United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 23m 28s
Overall Rank = 355/485
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 33/43
Pre-race routine:

Got to transition about 5 to get my gear ready and pump up the tires.
Swim
  • 41m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was actually a little over 1.4 miles so the pace was closer to 1:35 min/ mile.

Water temps were cool but after a quick warmup it was fine. Swim felt good, stayed to the outside as usual. I took a few good hits early on. Great calm conditions so there were no problems sighting or breathing.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 06m 60s
Comments:

6:60 ?? That is from the Rev3 site, not sure if it's supposed to be 6.6 or 7??

It's a long run from the beach to T1. I took the wetsuit off on the beach and carried it. Could have been quicker but everything went smooth.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 05m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This where the race came apart. The bike started off feeling very good. Average speed was slightly higher than planned but the HR was in the range I wanted.

At mile 30 I crashed. From what I can recall there was a rough section of pavement that I wasn't able to avoid. I felt the bars get pulled out of control & had enough time to say 'oh f###' to myself before impacting the pavement. Someone stopped to help me up and get my bike out of the road.(wish I had gotten his bib number so I could thank him again) State Trooper was there quickly, asked me some questions about the race and stayed with me while I regained my stability. Lost about 8 minutes overall. Got back on bike and continued, but a bit slower than pre-crash.

First - Not crash!
Second - Inspect helmet after crash. If I had I would not have gotten back on the bike since it had several cracks in it. Especially since I was still a little unsteady, a second crash would have been much worse.
Transition 2
  • 05m 26s
Comments:

Slow transition. Felt a bit dizzy bending over to change shoes and just took my time.
Run
  • 2h 24m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Slow. I was afraid of pushing it considering how I was feeling post crash. I wanted take it easy for the first half & if I felt better at the turn around I would pick up the pace. Stayed at an easy pace for the entire run except a push at the end to pass someone before the finish. :)

Probably should have gone to the med tent instead of running....
Post race
Warm down:

Got medal, shirt, & water. Went to med tent. They cleaned some of my road rash and confirmed that I probably had a mild concussion. (that was confirmed with a visit to the Dr. the following day) Got some post race food after the med tent visit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Impacting pavement with my head.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the course and the day. (in spite of the crash) I did the Oly at this location last year and really like the additional challenge of the 1/2 distance. It was really great to race with several other KBTC club members and to see so many of them volunteering at the aid stations and in transition!

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:09 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/43
Overall: 181/485
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeves
Course: 3 sides of a rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:60
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:05:40 | 56 miles | 18.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/43
Overall: 326/485
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:24:13 | 13.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/43
Overall: 355/485
Performance: Below average
Course: Relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-28 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: Rev3 Maine - Half Rev

2013-08-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4840932

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Rev3 Maine - Half Rev
Sorry about the crash, but glad you were ok. Since you finished I guess the bike was ok too?
2013-08-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Veteran
Maine
Thanks.

The bike does seem OK, some gouges on the shifters and the rear derailleur seems a little off on the higher gears but otherwise in good shape. I need to go over it more thoroughly to be sure.
2013-08-28 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4840932

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Phew! I'm still amazed you finished after a crash. Glad you are safe and that the spill wasn't more serious. Congrats on a second HIM finish. Looking forward to seeing you at Wallis Sands. Which reminds me...I better book a hotel!
2013-08-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Yikes - I was reading along and enjoying the race vicariously and then... CRASH.  I'm glad it wasn't more serious, but bummer that you had a concussion, for sure...

Given that you kept racing, I'm just amazed that you were able to hold it together and push on.  Many folks would not be ABLE to keep after it.  It's a tough call as to whether or not to stop during a race (I appreciate your helmet comment - that would stop me, too), so I appreciate your writing about it - helps others to think about what we'd do in that situation.

Despite the concussion, you showed a lot of mental strength!  Sounds like you even managed to have fun after the crash.  Laughing

Matt

2013-08-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

Veteran
Maine
GreenMtn, Now I just need to have a HIM finish without a footnote. Looking forward to Wallis Sands too, it should be a fun day. We need to book our room as well & now I need to pick up a new helmet. Best of luck on your first Oly!! See you soon.

Matt, Thanks, it was a good day. Being a home town race it was nice seeing lots of people I knew out there. That also helped keep me chugging along on the run, albeit slowly. Seeing the helmet after the race was a bit unnerving so I felt it was worth mentioning.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Maine - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Maine - Half Rev

Started by jayfellows
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2012-11-04 7:28 AM jayfellows

Rev3 Maine - Half Rev

Started by ewheeler1976
Views: 892 Posts: 2

2012-09-13 10:19 PM BigDH

Rev3 Maine - Half Rev

Started by ratherbeswimming
Views: 2285 Posts: 12

2012-09-10 12:08 PM CarlG

Rev3 Maine - Half Rev

Started by wbayek
Views: 2208 Posts: 9

2012-09-05 2:15 PM ratherbeswimming

Rev3 Maine - Half Rev

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1252 Posts: 3

2012-09-05 2:10 PM ratherbeswimming
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.