5430 Sports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 27s
Overall Rank = 679/1422
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 86/140
Pre-race routine:

Got up at some stupid hour, and had my usual yoghurt, oatmeal & tea and headed towards Boulder.
Event warmup:

Staked out my spot next to the rest of the BT guys, went to the bathroom and then a short jog and then bike. Not much more than 5 minutes for either. Put on my wetsuit, had a gel and a easy swim out to the platform. Stopped to adjust my goggles and rubbed my eye and I thought my contact popped out which freaked me out a little but then it settled down and so did I.
Swim
  • 34m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started towards the outside back since I knew I was slow. Got about 100m and my goggles were leaking pretty good so I stopped to re-seat them. When I looked up I was dead last in my wave. Just went out at a pretty easy pace to start. I couldn't see anything so I decided to just sight on the sun and try to swim straight into it which actually worked well. Got to the turn buoy and tried to pick up the pace a little (after stopping one more time to fix my goggles). Stomach started becoming a bit upset down the back straight so I eased off again until it went away, then picked up the pace when it was better. I was sighting off the last buoy and it seemed like I was way off to the right of everyone. In fact there were a couple of times I got worried I might be going the wrong way since I was so far frmo everyone but I swam straight so I'm not sure if it was longer or not.
What would you do differently?:

I need to focus more on just maintaining my form. I tend to lift my head alot more and lose concetration in OW. Still alot of opportunity for improvement here, but I was expecting 37 minutes or so, so I was really happy to be out of the water in 33. Also need to learn to draft. Did the entire swim basically by myself.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Found my bike easily and it went smoothly.

Forgot my gels. Really wished I could have had one on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 36s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 18.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Took it kind of easy out of transitiomn to get my HR down. Found my bike computer wasn't working so I had no idea about my speed or cadence for the entire ride. I was kind of worried about blowing up my legs on the bike so I kept a slow pace all the way to the hill. I just fell in with everyone else although it was killing me not to go by them. I did NOT want to get out of z2 at all here but I still passed a few people. Strangely I found the hill kind of fun with all the chalk messages and people cheering on both sides of the road. There were a bunch of guys dressed up and cheering everyone on and one of their friends was just in front of me. Two of them ran next to him shouting at him the 1/4 mile to the summit which nearly made me bust out laughing. Once I was past the radar guns I pushed the pace down the canyon & along Nelson. Lower back got sore again on the way back. It didn't slow me down but might be a concern for the Long Course. Eased up again on 63rd and tried to be light on my pedals because I was thinking about the upcoming run and saving my legs some. I was definatly feeling my legs at the end though anyway.

I was aiming to go under 1:20 so I probably could have pushed the pace more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Didn't feel blazing fast I but I can pinpoint anything that felt slow either.

Nothin.
Run
  • 55m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal for the run was 10min/mile. Legs felt just fine starting the run and once past the 1st hill I just kept my hr right at the z2-3 mark. Got to the 1st mile and saw it was right under 9/mile and my pace felt comfortable so I just kept it right there. Still, it seemed like I was getting passed left and right, but it was mostly the f30-34 wave which started right after me so I didn't mind at all. Got a slight sidestitch during miles 1-2 but I watched my HR and it went away, never to return. Walked thru most of the aid stations while getting water/gatorade, then tried to pick up my pace a little bit after the turnaround. Picked it up again coming back onto the dam and kept my hr not much below LT for the last 1-2 miles or so. Not sure if it was actually a faster pace or just if it was the same pace and just kept me from slowing. Legs were shot at the end but I knew the end was close so I just pushed it as hard as I could (or really just kept from slowing). Overall I was really surprised and happy to run under 9-minute miles. Pace was only 2 seconds slower than at the Sprint so either I had a really good run here or a bad one there...

Just keep running and eventually I'll get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Cooled off & walked around. Got my bike and watched the pros transition and then met up with most of the BT'ers & drank beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still learning pacing. Keep working on swimming. And biking. And running.

Event comments:

My 1st Oly and my goal was -3hrs and I did so I'm really happy. And I left room to improve for next year, um, on purpose. I got my pics frmo the sprint and I looked so serious in them all so I wanted o make sure & have a good time here. Got home and went to take out my contacts and it turns out the one I thought was gone was gone so I think I did the entire race without it and didn't even realize. Race was well run and organized as expected. Really cool to see alot of the top names in the sport in person too as well as such a big group of BT'ers.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:28 | 1500 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 108/140
Overall: 961/1422
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra full
Course: Out 500m into the sun, then left, then left for a ways, then left & short into the beach. Then up a hill to transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:36 | 26.1 miles | 18.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 83/140
Overall: 585/1422
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Slightly uphill the 1st 5 miles then climbs 600ft in 2/3 mile (15%) up Olde Stage hill. Fast downhill to Rt.36, small hill then flat & fast with new pavement along Nelson Rd. Last 1/3 or so is mostly rollers back to the res.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:17 | 06.21 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 86/140
Overall: 733/1422
mile 1: 8:57 mile 2: 8:50 mile 3: 9:28 mile 4: 8:52 mile 5&6: 19:11
Course: Up a small hill, then out along the dam & flat for a couple of miles or so, then some ups & downs to the turnaround and come back the same way. Completely exposed so no shade at all.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2006-07-24 11:31 AM
in reply to: #491125

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon
Great race!  Nice to have the first Olympic out of the way.  Nice hanging out with you too!
2006-07-24 11:43 AM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

congrats and nice job getting out of the water 5 minutes faster than you had anticipated!! 

since we both left room for improvement (uh, on purpose, right?) for next year, it'll be fun to try to beat our times

great race!

2006-07-24 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice job out there. I don't think I saw you after we were setting up transitions in the morning, but it looks like you had a pretty solid day. Nice work on hitting your goals!
2006-07-24 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Great first Olympic distance race!  Nice work hitting your goals too, that always makes the day more fun.
2006-07-24 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Wow, you beat your run pace goal by over a minute per mile - impressive. Wish **I** could do that! I'm jealous!

Congratulations on a great race and beating your goals. Sorry about the contact lens. Just chalk it up to another "race fee."

2006-07-24 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Great 1st OLY!!  Congrats on a very well run race and on making your goals!!  Keep it up and you'll be rockin it next year

2006-07-24 4:51 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Dude, you're getting fast. WTF?! I used to read your logs and go "cool! this guy's almost as slow as me" and now... I'm very disappointed in you, Drewby.

Nice race!

2006-07-24 10:12 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Woohoo!  Awesome race...SUPER crushing of goals!

Sorry I didn't get to meet you?  Or at least I don't think I did...did I?

2006-07-25 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Nice race and a great swim... before long you and I will be seeing our swim times in the 20s... hell yeah!
2006-07-25 6:36 PM
in reply to: #492815

User image

Veteran
Seattle
verve500 - 2006-07-25 1:27 PM

Nice race and a great swim... before long you and I will be seeing our swim times in the 20s... hell yeah!

What does one have to do to join that "under 20's group?
Great race, Drew!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed