General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Square Lake or One Last Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-26 9:33 PM

User image

Subject: Square Lake or One Last Tri?
Hi all.  I'm looking for any recommendation regarding a final tri of the year for me.  I thought MG Oly would be my last, but I think I "need" to do one more.  I'm looking at either Square Lake short (9/7) or One Last Tri short (9/15).  There's really no reason for me to pick one or the other.  Living in Savage, either will be quite the haul on race morning.  Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks.

2013-08-27 5:57 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Square Lake or One Last Tri?
Some considerations:
  1. The "short course" at Square Lake is pretty long.   So, I might pick based on the distance alone.  How much of a challenge did you want?
  2. I've heard Square Lake is really nice to swim in, quite clear.
  3. The organization of the Square Lake race may be a little sketchy. The RD is known for.... a more casual way of doing things.    I don't know anything about One Last Tri as far as that goes.
  4. I did a 10k with the Tri Fitness people and liked it, for what it's worth.  I've never heard complaints.

Good luck!

2013-08-27 6:56 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I have done neither of the races. I have only done square lake long. Yes square lake is the cleanest lake I have swam in.

Past years weather has been an issue for one last tri. But weather is always a crap shoot, especially the later in the year.

2013-08-27 7:46 AM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
I spectated at One Last Tri last year while my husband ran it. It was an unorganized mess. I ended up directing traffic because the volunteers were late. Parking in the park is limited so they contract with neighbors to park in their fields. They assigned lots based on when you picked up your pack.

The timing was seriously botched. The waves went off much quicker than scheduled. No timing mat at the start and a timing company that had no clue what they were doing meant there was no way to compare one wave of results to another - any times you see posted are relative. Jerry gave the first place trophy to the wrong woman - he was basing it on scheduled wave starts. Timing company also used wrist straps that didn't work so no splits for most people.

The course - the lake was so shallow the start occurred in the mucky boat launch. The distance on the swim was more than doubled because the race director felt most people would walk most of it - yes they sent out an email after the fact stating that. Not many lifeguards - there was a group of racers who rescued a swimmer and had to hold her up until they could get attention of a life guard.

The bike course seemed nice - I didn't actually ride it. The run course is a mixture of paved and unpaved trails. Unpaved is grass or rock. Hilly and challenging in a good way - I did run the course.

Those who raced last year could get a sizable discount because of last year's debacle, but that wasn't enough to lead us back there.

Renee
2013-08-27 7:46 AM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Originally posted by peteweb55403 I have done neither of the races. I have only done square lake long. Yes square lake is the cleanest lake I have swam in. Past years weather has been an issue for one last tri. But weather is always a crap shoot, especially the later in the year.

Thanks BikerGrrrl and Pete.

Pete,
Any comments on how the Square Lake race is run as alluded to by BikerGrrrl?

2013-08-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: BloomingRunner

User image

Originally posted by BloomingRunner I spectated at One Last Tri last year while my husband ran it. It was an unorganized mess. I ended up directing traffic because the volunteers were late. Parking in the park is limited so they contract with neighbors to park in their fields. They assigned lots based on when you picked up your pack. The timing was seriously botched. The waves went off much quicker than scheduled. No timing mat at the start and a timing company that had no clue what they were doing meant there was no way to compare one wave of results to another - any times you see posted are relative. Jerry gave the first place trophy to the wrong woman - he was basing it on scheduled wave starts. Timing company also used wrist straps that didn't work so no splits for most people. The course - the lake was so shallow the start occurred in the mucky boat launch. The distance on the swim was more than doubled because the race director felt most people would walk most of it - yes they sent out an email after the fact stating that. Not many lifeguards - there was a group of racers who rescued a swimmer and had to hold her up until they could get attention of a life guard. The bike course seemed nice - I didn't actually ride it. The run course is a mixture of paved and unpaved trails. Unpaved is grass or rock. Hilly and challenging in a good way - I did run the course. Those who raced last year could get a sizable discount because of last year's debacle, but that wasn't enough to lead us back there. Renee

Wow!!  Thanks for the info.  I have been leaning toward Square Lake (short) due to family timing.  You may have just tipped me all the way over to it.

