World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 01m 56s
Overall Rank = 740/2123
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/113
Pre-race routine:

Left CT on Thursday and drove to Vermont. Once on the road it was nice and relaxed. Dinner at the Look Out in Killington and back to the Grand for pool and hot tub. To bed by 10ish. Up and on the road by 7:20am. Nate, Sloan and I were caravanned with Amy, Craig, Sarah and Bennett. Fair amount of traffic once we were over the border. Did not get into Mont Tremblant until almost 2. Parking was crazy on site so we made our way to satellite parking and took shuttle in. Original plan was for everyone to meet and register together, but everyone was on different schedules. So I went alone and it took about 45mins in line and thru the process. Ran into Amy, Craig, Brad and Kristin once I was done. Walked quickly thru expo and then back to car to find the house. Great house rental setup by K which allowed for the 7 racers, kids, Nate and Sissy and Mitch to stay together close to the race site. It was up the mountain and had trails that led down to the village so very accessible. Unpacked and got ready for dinner. Walked down for the athletes dinner and got in line. Very nice setup once in the tent, but a bit long of a presentation. Ended up getting up and walking around with Sloan to keep him busy. Walked the village and back to house. Up on Saturday by 7:30 to go to the practice swim. Amy and I walked down and had a nice swim out to the coffee boat. Cup of coffee and back in. Bought passes for Nate and Sloan for village activities. Back to the house for the bag packing and bike prep. Once all organized, rode down to transition to drop off our gear and bikes. Then walked up village to have lunch. Back to house for some quiet time before dinner. Sissy and Mitch made a pasta dinner and then sat, chatted, mixed nutrition and climbed in bed by 9:45.
Event warmup:

Woke at 4:15, made coffee, bagel with pb and banana. Brought a 240 cal bottle of Roctane brew for sipping on way to start. Sissy dropped the racers at transition around 5:10. We all went to our bikes to pump tires and drop special needs bags. Then met at our normal spot, porto pots. Good laugh was had by all about the double seaters they had (straight out of a saturday night live skit). Slowly made our way down to the Fexy tent. Then the group separated as some needed to use the porto pots again. once thru with the long moving line, we went over to the grass to put on the wet suits, by morning clothes bag drops. Relaxed a bit and a gu at 6:30. Definitely will remember socks next time as the pavement and the sand were very cold.
Swim
  • 1h 12m 27s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

W35+ started at 7am. went in the designated swim warmup area at 6:45 to test goggles and let water into suit. Water was warmer then air and felt just right. Came out and cleaned sunscreen off goggles on a kind volunteer shirt. Then lined up to head under arch. The time went by really quick and before I knew it we were starting. Lined up mid-line about 3-4 people deep. Don't normally like this position on line, but both right and left ends were packed. Had pretty clean water for first 3 buoys until we started to swim into the waves in front of us. Also was able to draft pretty good for first 5 buoys then it became tougher and tougher as everyone was swimming around, and thru the previous waves. After the 7-8 buoy I ended up staying right on the buoy line and touching each buoy as I made my way to the turn. This position was relatively clean other then swimming around people. For some reason actual vomited / regurged at one point on this section. not sure why. At the first right turn it got a bit congested but I stayed right. Ended up getting clean until next turn. Then I took a really good hit to the head. Had to come up and take an extra breath before swimming away. Stayed on the right inside the buoy line for the entire swim back to the beach. It was completely clean water other then a couple of people I swam thru. Knew I was giving up the draft advantage, but had a clean lane to swim so stayed there. Started to hear the crowds and announcer with about 4 buoys to go. Made it to knee deep and looked at watch with a 1:11:xx and was ok with that.

sun glare on the short across and the back in made it a bit tougher for sighting the buoys from a distance. bilateral breathing is a must for this venue to not have sun in eyes. also I had tinted goggles which helped some.

Also new suit felt good but after about 3/4 of swim shoulders felt tight in it.
What would you do differently?:

more swim training that focuses on increasing speed. For the last year + my stroke has felt off. But just 2 weeks ago felt like it was started to come back around. Need to continue to build on that during the off season. Also want to work on swimming in packs and feeling comfortable with the contact. Still really shy about being in the mix. Finally, used a new wetsuit and haven't swam in a full except at Utah. I would like to get this back around a 1:05 or less.
Transition 1
  • 07m 23s
Comments:

Out of water and right over to the wetsuit strippers, with no issues. This is a long transition run from swim exit to the transition tent. But it was red carpet lined the entire way. Took goggles and cap off while running. Had to run around a couple people walking but no real issues. Only thing that I think they can improve upon for this race is the transition bag setup. The bags for the women were on the side of the tent where the men changing area was and vice versa, which meant we had to cross each other to get to our respective area of the tent. Once in changing area a volunteer helped by dumping my bag and I went to drying feet and getting shoes on. Didn't feel like I took too much time but obviously there is room for improvement here. Ran out putting helmet and sunglasses on. Stopped for sunblock just outside of tent then ran to bike. No issues un-racking and running to mount line. Mount line was a bit crowded, so I ran past about 10ft and then mounted.

