General Discussion Race Reports! » Duanesburg Area Community Center Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Duanesburg Area Community Center Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Delanson, New York
United States
Duanesburg Area Community Center
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 26s
Overall Rank = 7/103
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had some PB on fresh Italian bread (yum) and coffee. This race has two transitions which was a pain last year but I am starting to figure it out.
Event warmup:

Parking at the lake is about .5 mile away so carrying my gear and walking the bike was my warm up. Talked with someone we knew and then admired some very nice tri bikes. Most of those bikes belonged to folks in my age group so I thought I was in for a tough race.
Swim
  • 04m 15s
  • 325 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

After last week's poor performance at Old Forge, I wanted a little redemption here. Went out real strong. Breathing and siting were fine and I felt great. Half way I was starting to catch folks from the previous wave so I took a moment to see who in my wave was near me. Much to my surprise I had a very comfortable lead so I backed off a little bit. Picked my way through some slower swimmers and made my way to the exit ramp. Remembering from last year that there are some big rocks at the end, I tried to take it easy. That didn't work out so great, I ended up smashing my knee into one. Made for a nice bloody war wound for the bike and run!
What would you do differently?:

I was really happy with this swim. With that in mind it is a Sprint so I probably should have pushed hard the whole way. It might have made a difference (maybe) on how I placed in the end.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Struggled a little getting clipped in, not sure why. Maybe because I wanted to get a good start on the bike before the guys on the tri bikes caught me.

Not sure.
Bike
  • 26m 42s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.70 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went great. I maintained a good pace while pushing pretty hard. Kept waiting to start seeing the guys on the tri bikes to pass me but in the end only one guy did on the last 3 miles. He was able to cruise on the down hills.

Not much. For being on a road bike, I was happy with my performance.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Good transition for me and I was feeling good after the bike.

Not much
Run
  • 22m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This course owned me last year so those two hills were on my mind. In my first two races of the season I struggled on the run so I have spent some training time working on this. Coming out of transition there is a nice gradual down hill before you hit the first of the two hills. I purposely held back so I could attack the hills. Was passed just after the first hill by a guy in my age group. He ended up placing third overall. We chatted briefly and saw the guy who was leading our age group. The chase was on! Tried to keep pace with the two of them for a little bit but backed off to save some for the final push. The guy who passed me caught the other guy and I was slowly reeling him in also. Unfortunately I did not have enough race to catch up but was still pleased with my run.

I am going to keep working on this in the off season. I would like to keep bringing my run time down so I can be competitive in some of the bigger races.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Chatted with the two guys who beat me and than waited for the awards.

Event comments:

Nice local race. The volunteers were real good this year and the course was well marked. I liked that they painted mile markers this year. To top it off the weather was perfect!

Last updated: 2013-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:15 | 325 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 8/103
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Rectangular clockwise course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:26:42 | 10 miles | 22.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 9/103
Wind: Little
Course: Decent course with a couple small climbs and than a real nice descent the last 3 miles. There was only one section where the roadwas a little rough.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:34 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 16/103
Course: Out and back with two short but tough hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-08-26 9:26 AM

Subject: Duanesburg Area Community Center Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duanesburg Area Community Center Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Duanesburg Area Community Center Triathlon

Started by MJSolt
Views: 766 Posts: 1

2013-08-24 9:53 PM MJSolt

Danville Area Community Center Triathhlon

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 766 Posts: 1

2011-06-02 10:16 PM TheClaaaw

Started by TimX3
Views: 1575 Posts: 1

2010-09-13 6:30 PM TimX3

Started by murrayk
Views: 1036 Posts: 1

2009-09-14 9:45 AM murrayk

The Community Center Triathlon

Started by adamkerk
Views: 1402 Posts: 2

2006-04-17 7:24 AM gj50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.
date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Out of this frustration, the first annual Denver Community College Triathlon was born. It was open to all employees of the campus, with a 30 dollar entrance fee for the campus scholarship fund.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 1
How triathlons are very similiar to NASCAR.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.