General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Full Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Full Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penn Yan, New York
United States
Peasantman Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 25m 59s
Overall Rank = 12/27
Age Group = 50 - 54
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Checked bike in day before. Was surprised that only 27 in the full, but ~200 in the half. Finally worked out how I would manage nutrition. Would see special needs bag 4 times on bike and 8 times on run. So I took everything I needed and could rely on my own blend of Infinit. Perfect.
Arrived at 6 am, dropped off special needs bags (8 bottles of infinit in bike and 3x 10 oz bottles of x4 concentrate for run)
Event warmup:

Put wetsuit on and gazed out, terrified, over the lake wondering how on earth I was going to swim that monstrous distance... twice. I peed...
Swim
  • 1h 32m 8s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was choppier than expected. Alternated breast and freestyle to try to minimize fatigue as I had never trained for mare than an hour before this and just tried to take it very easy. Thought I was at the back of the back but I guess I was somewhere in the middle. With a 'mass' start of 27 there wasn't much of a whirlpool effect! After first lap I nipped out on shore to my stashed bottle of Infinit and drained it. Got back in and started to enjoy the swim at last. Started to see a few yellow caps before the end.
What would you do differently?:

Swim further than 1.5 miles in training
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

Still a few bikes on the front rack which made me feel good. Dried my feet and took my time. Walked bike with my shoes on for a change.
Bike
  • 6h 40m 33s
  • 116.2 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Beautiful course, no real hard climbs but definitely rolling, with a gentle overall climb over the first 28 miles and a thundering descent for the last 1. Hmmm... I would have preferred the other way round I think. Loop one saw the family and some other boosters which was a real boost (I guess thats why they call them that). Stopped each time round to swap bottles. Was going quicker than plan and it was cooler than expected so I needed less infinit than I planned. Tried to be discrete bur sorry if I grossed anyone out - peeing plenty despite sweat crusting up my suit. It got pretty lonely out there for loops 3 and 4 as the halfers disappeared. Had a bacon and marmite butty (yes I used to be British) on lap three that was delicious but slowed me up some I think. Passed an ex-colleagure on lap 4 - 20 years younger and super fit. Ha! That felt sooooo good even though I knew he would destroy me on the run (he did). Then passed a girl who I would later find was the Robin that had all the road writing in her honor. She deserved it - she came back by me on the descent and showed me how it should be ridden. I topped 40 mph trying to keep up with her plunge back into Penn Yann, but she was moving away. Wow!

Ride that hill like that every time. Train more than 88 miles beforehand.
Transition 2
  • 05m 40s
Comments:

Got changed into running shorts, new (dry!) socks. Felt good to be in clean, dry clothes. Gooped up my feet with body glide

Use a little less body glide. My feet were sliding around in my shoes and I had to stop several times to unbunch my socks - but Hey - I didn't get a single blister.
Run
  • 5h 03m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch! Stuck to plan. 2 minute walk, 8 minute run.This had allowed me to do a 21 mile training run in 9:30s - not here! Felt good setting out and a friend jogged with me for the first mile (thanks Gary!). Damn it ! The sun came out and suddenly it was sweltering - I don't do well in heat. I came across the first turnaround and there was no one there so I wasn't sure and I kept going a couple of minutes past it - oops! After 6 miles it was getting very tough - everything hurt - it hurt more to walk than to run, but I was too exhausted to keep running - kept at the 2/8. Going past the finish 3 times before finally being able to cross it was just plain mean. Kept on my Infinit plan - used water at the aid stations to dilute a concentrate - and kept hydrated. It was getting very quiet out there, just 25 of us on 3 miles of road going back and forth - back and forth. The sun was dropping (thank heavens) and the aid stations were now self-service. Got handed a flashlight at the last turnaround and I now knew that I would make it. Hobbled across the line with Karen - did I mention my wife had been there the whole day for me? what a effin' hero - and was knighted by the King of the Fingerlakes and, holy crap, I am a Steelman!

more training
Post race
Warm down:

OMG - I have never been so uncomfortable driving (being driven) home. No matter how I twisted, reclined, put my legs on the dash; everything was cramping up and I was whimpering like a girl../

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always,I dedicate my complete lack of athleticism to my parents (read 'The Sports Gene' by David Epstein). Oh yeah - that and the fact that I only completed about one third of the planned training.

Event comments:

First year and this race was just awesome!!!! I would recommend it to anyone - it was relaxed friendly and fun and delivered a full distance event on my doorstep for a fraction of the cost of 'other events' (yeah - keep my $700 from the IM I couldn't attend, you won't get any more from me). Keuka lake and Penn Yan is just stunning. Two niggles - a few people had trouble with the lanes coming back in from the bike course and not enough volunteers left in the evening when the few full distance guys were still going. This race will be HUGE next year.

Last updated: 2012-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:08 | 4224 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 15/27
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction Full
Course: 2 loop rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:40:33 | 116.2 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Overall: 9/27
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4 loops
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:03:38 | 26.2 miles | 11m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 12/27
Performance:
Course: Out and back x 4
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-25 2:29 AM

User image

Subject: Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Full Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Full Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Half Course

Started by bdenehy
Views: 1195 Posts: 2

2013-08-20 6:13 AM kenj

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

Started by dexter
Views: 1521 Posts: 4

2013-08-20 7:43 AM isis

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

Started by kenj
Views: 2441 Posts: 7

2013-08-22 10:12 AM acv

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by Tkimble01
Views: 1371 Posts: 1

2010-06-28 3:07 PM Tkimble01

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 1290 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 1:37 PM fcrellin791
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 26, 2005
author : mikericci
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.