General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Femeral neck stress fracture pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-24 1:54 PM

Subject: Femeral neck stress fracture pain
Hi,

I have a femeral neck stress fracture and have been sitting for 6 weeks, I aching/stinging in my hip but I have no idea if it is related to the stress fracture. My dr. had said that If i am not better in 2 more weeks that he may look into a rehab facility, i have never heard of that.

He also said he did not want to give me another MRI becuase it will not show much improvement, how am i suppose to know if i am healed. I do not know if this pain is related or just muscular.

Has anyone had this before and if so what was the pain like for you?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2013-08-24 7:05 PM
in reply to: michelle00

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Femeral neck stress fracture pain

Michelle, I'm sorry about your fracture. I had the same thing in 2010.

I had/have lingering pain and I honestly don't ever expect it to go away. Months of PT starting at about 6-8 weeks post diagnosis (I walked on mine for several weeks undiagnosed, and a misdiagnosis).

My pain is still there. I suspect its muscular damage, imbalances, inflammation, and bursa sac related. The area is still weak occasionally. Just tonight I was doing squats and could feel it in my hip, just above the fracture site.

I don't know what to tell you about the rehab facility. All I can say is that I was off crutches and starting to walk and was still in some pain. Not excruciating, unable to walk pain, but it was definitely there. That was when we starting working more in PT, which is also painful.

Sleeping on my left side (where the break was) and weather changes such as rain, cold front, cooling with humidity, extreme cold...all bring pain. Especially before a cold front.

I'm sorry I don't have more encouraging news, but I think if the Dr says more non-weight bearing time, then follow his advice. I think I was on crutches for more than 8 weeks, then progressed to light weight bearing, etc. I think if you're thinking you won't be in pain when the fracture is fully healed like small bones, then you're mistaken. I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I'd also say based on my break, that I was nowhere near ready for walking or aggressive PT at 6 weeks.

May I ask how old you are? I was 28-29 at the time of my break.

Hang in there, it will get better. Unfortunately it might have lingering effects for many years, but it does get better. I've run many marathons and ultras since, most without pain. The ones that have hurt were the ones where it was really cold!

2013-08-25 12:34 AM
in reply to: Comet

Well, I dont mind the pain as long as it is not the fracture. I am just so confused as to what pain is what. Then they tell me they will not give me another MRI becuase it wont show much differance from the first one. I am 42 by the way. Thanks for your input. I just want to swim or bike or something, i was winded walking up the stairs with a cane today. Good grief!!!

2013-08-25 7:17 AM

User image

Queen BTich
Did he tell you that you can't swim?! I was swimming after 2 months. It would have been sooner but I was deployed and didn't have access to a pool.

When I had access, I was crutching to the pool deck! I used a pull buoy and swam my heart out!

I'm not a Dr. but if you're 6 weeks and using a cane, he's had you progress faster than I did. I was STRICT non-weight bearing for much, much longer. That is one thing that was drilled into my head...let it heal fully, non-weight bearing.

I'm confused as to why he just won't give you another MRI. Doesn't cost him anything.

Does your insurance allow for a second opinion? I'm assuming the pain feels the same as your initial fracture pain? Mine hurt, but ended (still is) being more of a sore pain, sometimes sharp, or a "I can feel it" thing. Not a tear-inducing, hurts to walk pain like when I realized it was broken.
2013-08-25 2:20 PM

I am not on a cane I am on a walker, i cant use the crutches I have shoulder issues. So I sit and use the walker to go to the restroom and make lunch that is it. Being on the walker is not non weight bearing but that is all I can do. I could get a wheelchair but it wont fit through the doors in my house we measured it. I would swim but then I would have to use the walker to get to the pool and it is not non weight bearing.
2013-08-25 2:26 PM

He said if I get a MRI that it will not show any differnce from the first MRI, he said that they are behind (the MRI) in catching what is going on, I dont understand that. So he would give me another MRI but he is just saying that it wont show a difference in only 8 weeks. The pain I am experiencing is like stinging pain not deep inside like it was in the beginning.

That is what I am confused about what is what pain.

2013-08-30 7:52 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

It might show some healing at 8 weeks.  I had one too and I got a repeat scan at 6 weeks post diagnosis and it actually looked worse but it was probably the healing effect.  You need to walk before aggressive PT.  Non WB>>>partial WB>>>>full WB. Pt is not going to help the bone heal.  The femur is the biggest bone in your body and it is SLOW.  What you do not want is to have the fracture break thru because then you will need surgery..........in addition to having had a femoral neck stress fracture I am also a sports doc............Yeah I know

Also WHY did you get it?  You should ask for a  DEXA scan which is a bone density test to be sure that is OK.  Was it training error. unluck of the draw or something else.  If you let me know where you live I might be able to suggest a sports ortho for you to go see. 

2014-02-10 6:27 PM
in reply to: Socks

Subject: RE: Femeral neck stress fracture pain - 15 years old
HI everyone,

I was wondering if you could give encouragement and advice? How is your progress to anyone a month or two ahead of me in recovery?

