General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What program or site do you use to record workouts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: adelsud

User image

Subject: RE: What program or site do you use to record workouts?
Originally posted by adelsud

My favorite part of this post is reading what everyone else uses. I uses Strava for Run & Bike - because it's on my phone and my now broken Nike GPS watch only had a setting for runs.

I really, really don't care what program I use so long as it's really easy (meaning no data entry post workout), and I can see all the information quickly. It appears as though Garmin probably fits that.

If you want fun & something to "gamify" your training (give you other people's workouts to compete against) then both Nike & Strava provide that on runs and biking respectively.

Garmin seems to be the only company with a seamless device (watch) to computer process that captures multiple different activities and logs them coherently. I don't have a Garmin but apparently I need one. A 910xt to be precise.

910xt is what I am asking Santa for, But I use a Garmin 405cx (great buy on Ebay). Also a strava, MyFitnessPal, MapmyRun, BT, for tracking everything.

If I had to pick one, I would pick Strava for workouts, and Myfitnesspal for Food. LOL I Know that's not one.

2013-08-26 6:10 PM
in reply to: Ridgeway

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I used BT exclusively for a few years, then switched to TrainingPeaks early last year, because that's what I use with my coached clients.  I also upload some sessions to Strava for fun, and Garmin Connect, because I've never been able to get the uploads directly to TP to work properly (I think it's because I have a coaching account with them with multiple athletes under it.)

I frequently recommend to people to use the logs here on BT if you're not working with a coach, but especially if you don't need some of the extra features on TP, such as the PMC.

2013-08-26 6:40 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Sensei
Sin City

BT for all my detailed training.

Fitbit for nutrition/activity/sleep

And since it does it anyway, I keep all my garmin stuff backed up on Garmin Connect/Training Calendar.

I used to use the free version of sportraks because it had some nice editing features which non of the others had, but got tired of tracking workouts in 4 places. 

BT is still my serious workout location - mostly because of the ease of coordinating planned workouts you download into the logs and actual.

2013-08-26 7:30 PM

User image

Pro

I started using Nike+, but that didn't offer much resolution.  Very motivational tho'.

then I found Daily Mile.  Great social 'scene' there.  Not the best for history, but I like its mapping capability.

Then I got a Garmin- so started using Garmin Connect.  Fine- but only if the swim/bike/run was tracked via GPS- which not all of my workouts are.

then I found BT.  Liked it because it tracked all sports separately and has good graphing capability, handles power and has a pretty extensive ability to track gear utilization- shoe and bike miles.

But then I found Strava- which is just a hoot going for PR's and KOMs.  Can't live without that.

And then I got a power meter, so I also need to log everything in Golden Cheetah for power analysis.

My wife has more or less learned to leave me alone for 20 min after each run/ride so I can log.  it's part of the process.

2013-08-26 7:32 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Starting logging my workouts here since 2005 and have logged each and every one since ...truly one of the best benefits of this site. Even when using a coach where I had to upload to Training Peaks, I would still upload to BT to keep a consistent record. Now after a training hiatus I am finding my old training logs not only instructional but inspirational to maintain momentum.

Take the disciplined approach and not only upload your raw data but also take advantage of the ability to track other variables such as RPE, tracking 'nigglings' throughout your body that are often the precursors to injuries, how you reacted in heat/humity as well as hydration + nutrition taken during training (instrumental to my IM training for race day game plan).

Sure other sites have one-off this or that, but BT logs are the constant ...and couldn't be easier to use with the seamless device uploads.

2013-08-26 8:58 PM
in reply to: brian

User image

Master
BT, Garmin Connect, Strava, Sporttracks and now Sporttracks Mobil.

BT is the original and longest used. Once I got a garmin I started using garmin connect as well. Then started using strava for the social aspect. However, the best of them all is sporttracks. Hands down. All kinds of cool plug ins you can download. Very functional...but has a small learning curve. DC Rainmaker has advocated it's use for awhile. They just came out with Mobil functionality.

2013-08-26 9:09 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

I used to use Nike+ before I started triathlon, since I was pretty much only running. I've been using Endomondo for awhile now, and I really like it. Doesn't give you the nitty gritty like some others, but it's got a slick interface, a great mobile app, and it's easy enough to track just about any kind of sport. Plus, gives you really nice HR Zone charts

photo ScreenShot2013-08-14at54515PM.png

(After a 1mi TT on a hilly course)

photo Capture-7.png

(some short treadmill slog).
2013-08-26 9:12 PM

User image

Master
BT gets uploaded first followed by Training Peaks for the coach to see and then RunningAhead to share with some people who want to see my data. I use GoldenCheetah to look at my powertap data.
2013-08-27 9:59 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
IMO, BT offers everything I could ask for. I like the KISS principle. I like to spend more time racing/ training/eating/sleeping/playing instead of on the computer.
2013-08-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Anyone else using SportTracks Mobile (online version)? Just found out about this one. Looks promising.
2013-08-27 10:18 AM
in reply to: brrit

User image

Master
I've been using SportTracks on my desktop/laptop for two years. Still using the desktop version but it syncs automatically to the "cloud" and then shows up on the mobil version. Its a good repository of data. The desktop/laptop version has much more robust capabilities.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What program or site do you use to record workouts? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Potential scam site using PayPal logo

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 1050 Posts: 2

2010-11-10 12:13 AM TriAya

Who is doing a first Marathon this Fall-What program are you using

Started by davidson3
Views: 1332 Posts: 10

2009-06-03 12:28 PM redfoot31415

Site that keeps records of all races?!?!?

Started by BbMoozer
Views: 605 Posts: 8

2007-05-07 1:01 PM BbMoozer

Mapping site that uses addresses and intersections?

Started by matthewjt
Views: 685 Posts: 3

2007-02-18 11:26 PM cadreamer

anyone used a site called bicyclebuys?

Started by kellc09
Views: 540 Posts: 2

2007-01-18 12:23 PM bcotten534
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Swimming for Triathlons

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.