World Triathlon Corporation
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 25m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Slept well; about six hours or so in the New Cabin at Dinsaukee. Got up at 3:15, had breakfast and chanced a cup of coffee with my brother, then we drove to the site and got there a little after four. Got psyched listening to a live Black Sabbath bootleg I just got. Went to the bathroom, then set up transition.
Event warmup:

I just swung my arms around a bit to loosen up. Didn't go into the water. I was in wave four.
Swim
  • 41m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Considering how little I had swum in the past year, I did amazingly well. It helps that I'm really comfortable swimming in open water, and I'm much more comfortable swimming in a crowd. It doesn't even bother me when people touch me anymore. I didn't get out of breath in the first few hundred yards at all. I definitely could have swum faster but in light of my lack of training I felt that I had to conserve energy. At one point a girl who was in the wave ahead of me bobbed up ahead with her arms in the air, asking for help. The kayak got to her quickly. This was only in the first leg of the swim. She must have panicked.
Transition 1
  • 05m 9s
Comments:

Another slow transition for me, but I wasn't in any hurry. I did notice that I didn't feel shaky the way I usually do heading out of the swim.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out a little slow, but quickly got into a groove. Big Red was humming along, and I really started to hammer it on the long straight section. Unfortunately I had to stop after only about ten miles to pee, and two times more after that. I only drank about two bottles of water and half of a gatorade, but that is apparently more than I need. I was flying along, though, in between stops and was starting to think I should ease off a bit because I wanted to save for the run. I was averaging over 19mph for the first 30 miles. Unfortunately, my bike fell over during one of the stops; I also got sand in my cleats and had to stop a few hundred yards away to get it out so I could clip in. Based on the difference between my Garman time and the official time, I figure I lost almost ten minutes in stops. Somewhere between 30 and 40 miles, I saw Liz and the boys and got inspired, then discovered that I couldn't drop into the small ring anymore. Jonny passed me a little after that. At about 40 miles, the lack of low gear was starting to hurt me, especially because I now found that I wasn't shifting smoothly into the big rings on my cassette either, just as I got into the hills. I saw one of my twitter friends at around mile 40, but although I was managing to keep up, I stopped to see what the problem with my gears was. It looked like both derailleur cables were crimped, which meant that fixing them wasn't possible on the course. I pressed on, but eased off considerably, knowing that the largest hills were ahead. My legs started to get really tired in miles 45-50, and I was discouraged about a second consecutive year of mechanical issues slowing me down. The combination of these things made me wonder how much walking I was going to end up having to do on the run. It was a fun ride overall, though, despite another year of issues with the bladder and the bike. And note-- there are way too many riders who can't hold a line on the bike, weaving in and out, which is tough when it's a crowded course like Timberman. I did do well with nutrition-- I ate a power bar in sections and drank a little gatorade. No gels.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously, I need to train more. I really only had two months of good bike riding this year. I still did well, though, although needed more time in aero in training. I should be more careful about not letting my bike fall over when I stop, and now I know to tap the sand out of my cleats before hopping on the bike. I guess that I can drink less than I do, especially on a day when it wasn't very warm. The sun came out a bit during the bike, but there was thin cloud cover much of the time.
Transition 2
  • 05m 16s
Comments:

The guy next to me in transition had racked his bike in my spot, and covered his spot with a huge gear bag. My only option was to put my wheel on his bag, after sliding his bike over for room. I wasted a few moments thinking about going to the other side of the rack and moving it, but that would've been too much. What an idiot. I also struggled a bit with getting my VFFs on. Sometimes my toes just slide right into place, but on this day they weren't cooperating at all.

Not sure how to deal with the racking issue. I obviously still need to get going more quickly in transition.
Run
  • 2h 15m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started the run, I felt really tired and thought that it was going to be a long day. Still, I was running faster than I wanted to, so kept trying to slow myself down to conserve energy-- I would deliberately hang behind people that I usually would pass in an effort to keep my pace down. I still was under 10 min for the first few miles, which was faster than I wanted to. I had no issues with blisters at all this year; my feet felt fine. The sharp right knee pain which I'd felt the night before was nowhere in evidence; more proof that any pains that show up in the last week before the race aren't anything to worry about. It was mile 7 before I realized that I was doing pretty well and I let myself think that this is the point in most half-marathons where I start to slow down. I did struggle for a few miles here, but passing Jon three times (he was ahead, going in the other direction) helped, as did getting compliments on my shoes and my running posture (the result of my shoes). I also saw a guy running in Luna sandals! No completely barefoot people this year. As I approached the turnaround for the last time, I heard one of the runners exclaim excitedly, "Is that beer??" and sure enough the spectators were handing out cups of some very tasty microbrew. This girl next to me and I looked at each other, shrugged, grabbed beers and drank them. What the hell, only 3 miles or so to go. During those three miles, my mood, possibly fortified with alcohol (not normally considered a PED), got steadily better, until I found myself grinning throughout most of the last mile. I sprinted down the chute to the finish, definitely the best I've ever felt during that stretch. Andy Potts, who had won the race, was there to put on my medal.

Again, to start, I needed to train more. I only ran 100 miles once all year, the last month of training. With that, I felt that the run went great, especially considering how I felt coming off the bike. I did have to stop once to pee, which I'd like to eliminate somehow. It's clear I could've pushed myself harder, but given my lack of training, I had no idea I could do as well as I did on this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, found Jon, walked into the lake, which was chilly, then went to get food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training.

Event comments:

I really had no business doing as well as I did, yet I easily could've done better with more effort. I love this race, and having a place one mile from transition was a huge bonus. It was great getting to walk down to watch the Sprint race on Saturday morning. I was pretty tired the rest of the day, and a little stiff on Monday, but by Tuesday I basically felt fine. I guess I'll do Timberman again next year.

Last updated: 2013-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Two turns, clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:18:23 | 56 miles | 16.94 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back; hills at beginning and end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 05:16
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:15:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Course: Two loops of an out-and-back course. Mostly shaded, although the sun wasn't much of an issue this year. The temp was 69 when I started and the thin cloud cover helped keep it comfortable.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-25 1:09 PM

User image

PA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Timberman

2013-08-30 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4838395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman
Nice race, Bob!  You really did great, considering your lack of training.  I wish I could do that!  All the pictures of you showed a happy grin!  Congratulations!  Cool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Timberman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by skitri
Views: 3214 Posts: 3

2012-07-02 9:26 AM cobratodd

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by mhan22
Views: 2874 Posts: 2

2013-08-28 2:41 PM Atomak

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by UMAN
Views: 2113 Posts: 1

2011-08-22 8:39 AM UMAN

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by wanger1285
Views: 1711 Posts: 1

2011-06-09 7:41 PM wanger1285

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by dbeach
Views: 2268 Posts: 1

2010-10-05 7:58 AM dbeach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.