Quick History:

1. Summer 2011: Played soccer and basketball pretty intensely and had major overuse injuries (muscular) and possible labrum issue which was ruled out as not surgically neccessary to fix. Xray and MRI with many orthos reviewing it. I was never in a lot of pain because I have a very high pain tolerance. My legs just stopped working. There were times I was in some pain, but not a lot. My mom took me in because I couldn't sprint. Was ordered to rest with no athletics for 8-12 weeks combined with PT. Gradually got back into soccer shape over the course of the season.
I was 12. Fully recovered . No issues until this past fall.

2. Fall 2013, Im almost 15. Had a fall with high school tennis every day and also was on the club soccer team. Our team had few subs so I was running hard as a midfielder for 40 min halves with little break. Games on weekends, 1-2 practices during the week when I could make it. Half way through the season my hips started to hurt. I mentioned something to my mom but kept playing. We went to the PT and did some PT but kept playing. Then it hurt really bad during the games and I couldn't run without it hurting. My hip also hurt at rest. Season was over after playing like this for 4 weeks. Did not go out for HS basketball. This whole time I was doing PT and no one suspected FNSF because I could jump on my leg without pain. Rested completely from sports Nov-Jan and still had aching pain in hip. Went back to Dr. first week in Jan. He ordered MRI. Called my mom and told me that I had FSFI and labrum detachment - not sure to what degree because we haven't seen MRI. He said that he also saw the same labrum issue but didn't think that was the cause of my pain bc there was no change from MRI in 2011 and I completely recovered last time. (Had no idea about partially detached labrum from the last one til then.)

SOOOO.... I have been on crutches for the last 4 weeks. I have been resting since Nov 9th and it is Feb 8th. One month was completely at rest with crutches.

Worried:
1. Do I have an issue with my labrum? 2. When should I ask for another MRI to see about healing? I really want to start gradually training. 3. Do I need to stay on crutches til I have absolutely no pain ever? I really want to play soccer this spring. Our season is mid March- beg. June.

Advice:
To those that run a lot and have been through this, please give me advice at how to get into soccer shape without hurting myself further.
Do I need to wait til I am completely pain free to start walking again? I am not in pain on crutches. I just got off of them after 1 month bc we had a school dance and my mom said I could as long as I didn't jump around. I have been walking for a few days now and I get sharp pains every now and then. Mom said I have to go back on crutches til we see my Dr. tomorrow. The pain is not that bad and it never really was. I don't think I had a major fracture because the sports doctor said follow up would be 4 weeks with him after being on crutches.

My mom and I want to be prepared to speak to him tomorrow; if anyone can respond with advice, it would be great. Thanks for advice on the DEXA scan, Champion.

I do not stretch enough and I don't know how to listen to my body. I have a very high pain tolerance. Worried because I will want to push myself always and now cannot judge. Will this heal completely?

Thank you!

2014-02-10 6:59 PM

How are you doing? I am a few months behind you and wondering if you are back at it yet?
2014-02-12 11:55 AM
in reply to: CCE17

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by CCE17 How are you doing? I am a few months behind you and wondering if you are back at it yet?

I am not sure where you are from but J. Thomas Byrd MD in Nashville TN is one of the best hip docs in the world.  If you are in CA I would recommend Sharon Hame MD At UCLA who is also excellent.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Femeral neck stress fracture pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

femoral neck stress fracture

Started by 1111
Views: 2205 Posts: 3

2013-04-23 10:36 PM Comet

Pain at site of healed stress fracture

Started by Artemis
Views: 1561 Posts: 3

2013-04-20 10:52 PM Artemis

Ankle pain - Confirmed not a stress fracture

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 969 Posts: 1

2012-03-02 11:39 AM TheClaaaw

Stress fracture (No pain)?

Started by wdpresta
Views: 2298 Posts: 2

2010-12-02 7:32 AM SLOWTEX

Lateral Foot Pain...Maybe Not a Stress Fracture?

Started by jschmitchicago
Views: 1143 Posts: 2

2006-06-30 4:43 PM hjmiii
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 18, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I expected to hurt after the marathon, and I did but there was nothing that I was immediately alarmed about. Since then, the foot pain that popped up after the marathon has not really gone away.

date : April 23, 2012
Suggestions for other activities to do while recovering from a stress fracture.
date : February 22, 2012
How long does it take to heal a stress fracture? How should my training look when trying to get back into it?

date : May 9, 2011
Stress fractures are one of the most feared injuries in the realm of endurance sports and they are also one of the most common sidelining injuries that such athletes face.
date : September 17, 2008
I still have heel pain and shin pain, and now I've got a weird pain in the center of my foot. Do you think I should have an x-ray to make sure that I don't have a stress fracture in my foot?

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : July 3, 2006
Is there anything that I can do to lessen the chances of stress fractures. I have had no luck with the doctors I have seen. Some have advised orthotics, some say there is nothing that can be done.