General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Coach references Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-27 9:17 AM

User image

Subject: Looking for Coach references
I'm signed up for Ironman #2 (IMLP) and want to find a new coach. My old coach was local but I know a lot of coaching now happens from anywhere since so much is done online through Training Peaks. If you have a recommedation of a coach, could you pass on their info?

I'm interested in someone who is VERY responsive and is monitoring what I'm doing.

I would love someone who is familiar with the IMLP course.

I'm NOT interested in someone who only allows one email/phone call a month. I'm not looking to hassle anyone but I think that's a ridiculous rule.

Any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

2013-08-27 11:42 AM
in reply to: DCT76

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Looking for Coach references

No direct experience with this but with a Silver or Gold membership you can have access to coaching on BT for a cost (see this page). 

You can check out a coach Mike Ricci and the other coaches at D3 Multisports.

2013-08-27 1:40 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
I can vouch for Mike Ricci at D3. I've been with him since January. After self coaching the first year and getting acquainted with triathlon. I had some little successes in the first year with some Top 10 finishes. I wanted the next level and he got me there... I just had my first win in 45-49 ag, first in ag and first overall for masters 40 plus, 5th overall finisher, just the youngins were faster. His plans aren't cookie cutter and I've seen my fitness explode in the last couple of months. It took the first 6 months to readjust to his plan, then once I got the base down, bam!

2013-08-27 1:51 PM

Originally posted by DCT76

I'm signed up for Ironman #2 (IMLP) and want to find a new coach. My old coach was local but I know a lot of coaching now happens from anywhere since so much is done online through Training Peaks. If you have a recommedation of a coach, could you pass on their info?

I'm interested in someone who is VERY responsive and is monitoring what I'm doing.

I would love someone who is familiar with the IMLP course.

I'm NOT interested in someone who only allows one email/phone call a month. I'm not looking to hassle anyone but I think that's a ridiculous rule.

Any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

I work with Francois:
http://www.fmcoaching.com/index.php/en/

He is super responsive and very knowledgeable with 20+ years of cycling/tri experience. He doesnt use training peaks but his webpage has a log similar to TP. I am not sure if he is familiar with IMLP.

This is my second year working with him and there has not been a race that I dont PR, I will be doing Rev3 full next week and even when I havent had some personal issues and had to skip lots of training I still should be able to PR by quite a bit of time

Let me know if you want more info.
Tona
2013-08-27 1:52 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha
Dr. Rick Kattouf is awesome. I've been doing triathlon for 7 years...this was the first year I've been working with him. And BANG....first AG(female 50-54) win ever! My run pace, swim and bike have all seen significant improvements. He's also a nutritionist (but that's not included in his fee). Here's his link: http://www.teamkattouf.com/

Can't say enough good things about him. There's nothing cookie cutter about his training plan. He HR trains, so if that's not your thing then I don't recommend him.

Cyndi

2013-08-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Message sent! I have coached 2 athletes for IMLP and one lives on the course. I also sent you their contact information for references!

Good luck in finding a coach who works for you! Ask questions! Be picky!

Karen

2013-08-27 6:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

The best coach is probably a match between you, your goals, your budget, your personality......

If you want to KQ, there are probably 5 guys I would turn to. But they are probably more expensive. (Some > $300 per month)

If wanted great knowledge, reasonable price, almost guaranteed improvement, and you probably know him, I would turn to Shane

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/view-profile.asp?uid=4...

Several BTers have done very well with him

BTW, Francois, mentioned above, is an EXCELLENT coach.

Edited by marcag 2013-08-27 6:10 PM
2013-08-27 6:18 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag The best coach is probably a match between you, your goals, your budget, your personality...... If you want to KQ, there are probably 5 guys I would turn to. But they are probably more expensive. (Some > $300 per month) If wanted great knowledge, reasonable price, almost guaranteed improvement, and you probably know him, I would turn to Shane http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/view-profile.asp?uid=4... Several BTers have done very well with him BTW, Francois, mentioned above, is an EXCELLENT coach.

