World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 17m 8s
Overall Rank = 308/2600
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/105
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30, showered, ate oatmeal with honey and a banana. Prepped my bottles for the bike, applied TriTat race numbers (these are awesome, much better than using a marker), headed to transition. Pumped bike tires in transition, put bottles on the bike, turned on GPS tracker in T1 bag. Headed to swim start. Since this is a time trial start based upon when you get in line, and I didn't get to the start until 6am, the line was already extremely long! A friend got to transition at 3:30 and then went to the swim start, and he was in the water at 7:01. I didn't get into the water until about 7:25. We got to the start of the line and walked down the path--one side was athletes, the other was either family members or the line for the bathrooms. The toilet lines were LONG, so I would suggest getting a spot in the swim line first EARLY then asking someone to save your spot so you can go to the toilet line. I had gone in transition where the lines were short. By the time I reached the end of the swim start line, I was far past any toilets. Some people around me were running off to the woods to go, even though the race director indicated that anyone going to the bathroom other than in a toilet would be DQ'd.

I sat once I got to my spot in line. At about 6:30 I started to feel a little hungry, so I had a gel. This turned out well. With about 15 minutes to go before getting in the water, I had my 100 calories Gatorade Pre drink. I was also sipping water with an electrolyte tablet in it for most of the morning, until about 30 minutes before getting in the water. I did have to pee by this time but figured I would try to go in the water.
Event warmup:

Walking 1.5 miles to the end of the swim line! There is no opportunity for an in-water warmup at this race. I tried to swing my arms and loosen my shoulders as the line started to move once the cannon went off. It took about 25 minutes before I got in the water.
Swim
  • 1h 12m 16s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I expected to have more clean water because of the time trial start of this course, but because the swim is my weakest link, I stayed close to the buoys to minimize swimming any extra. This meant I was swimming over slower swimmers who started early, and getting run into by faster swimmers behind me. It was crowded at the turn buoy, so much so that everyone was just breast stroking through there, no way to continue a normal swim stroke. After the turn, I had fairly clean water for a while, but would frequently have people swimming at a diagonal in front of me. Because of the straight course, I did not have to sight as often as usual, so that was nice, and the buoys were large and easy to see. I was able to pee while swimming, which isn't easy since the body is in motion, but I felt much better after getting that out of the way! It got really crowded passing under the two bridges, though there was no apparent reason for this. Getting out of the water was also crowded, but the volunteer catchers were great helping pull everyone up to the stairs.
What would you do differently?:

This was the first triathlon swim that I didn't hate! I had lower back, hip and hamstring pain (or tightness) that worried me, but I actually enjoyed the swim, especially after the turn. I might have been able to push it a little bit harder, because when I finished I was not tired at all! My breathing was pretty good throughout, so again, I possibly could have gone harder, but every time I felt as though I was getting too comfortable with my stroke, I would try to pick it up. The current definitely helped me have a good swim time. I did get dunked once (it felt intentional), kicked in the face (unintentional), and punched in the back of the head, but I just don't know if I could have avoided those things.
Transition 1
  • 05m 14s
Comments:

I felt great coming out of the water, so the run to T1 was good. The volunteers had my bag ready to hand to me as I ran to the tent. I had read in a previous race report that you could sit outside the tent to get ready, and that is a good opportunity to pee in the grass if needed. I tried, but I guess I didn't need to, but I still got ready outside of the tent since I wasn't changing clothes. I made the mistake of putting on my shoes before lubing my feet, so that added extra time because I had to take the shoes back off. Although it would have been nice to have a chair to sit in and a volunteer to help me had I chosen to go in the tent instead of on the grass outside the tent, as I ran through to get to my bike I saw how crowded that tent was and knew I made the right decision just going it alone for that one.

I had my Body Glide and chamois cream in a small plastic bag, and my nutrition in another small bag. Maybe numbering the bags so I follow the steps I want to in order would have helped--my mind was racing trying to get through transition as fast as possible that I wasn't really thinking clearly, so maybe that would have helped.

I started down the wrong row for my bike, then ran right by my bike when I was in the right row. Even though I had counted the racks prior to the race and knew where my bike was, I was just so excited that I wasted some time looking for it. So I think slowing down and calming down would help.

