General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elevation/Climbing Feet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-28 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Elevation/Climbing Feet

Recently there have been a lot of threads mentioning the advertised climbing feet versus the actual climbing feet.  This includes IM Canada/Whistler, IM Lake Tahoe, etc.  The consensus seems to be that MapMyRide (MMR) under reports climbing feet and maybe Ride with GPS is better or some such. 

From a training perspective, does it matter?  If we know that IMC's elevation was calculated with MMR and then we map out a training ride near home using that tool, wouldn't the it be the same climbing feet as the target race?  In other words, is the algorithm the same regardless?  Wouldn't 3500 MMR climbing feet in North Carolina be the same as 3500 climbing feet in California and the same as 3500 climbing feet in Georgia?

If that is the case, it would be really helpful if Race Directors would note what tool they used to calculate the elevation that the advertise.

2013-08-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

New user
Subject: RE: Elevation/Climbing Feet
What is the actual issue with the altitude errors? Whenever I look at things like mapmyride, the issues I see are because of the elevation data being wrong, for example they are picking up the elevation off the road a bit instead of the road, which was cut into the side of the mountain. I often see elevation profiles that ignore the fact that the path or road goes through a tunnel. If that's the reason why they are wrong, then you probably won't have any consistency of error on a platform. My mapmyride might be off 10% while yours is dead on.
2013-08-28 12:22 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by jmkizer

Wouldn't 3500 MMR climbing feet in North Carolina be the same as 3500 climbing feet in California and the same as 3500 climbing feet in Georgia?

You would think so. But I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
2013-08-28 12:27 PM
in reply to: bufordt

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bufordt What is the actual issue with the altitude errors? Whenever I look at things like mapmyride, the issues I see are because of the elevation data being wrong, for example they are picking up the elevation off the road a bit instead of the road, which was cut into the side of the mountain. I often see elevation profiles that ignore the fact that the path or road goes through a tunnel. If that's the reason why they are wrong, then you probably won't have any consistency of error on a platform. My mapmyride might be off 10% while yours is dead on.

I'll use my training for Vineman last year as an example.  MMR gives it something like 3300 climbing feet and the race info says closer to 4000 climbing feet but I live in North Carolina, not California, so I could not ride the course in advance.  I wanted to make sure that I was training on similar routes to the race route though.

People training for Whistler and Lake Tahoe have expressed similar concerns.

2013-08-28 12:28 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Wouldn't 3500 MMR climbing feet in North Carolina be the same as 3500 climbing feet in California and the same as 3500 climbing feet in Georgia?

exactly. you would need to simulate the same vertical speed you hope to get on the race course or find hills of the same grade.
2013-08-28 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Follow up question -- what is most accurate?  I would think that the Garmin devcess with a barometer are at the top of the list followed by what?  Garmin watches without barometer (310xt, etc.)?  Ride with GPSGoogle maps cue sheetsMap My Ride?  Where does Strava's interpretation of Garmin's data fall in this spectrum?

2013-08-28 12:37 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Follow up question -- what is most accurate?  I would think that the Garmin devcess with a barometer are at the top of the list followed by what?  Garmin watches without barometer (310xt, etc.)?  Ride with GPSGoogle maps cue sheetsMap My Ride?  Where does Strava's interpretation of Garmin's data fall in this spectrum?

Define 'accurate'. It's relatively easy to measure the total climb of a steady grade and I would think most of those would work reasonably well. But start throwing in grade changes, dips, plateaus, descents, etc. and now it's not even clear what you should measure when you say 'climbing'. Therefore, it's difficult to pinpoint 'accuracy'. I think that's the main issue.
2013-08-28 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Define 'accurate'. It's relatively easy to measure the total climb of a steady grade and I would think most of those would work reasonably well. But start throwing in grade changes, dips, plateaus, descents, etc. and now it's not even clear what you should measure when you say 'climbing'. Therefore, it's difficult to pinpoint 'accuracy'. I think that's the main issue.

Accurate in terms of comparing the routes to one another.

2013-08-28 3:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I don't think you can compare how close two courses are to each other just by looking at total elevation gain.  Even if the measurement for both courses are dead on accurate.

It matters more "how" the elevation is gained.  Rollers, short steep hills, long steady climbs, etc.  There are some courses where you can gain a lot of total elevation and never get out of the big ring because it's just constantly rolling.  Then there are some courses that have these steep and short hills and the rest of the course is pancake flat...so the total elevation doesn't seem like that much.

Edited by Jason N 2013-08-28 3:28 PM
2013-08-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Originally posted by Jason N

I don't think you can compare how close two courses are to each other just by looking at total elevation gain.  Even if the measurement for both courses are dead on accurate.

It matters more "how" the elevation is gained.  Rollers, short steep hills, long steady climbs, etc.  There are some courses where you can gain a lot of total elevation and never get out of the big ring because it's just constantly rolling.  Then there are some courses that have these steep and short hills and the rest of the course is pancake flat...so the total elevation doesn't seem like that much.

Gotcha.  So if you are fairly confident that the terrain is relatively similar as well as the total elevation...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elevation/Climbing Feet Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Elevation gain vs Elevation variation???

Started by jkintn
Views: 1109 Posts: 2

2011-09-30 11:25 AM tjfry

climbing vs. elevation gain

Started by papson14
Views: 4519 Posts: 20

2009-03-25 9:24 PM FeltonR.Nubbinsworth

Training at elevation and racing at sea level?

Started by BellaDad
Views: 661 Posts: 7

2005-06-28 2:58 PM joeinco

Bike Elevation Average Grade?

Started by kanoelani
Views: 661 Posts: 3

2005-05-11 8:40 PM kanoelani

abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot

Started by steven
Views: 1129 Posts: 4

2004-05-06 10:30 PM evrunning
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.

date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.