General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help Please with first HIM prediction!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-28 6:53 PM

Subject: Help Please with first HIM prediction!!
Hi!! My first HIM is less than 1 month away!! Its Cozumel (Sept. 22) I cant wait for it, but i was wondering if you could help me predict my finish time, i'd love to finish under 6 hrs, but to finish is the goal!!

- I am working on the free HIM Trainning plan from this site and i have missed very few work outs
- Every midweek bike ride (doesnt matter if the plan calls for an easy 60 ride) i have done sufferfest videos
- For long rides i have done some extra work, i have done a few 100km + rides, and for the 3hr ride planned for next weekend i have a 140km ride with 2,000 mts climbs. Most of my long rides have been with 1,000mt climbing at least.
- For the swim i know i can sustain 2:00/100 mts no more no less, jajaja. Just did an Oly last week at that pace and seems like i need a coahc because no matter how hard i swim i see no gains, hehe but i've made my peace with a 36-38 min swim.
- I ran a HM 2 weeks ago weeks (my first stand alone) i finished in 1:47, i felt great and had a lot of fun
- Last saturday i ran an Oly and PR'd by far!!! I finished in 2:41 (second best time was last november 2:56), 30 min swim / 1:08 ride / 55 min run (i was still hurting from the HM, bad timing on those, haha).

I belive i can hold these paces:
- 38 min swim, as said before i've made my peace, haha.
- 3:00 ride, depends on wind but its a pancake flat course
- 2:00 HM
- 0:12 mins for transitions and spare time!!

What do you think? doable? Im too exited!! (sorry for the long post)

Thank you as always for your help!!

2013-08-28 7:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Help Please with first HIM prediction!!

Were your previous events in warm temperature ? Do you do well in hot conditions ?
A 1:47 HM early in the morning and a 2h HIM run at noon in Cozumel are two different beasts

Edited by marcag 2013-08-28 7:17 PM
2013-08-28 7:32 PM
in reply to: marcag

Thank you! Actually you are right, i hadn't thought of that but a good point is that the HM was in Mexico City with a 7,300 ft altitude and was more less hilly (100mt total climb?), do you think this would offset the temperature? or i should be prepared for a much slower run?

The Oly was a very similar temp as cozumel, humid Mexican beach weather, haha.

Thank you!
2013-08-28 8:17 PM
in reply to: svalenzuela

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by svalenzuela

Thank you! Actually you are right, i hadn't thought of that but a good point is that the HM was in Mexico City with a 7,300 ft altitude and was more less hilly (100mt total climb?), do you think this would offset the temperature? or i should be prepared for a much slower run?

The Oly was a very similar temp as cozumel, humid Mexican beach weather, haha.

Thank you!

The problem with HIMs is the run ends up at the worst time of day. For example my brother in law who is a 1:20HM did a 1:40 in the heat.

If you do an Oly start at 8, you are running by 10 at the latest. But when you start a HIM at 8, you are running past noon.

If you are used to the heat, you may be less impacted. It is very much a personal thing. How 'heavy' you are makes a big difference in the heat as well.

I think you have a shot, but don't chase a time.
2013-08-28 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Also a suggestion : your next long ride...do it at the time of day to coincide with your race.
Do it at race pace and run 30 minutes off the bike
You will get a feel for proper pacing of the bike and what it feels like to run after it.
Do the same nutrition, same hydration as your race. Do a race rehearsal.
2013-08-28 8:38 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
If its hot.... Start out slow on the run. You can always build on the pace throughout. If you are excited to be off the bike you might go out to fast the first couple miles and then the heat will catch up to ya. Slow at first can be a slower run but too fast and walking can be much worse

2013-08-28 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
don't worry about doing sufferfest videos instead of 60 outdoors. i did nothing but sufferfest all the way up to my HIM with one ride outdoors of 60ish miles beforehand and rocked the bike.
2013-08-28 10:21 PM
in reply to: Clempson

Really? Curious as to how you structured that - would certainly be very time efficient, I think, if you could pull it off with only one longish ride!
2013-08-28 10:22 PM

A decent estimate for similar courses is Oly x 2 + 20 minutes. Was within 5 minutes of my HIM result if I plugged in a recent Oly.
2013-08-29 4:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Clempson

don't worry about doing sufferfest videos instead of 60 outdoors. i did nothing but sufferfest all the way up to my HIM with one ride outdoors of 60ish miles beforehand and rocked the bike.

I am not sure that advice is for everyone.

Yes, Sufferfest are great. They add huge entertainment value to well proven interval workouts like 2x20 or 3x8 or 15x1 (or 30sec, can't remember).......They will get your power threshold up. I love em, I use them all the time.

But they don't replace long rides. Personally I have found the more long rides I have done, the better I run off the bike.

Edited by marcag 2013-08-29 4:13 AM
2013-08-29 4:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by peteweb55403

If its hot.... Start out slow on the run. You can always build on the pace throughout. If you are excited to be off the bike you might go out to fast the first couple miles and then the heat will catch up to ya. Slow at first can be a slower run but too fast and walking can be much worse

This is great advice.

