Other Resources My Cup of Joe » MTV VMA Awards Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-08-26 8:53 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: MTV VMA Awards

I just caught some highlights of this show, but I can;t understand how they can give out video awards when they do not show videos anymore??

The parts I saw were horrible:

Miley Cyrus???  That was not sexy at all

Justin Timberlake was good (NSync thing was not as big as they made it out to be)

Maclemore (?), well? this was the first time I had seen them, besides hearing their songs. I was kind turned off of them afer watching them on the show.

2013-08-27 1:02 PM
in reply to: jford2309

Master
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: MTV VMA Awards
Mylie Cyrus was a disaster. Is it uncool to take bets on how long it is before she is in rehab for heroin or crack?

There are better ways to shed a good girl Disney image than sticking your tongue out, dry humping a foam finger, and twerking with Robin Thicke

It might be different if she had any talent but she doesn't and it's a good reason to turn off Hannah Montana in my house. My daughters like the show on Netflix but it's possibly worse than A.N.T. Farm. You guys with younger daughters will know what I'm talking about.
2013-08-27 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I'm generally uninterested in shows having to do with pop music, but while flipping around channels Sunday night we happened to catch the Miley Cyrus performance.  We were thinking, is this for real?  Is Ashton gonna pop out and tell us we're being punked?

Regardless of whether or not it's appropriate, my first thought was that it seemed just downright amateurish, as though she just made the whole thing up that day and just made up all of her "dancing" (which I guess is called twerking) on the spot as she went along.  The whole thing was just so dumb.  It was like someone's bad home video of spring break.

2013-08-27 1:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I have mixed feelings on Miley Thighley. 

1. Miley is an "adult" and can represent herself however she sees fit. We don't have to approve or like it (or watch or talk about it - yet here we are).

2. Parents of young girls (and/or boys) who are or might be fans - possibly left over from Hanna Montana - how do you handle this? I would have no idea where to start.

3. I am mildly entertained by the train wreck.

4. I think she decided to permanently stop wearing pants? Even on Jimmy Kimmel the other night she got a hilarious comment from him about her underwear-non-pants outfit. 

Edited by lisac957 2013-08-27 1:28 PM
2013-08-27 2:23 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I stopped watching MTV when Martha Quinn left and the whole music video thing turned into someone's agenda to promote filth and vulgarity (IMO).

I don't know much about Miley but I think as an entertainer she was going for the shock value and jumpstart of some other path.   Celebs thrive and benefit off of publicity and it's all any one is talking about on radio talk shows and internet "news" sites.  It is just a shame that she chose to promote herself in that way.

2013-08-27 2:25 PM

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by lisac957

1. Miley is an "adult" and can represent herself however she sees fit. We don't have to approve or like it (or watch or talk about it - yet here we are).

2. Parents of young girls (and/or boys) who are or might be fans - possibly left over from Hanna Montana - how do you handle this? I would have no idea where to start.

4. I think she decided to permanently stop wearing pants? Even on Jimmy Kimmel the other night she got a hilarious comment from him about her underwear-non-pants outfit. 

Maybe I am simplifying things but I would just tell my kids straight out, she is trying to get a lot of attention so people will buy her music which means she makes a lot of money. When she acts out inappropriately everyone talks about it then she gets attention and she is hoping that people will buy her music or movies or whatever she is trying to do. But there are a lot of really great singers who make beautiful music and don't act out and even do nice things for others with the money they make. I don't want you to watch Miley acting silly like that and think it is o.k. for you to act that way too so I have say we're not allowed to give her any more attention by watching her shows or listening to her music for now. Just like when you get a time out for acting naughty, Miley is getting a time out too.

Or the other approach, we just never turn MTV on in this house - conflict avoided. But my kids are only 5 & 7 and still to young to care about stars acting like nut jobs.

2013-08-27 2:39 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
On the plus side, Michael Keaton looked great to be over 60!
2013-08-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I once rode the ski lift with Nina Blackwood. The VJ with the blonde, 80's hair. I was skiing repeats in the Killington peak chair and our group broke and did single lift since it was quicker.

Edited by pitt83 2013-08-27 2:40 PM
2013-08-27 3:05 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by trigal38

Maybe I am simplifying things but I would just tell my kids straight out, she is trying to get a lot of attention so people will buy her music which means she makes a lot of money. When she acts out inappropriately everyone talks about it then she gets attention and she is hoping that people will buy her music or movies or whatever she is trying to do. But there are a lot of really great singers who make beautiful music and don't act out and even do nice things for others with the money they make. I don't want you to watch Miley acting silly like that and think it is o.k. for you to act that way too so I have say we're not allowed to give her any more attention by watching her shows or listening to her music for now. Just like when you get a time out for acting naughty, Miley is getting a time out too.

Or the other approach, we just never turn MTV on in this house - conflict avoided. But my kids are only 5 & 7 and still to young to care about stars acting like nut jobs.

OK that is awesome

I think for older kids it would be really hard to avoid, even without subscribing to or turning on MTV. The 12-year-olds I hang with have their own iPhones and can google/youtube anything - and they know EVERYTHING. A different world than the one I grew up in...

2013-08-27 3:18 PM

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by trigal38

OK that is awesome

I think for older kids it would be really hard to avoid, even without subscribing to or turning on MTV. The 12-year-olds I hang with have their own iPhones and can google/youtube anything - and they know EVERYTHING. A different world than the one I grew up in...

