World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 16m 20s
Overall Rank = 307/3100
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 28/267
Pre-race routine:

I woke at 1:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. I tried to keep my mind off the race but found myself getting more and more nervous. I sat around watching TV, eating my two PB&J sandwiches and banana. I went to meet my friend outside the hotel at 5am and we walked over to transition.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Waited in line. Stretched a little, but nothing meaningful.
Swim
  • 1h 06m 39s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt a strong current going out and it took me 30+ minutes to reach the turnaround bouy. Then I flew down to the finish in 36 minutes. Very comfortable but very crowded. Guess it would have been much worse in a mass start as this was a time trial start.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get better at pacing myself. I still find myself doing the breastsroke periodically.
Transition 1
  • 06m 11s
Comments:

I put my shoes on in the tent. We weren't allowed to put them on our bikes and do the flying start, but I've not done this before and I wasn't about to try it at my first Ironman. I felt like this was a good transition time and about average. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't forget anything and I didn't.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 5h 57m 52s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went well for me. I am not a strong rider and this was by far the biggest improvement for me. I was thrilled to be off the bike in less than six hours. The course was very crowded and a bit dangerous. I don't know how they think you can avoid drafting or blocking. People are EVERYWHERE. It wasn't until mile 60 of the ride that things seemed to thin out some. I

I was so happy to stop at the special needs tent and drink my red bull and eat my PB&J sandwich. that totally recharged me. My splits coming in where faster than they were going out. I find it interesting how many transient pains go through your body over the course of a long ride. After 20 miles my legs were sore and felt crampy. That went away. My knee was hurting after 40 miles, that went away. My shoulders and butt hurt for the remainder of the ride but I kept telling myself that it would go away when I got off the bike and it did.

Nothing really. Just the area I have the most to improve in.
Transition 2
  • 08m 1s
Comments:

I almost crashed at dismount because my back brake didn't work (it was wet) and I hit the front brake which sent me over the handle bars, but I landed on my feet and caught the bike. It was really rather funny. Fortunately I decided at the last minute to NOT try leaving my shoes on the bike. I hadn't done it before so I thought I would just stick with what I know. All in all, it was a fine transition.

Maybe learn to dismount with shoes on bike.
Run
  • 3h 57m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt absolutely awesome for the first 15 miles. Then I felt my stomach getting a little weird. I switched to just water at the stations for a while. About mile 20 I threw in a couple of cola drinks and a banana or two. I only took three gels because I thought that might be causing it. It wasn't until mile 22 that I really started feeling terrible. It became a sufferfest from that point on but I was convinced that I had to keep running. I walked 10 or 20 steps at a few aid stations just to get hydrated, which I apparently did okay with since I peed like a race horse at mile 25. All told, it went really well and I'm glad I suffered for the last 4 miles, at least I know I gave it everything I had.

Nothing at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Really nothing. I walked around for a while and watched some people come in. My friend came in at 11:56 and we walked over to the convention center to get our morning bags. Had a couple of pieces of pizza and kept moving. Went back to the hotel and grabbed my car keys. Drove over to transition and got my bike and stuff. Dropped my friend off at his hotel and went back and ate a little, talked to friends and family on the phone and went to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Everything went so much better than I expected. I was hoping to come in under 13 hours. I did that!

In the future, I am going to work hard on my bike and running. That is where I see I will have to improve if I ever hope to qualify for Kona.

Event comments:

While the entrance fees are high, that organization knows how to put on a race! I love the town of Louisville and I couldn't imagine a better experience.

Last updated: 2013-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:06:39 | 3800 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 46/267
Overall: 468/3100
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: The course was a point to put. About 3/4 mile into the current, remainder downstream.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 06:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:57:52 | 112 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 85/267
Overall: 376/3100
Wind: Little
Course: The course was a two loop course with one out and back and a long ride out and back to the loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:57:37 | 26.2 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/267
Overall: 200/3100
Course: The course was a double out and back. Pretty flat, some shade but mostly just HOT!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-29 8:58 AM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2013-08-29 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4842085

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congratulations!!!!!! You crushed your goal!! Awesome!
2013-08-29 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4842085

User image

You are right on about us having nearly identical days. I would say your performance is much more impressive given your AG though. Well done out there!
2013-09-01 12:17 PM
in reply to: paperwind

User image

New user
Philadelphia
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3705 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3570 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 8019 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4211 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7760 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.