2013-08-27 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by BloomingRunner I spectated at One Last Tri last year while my husband ran it. It was an unorganized mess. I ended up directing traffic because the volunteers were late. Parking in the park is limited so they contract with neighbors to park in their fields. They assigned lots based on when you picked up your pack. The timing was seriously botched. The waves went off much quicker than scheduled. No timing mat at the start and a timing company that had no clue what they were doing meant there was no way to compare one wave of results to another - any times you see posted are relative. Jerry gave the first place trophy to the wrong woman - he was basing it on scheduled wave starts. Timing company also used wrist straps that didn't work so no splits for most people. The course - the lake was so shallow the start occurred in the mucky boat launch. The distance on the swim was more than doubled because the race director felt most people would walk most of it - yes they sent out an email after the fact stating that. Not many lifeguards - there was a group of racers who rescued a swimmer and had to hold her up until they could get attention of a life guard. The bike course seemed nice - I didn't actually ride it. The run course is a mixture of paved and unpaved trails. Unpaved is grass or rock. Hilly and challenging in a good way - I did run the course. Those who raced last year could get a sizable discount because of last year's debacle, but that wasn't enough to lead us back there. Renee

Just curious - is the race at the same location as last year?  They say on their web site it's a "whole new race", and is "now at White Bear Lake".  I wonder if any of the location difficulties have been resolved.  Either way - yikes!

2013-08-27 8:08 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by dbrook1

Originally posted by peteweb55403 I have done neither of the races. I have only done square lake long. Yes square lake is the cleanest lake I have swam in. Past years weather has been an issue for one last tri. But weather is always a crap shoot, especially the later in the year.

Thanks BikerGrrrl and Pete.

Pete,
Any comments on how the Square Lake race is run as alluded to by BikerGrrrl?

I can give you a few more details on the hallmarks of a Front Runner event.  The following happen regularly:

• Mixed up timing that is never resolved
  • Loose distances, you will probably not get the same distances each year or as advertised.
  • Running out of t-shirts despite preregistration
  • Running out of drinks during and after the race

I've witnessed this at at least 5 Front Runner events.  That said, I am racing the Square Lake short course for my first time this year.  You can't beat the prices and as long as your expectations are low, it's fun.  Just pack a cooler of drinks for yourself and it's all good...

2013-08-27 9:54 AM

User image

Hugo, MN
Square lake's short course is typically well staffed with volunteers. I usually volunteer at this race.

Swim - square lake is a great swim venue. Nicest lake in the metro area, imho.

The bike course is tough and right now 170th is really rough riding as you head from Norell to 95. The turn onto 95 will be manned to protect the riders, but you should be careful down that steep descent. Lastly, with 95 and 59 newly repaved it is pleasant in some places.

The run is rolling and tough. It's 5 miles and a mix of dirt and road.

I recommend the course for the sheer challenge. Your legs will hate you later, but it is an honest course.
2013-08-27 10:24 AM
in reply to: silentcs42

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by silentcs42 Square lake's short course is typically well staffed with volunteers. I usually volunteer at this race. Swim - square lake is a great swim venue. Nicest lake in the metro area, imho. The bike course is tough and right now 170th is really rough riding as you head from Norell to 95. The turn onto 95 will be manned to protect the riders, but you should be careful down that steep descent. Lastly, with 95 and 59 newly repaved it is pleasant in some places. The run is rolling and tough. It's 5 miles and a mix of dirt and road. I recommend the course for the sheer challenge. Your legs will hate you later, but it is an honest course.

Eek!  My expectations for finishing time are now duly lowered   I hope it's at least cool weather by then.