Yes, I hate to even think about it. We have a little neighbor girl who is that tween age and tries to be very grown up but does not really understand what she is being grown up about.

Mine will probably be the last of their friends to get the cool phone or whatever it is when they are that age. When I was growing up it was your own phone line with a phone in your room. I felt so deprived because I had NO PRIVACY! I had to talk on the phone in the kitchen or in the family room. Now of course I see my parents view. My friends or boyfriends called, Dad answered the phone and joked around with whoever was calling, he was connected. I think it must be really hard now to be a parent and stay connected that way.

2013-08-27 3:24 PM

User image

Champion
PA

My thoughts are that she can do what she wants but she can't complain when the attention includes terms like, "train wreck."  I'm puzzled at how anyone can be a fan.  While I understand how irrelevant it is, I still can't help but feel sorry for anyone who is a fan of such idiocy.  

PS.. I got the Michael Keaton reference and I fully appreciate it.  

2013-08-27 3:28 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

It must be tough to explain why that lady on TV had no butt cheeks

2013-08-27 3:32 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Champion
Chicago
She did her job, and so did her publicist.

And we're all buying into it hook, line and sinker.
2013-08-27 4:27 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by mr2tony She did her job, and so did her publicist. And we're all buying into it hook, line and sinker.

^^^Yep, we're suckers^^^^^

2013-08-27 4:39 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mr2tony She did her job, and so did her publicist. And we're all buying into it hook, line and sinker.

Pretty much. They got what they wanted

2013-08-28 4:47 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by popsracer

Pretty much. They got what they wanted

Yeah, I don't know....is she going to sell more music because of this, or less?  Just because the media blows up over you doesn't mean you earn fans or gigs.  I assume anyone considering booking her for something requiring her to be clean, classy and well rehearsed are totally turned off right now.  I say she loses in the end.  I mean, the song she did that they play on the radio is just terrible.

Gaga has pulled some crazy stunts but the woman is unique and is a great performer.  Not at all my style of music but even people like me who don't like pop music can see that.  She backs it up with an actual good voice and great stage presence.  If you don't have those things stunts like this just reveal that you're using shock to make up for your lack of talent.

2013-08-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Pector55

PS.. I got the Michael Keaton reference and I fully appreciate it.

2013-08-28 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

I actually watched some of the performance with my 12 year old daughter.  It was a great learning lesson and a great way to open up communication about choices that we make and the consequences they have.  I made sure my daughter knew that Miley's choices are going to affect her for quite some time.  I also said that I think it is very sad to see how she has progressed from a nice kid on television to where she is now.  My daughter was very receptive to the conversation and had some questions about what could be causing Miley to do such things.  We talked about drugs (alcohol use has been talked about a ton in our house for obvious reasons. ) and how they can affect your thinking and decision making.

So I am thankful that Miley gave me that opportunity to have a great conversation with my 12 year old.  That being said, I hope she gets some help soon.

2013-08-28 7:52 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
2013-08-28 8:41 AM
in reply to: peby

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

somebody posted this on facebook last night and I couldn't stop laughing.  It's bad, but hey what can i say...

(1013393_10200576699041672_1706601459_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1013393_10200576699041672_1706601459_n.jpg (31KB - 1 downloads)
2013-08-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
are we not even going to talk about robin thicke's beetlejuice suit???

2013-08-28 11:11 AM
in reply to: ebshot

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by ebshot

I actually watched some of the performance with my 12 year old daughter.  It was a great learning lesson and a great way to open up communication about choices that we make and the consequences they have.  I made sure my daughter knew that Miley's choices are going to affect her for quite some time.  I also said that I think it is very sad to see how she has progressed from a nice kid on television to where she is now.  My daughter was very receptive to the conversation and had some questions about what could be causing Miley to do such things.  We talked about drugs (alcohol use has been talked about a ton in our house for obvious reasons. ) and how they can affect your thinking and decision making.

So I am thankful that Miley gave me that opportunity to have a great conversation with my 12 year old.  That being said, I hope she gets some help soon.

Help?

I agree with a lot of what you had to say. But geeze, she expressed herself, in a way that a lot of girls her age do. Just not on such a ...national stage. It was probably something she will look back on (or already has) and realize it was a mistake. Or not. But getting help? That seems a bit dramatic.

I know I did some silly stuff when I was her age, and I am really lucky I wasn't in a position where it was getting national media attention. That doesn't really mean I needed "help." I just had some lessons to learn about who I was, and how I wanted to be perceived. 

2013-08-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mehaner are we not even going to talk about robin thicke's beetlejuice suit???

Amen! Right when he walked out I couldn't help but repeat beetlejuice three times under my breath. 

2013-08-28 11:17 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by mehaner

are we not even going to talk about robin thicke's beetlejuice suit???

I thought I had that on subtle cruise control...
2013-08-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by mehaner are we not even going to talk about robin thicke's beetlejuice suit???
I thought I had that on subtle cruise control...

You did, I caught the Micheal Keaton reference earlier!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » MTV VMA Awards Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

MTV confession Pages: 1 2

Started by AbbieR
Views: 1437 Posts: 28

2009-03-19 9:23 PM dgunthert

MTV Made: Triathlete

Started by jsklarz
Views: 5275 Posts: 13

2008-12-30 6:56 PM kristinc0916