General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNS or chance it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-08-29 5:50 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: DNS or chance it?
So I got a lottery slot to worlds. Then a month ago I got sick. At first I trained through it. Shortened workouts, skipped workouts, more of each, and then finally now I'm just either sitting at work or laying in bed. Two rounds of amoxicillin, one z-pak, now I'm on two steroids (not on the banned list) and per the doctor waiting until Sunday to start taking a third antibacterial so that the z-pak is out of my system. I was starting to have shivers and nausea just standing still or sitting and I was getting motion sickness laying in bed. At the beginning it was just sniffling and coughing (I actually didn't feel "bad," just had NO energy at all, then towards the end of the third week I got a few days of throbbing headaches which have gone away, now it's mostly the blah feeling. They say it's a sinus infection.

I live less than an hour away from the course. And I'm an 8 hour HIM, 16+ hour IM person, I'll qualify one day, but don't know when that day will be.

I'm going to lay off the training until race day. The training seemed to make it worse and my body although feeling better because of the steroids does not feel well and it feels like it has been through a long and tough battle. If I feel well enough, I race.

I did an IM on 6/23 and trained 890 hours for it over 18 months (16:52:56), and got sick a month after that when the recovery was ending and the heavy training was beginning. A couple of 50+ mile rides, 9 mile run.

There's always a chance I will DNF. Under these conditions would you just not start or if you felt well that day start it and hope the IM training would carry you through it? Do I even have a chance of finishing? I have done 2 8-hour HIMs before and I want to do that this time, I want a 7:59:59 finish or better, just looking to meet the cutoffs.

I hear it's very common to get sick after an IM because it suppresses the immune system.

I pushed through when I had to, I backed off when I had to, I truly would not have done anything differently, the timing just sucked. Paid for IM June last year, got selected for Worlds January of this year.

Sigh

2013-08-29 6:40 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: DNS or chance it?

Will a DNF affect your future plans?

DO IT! 

As long as you are comfortable with the swim you can always stop after that.

See how you feel race day and make the decision.

If you DNS then volunteer but I would not miss it if your'e that close...

2013-08-29 6:42 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Deb, given that you're still sick and are planning on starting a third round of antibiotics, I think it would be a really bad idea to do this race.  I think you'll most definitely end up further in the hole than you are now, and to do a HIM just to finish because you have been too sick to train (and doing it might make you more sick) just doesn't compute.

Get healthy. Train. Sign up for another race :)

2013-08-29 6:44 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by switch

Deb, given that you're still sick and are planning on starting a third round of antibiotics, I think it would be a really bad idea to do this race.  I think you'll most definitely end up further in the hole than you are now, and to do a HIM just to finish because you have been too sick to train (and doing it might make you more sick) just doesn't compute.

Get healthy. Train. Sign up for another race

I was trying to think of a way to say this, thank you.

2013-08-29 6:51 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by axteraa

I was trying to think of a way to say this, thank you.

agreed.  If you were healthy and under trained that is one thing.  I'd say go for it.  But you are still sick.  Trying is likely to make you sicker.  Want to feel the way you feel for longer then you already were going to feel?

2013-08-29 6:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-08-29 6:56 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Fred D

Get healthy. Train. Sign up for another race :)

. This is sage advice. However, in my limited and anecdotal experience, when people are posting questions like the OP is, they fully intend on starting the race and are looking for some affirmation. I'm often wrong though. Btw love the new avatar!

It's Yanti in my avi :)  I feel compelled to stress that to everyone.  I don't have any fun pics like that of me.

You know, Fred, I was thinking that maybe Deb was looking for "permission" to NOT do the race:

Haha...OK Deb do you want people to say do it or don't do it;)

2013-08-29 7:27 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

You have read GatorDeb posts before, right?

2013-08-29 7:28 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Deb, you've said that a big reason for your involvement in triathlon is your health, having overcome a lifetime of obesity. Racing while sick is counter to that.

If you feel up to it by race day, go to the race and cheer for everyone else on, but don't race.  Otherwise, stay home and get better.  Worlds or not, there will be more opportunities to race.

2013-08-29 8:02 AM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Agreed, there are always other races.

Shane
2013-08-29 8:14 AM
in reply to: 0

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Honestly, what I REALLY want is for it to be 9/9 and have that stupid race be in the past and not the future. I just want it over, one way or another.