Overall I was happy with transition.
Bike
  • 5h 47m 51s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I was nervous that I wouldn't meet my time goal on this course after driving it the day before, and that was based upon a comparison to a somewhat hilly route I have ridden near home and the length it took me. My plan was to ignore my speed and instead focus on my heart rate, though I did change my Garmin to show my average speed. As it turns out, I beat my goal and really enjoyed the course! I went out pretty fast on the flat first 10-12 miles, but I wasn't pushing too hard, it was just a comfortable, somewhat hard effort, but nothing crazy. Still I was passing a ton of people. Then when the hills started I stuck to my strategy of going as fast as comfortable on the downhills and just riding the pace I could on the uphill without grinding too hard. This worked! Although I was a little nervous because everything I read said do NOT push too hard on the bike until the final 33 miles, because those who do end up walking the marathon. And here I was, passing a bunch of people the entire race, and wondering if I was going to end up as the one "they" warned me about, pushing too hard on the bike and walking the marathon. But I felt within my limits all day. The most difficulty I had was with my shoulders and neck, which fatigued earlier than usual and were in a lot of pain for most of the ride. My hamstrings sometimes felt tight, but ended up fine. I could not get in as much nutrition as I had planned, but since I had fueled well prior to the start of the swim I wasn't really worried about it. I didn't feel hot until the second loop on the bike, but the heat didn't really bother me at all.

I'm not sure--I think I pushed it as hard as I could have without blowing up my legs. I was nervous at times about being penalized because I had to pass so many people, and sometimes I was double-passing--going behind someone else who was passing but who I also needed to pass. Though I had trained with Perform, the stuff in the bottle on the course was just horrible, but I had to drink it anyway. I tried to pee on the bike starting at about mile 80, and it just wasn't happening. I did not have to go badly enough to warrant stopping, and that made me unsure as to whether I was drinking enough, but I think I was. Maybe because I went in the swim I was okay.
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

I didn't even think about taking my feet out of my shoes prior to getting off my bike, so I just ran through transition with my bike shoes on, no big deal. A volunteer took my bike, another had my bag ready to hand to me, and this time I went into the tent, which was pretty much empty, and a volunteer helped me with my bag. She got my nutrition out for me to hand it to me and repacked my bag so I didn't have to worry about it. She also handed me a cup of water. She was awesome!

Nothing, though I kind of wanted to stop at the toilet on the way out, but there was a line of 4 people and I didn't want to wait. Otherwise this went smoothly.
Run
  • 4h 08m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not sure how I feel about the run course--it's a little bit boring because it is almost a completely straight out and back that you do twice. Also, some people said it was shaded, but at the time I was running there was very little shade except for maybe a mile on the way back in. I did pee while running, twice...that made my socks quite soggy--gross! However, my Saucony Kinvaras are so light that they drained well, and I was using ice and sponges at every station, so I had plenty of water to wash everything off. I'm not sure there were many toilets on course--I didn't pay much attention, but it seemed like only a couple at each aid station. As I expected, I started the run too fast, and ended up running slower in the second half. My Garmin is set to show me mile splits, and they kept getting slower for a while, then stabilized, then got slower again. I started just drinking water and putting ice in my sports bra and sponges in my shirt. I tried Perform a couple of times, and it was better than the stuff on the bike course. I took a gel between miles 5 and 6, but then realized that my stomach was going to start rebelling. I planned to take another gel at mile 10, but my stomach wasn't ready, so I managed it at mile 12. After that, I relied on water, ice, coke and some Perform. I was feeling thirsty, but only because of dry mouth, I think. Since my stomach was seizing up a bit, I would take a cup of ice and suck on the ice cubes to try to satisfy the thirst feeling. Everything got tough at mile 12, and at mile 17 everything below the waist just hurt--feet, ankles, all leg muscles, etc. I didn't really look at my watch to determine finish time until mile 20, when I realized that not only was I going to beat my 12 hour goal, I was likely going to beat 11:30, too! So I started passing the time by calculating what pace I had to run to do that. When I got to mile 23, I really wanted to walk (which I had not done yet), so I made a deal with myself that I could walk for 1 minute at the next aid station. But then I realized that I was close to an 11:15 finish time, so I made myself keep running. I tried to pick up the pace at mile 20, too, but only managed to do so in the last couple of miles. With less than 2 miles to go, I knew I was going to make it. I had felt worse in previous marathons, so even though I was no longer having fun and wanted to stop, I knew I would be fine. With less than a half mile to go, I started smiling. Then I started to get a little choked up. Then I started to have breathing problems! This has never happened before, but twice during the run I felt chest tightness, but it went away, so I figured it was something environmental I had run past. But I almost starting hyperventilating just before the finishing chute. Luckily I regained control of my breathing and was smiling big! I saw my family in the chute and gave them high fives, then I heard my name over the PA system and I celebrated as I crossed the line. Amazing!!!

Although I beat my goal, I am a little frustrated that I could not keep a 9:20 pace through the whole run. I started at 9:10, probably averaged 9:20 for the first half, but then averaged around 9:40 for the second half. I don't think going too hard on the bike was the problem, because it wasn't that much of a slow down. My nutrition problems were likely just a cause of my blood flowing to support my tired legs and not to help with stomach and digestion. Maybe I should have tried some chicken broth to add some salt instead of sweet. I did take 2 salt stick tabs during the run, and had no cramping problems at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled back to the hotel, which was only a block from the finish, and sat in the hotel pool. The water was not cold, but I felt like I needed to let my legs float. I don't know if it helped or not.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know--maybe bike fitness? If I had gotten more bike training in, maybe my run would have been faster? Also, I clearly still need to work on my swim form, based upon my age-group ranking in each of the disciplines and how out of whack my swim is with my bike and run.

Event comments:

Really great race, awesome venue, good bike course, decent run course. Volunteer support is phenomenal, everything well-organized.

Last updated: 2013-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:16 | 4156 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 33/105
Overall: 0/2600
Performance: Good
Suit: Two-piece Zoot tri suit
Course: First 500 yards is between the island and shore, fairly sheltered from the current but into the sun. Next 500 yards to the turn buoy opens up a bit but probably had more of a current to battle. After a 180 degree turn at the buoy, it is all downstream with the current. Buoys were very easy to see, finish line buoy was very close to shore so no need for a final turn, just a diagonal course towards the finish.
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:47:51 | 112 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/105
Wind: Little
Course: I drove the course the day before, since I never got a chance to ride it prior to the race, and I was NERVOUS after driving it. As a flatlander, the hills seemed long, though most of them were not steep. So I had adjusted my goal time in my head to deal with what I thought would be a slow bike. The first 10-12 miles are flat and mostly shaded, which is nice. The road has some potholes to be cautious about, but nothing too bad. Then the rollers begin. After a few miles, the turn onto an out-and-back portion of the course is made, which has a long, steep descent and then climb, then you turn around and come back the other way. Mostly shaded here, too. Then the turn back onto route 42 brings more rollers, until you get to the turn for the loop. Again, the rollers are nonstop, though there is a short section before getting into downtown LeGrange that is flat enough to recover and get into a groove. I heard someone describe this course as a "down up course." Meaning that you tend to go down a hill before having to climb the next one, so definitely take advantage of the momentum you can gain in a downhill to let it carry you as far as possible on the uphill. Though the rollers were constant, I really enjoyed this course. Since you do a portion of the course twice, you know what to expect, plus after the second loop you head back into town the way you came, so not too many surprises. The final 10-12 miles again are flat, so a nice spot to pick up the pace but also get ready for the run.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:08:06 | 26.2 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/105
Course: A two-loop course that is well-marked, except for the turnaround at halfway when you are directly in front of the finish line. You are actually running towards the finish chute when you are redirected to head out onto the course for lap two. I was very confused because at that point there were not many people around me, and without my glasses I couldn't see the sign directing me to lap two until the last minute, so for a moment I thought I had missed the turn. The water stops are great, though as the day went on, they seemed to start running out of supplies and the volunteers were having trouble keeping up with the demand while also trying to clean up the trash left by everyone who had already gone through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-28 1:41 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2013-08-29 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4841346

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congratulations on a great race! We had nearly identical experiences (and times for that matter). Great stuff!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3705 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3570 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 8019 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4212 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7760 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.