General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-28 3:17 PM

Subject: Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day
Yup, I'm guilty. Thought I knew how to start the multisport on my Garmin on race day, even practiced it TWICE in the time before the gun, but once I was in the water, managed to somehow not start the timer until after leaving the swim. Doh.

If there's a foolproof memory trick song or rhyme that makes it error-proof please share!

2013-08-28 3:22 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Subject: RE: Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day
Yep, I usually forget to hit lap until I'm already a couple minutes into the bike/run.
2013-08-28 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4841459

User image

Subject: RE: Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day
It's not that intuitive. When you finish the set up it says "Start Multisport" - but I have I pressed "start" instead of "Enter". Press "Enter"!!!!!

I also forget to press the lap button when I exit the pool.
I even practiced it in a mock triathlon before my race (pretended to swim before a brick workout).
2013-08-28 3:54 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Stopped my Garmin on the IM marathon to pee around mile 4 (just using it for pace, had a stopwatch for my overall time) and never restarted it.
2013-08-28 3:58 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Messed it up?  I'm so convinced I'll mess it up I haven't even tried. 

And the watch/wetsuit problem? Forgettaboutit--not gonna risk it.

Step 1:  Hang watch on bike.

Step 2: Start watch--in bike mode--once out of T1.

Repeat for run once outta T2.

2013-08-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Did a marathon this spring and at the one mile mark it said I was right on pace for the first 1760 yards.  Doh, had it on swim mode.

2013-08-28 4:20 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
I messed it up in like my first four or five tri's this year before I started to get it right. Embarassed
2013-08-28 4:25 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

It's not that intuitive. When you finish the set up it says "Start Multisport" - but I have I pressed "start" instead of "Enter". Press "Enter"!!!!!

I also forget to press the lap button when I exit the pool.
I even practiced it in a mock triathlon before my race (pretended to swim before a brick workout).

^^ this EXACTLY. And repeatedly.
2013-08-28 6:49 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I have never once managed to do it right.
2013-08-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by meggfishy

I have never once managed to do it right.

+1, I now consider it a challenge to get accurate split data. Might never happen but I am undeterred
2013-08-28 8:37 PM

Roswell
I can get multisport started with no problem. I do always seem to hit lap one too many times and lose my run splits. I have started added a second run leg (swim, bike, run, run), so that it will keep recording when I inevitably hit lap at the wrong time.

2013-08-28 10:13 PM
in reply to: chrishatcher1138

Ok, just for the record, can somebody post the CORRECT way to do it? Even after screwing it up 3 times this past weekend, I still don't know which buttons to press and when?

I think the start button on the side starts the multisport for the 910xt, but I don't recall if you need to hit another button to for it to get going? And then is it lap to switch sports?
2013-08-28 10:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Get it into multisport mode:
Start button = start swimming (no need to do anything more)
Lap button = Stop swimming, enter t1 (assuming you have "include transitions" set up
Lap button 2nd time = exit t1, start biking
Lap button 3rd time = stop biking, enter t2
Lap button 4th time = exit t2 start running
Lap button 5th time = done

FWIW, I stopped using auto multi-sport mode a long time ago because I still manage to screw this up. You train 99.999% with the device in not multi-sport mode (at least I do) - and my race addled brain doesn't seem to like the different behavior of the watch in MS mode. For example, being in MS mode changes the screens (you get the MS screen) which confuses/bugs me. More importantly, I use the lap button during a race to track things like power on hills vs. power on flats or run pacing over key areas of the race (again hills vs flats etc). Being in MS mode prevents you from using the lap button and the additional MS screen is semi useless to me.

I generally just change modes on the fly in t2 (I don't wear the watch on the swim so it's already in bike mode so nothing to do in t1). I don't care if I record transition times via my watch and I can change modes while running so when I'm on the run the watch shows exactly what it does in training and the lap button works exactly like I expect it to.

Edited by cnsegura 2013-08-28 10:43 PM
2013-08-28 10:42 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

I have gotten it close to right 1 out of 6 times I've used it, missed hitting the LAP button out of T1 by a few seconds. Every other time, what I've managed to get recorded was pretty much useless, though I have managed to hit the start button at the start of the swim correctly 5 times in a row. Transitions, bike and run seem to really be my problem.

After the last one a couple weeks ago, I am thinking to just forget about the multisport and use it to show cadence. I hate using it for pace as I mostly do sprints and I feel I shouldn't pace because I should always be going wide open. Cadence seems to be a better motivator for me.
2013-08-28 10:49 PM
in reply to: Pete1234

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
TGT- practiced it multiple times but for some reason in a race I always want to hit "lap" to cycle to the next discipline rather than "stop". Curses!