2013-08-27 11:09 AM

User image

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Originally posted by silentcs42 Square lake's short course is typically well staffed with volunteers. I usually volunteer at this race. Swim - square lake is a great swim venue. Nicest lake in the metro area, imho. The bike course is tough and right now 170th is really rough riding as you head from Norell to 95. The turn onto 95 will be manned to protect the riders, but you should be careful down that steep descent. Lastly, with 95 and 59 newly repaved it is pleasant in some places. The run is rolling and tough. It's 5 miles and a mix of dirt and road. I recommend the course for the sheer challenge. Your legs will hate you later, but it is an honest course.

Eek!  My expectations for finishing time are now duly lowered   I hope it's at least cool weather by then.

Well, I'm going to sign up today.  Looks like my idea of a "quick" morning will need to be adjusted as well.

2013-08-27 12:11 PM

User image

Thank you all for your input.  I was leaning toward Square Lake but your info helped me finally make a decision.  See you there!
2013-08-27 12:56 PM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl
Just curious - is the race at the same location as last year?  They say on their web site it's a "whole new race", and is "now at White Bear Lake".  I wonder if any of the location difficulties have been resolved.  Either way - yikes!

I am not sure - since we didn't want to go through that mess again, we didn't look. It wasn't at White Bear Lake last year. Hopefully things get worked out because it has potential.
2013-08-27 12:58 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Randy's races are fun in my opinion. Just don't expect the same polish that MG had.

Since I'm doing the long the following day, I also am really hoping for cooler weather. This is awful. Saturdays st croix valley race (which I love to do ,by they way) is going to be hot
2013-08-27 2:31 PM

User image

Minneapolis

It looks like it is a different location! The last couple of years it was at Big Marine Lake. I did One Last Tri last year and I thought the course was fine (luckily I like to swim because the course was 1000y instead of 600y) but the timing debacle really annoyed me. It was my first tri and never did get an official time or split times. Assuming they get the timing figured out, it looks like a good course for people who don't like to swim - only 400y for the short course and 800y for the long course which looks like it's close to an oly with half the swim length.
2013-08-27 2:55 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Originally posted by peteweb55403

Randy's races are fun in my opinion. Just don't expect the same polish that MG had.

My thoughts too - Randy races are cheap and fun. He does a lot based on what he charges, especially if you register during the Black Friday sale.

2013-08-27 7:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by BloomingRunner
Originally posted by peteweb55403 Randy's races are fun in my opinion. Just don't expect the same polish that MG had.
My thoughts too - Randy races are cheap and fun. He does a lot based on what he charges, especially if you register during the Black Friday sale.

I already had a good Randy experience.  I emailed him with a couple questions and he responded within an hr in the middle of the day.  Prompt responses to email/vmail above "regular" prompt always impress me.

2013-08-28 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by dbrook1

Originally posted by BloomingRunner
Originally posted by peteweb55403 Randy's races are fun in my opinion. Just don't expect the same polish that MG had.

I already had a good Randy experience.  I emailed him with a couple questions and he responded within an hr in the middle of the day.  Prompt responses to email/vmail above "regular" prompt always impress me.

That is rare... I am happy that he got back to you!  I've contacted him about things that went totally unanswered.  It's very hit or miss. I really want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, I think he is truly nice.  It's just hard to forget competing in a tough race and not having any gels/gatorade as promised (happened mile 7 of William OBrien 10 miler) or any water at all (3 hours into an Oly race).    Just be prepared, that's all.

2013-08-30 6:10 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
How about both?!! I'll be heading to the Sq Lake long course on Sunday. As others have said., set expectations are low with Randy race, but he's been getting better. Swim is clear and water temp will be super nice this year. Long course bike is smooth as most all of the roads are repaved or in great shape. Run is always a challenge with the hills and rollers out to pine pt and back.

I'm heading to the One Last Tri long course the weekend after as well. The race was a mess last year and the folks at Tri Fitness knew it. New venue is pretty much the same as the Manitou tri. The swim looks to be a point to point (instead of out and back) and the bike and run are similar to or actually on the Manitou course. Much of the bike course is in pretty rough shape. I ride out that way alot so I'm used to dodging the bigger holes, but some of it is unpleasant.

If anyone's planning to be at either race, spectating or racing give me a PM and we'll connect. It'd be good to see / meet you.

Jeff
2013-08-31 11:46 AM
in reply to: leapdog

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Originally posted by leapdog

How about both?!! I'll be heading to the Sq Lake long course on Sunday. As others have said., set expectations are low with Randy race, but he's been getting better. Swim is clear and water temp will be super nice this year. Long course bike is smooth as most all of the roads are repaved or in great shape. Run is always a challenge with the hills and rollers out to pine pt and back.

I'm heading to the One Last Tri long course the weekend after as well. The race was a mess last year and the folks at Tri Fitness knew it. New venue is pretty much the same as the Manitou tri. The swim looks to be a point to point (instead of out and back) and the bike and run are similar to or actually on the Manitou course. Much of the bike course is in pretty rough shape. I ride out that way alot so I'm used to dodging the bigger holes, but some of it is unpleasant.

If anyone's planning to be at either race, spectating or racing give me a PM and we'll connect. It'd be good to see / meet you.

Jeff

Right now I have the One Last Tri penciled in for the wife and me. She'll do the sprint and I will be giving the oly a shot (first oly). I know the swim is a little shorter but the bikelooked a cople miles longer. You said the roads for this were pretty bad? I hope not. I had a duathlon early in the season and it was rough with potholes, gravel, and cracks. I'll have a white/red Argon 18 E-80 if you see me there!
2013-08-31 6:49 PM
in reply to: lakelandsledder

User image

Expert
Western WI
I was at one last tri last year too... I'm giving it a second change and going for the short course. Hopefully they hired a new timing company. And it'll be nice to see what it's like in WBL. Thanks for the heads up on the road conditions who ever mentioned it. See ya all out there!

2013-09-01 9:21 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-02 8:09 AM
in reply to: FoggyGoggles

Master
, Minnesota
Originally posted by FoggyGoggles

I've been riding the long course at least once or twice a week over the last month and there is one stretch of terrible road in Scandia, along 97. Unfortunately, this is the fastest part of the course and the shoulder of the road has bumps every 7 feet or so. It about rattles the teeth out of you. Outside of that mile and a half or so, it's a great course with plenty of challenges.

Agreed. Smooth sailing everywhere but that stretch.
2013-09-03 8:54 AM

Hugo, MN
Square lake long actually turns SE on 52 (which is just a bit south of 97). I actually don't think that bit of road is all that bad, especially if you white line it. Continue east down 170th after Olinda sometime. That's a terrible stretch of road (and a good part of the short course). There is nowhere you can go that isn't pocked in some way.
2013-09-03 9:46 AM

Jeff

I'll be at One Last Tri doing the short course as my first ever tri. I'll be the total noob doing the swim in my running shorts.

Jeff
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Square Lake or One Last Tri? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

square lake tri Pages: 1 2 3

Started by peteweb55403
Views: 4077 Posts: 60

2011-09-15 7:08 PM Me_Xman

Square Lake Tri and Frontrunner

Started by Me_Xman
Views: 2012 Posts: 10

2011-06-27 10:30 PM Farlig

One Last Tri- 9/19/2010 Pages: 1 2

Started by Dg0113
Views: 3735 Posts: 31

2010-09-25 7:12 AM Hazelmn

One Last Tri- Sept 13, 2009

Started by Chrissiphan
Views: 1456 Posts: 8

2009-08-24 5:20 PM jvanis

Square Lake Tri-LONG COURSE

Started by hundoracer
Views: 1264 Posts: 4

2009-07-30 5:36 PM jvanis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : October 2, 2005
author : tgurl
comments : 1
”Everyone can swim; show me what you can do.” She watched, I emerged and she said, “Oh! You really can't swim!”

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.