Global Event Management
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = 193/457
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 5:45am. Ate two pieces of toast with PB and coffee and one gatorade. Drove an hour to the race. I'm not sure why more Mainers don't do this race as it is really close to home.
Event warmup:

Waited in line for a long while. The registation people "lost" my timing chip for #187. So I had to wait until they figured out what to do. They finally decided to give me a new number (600). Went to my transition or what was suppossed to be my transition and setup shop.

Here's my total stupid move of the year!!! I gave my goodies bag to my wife and since the weather was a little rainy she decided not to hang around and left with the kids and the goodies bag to drive around town. About 5 minutes later I realized that I left my timing chip in the goodies bag. So I ran to the parking lot about 1/4 mile away to see if I could find her. I had no luck so I ran back to the regitration area and asked for another number. I could tell that they were rather pissed at me but they were gracious enough and gave me a new number (598). I am such a dumb ass sometimes.

Anyways it turns out that I didn't make it on the results thingy for some reason. But somebody with initial timing chip (187) attached to my name (Jeff Martin) finished in 1:42. But that ain't me. So my times I have here are estimated based on my bike computer and my halfway time of the run and the finshing clock
Swim
  • 19m 48s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Foggy as all hell. When I rounded the last bouy I forgot that we had to site the ambulance lights so I just tried to follow others in. I realized that everyone was aiming for the lights at about 200m out. i actually drafted for the first time ever!!! I also swam the crawl the whole way which was a first (but it was only my second race). I still need to learn to swim straight as I zig zagged everywhere.

Overall it was a great swim for me as I was comfortable the whole way and I didn't finish last in my wave this time. I even passed people in the wave before which was a huge mental boost.
What would you do differently?:

swim straight. Maybe push a little more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

This is just an estimate but I didn't rush. I have to learn hoe to take my wetsuit off faster as I have a very hard time getting it unzipped.

I took 3 ecaps on the way out

figure out a better way to get the wetsuit unzipped
Bike
  • 39m 27s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 20.53 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very pleased with the bike as I was flying by everyone. The word "left" must have come out of my mouth 30 times. I did get passed by a couple of guys with faster bikes and race wheels but towards the end I picked it up a little and hung with them. This was also the flatest ride I have ever done so it was a nice brake from the hills on my training routes.

The bike was a blast even in the pouring rain.

Get race wheel. I also had a chance to ride around better riders and watch them. They were all riding 1 or two gears smaller than my and were running a higher cadence. So i think I need to work on that a little.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

took it easy. Had one gu. My stuff was completely soaked.

maybe put my socks and shoes in a plastice bag to keep them dry.
Run
  • 26m 51s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a little slow going out probably because my lack of brick work. My legs came in at around 1.5 miles and I felt like my second half was much better than my first which was slow.

More brick work and suck it up a little better. Also my racing belt fell off. The guy behind me picked it up (thank you).
Post race
Warm down:

walk back to car

Event comments:

This being the second year of the race, I think they didn't expect as many people to show us. My wife said they were trying to recruit voluteers from the crowd.

I think this could be a great race as I liked the location and the course and even the swim in the pristine Merrimac.

I will do this race again.

Last updated: 2006-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:48 | 880 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 328/457
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: triangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:27 | 13.5 miles | 20.53 mile/hr
Overall: 115/457
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: flat...maybe some gentle hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:51 | 03 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 0/457
Performance:
Course: out and back. out has a little elevation gain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: Newburyport Triathlon

2006-07-26 6:53 AM
in reply to: #490880

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: RE: Newburyport Triathlon
They finally corrected the results so here they are....
2006-07-27 1:54 PM
in reply to: #490880

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Newburyport Triathlon

The pristine Merrimac - funny stuff...

Nice work on this race - and yes, high cadence on the bike is the way to go, should leave your legs a bit fresher for the run too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Newburyport Triathlon Rss Feed