Bridgeport, Connecticut
United States
Team Mossman Triathlon Club
Total Time = 2h 42m 35s
Overall Rank = 166/286
Age Group = 30 - 34 M
Age Group Rank = 20/30
Pre-race routine:

Background: Had signed up for this race before summer started as the last race of my 1st year in triathlon. I had intended to do 3 sprints (May, June, July) and finish with this Olympic in August. A bad bike accident that ended with a broken collarbone changed my plans. I missed the 1st 3 races in my 3 months out recovering. I added a sprint at the last second last weekend. It really helped build my confidence. Even though I was definitely undertrained for an Olympic, I figured, what the hell, I can always walk or go slow if I get tired.Up at 4am for a breakfast (bowl of cereal, english muffin with banana and peanut butter) before I hit the road.
Event warmup:

Light jog and swam a few hundred yards in the water to warm up.
Swim
  • 28m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

We started in waist deep water, the air horn sounded and we were off. Headed at a slight diagonal to the shore to the first buoy. Due to the low tide, the water stayed waist deep all the way to the 1st buoy. IT was strange seeing a mixture of athletes swimming and some were even running. I ran for a second and realized it would drain mhy legs so I swam. Got into a comfortable rhythm and just swam my own race. I feel I sighted well and was happy comming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I'm slow and have not practiced transitions.

Practice transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 1s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.05 km/hr
Comments:

Had no idea how to pace since this was my 1st olympic. Just kept it comfotably hard and stayed to the right. I made sure to sip HEED during the ride as the week before I got some bad calf cramps. Seemed to do the trick. I downed a gel at the beginning of the last lap.

Nothing. Good bike for me. Learning experience being my 1st Olympic. May have been able to push a bit harder but might have blown up on the run?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Slow, need to practice.
Run
  • 52m 56s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Although I've run over 10km before, this was my first 10k race. Wasn't sure how this was going to go. Felt good coming off the bike and started at a comfortable pace with HR in mid 170s. Walked briefly at turnaround to get HEED and ice which I dumped down my top and held cubes in my hand to lower my body temp. I started to feel crampy and stiff by the time I hit the turn-around for the second time and was ready to be done. I walked the aid station again and my lets actually felt worse when I was walking and I could feel how tight they were. I convinced myself to run the rest of the way and did. Felt great to cross the finish line!

Suprisingly my swim fitness returned quickly after my injury and I was able to maintain my bike fitness on the trainer. My run fitness has just not come back yet. However; I'm Very happy overall with my performance .Would obviously have like to have been better trained but considering my injury and time I missed I'm extremely happy that I got to do 2 events this year. It was a great learning experience and really built my confidence. I'd like to train for more sprints and olympic distance events next year and possibly set my sights on a HIM at the end of 2014.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, water and waited in line for a massage. It was glorious!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury and lack of training.

Event comments:

Great race. Lots of enthusiastic volunteers on the course. Fast fun course with a lot of really fast people. Aid stations well stocked, beautiful weather and great scenery. Will def do again next year.

Last updated: 2013-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:03 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/286
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:01 | 40 kms | 31.05 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 5 Loops flat course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:56 | 10 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop run course along the beach. Beautiful!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-08-27 8:07 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Park City Mossman Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Park City Mossman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Park City Mossman Triathlon

Started by pitt83
Views: 1425 Posts: 1

2007-08-27 2:48 PM pitt83

Started by jamesG
Views: 1983 Posts: 13

2007-08-29 8:33 PM tbryant

Started by tri_sport19
Views: 1475 Posts: 3

2007-08-30 5:53 PM tbatt

Started by jellyfish
Views: 1630 Posts: 9

2007-08-27 3:38 PM tri_sport19

Started by klointheridge
Views: 1840 Posts: 6

2005-08-17 1:44 PM rollinbones
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!