Capri Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 58s
Overall Rank = 215/
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 36/105
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am... ate a clif bar, banana, and drank a gatorade. Woke the wife up at 5am and carried the kids down to the car, hoping they'd stay asleep.
Event warmup:

Not much. It was a long ways to go from where we had to park and where the transition area was. Basically rode my bike in with my giant bag on my back... then headed for the water to warm up.
Swim
  • 12m 33s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was not good, but I've only been in the water once a week for the last month or so. 2 minutes into the swim, my wedding ring got kicked off of my hand. I was pissed the whole swim and very frustrated, couldn't refocus or get into a groove. My wife had warned me about this the last 4 years that it would happen and it finally did. Very stupid on my part and it threw me off the whole swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear my ring and get back into the pool.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Almost wiped out getting back on the bike. Still pretty flustered about the ring.
Bike
  • 36m 32s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 21.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I probably would have been over 22 mph, but my buddy who I was racing with was one of many who blew a tire. Stopped to help him but the spare he had didn't match his tire type. Not sure what it was. All in all I was pretty happy with the bike. The roads were in bad condition... rocks, concrete breaks, etc...

Nothing...could have pushed it a bit more, but I'm pretty happy with it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Not much too say, pretty good.
Run
  • 32m 46s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it easy the first 2 miles, then picked up the 3rd and went hard on the 4th. Found my buddy walking back from dropping his bike off. He was in good spirits and actually walked back to transition to do the run, despite not recording an official time... he wanted to finish.

Nothing... I was kind of testing myself for the HIM in September by forcing myself to take it easy on the run in the beginning.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back with the kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being frustrated from losing my ring. Other than that, not much.

Event comments:

Although I had a good time and the race was well organized, I've got a few beefs. No race day packet pick up sucked, and the fact that the packet pick-ups weren't any where near the race local wasn't great either. It's an awful race for spectators... specifically my wife and 2 young kids. She had to push the 2 kids, carry their loads of crap over a mile to get to the race. Throwing that on top of the bonehead losing the ring on my part, made this a less than enjoyable race experience. I also thought the roads were real rough and as far as scenary goes, this would rank near the bottom. Most of the race was through an industrial area. Anyway, I always enjoy racing so I had fun, but it really makes me appreciate the state park more family friendly races in Iowa and smaller communites.

Last updated: 2006-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:33 | 800 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/105
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Promotion
Course: Kind of a rectangular shape.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:36:32 | 13.2 miles | 21.68 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:46 | 04 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course, nothing major.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Adel
Subject: Harbor Lights

2006-07-24 12:17 PM
in reply to: #490882

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Harbor Lights
Man that stinks about your ring!  I know what you mean about having to haul the kids here there and everywhere on race day...It's really hard on the spouse.  Looks like you had a good race under tough mental conditions.
2006-07-25 6:41 AM
in reply to: #490882

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: Harbor Lights

Geeze that stinks about the ring!  I almost lost mine once and stopped wearing it to races or training ever since then.

Also a bummer that the tube didn't fit your buddy's bike.  Looks like you managed a pretty good split even with the stop for repairs though.

I totally agree about the spectator thing.  It was quite a walk from any of the parking and my wife brought my daughter in later in the morning after the swim start.  Luckly her parents came with her so she had some help.

Nice race!  Even if it wasn't an "ideal" course 8)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harbor Lights Rss Feed