Also, started a running race only to realize I still had it in multisport mode.
2013-08-28 10:54 PM
in reply to: Pete1234

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
I've done two tri's and screwed it up both times. At Oceanside 70.3, I hit a button while taking off my wetsuit and it wasn't the same after that. At an olympic a couple weeks ago, I didn't have transitions on so once again, multisport was a no go before even leaving T1. So frustrating

2013-08-29 5:52 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
No, I haven't, I just missed the Start button altogether :p

At least it was just the local tri race.
2013-08-29 6:17 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by thebigbTGT- practiced it multiple times but for some reason in a race I always want to hit "lap" to cycle to the next discipline rather than "stop". Curses!Also, started a running race only to realize I still had it in multisport mode.
You do need to press "lap", not "start/stop" to switch legs. Mine has worked fine every race. Like every other skill in triathlon, it takes practice. Visualization techniques can help too.
2013-08-29 8:11 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by thebigbTGT- practiced it multiple times but for some reason in a race I always want to hit "lap" to cycle to the next discipline rather than "stop". Curses!Also, started a running race only to realize I still had it in multisport mode.
You do need to press "lap", not "start/stop" to switch legs. Mine has worked fine every race. Like every other skill in triathlon, it takes practice. Visualization techniques can help too.

^^^This is right.  Hit "LAP" and NOT  "START/STOP" to go from Swim to T1 to Bike etc.

I have successfully used multisport several times and have screwed it up too.  When you are in multi sport mode and say you somehow correctly get to the Bike segment without screwing it up.... The initial screen for the bike data is not what I normally use.  However, you can use the arrows on the right side of the watch to cycle through your normal bike Data Field Screens.  Took me a few races to figure that out.  During Multisport, you actually have 5 screens.  1 for Multisport.  4 from your normal bike / run set up.

Also, every great plan, that is well executed can be totally screwed up by bumping into someone in the water and hitting lap.  What I do now is wear my watch on the underside of my wrist rather than the normal way.  This has helped avoid the accidental bumping into other swimmers and the inadvertant advancing to T1 while I'm still in the water.  It's no big deal if it happens in the race as long as you don't try to fix it.  Just go with it knowing your T1 time is way off. 

I prefer to ride my bike with my watch on the underside of my arm anyways.  It's easier to see it while in aero.

The last couple of tris I've done I have not had an issue with my wetsuit getting stuck on my watch.  I pull my non-watch arm out first and then I have a little more leverage to pull my watch arm out.  Seems to work well for me.

Someone asked how to properly set Multi-sport up:

1.  Hit Mode

2.  Training

3.  Multisport

4  Customize your triathlon here.  I choose to check the box that says "include transitions".

5.  Start Multisport (by hitting Enter).

6.  Gun / Horn / Cannon goes off

7.  PUSH START

8.  KICK A$$!!!

2013-08-29 8:20 AM

User image

Master
I finally got it right in my last race so I'm 1 for 5. My problem was always hitting the stop instead of lap and then trying to fix it by manually trying to switch modes. I started practising during training and finally got it right.
2013-08-29 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
I have had 7 races to date and have fortunately got it right all 7 times..save being a bit tarder after T2 on two occasions. I practice the autosport mode when I practice my transitions. I practice transitions EXACTLY how I do them on race day which include the Garmin Autosport mode. I am so tied to my 910 that I don know what I would do without it

2013-08-29 8:47 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

I always mess up the required sequential combo of first the "ENTER " (side) button THEN the START button to actually start the timer. Lost my swim split 3x because I forgot to hit the start after enter!
2013-08-29 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Every stinking time!

Now I don't even try. I just hit the lap button in T2 and manually switch it to run mode.

2013-08-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
It is easy to use in theory, but if you don't lock the keys, you can really screw things up by hitting the lap button by accident. I did that at Ironman Steelhead. Hit the lap button by just reaching into food bag while halfway on bike. That started T2. So I had to reset everything and go straight into bike mode.

This past weekend I tried to use each mode seperately and it worked better. I was in swim mode for swim. I stopped/reset and changed to bike mode on run to T1. I stopped it when I rode into T2 and then on run out of T2, I switched it over to run mode.

Locking the keys is much easier. However, if you lock the keys on the bike, you may need to set your screens up to scroll if you need more data.
2013-08-29 9:32 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
In my first Tri I forgot to hit lap going into T1 and hit it twice at the bike mount line. My Garmin said that I had a 1 second T1, but my swim time was 2 minutes longer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Admit it - you've messed up how to start your multisport on Garmin on race day Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Race Day Nutrition for a Late Start

Started by Shazzy
Views: 969 Posts: 5

2013-08-01 5:18 AM Shazzy

Garmin 910 in Auto Multisport for racing

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1597 Posts: 5

2013-05-17 7:47 PM TTom

Garmin FR305 Race Day Procedure

Started by chrisemt
Views: 939 Posts: 6

2008-08-10 8:53 AM TexasMPGal

mid-day race start nutrition

Started by skcycle
Views: 905 Posts: 3

2008-07-09 1:27 AM skcycle

Race day build-ups

Started by Evocati
Views: 1234 Posts: 5

2008-06-05 12:55 PM Evocati
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : April 21, 2005
author : Ron
How to use our detailed online race log to track your season and progress.