General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheels for Clydesdales Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-24 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Subject: Wheels for Clydesdales
It's been a while since I've been here or ridden. In the last few weeks, I've gotten back on the bike in an effort to drop some of the weight I've put back on from not working out. The bike's a champ; it's been through a lot of moves with me, but today, I discovered that the rear wheel is cracked. And I mean blown out. In other words, no riding at all until I can have it replaced.

What's a good rear wheel for a clydesdale rider? Right now I'm pushing close to 260 and have recently been riding 50 miles/week. My plan was to bump that up to 60-70 or so then reintroduce a run/walk program into my routine. In other words, I don't plan on being 260 for long!

I ride a 2005 Trek 2100 with a Bontrager Race wheelset. I need a replacement. Nothing fancy, but I'd rather not have a crappy wheel on a nice bike. I don't plan on racing and only putting on miles for relaxation and weight-loss.

What say ye? Any advice? The front wheel is just fine so I don't need a whole wheelset, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to replacement parts.

2013-08-25 9:56 PM
in reply to: sranney

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Wheels for Clydesdales
The reason your wheels cracked was not due to your bodyweight. Trek had a huge problem with wheels from that wintage cracking / disintigrating even while on display at bike shops. The front wheel on my Trek Equinox cracked, and I'm only 175 kbs. The sad part was Trek did not initiate a recall, and the Consumer Protection branch of the gov't did not determine a recall was necessary. As a result, I will never buy another Trek or Bontrager product again.

Anyway, back to wheel recommendations for you. 40 hole, reinforced eyelets, Mavic touring rim with 14/15 gage double butted spokes laced to a Shimano 105 hub. The front wheel can have 32 spokes since it supports less weight . A touring rin is designed for heavier loads, whether it's from the rider or camping gear. You will be able to use 700c X 28 tires and have fewer pinch flats, Finding 40 hole hubs might be a challenge since they are rarely used. You may end up with wheel from two different brands until you are light enough from 32 hole rims.
2013-08-26 6:03 AM
in reply to: sranney

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Get a set of handbuilt Mavic Open Pro laced to Ultegra hubs (32 front and rear) with good quality spokes (Sapim or DT Swiss). Won't cost a fortune and will last forever.
2013-08-26 12:27 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Originally posted by Six000MileYear

The reason your wheels cracked was not due to your bodyweight. Trek had a huge problem with wheels from that wintage cracking / disintigrating even while on display at bike shops. The front wheel on my Trek Equinox cracked, and I'm only 175 kbs. The sad part was Trek did not initiate a recall, and the Consumer Protection branch of the gov't did not determine a recall was necessary. As a result, I will never buy another Trek or Bontrager product again.

Anyway, back to wheel recommendations for you. 40 hole, reinforced eyelets, Mavic touring rim with 14/15 gage double butted spokes laced to a Shimano 105 hub. The front wheel can have 32 spokes since it supports less weight . A touring rin is designed for heavier loads, whether it's from the rider or camping gear. You will be able to use 700c X 28 tires and have fewer pinch flats, Finding 40 hole hubs might be a challenge since they are rarely used. You may end up with wheel from two different brands until you are light enough from 32 hole rims.

Thanks for the heads up. I did some quick research today on the Bontrager rim-cracking issue and discovered that Trek replaced a number of wheels, well after the warranty was out, for individuals that had this issue. I contacted the dealer from whom I bought the ride back in 2005 to ask if anything can be done. There is no Trek dealer in the town in which I currently live (Laramie, Wyoming).

Barring a lack of support from Trek/Bontrager, I looked into some Mavic Open Pros with a Shimano hub. They appear to be oddly affordable from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse.

Probably won't make a decision until I hear back from the dealer, but at least the Mavic option is available.

Thanks -

SR
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheels for Clydesdales Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wheels for Clydesdale

Started by Boreal
Views: 2272 Posts: 10

2012-10-30 9:21 AM japarker24

?, riding clydesdale aero wheels but not a clydesdale

Started by Team James
Views: 1307 Posts: 4

2010-09-22 8:34 PM Team James

Wheel upgrades for Clydesdale

Started by ajotto
Views: 649 Posts: 6

2006-09-26 3:29 PM tkbslc

Wheels for a Clydesdale?????

Started by Irish Stu
Views: 1013 Posts: 9

2006-08-31 9:14 AM RedCorvette

wheels for clydesdales

Started by jwgiberson
Views: 808 Posts: 3

2004-12-28 8:57 AM sharad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : January 16, 2007
author : AMSSM
I suspect your nutrition and training program may have more to do with your symptoms than your Clydesdale classification.

date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?