General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rode Pigman bike course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-24 9:47 AM

Veteran
Iowa
Subject: rode Pigman bike course
For those of you doing Pigman for the first time, I rode the course on Saturday. It was pretty much as I expected. The elevation profile is on the website--the whole course is generally rolling. From the start until you get to Vinton you're basically going either up or down--not a lot of flats, with some larger hills in there. They tend to be longer and more gradual than the hills I ride around Iowa City. Hills at mi 15, 20 and 38 stood out, but they're much more intimidating as you approach them than when you're actually riding them.

Heading out of Vinton toward Urbana there are many more flats/false flats. The course from Urbana back to the park still has hills, but there didn't seem to be quite as many uphills as there were on the way out.

The final approach is a bit daunting (mind you, this is the first time I've ridden this far). Once you turn back onto Palo Marsh Rd you travel a long false flat/very gradual uphill until you hit a steep, curving hill just before you enter the park. It was hard.

I didn't drive the whole run course, but from what I did drive it's pancake flat except for a 1/4mi or so downhill out of the park that you get to go back up on the way back. I'd say it's shorter than the big hill at Dutchman but steeper. Not too bad.

2006-07-24 6:15 PM
in reply to: #490984

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: rode Pigman bike course

Thank you for the info. 

Now all we need is cool weather and below 78 degree water temp.

See you there!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rode Pigman bike course Rss Feed