There are only 2 races which would generate this discussion, any other race and it wouldn't even be a question of DNS'ing, Worlds and Kona (I did enter the lottery for Kona and didn't get in). I mean, which 8-hour HIM person gets a free pass to Worlds and doesn't go, right?? Then you add in that it's the last time it's in my backyard and even after qualifying in the future, watch it be in Australia the first time I qualify :\ Add to THAT that it may be a few years by the time I qualify.

I want to feel WELL for a handful of days before I even think of anything more strenuous than walking because the last thing I'm about to do is start working out again the first day I feel well and then have a relapse.

In the grand scheme of things no it won't be the end of the world to DNS and to DNF and I don't want to start getting so scared to DNF that I don't start a race, but I'm also not going to start a race unhealthy. At this point in time whether I even start is in question. So my question is not really whether I start sick. My question is, AFTER a few days of feeling WELL, chance it and do Worlds without adequate training, or not start at all. If I'm sick I'm not racing.

I wonder if I were 100% well tomorrow with no chance of relapsing whether the interruption in training would prevent from doing an 8-hour HIM.

So I'm at the doctor's and he's telling me I can train and I'm looking at him thinking, dude, I can barely stand, I'm going to bed after this. He says I can train easy and I'm trying to explain to him any training easy enough that I could manage on a less sick state wouldn't be hard enough to make a difference in tri training anyway so I may as well just stay in bed and he's not getting it (he's not versed in tris), and he's looking at me with this look like I'm trying to weasel out of training, and I finally just gave up trying to explain.

I had been told since the beginning by 2 different doctors that I can't make a sinus infection worse and train to my heart's content, and you have that tug-of-war inside whether you should be pushing against it or laying off. I'm close enough to Worlds today that by the time I get well (thinking Monday-Wednesday) it'll be close enough to Worlds where any training won't matter any way. I plan to get on the bike for half an hour around the neighborhood Friday of next week if I feel well because I want to make sure I can handle the bike without being wobbly for safety purposes and then a few hours later thinking a 1-2 mile run, just to loosen up the body, but other than that, I think at this point completely bed rest until Sunday morning of next week is in order.

The one thing I didn't plan on was getting sick Kinda makes sense WHEN I got sick, even, right when recovery was ending and the training restarting.

Edited by GatorDeb 2013-08-29 8:17 AM

2013-08-29 8:36 AM

Veteran
Western Australia
I don't know that swimming with a sinus infection is a great idea, even if its just the remnants of one. Is the swim ocean, lake or river? How clean is the water?
2013-08-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by StaceyK

I don't know that swimming with a sinus infection is a great idea, even if its just the remnants of one. Is the swim ocean, lake or river? How clean is the water?

Ya know, I didn't even think of that. It has been described as "brown bath water." Lake Las Vegas. I'm still sick today but assuming I were 100% over it right now are 11 days after being sick enough to recover.
2013-08-29 8:47 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Not start at all.
2013-08-29 8:50 AM

Champion
Originally posted by GatorDeb

There are only 2 races which would generate this discussion, any other race and it wouldn't even be a question of DNS'ing, Worlds and Kona (I did enter the lottery for Kona and didn't get in). I mean, which 8-hour HIM person gets a free pass to Worlds and doesn't go, right?? Then you add in that it's the last time it's in my backyard and even after qualifying in the future, watch it be in Australia the first time I qualify :\ Add to THAT that it may be a few years by the time I qualify.

Would it make you feel better if it wasn't really a World Championship but rather a race that is called that?

I had been told since the beginning by 2 different doctors that I can't make a sinus infection worse and train to my heart's content, and you have that tug-of-war inside whether you should be pushing against it or laying off. I'm close enough to Worlds today that by the time I get well (thinking Monday-Wednesday) it'll be close enough to Worlds where any training won't matter any way. I plan to get on the bike for half an hour around the neighborhood Friday of next week if I feel well because I want to make sure I can handle the bike without being wobbly for safety purposes and then a few hours later thinking a 1-2 mile run, just to loosen up the body, but other than that, I think at this point completely bed rest until Sunday morning of next week is in order.

The one thing I didn't plan on was getting sick Kinda makes sense WHEN I got sick, even, right when recovery was ending and the training restarting.

If that is the shape you are in, there should be no question as to whether you DNS or not, that should be a foregone conclusion.

BTW what does your coach say?

Shane
2013-08-29 8:55 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX

Great advice! I agree.

2013-08-29 8:55 AM

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Would it make you feel better if it wasn't really a World Championship but rather a race that is called that?