Shane is my coach and he is fantastic.  Completely changed my training and I have seen fantastic improvements as a result.

Other than familiarity with the IMLP course (which I don't know if he does or doesn't), he meets all of your other criteria.  I would recommend him in a heartbeat.  Feel free to PM me if you want more information.

2013-08-27 7:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by marcag The best coach is probably a match between you, your goals, your budget, your personality...... If you want to KQ, there are probably 5 guys I would turn to. But they are probably more expensive. (Some > $300 per month) If wanted great knowledge, reasonable price, almost guaranteed improvement, and you probably know him, I would turn to Shane http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/view-profile.asp?uid=4... Several BTers have done very well with him BTW, Francois, mentioned above, is an EXCELLENT coach.

I worked with Shane for 2 years and he is excellent. He is responsive, limits number he coaches, bases your training around your life, adjusts as needed, checks your workouts through TP and that helps him write plan for the next week.

I had two other coaches before him and found a significant difference in how he coached me and attention I rec'd.

Many coaches are really plan writers and then answer a few questions.  It is really a one way relationship the plan writer gives workouts and you are expected to do them. They don't have a solid method to check how the workouts went and base training on the progression you have made and your goals.

I have had surgery and been ill so haven't worked with him since IMFL 2011 if you happen to glance at my training.

2013-08-27 11:55 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Do athletes expect coaches to write every single workout tailored specifically to them? I have always wondered this as it seems, at least from my POV, this is expected by some athletes.

Not trying to stir the pot here just a simple question.
2013-08-28 4:03 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by bcagle25Do athletes expect coaches to write every single workout tailored specifically to them? I have always wondered this as it seems, at least from my POV, this is expected by some athletes. Not trying to stir the pot here just a simple question.
I think it depends on what the coach promised. IMO, only a foolish coach who doesn't understand the value of their time nor some basic training principles would literally write every single training session from scratch. Instead, using workout libraries that they've developed over time, and tailoring each session is a more efficient use of time that provides clients with a better experience than being handed a 20 week plan. IMO, if a coach is providing more than a month or so of training sessions at a time, and not adjusting the planned training based on the athlete's execution, recovery, and schedule conflicts, then I certainly hope the athlete is paying a substantially reduced fee and didn't expect a higher level of service. I think that's what the more experienced posters are saying they want and expect.

2013-08-28 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by bcagle25Do athletes expect coaches to write every single workout tailored specifically to them? I have always wondered this as it seems, at least from my POV, this is expected by some athletes. Not trying to stir the pot here just a simple question.
I think it depends on what the coach promised. IMO, only a foolish coach who doesn't understand the value of their time nor some basic training principles would literally write every single training session from scratch. Instead, using workout libraries that they've developed over time, and tailoring each session is a more efficient use of time that provides clients with a better experience than being handed a 20 week plan. IMO, if a coach is providing more than a month or so of training sessions at a time, and not adjusting the planned training based on the athlete's execution, recovery, and schedule conflicts, then I certainly hope the athlete is paying a substantially reduced fee and didn't expect a higher level of service. I think that's what the more experienced posters are saying they want and expect.

As a coach I do a mix of both. I have some workouts saved to libraries that I can put into training plans, and then I create some from scratch. My clients can usually tell the ones I wrote from scratch because I put in comments that are directly related to their training. I would say I do 75% writing from scratch (each and every week for 6-10 clients), and 25% using workouts I have already created and saved that I can drop in.

While not the most time effective method of coaching, I care more about providing my clients with a very customized level of coaching that the
copy/paste job just can't do. I also write training plans weekly, unless I know I'll be out of town, etc. and can't get to writing training plans the next weekend.

Each coach is different though. And I'm not saying it isn't effective. My coach who is $175 a month (I only charge $125 a month), uses ALL pre-made workouts that he just copy/pastes. I pay him more than I get paid as a coach, so as an athlete I obviously don't have an issue with it. Just as a coach, I usually need to write training from scratch simply because all of my clients and their needs, and requirements are all so different.

Edited by KSH 2013-08-28 8:39 AM
2013-08-28 9:40 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Click on the link in my sig line. My coach is really, really good. He meets all of the requirements you laid out. He currently has room for one or two athletes, at least the last time I asked him about it.

I have referred other people to him and they have been very happy with him and with their improvement while training under him.

Warning! He is hard core. You will work your butt off and some days you will hate him, which is good. He expects you to do the work and to communicate with him frequently so he can make "the plan" work for you.

He is also an insanely fast AG triathlete so it gives me a bit of an inferiority complex when I race with him but it also pushes me to work harder.
2013-08-28 9:50 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by wannabefaster Click on the link in my sig line. My coach is really, really good. He meets all of the requirements you laid out. He currently has room for one or two athletes, at least the last time I asked him about it. I have referred other people to him and they have been very happy with him and with their improvement while training under him. Warning! He is hard core. You will work your butt off and some days you will hate him, which is good. He expects you to do the work and to communicate with him frequently so he can make "the plan" work for you. He is also an insanely fast AG triathlete so it gives me a bit of an inferiority complex when I race with him but it also pushes me to work harder.

As strong as it sounds, I think the bolded is still a bit of an understatement.    

2013-08-28 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by bcagle25

Do athletes expect coaches to write every single workout tailored specifically to them? I have always wondered this as it seems, at least from my POV, this is expected by some athletes.

Writing the workouts is probably the easy part.

It's assembling the plan at a micro level, on a weekly basis to work with the real life situations, to allow proper load and recovery.
Real life situations are things like work, travel, pool availability, weather.....if you're training 6 hours per week, that's easy. If you're training 20, it requires thought.
It's also building a plan to fit at a macro level
This where the secret sauce is.

It's to analyze the workouts to see if the athlete is under/over stretching that is time consuming

Writing an individual workout to achieve a specific goal is easy.

2013-08-28 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by marcag

It's assembling the plan at a micro level, on a weekly basis to work with the real life situations, to allow proper load and recovery.
Real life situations are things like work, travel, pool availability, weather.....if you're training 6 hours per week, that's easy. If you're training 20, it requires thought.

It's to analyze the workouts to see if the athlete is under/over stretching that is time consuming

Your steering away from the intent of my question, but I agree with what you said.

2013-08-28 10:44 AM

User image

Kinda sorta a similar question - I'm considering going the coach route next year - my plan in IM Chattanooga (my first) - my funds are rather limited (doozy of a paycut with my new job post military) - in peoples experience, what would the minimum time a coach would need to work with me...would 6 months (so like March) be too little? or would it depend on my current training?

unsure about winter yet - I was thinking about doing one of the BT maintenance plans (probably the run focus, since that seems to be my weak point) - but not sure
2013-08-28 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Your steering away from the intent of my question, but I agree with what you said.

Sorry...I'll answer and tell me if I got the intent of your question

No, I don't expect a workout to be written specifically for me.
I expect a coach to have a library of workouts that he assembles and how he assembles them is specific to me.
He may throw something into one of those workouts now and then.

2013-08-28 11:04 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by TriMyBest
As a coach I do a mix of both. I have some workouts saved to libraries that I can put into training plans, and then I create some from scratch. My clients can usually tell the ones I wrote from scratch because I put in comments that are directly related to their training. I would say I do 75% writing from scratch (each and every week for 6-10 clients), and 25% using workouts I have already created and saved that I can drop in. While not the most time effective method of coaching, I care more about providing my clients with a very customized level of coaching that the copy/paste job just can't do. I also write training plans weekly, unless I know I'll be out of town, etc. and can't get to writing training plans the next weekend. Each coach is different though. And I'm not saying it isn't effective. My coach who is $175 a month (I only charge $125 a month), uses ALL pre-made workouts that he just copy/pastes. I pay him more than I get paid as a coach, so as an athlete I obviously don't have an issue with it. Just as a coach, I usually need to write training from scratch simply because all of my clients and their needs, and requirements are all so different.

I agree with much of what you're saying, Karen, but from your post, I think maybe I wasn't clear in what I meant by pulling from a library of sessions and tailoring to the individual vs building them from scratch.  To me, the first means cutting and pasting the rough session structure, then adjusting durations, planned paces & distance, TSS, adding notes specific to the athlete, etc, and the second means literally starting with nothing and reinventing the wheel every time you write a session, including things like common neuro-muscular activation exercises, adding videos with drills, stretching, or anything else necessary, etc.

2013-08-29 8:27 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Thanks everyone! Lots of good suggestions that I'm going to look into ASAP.

My last coach provided all 6 months at once. While the plan worked b/c I'm the type that will do what I have on the schedule no matter what, it was very overwhelming at times when I was broken knowing that no matter what I'd force myself to follow the next week. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was much less than the coach I'm considering now which is $225/month. That's one reason I'm looking for suggestions. I'll pay for a great service, but I want to make sure I end up with someone who works well with me and that I do my research.

There's always another cost w/ this sport.

And I just bought a new bike.

Most expensive hobby ever.
2013-08-29 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Sorry...I'll answer and tell me if I got the intent of your question

No, I don't expect a workout to be written specifically for me.
I expect a coach to have a library of workouts that he assembles and how he assembles them is specific to me.
He may throw something into one of those workouts now and then.

yup as is what the majority of coaches do.

2013-08-29 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
going to throw in another possibility. Super knowledgeable, responsive and great to work with.

Heath Dotson at

http://www.HDcoaching.net/
2013-08-29 2:31 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Elite
Originally posted by KSH

Message sent! I have coached 2 athletes for IMLP and one lives on the course. I also sent you their contact information for references!

Good luck in finding a coach who works for you! Ask questions! Be picky!

Karen

Though I do not know KAren personally and we have never met, I have communicated with one of her clients as we prepared for IMLP this year via FB....He spoke very highly of her and he has made substantial improvements in his performance......so just a backdoor endorsement....if I can fit coaching in my budget for my next IM I would definately consider her.......(Karen may be reading this going "Who is this guy???" lol)
2013-08-29 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by DCT76 Thanks everyone! Lots of good suggestions that I'm going to look into ASAP. My last coach provided all 6 months at once. While the plan worked b/c I'm the type that will do what I have on the schedule no matter what, it was very overwhelming at times when I was broken knowing that no matter what I'd force myself to follow the next week. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was much less than the coach I'm considering now which is $225/month. That's one reason I'm looking for suggestions. I'll pay for a great service, but I want to make sure I end up with someone who works well with me and that I do my research. There's always another cost w/ this sport. And I just bought a new bike. Most expensive hobby ever.

There are many good coaches who charge less than $225/month if money is an issue.

Your last coach was a plan writer more than a coach. Smart to look for someone who is a better fit and coaches you more.

Don't rush to make a decision.

Make a list of what's important to you, email coaches with a little bio and goals, ask a few questions, narrow it down to a few and ask if they will chat with you via phone, Skype or whatever.

Ask for references and check them out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Coach references Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for some winter coaching/training advice

Started by GoFaster
Views: 950 Posts: 5

2009-09-22 10:18 PM Steve-

Look at my new running coach

Started by MrSolis
Views: 1554 Posts: 21

2009-02-16 5:11 PM MrSolis

What to look for in a coach

Started by katybug34
Views: 1403 Posts: 3

2008-09-06 6:53 AM gsmacleod

What to look for in a coach?

Started by joerigg
Views: 898 Posts: 6

2006-10-04 6:20 PM KathyG

Looking for a tri or running coach in Dallas, TX

Started by KSH
Views: 1334 Posts: 8

2005-12-28 1:42 PM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.