Without Limits Productions
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m 33s
Overall Rank = 60/211
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/37
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 am and had a few handfuls of rice chex cereal. Ocky picked me up at 5 am and we drove up to the course. Ate my Bonk bar and banana around 5:30 am. Packet pickup/transition set up.
Event warmup:

Ten minute run. Stretched out my left calf.
Swim
  • 34m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Actual swim time was 33:30 or 1:58/100. Water level was way low so the bottom was pretty silty and shallow. Race started and I actually walked for about ten yards before it got deep enough to swim. First 100 yards was very silty/murky but then the lake deepened and it was fine. First few hundred were good but then my shoulders got a bit sore. Had a few people swimming across me on the way out. Watched with fascination a guy swimming directly towards shore who nearly made it. Finished pretty strong and jogged the 250 yards to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Having a crap swim is making triathlon frustrating. I constantly start races in the hole and have to fight through the field to make up time. Not such a big deal in road tri but tougher in XTERRA. Until I can figure out what causes my shoulder pain (which I have yet to), this is the reality of tri for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Not bad. Took time to put on socks because of the distances involved.

condition my feet to go sockless more often.
Bike
  • 1h 50m 25s
  • 22 miles
  • 11.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off feeling decent and my HR wasn't too bad from the swim a la Beaver Creek. 8000 feet is apparently easier than 9000 feet. The nice thing was that it was flat going out and then a long downhill to the trail system, which allowed my HR to normalize before any hard efforts on the bike were required. Took the downhill fast but didn't take any risks. Entered the trail system and ran into a section that I didn't get to ride in my pre-ride. This actually turned out to have the only technical sections so I wish I had. Good effort throughout the ride and continually passed people and was never passed. My goal was to push the bike harder than Beaver Creek and I think I did this. Ended up riding with another guy from my AG for most of the second half of the course. He'd kill me on the descents and I'd catch up later. Finally dropped him on the last long climb back to transition. Left knee started to bug me towards the end of the ride a la Beaver Creek. Need to get this figured out as it's very random.

Bike continues to improve though I need to figure out how to specifically train the mtb.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Fairly fast here though I should have dismounted a la road tri.
Run
  • 34m 19s
  • 5 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off feeling pretty good but then my legs felt a bit flat on the first climb out from transition. Power walked one section, got my breath back, and then felt great for the rest. Stomach felt good and no side cramps this time. Once I got through the single track/tight stuff, I started to open it up more on the service road. Passed lots of people and was never passed. Finished strong.

A little bit of a mental thing on the run as I had heard it was short but I didn't know how short, if any, it was. A local had told me before the race he thought it was four miles to hike around the lake. So in my head I didn't know if it was 4, 4.5, 5? This kind of messed with my pace a bit. I think it was pretty close to 5 in the end; wish I had my GPS for it!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched. Had some active release done on my left quad/knee and rolled it a bit. Grabbed some food and waited for Ocky and Matt to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. Need to figure out how to train more specifically for XTERRA. These age groupers are ridiculously fast. My age groups rankings were a little more in line compared to my road tri results but I still can't crack the top ten. Next year is IM so we'll see what I can do in 2015.

Event comments:

Absolutely beautiful venue. This was my favorite XTERRA race thus far. The water level was low for the swim but it worked. Bike course was challenging with a variety of terrain. And the run was amazing with having to cross a small river, hop over downed trees, and navigate a steep log staircase. I plan on racing again.

Last updated: 2013-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:53 | 1640 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/37
Overall: 126/211
Performance: Good
16:30 after first lap
Suit:
Course: Two laps of an out and back without getting out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:50:25 | 22 miles | 11.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/37
Overall: 71/211
Wind:
Course: Down a long dirt road to the actual trail system, which was sort of a figure eight. Not sure what the elevation gain was but guessing 2000 plus feet.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:19 | 05 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/37
Overall: 27/211
Course: Loop around Lake Wellington. Combination of service roads and single track with a log stair case and small water crossing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-25 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: XTERRA Buffalo Creek

2013-08-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4838401

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Subject: RE: XTERRA Buffalo Creek
Nice...you're overall is 20 min faster than me but I wonder if I was the guy in the downhills. I could imagine losing 10 min on the last climb and 10 min in the run. Remember what he was riding? That was my best part of the day.
2013-08-26 2:54 PM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Originally posted by indianhillsted Nice...you're overall is 20 min faster than me but I wonder if I was the guy in the downhills. I could imagine losing 10 min on the last climb and 10 min in the run. Remember what he was riding? That was my best part of the day.

Hey.  So the guy I rode with most of the back portion of the course I believe had 44 on his calf.  He about wiped out on one washout on a road and made the comment that his motocross experience saved his there.  He also went about 15 feet off course just before the part of the course where you went down the huge rock.

2013-08-26 5:27 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Indian Hills, CO
That wasn't me. Thought it might be as I would have someone right behind me and then head downhill and they'd be gone...they'd always catch me climbing. I love that Baldy downhill!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Buffalo Creek Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA Buffalo Creek

Started by kenaxford
Views: 1342 Posts: 4

2008-06-24 10:37 AM wgraves7582

XTERRA Buffalo Creek

Started by PintoRacer
Views: 908 Posts: 1

2007-06-18 9:59 PM PintoRacer

Buffalo Creek Xterra

Started by bigslowguy
Views: 1098 Posts: 1

2007-06-18 7:11 PM bigslowguy

Buffalo Creek Triathlon - Nissan Xterra Point Series

Started by mtskibum
Views: 1077 Posts: 8

2007-06-27 3:26 PM wsm9363

Buffalo Creek Xterra

Started by markdills38
Views: 1196 Posts: 10

2005-06-20 1:22 PM Alpine87
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Wetsuit guide for triathletes - manufacturers, sizing and maintenance.