But it is

If that is the shape you are in, there should be no question as to whether you DNS or not, that should be a foregone conclusion.

BTW what does your coach say?

Shane

If I'm not well I'm not starting, I'm making the decision on how I feel on race morning, I'm just wrestling whether if I feel 100% well by Monday or Tuesday and it keeps up with feeling well into Sunday to go for it.

My coach says to listen to my body. She has given me alternate workouts, switched the type and duration of workouts, pretty much whatever I've asked her to (i.e. I didn't run this week, what should I do tomorrow). She thinks this is a sign to take a couple of months of light training whether I race or not instead of continuing regular training, i.e. one session a day vs. two sessions.

Oh, as far as the race? She won't make that decision for me Keeps coming back with listen to my body. I have already paid for another HIM in October (paid for before I got into Worlds), THAT one she has been very vocal that I should scratch it, 10/19.

Edited by GatorDeb 2013-08-29 9:01 AM
2013-08-29 9:00 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Regular
LHOTP
Even with the further explanation, I don't think you should do it. I know it's easy to get hung up on an idea like worlds or Kona, but that really only goes so far. If you're gonna have a crap race because you haven't trained, you've been sick for a long time, and its a tough course on a good day, that is the magic eight ball of life saying "all signs point to no". I have never had an illness which has required three rounds of antibiotics; that would give me serious pause for any kind of training. Virtual double shoulder shake--no racing for you.
2013-08-29 9:01 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by gsmacleod

But it is

Yes, it's a race that's called that. It's not really any kind of World Championship except in the minds of the WTC--a corporate entity, not a world sport governing body.

Again, don't start. Rest, recover, rebuild.
2013-08-29 9:05 AM

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

Even with the further explanation, I don't think you should do it. I know it's easy to get hung up on an idea like worlds or Kona, but that really only goes so far. If you're gonna have a crap race because you haven't trained, you've been sick for a long time, and its a tough course on a good day, that is the magic eight ball of life saying "all signs point to no". I have never had an illness which has required three rounds of antibiotics; that would give me serious pause for any kind of training. Virtual double shoulder shake--no racing for you.

You just gave me vision of Seinfeld.

Heck, *I'VE* never required three rounds of antibiotics and two steroids to get over something. When it comes to that, I'm 100% the Ironman was the culprit. I can't remember the last time I've been this sick, over a decade for sure. Since I started working out I barely get sick to begin with. I actually give the little bugger props for being able to get a foot in and hold on this long.

Then again there's always the possibility it's a virus and I'm feeling better because this is the first time I take a non-antibiotic Really no way to tell with those things, I also may just be getting better because of my body and not any meds.
2013-08-29 9:08 AM

Champion

Honestly, what I REALLY want is for it to be 9/9 and have that stupid race be in the past and not the future. I just want it over, one way or another.

I want to feel WELL for a handful of days before I even think of anything more strenuous than walking because the last thing I'm about to do is start working out again the first day I feel well and then have a relapse.

In the grand scheme of things no it won't be the end of the world to DNS and to DNF and I don't want to start getting so scared to DNF that I don't start a race, but I'm also not going to start a race unhealthy. At this point in time whether I even start is in question. So my question is not really whether I start sick. My question is, AFTER a few days of feeling WELL, chance it and do Worlds without adequate training, or not start at all. If I'm sick I'm not racing.

I wonder if I were 100% well tomorrow with no chance of relapsing whether the interruption in training would prevent from doing an 8-hour HIM.

So I'm at the doctor's and he's telling me I can train and I'm looking at him thinking, dude, I can barely stand, I'm going to bed after this. He says I can train easy and I'm trying to explain to him any training easy enough that I could manage on a less sick state wouldn't be hard enough to make a difference in tri training anyway so I may as well just stay in bed and he's not getting it (he's not versed in tris), and he's looking at me with this look like I'm trying to weasel out of training, and I finally just gave up trying to explain.

Actually the doctor IS getting it by the sounds of it and trying to let you know that you could train easy if you felt up to it. In my short experience most docs would prob be giving you the advice to not do anything until better if you are going through your third round of abx to treat an infection and saying you feel awful--so it sounds like they are trying to give you something to do. If you truly feel that bad that you are saying you are going to put yourself on bed rest then you shouldn't be doing anything and you've answered your own question.

My own personal "wait until you are better" experience from last year was an HM that I did with the beginning of the flu...ended up with bilateral pneumonia. I think twice about doing things unwell now. Just saying. It sucks that you got this sick before a race you were looking forward to but it happens. Get better and pick another race.