The two places people kill their run :
1) on the bike
2) on the first 2 miles of the run.

It's the excitement as mentioned above, as well as the funny feeling your legs have and you don't perceive speed as well. Doing the race rehearsals allows you to learn and see what it feels like.

Edited by marcag 2013-08-29 4:27 AM

2013-08-29 9:59 AM

Thank you very much for the input everyone.

Regarding the SF videos, they have been my only mid week rides thoughout the trainning, but almost everyweekend i have had the chance to do some long rides (most 2:30+ and a couple of 100km +/-), my final ride, 2 weeks before the race, right on time to begin tampering will be a 140 ride with 2,000mt climbs, haha, should be fun i hope i dont die 2 weeks before my race!

The improvement i have felt during the HIM trainning on the bike has been monumental (for my standards, i have never been too atlelic or competitive in any sport! But im the one that has the most fun in the bunch, haha) thank God, I also droped about 6kg so that should help, i will arrive to race day weighting 176 lbs, im 6 ft tall. Acording to my nutriologist that's my ideal weight even though i still need to derop some fat (aiming for 22% for race day, maybe a little lower) and gain some muscle.

As for the pacing ill take your advice on the beginning of the run, i cant simulate the heat of the day here in Mexico City but ill do my long ride this weekend at noon, does it have to be a 90k ride followed by the run? at race pace? or will a shorter ride work as well? The plan calls for some wierd multi transition work out, haha (8x 4 run 6 min bike 4 min run), but im thinking this race simulation will be better since its my last chance for a long brick.

Thank you for so much advice!!

Edited by svalenzuela 2013-08-29 10:02 AM
2013-08-29 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

As for the pacing ill take your advice on the beginning of the run, i cant simulate the heat of the day here in Mexico City but ill do my long ride this weekend at noon, does it have to be a 90k ride followed by the run? at race pace? or will a shorter ride work as well?

This is a personal preference that has worked well for me, but the longer the ride, ie closer to race distance, the better. You get a good idea of what it feels like on the bike and then what it will feel like on the run. I don't know about you but at 60km I could go on forever and at 90 I want to get off the stupid bike and start running :-) I can't simulate that on short rides.

Remember how you feel at 30, 60, 90 and then into the run. I usually like to run 30min off the bike. The first 10min feel crap but usually am running too fast. But then if I feel good for the next 20, I know it will be fine. If the Next 20min are difficult, you overcooked the bike. If at the end of 30min you feel you could have done it again, you are probably fine.

Also practice your nutrition and hydration on the long ride.

if you use a HRM, take a look at what works and use that to guide you in your race.
2013-08-29 2:10 PM

Thank you very much!! I will try to get the 90 min ride this weekend and see how the run goes.

For HRM i did buy a polar RCX5, i love it and have used it in my last races and all trainning work outs. On the run i know where to keep my HR at but for the bike i havent been able to figure it out because its MUCH lower than the run, its hard for me to get my HR up to 130bps (im 30 and last Oly i had a 150 average HR ), so i get lost on measuring the effort by HR on the bike. I will go back to my racing and trainning files and try to figure something out.

Thank you! for all the time you've taken to give me some advice.
2013-08-29 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
2013-08-29 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
just don't take a book to read in transitions and you'll have some extra spare time

2013-08-29 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thank you very much!! I will try to get the 90 min ride this weekend and see how the run goes.

For HRM i did buy a polar RCX5, i love it and have used it in my last races and all trainning work outs. On the run i know where to keep my HR at but for the bike i havent been able to figure it out because its MUCH lower than the run, its hard for me to get my HR up to 130bps (im 30 and last Oly i had a 150 average HR ), so i get lost on measuring the effort by HR on the bike. I will go back to my racing and trainning files and try to figure something out.

Thank you! for all the time you've taken to give me some advice.

Many people have a lower HR on the bike. 10 beats is very normal.

If you raced the Oly hard, you can kind get an idea of your zones from it. They won't be super accurate but it's a start.

Do you feel you executed the bike and run well in the oly ?

What was your HR at the start mid and end of the bike and run ?

You can PM me if you prefer.
2013-08-29 7:01 PM

Thanks!! I think the bike was very good, for the run i was not at my best because i had ran de the HM the week before, i had sore legs until thusday, Haha. But i will get the info tonight at home and ill PM you to see if you could take a look! Thanks again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help Please with first HIM prediction!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First 10 mile race coming up - help please

Started by Jelly21
Views: 1289 Posts: 16

2010-10-22 10:51 AM Parr8hed

Trying To Have Cake for the First Time-Please Help

Started by slow triathlete
Views: 905 Posts: 3

2008-10-15 9:58 PM ChrisM

Help with first taper please :-)

Started by benc84
Views: 727 Posts: 6

2008-10-06 10:38 PM keyone

First Tri HELP!!! PLEASE

Started by jjost1
Views: 1748 Posts: 21

2008-08-13 9:17 AM mikep

First timer...need some help, please!

Started by cyclegiant3
Views: 406 Posts: 3

2006-03-29 8:33 PM rlaffey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.