General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lakeville, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Multisport Events
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 27m 39s
Overall Rank = 596/645
Age Group = Clydsdale
Age Group Rank = 18/20
Pre-race routine:

Stayed over at the host hotel allowing me a LOT more sleep. Actually slept extremely well considering how I normally do not sleep at all before a race.
Event warmup:

Ate a quick breakfast at the hotel with DK, set up transition and gassbagged.
Swim
  • 26m 57s
  • 1422 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was not quite as good as it was on Sat. I had a very hard time catching consistent feet. It was still a decent swim, so I have no real beef.
What would you do differently?:

Line up in the wave closer to the front to try and get a better start.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

pretty solid T1. It was 15 seconds longer than sat. T1, but the run in was just a little longer. Had a small issue with getting on my riding shoes, which was probably the bigger issue.

Overall happy with the consistency.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 16.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I ended up with a dry mouth by the end of the ride. Think I needed to push some more fluids. Also should have put at least one more gel in the flask.

train. Lack of hill training really showed. I was forced to sit up more than I would have liked, and out of the saddle a bunch to get the blood moving some more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

This was an ok T2. Went for some electrolight tabs to help with possible GI and cramping issues. Got razzed by one of the former RDs for not enough hustle. He was right, but it was all in fun.

Not much, I was tired
Run
  • 1h 17m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal #1, finish. Goal #2 not walk. Goal #3 have fun. Mission accomplished on first two, and considering that I was redlining the whole run, I will accept #3 as done as well. Got passed a ton, but got some great encouragement. Also ended up with someone to run with around mile 5. Again, I picked up a run walker, and had her slow down to stay running. She put together a great kick in the last 1/4 mile as we entered the grassy area. It is great satisfaction to help someone put together a strong finish. I know the feeling well from the Sudbury finish this year.

When the run started, I figured I would walk run, but decided to see what I had. I knew I put almost everything I had into the bike and saved only a little. I even tried to re pass Glen early in the bike just to say I did it and see the look on his face. This little stunt was not the best idea, but was fun, and that is what it is all about.

train, what else is new.
Post race
Warm down:

Here I died. Two years ago, I laid down totally spent and ended up with EMTs all over me to make sure I was ok. I stumbled over to a chair and sat down. I think DK and Scott came over first. My nose was going numb, and I was afraid I would get a bloody nose. I also felt like I would pass out at any minute. When I push with the IV or bust mentality, I keep pushing harder and getting closer to it. This race was BRUTAL! By no means was it my fastest, but tactically, I think it was my best.

I had to ask a volunteer to get me a bagel that was on a table less than 10 ft away. I knew I desperately needed the carbs, but could not stand to get them. I am pretty sure I would have passed out if I had tried.

Next I think Glen and Joann came by. The carbs from the first bagel started to kick in and after about 25 minutes, or what seemed like that long, I stood back up. Grabbed a second bagel 1/2 and started to shuffle out of transition. I think it took about 10 minutes to walk the less than 1/2 mile from the finish line to transition. I wanted to grab my crocs so I could go for a dip in the lake.

On the way to transition, I started to think clearer. I also tried to put into perspective what I had just done. On May 1 of 2012, I had heart surgery. Mentally, I was unprepared to start working out again even though I had the all clear from the docs.I deferred my entry to Cranberry to use this year. Throughout the weekend, I tried to remember how lucky we are to be able to choose to put ourselves through these physical tests as a hobby.It is an expensive sport and that can limit many people from attempting to race. This was quite humbling.

At this point, I was already emotional when I came up with a profound thought. I raced as hard as I safely could on the bike, leaving a little something to try and run the whole last leg. I just put my head down and paced to Eminem's "Til I collapse" in my head the entire run. I ran slow, I tried extremely hard.. I never hit the wall. Instead, I rand right through it to the other side.

At this point, I had to do everything I could to not just drop to my knees and cry with joy. It was equal if not a greater joy than when I broke 3 hours at this race years ago. This was a slightly expected experience, but much more strong than I had anticipated.

Finally, I made it to the water and sank in. My body responded better than expected. I just kind of sat down let my arms float and closed my eyes. I was looking towards the sun. The feeling I got was as close as I have ever gotten to a religious experience. When I exited the water I was refreshed and could walk normal again. I was almost ready to go out and do it all over just because ( well metaphorically at least).

Joined Scott, DK Glen and Joann for lunch. Joann took first....again. Overall this was a great time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

train damn it!

Event comments:

I so love this race. You know it is good when DK show up on race day to volunteer, and they do not need it. We had such a great time that DK and I actually helped out for the kids race on Sat, after we had raced our sprint. So happy I did this and hope to get the band back together next year.

To add to all of the other great things about today's race, I was actually faster this year on the oly than 2 years ago by over 5 minutes!!!!!

Last updated: 2013-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:57 | 1422 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 320/645
Performance: Average
Suit: QR
Course: hourglass around the edge of the lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:37:59 | 26.2 miles | 16.10 mile/hr
Overall: 589/645
Wind: Little
Course: Very nice winding course through the lakes and mostly in the shade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:17:36 | 06.2 miles | 12m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 622/645
Course: Big loop with a good hill at mile 5, smaller one around mile 4. Mostly in the shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-25 6:08 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

2013-08-25 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4838568

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

Congrats on a well executed race and on getting back out there!

I've heard this is a great race, and it sounds like you had a terrific day.

Matt

2013-08-25 6:41 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
definitely worth putting on your must do race list. Thanks for reading.
2013-08-25 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4838568

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Super effort Joe!!! Solid! Great hanging out with you after. Fun with DK, Scott and you.
2013-08-25 6:53 PM
in reply to: Ontherun

User image

Pro
MA

Joe,  I don't like you.  You had a major physical set back last year, was severely under-trained, yet you raced back-to-back in 2 days and get good results!

Nice to be racing with you again.

2013-08-25 6:55 PM
in reply to: D.K.

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Train smarter, not harder :p. I think it is the reverse taper I was trying to do that made all the difference

2013-08-30 10:40 AM
in reply to: Ontherun

User image

Melon Presser

I love you.

I want to be you when I grow up.

{MELON PRESS}

Be.

Just be.

And don't you ever stop doing that.

2013-08-30 11:43 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
I think this race may have been as close to self actualization as I will ever get. 9 years in triathlon and thing sometimes just work because they do.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

Started by egenchrt320
Views: 1405 Posts: 2

2012-08-28 1:44 PM Socks

Started by Slim50
Views: 1131 Posts: 1

2012-08-27 4:31 PM Slim50

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 2374 Posts: 10

2012-08-31 2:08 PM Socks

Started by tigers75
Views: 1551 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 10:31 AM Socks

Started by c2fd
Views: 1405 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 10:33 AM Socks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.