My 0.02$

Edited by mndymond 2013-08-29 9:09 AM

2013-08-29 9:11 AM
in reply to: mndymond

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, how long did THAT take to treat and take away? I know how easy it is for anything respiratory to turn into pneumonia or bronchitis bad enough to land you in the hospital (hasn't happened to me, but I know how easy it is for it to happen).
2013-08-29 9:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by switch Even with the further explanation, I don't think you should do it. I know it's easy to get hung up on an idea like worlds or Kona, but that really only goes so far. If you're gonna have a crap race because you haven't trained, you've been sick for a long time, and its a tough course on a good day, that is the magic eight ball of life saying "all signs point to no". I have never had an illness which has required three rounds of antibiotics; that would give me serious pause for any kind of training. Virtual double shoulder shake--no racing for you.
You just gave me vision of Seinfeld. Heck, *I'VE* never required three rounds of antibiotics and two steroids to get over something. When it comes to that, I'm 100% the Ironman was the culprit. I can't remember the last time I've been this sick, over a decade for sure. Since I started working out I barely get sick to begin with. I actually give the little bugger props for being able to get a foot in and hold on this long. Then again there's always the possibility it's a virus and I'm feeling better because this is the first time I take a non-antibiotic Really no way to tell with those things, I also may just be getting better because of my body and not any meds.

Are the steroids legal under USADA?

Edited by dmiller5 2013-08-29 9:24 AM
2013-08-29 9:24 AM

Champion

If I'm not well I'm not starting, I'm making the decision on how I feel on race morning, I'm just wrestling whether if I feel 100% well by Monday or Tuesday and it keeps up with feeling well into Sunday to go for it.

My coach says to listen to my body. She has given me alternate workouts, switched the type and duration of workouts, pretty much whatever I've asked her to (i.e. I didn't run this week, what should I do tomorrow). She thinks this is a sign to take a couple of months of light training whether I race or not instead of continuing regular training, i.e. one session a day vs. two sessions.

Oh, as far as the race? She won't make that decision for me Keeps coming back with listen to my body. I have already paid for another HIM in October (paid for before I got into Worlds), THAT one she has been very vocal that I should scratch it, 10/19.

Well, the good news is, it is not really a World Championship

I will tell you what your coach should:

Do. Not. Race.

Shane
2013-08-29 9:24 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by switch Even with the further explanation, I don't think you should do it. I know it's easy to get hung up on an idea like worlds or Kona, but that really only goes so far. If you're gonna have a crap race because you haven't trained, you've been sick for a long time, and its a tough course on a good day, that is the magic eight ball of life saying "all signs point to no". I have never had an illness which has required three rounds of antibiotics; that would give me serious pause for any kind of training. Virtual double shoulder shake--no racing for you.
You just gave me vision of Seinfeld. Heck, *I'VE* never required three rounds of antibiotics and two steroids to get over something. When it comes to that, I'm 100% the Ironman was the culprit. I can't remember the last time I've been this sick, over a decade for sure. Since I started working out I barely get sick to begin with. I actually give the little bugger props for being able to get a foot in and hold on this long. Then again there's always the possibility it's a virus and I'm feeling better because this is the first time I take a non-antibiotic Really no way to tell with those things, I also may just be getting better because of my body and not any meds.

Are the steroids legal under USADA?

Yes, posted that in my original post :D I contacted the race director before I even took them he directed me to USADA, I downloaded the PDF and searched the names of the two I'm taking. Most of the banned one are anabolic steroids and mine are corticosteroids, there are two kinds, and the ones I'm taking are mostly inflammation-reducing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNS or chance it? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Flat tires, and the dreaded DNS

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1445 Posts: 17

2007-07-17 11:19 PM JohnP_NY

My first DNS

Started by kellc09
Views: 912 Posts: 6

2006-10-30 12:58 PM chirunner134

DNS!!!!

Started by Tizzy
Views: 1110 Posts: 11

2005-09-18 10:53 PM KSlostStar

Lessons from DNS's

Started by Laerka
Views: 581 Posts: 3

2005-08-27 10:20 PM Cmikul

DNS this Sunday?

Started by lynda
Views: 938 Posts: 9

2005-07-23 8:25 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2005
author : janicebondar
comments : 0
I committed a serious faux pas; trespassed into taboo territory, inviting all those karma chickens to come home to roost - Recounting my most recent DNS ("Did Not Start")