Practice is all I can say. I would like to get this down below a 6:45 for this course
Bike
  • 6h 19m 35s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a great course that offers some fast rollers, some false flats and then some decent climbs. I LOVE this course! I think I have room for improvement on this course.

First loop was fast and saw everyone except Amy. There was no real wind the first time out/back on 117 which was really nice. Passed by K on the way back from turnaround on 117 and chatted for a minute (nice to talk with a friend). Road conditions were great other then the section in Saint Jovite (man hole covers in the middle of the lanes). Kept power right where it needed to be and was very pleased going into the climbs on the last section of the loop. Made a much needed, rest stop just before starting the climbs (1.44 according to files). Caught up to Craig on the way back from the climb but he took off on some of the fast downhills. Re-passed him just before hitting the half way point. Stopped for 20secs at special needs and only took some nutrition. Second loop it started to warm up a bit and ended up pushing arm warmers down on Montee Ryan and then taking them off once I got to 117. Got a bit light headed around the 120K mile marker. I was on top of nutrition so not sure why this happened. So I did a gu at this point to make sure it was not a nutrition issue. Could have been or could have been the heat, not really sure. After gu and hitting the turn around on 117 started to feel better. But the wind had really crept up on this out and back so my speed dropped considerably. Need to work on pushing thru it in the wind and staying aero. I tend to come out of aero in cross winds, which I did quite a bit on this section. Powertap stopped working between 4:10 to after 5:15 of the ride. So I just went by feel. Started working again on last set of climbs, but not reliably as it was still occasionally reading 0s when I was climbing and other times reading more realistic of 180. Finally saw Amy as I was finishing up 117 for the second time and she was starting. Pretty uneventful through the rest of this loop. Came into the last set of climbs feeling great. definitely an indication that I could have pushed it a bit more. Happy to hand off bike at transition and start run into tent. Forgot to stop Garmin edge so had to wait until I uploaded files to look at moving times and data.

I took splits for each 28 mile section and the following are the times:
1. 1:25.54 moving time (no stops)
2. 1:34.19 moving time (stop was additional 1.44 for 1:36.03 total lap)
3. 1:36.39 moving time (stop was additional .20 for 1:37.01 total lap)
4. 1:40.12 moving time (not stops)

Shows me that I slowed throughout the ride. But when comparing the same sections per loop I slowed considerably between section 1 of loop 1 and loop 2. (10.45 moving time). Vs slow down of section 2 of loop 1 and loop 2 (5.53 moving time). Some things for me to work on and think about.

Nutrition plan was a 1,000 cal bottle of Gu Roctane divided up for entire ride, 3 packages of chomps (540 calls) and 2 gus (100 cals) -
total for ride was 1740 = 278 per hour. + 2 salt tabs every hour.

Started with 1 gu at 15mins into ride, then a chomp every 15mins. extra gu done at 120k point. mixed concentrate of roctane as I went with a bottle of water from each water stop. A couple of sips of water added in at each water stop before disguarding bottle.

Going to look at nutrition more over the next year to see if that was too much or too concentrated. Came off on run with some stomach cramping that went away in first 4 miles when I cut back on the carbs, only had water or ice and 1 gu.

more focused training. work more on increasing power. more race specific long rides. look at nutrition options. more balanced ride from loop to loop.

Don't get me wrong, I was pleased with this ride, but really feel like there is a lot of room for improvement here. I would like to get this down below 6 and closer to 5:45
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Handed off bike and ran to tent, taking off helmet and gloves. Got into tent, grabbed bag and made it into women's section. Changed shorts, sock and put on running shoes. Volunteer was great, putting on my second sock while I put on one and then putting on my race belt while I was putting shoes. Grabbed nutrition and visor and ran out of women's section of tent. Quick stop for sunblock on the back, arms and face then out onto course.

practice this to get a bit faster. would like to get this down to a 2:30.
Run
  • 4h 19m 20s
  • 26.22 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This course is pretty awesome also. I must say that it felt like time flew by on this course. Maybe it was because I wasn't concentrating on mile markers (everything in kilometers) or maybe it was how the course was divided up, but before I knew it I was finishing.

I started the run with some abdominal cramping so kept to just water and ice at aid stations until my first gu at mile 3.5. Then continued with limited water, more ice until finishing the first loop. I ran the entire first loop with no walking and kept it between 9-9:30 pace. On the trail out and back, It felt like my left big toe was broken as it had sharp pains in it. So I took some tylenol and continued on running. Toe started to feel a little better, but not great, as I was finishing loop. then I started feeling rough right before the special needs. Low energy rough around the edges. I did not want to stop but I started walking the hills.

Crowds were great on the initial hill out of town as they got me running again before the top of the hill. I want to note my Betty Design Kit that I wore for the race. It got more comments about the Betty Designs then any other kit I have ever worn. I love the way it looks and the limited chaffing I get with it.

The next big hill I did the run half way up and then walk the rest. Resumed running at the top. Then once I was on the flats I started a 8min run / 2 min walk route. After the first one I felt great and went past the 8mins thinking I could run longer. But as I got to 10mins I decided that I would do a 10min run / 2 min walk. This worked out great and I kept this up on the flats. I felt good doing this and I was able to pick the pace up when I was running and not loose too much time. switched to coke and bananas the second loop as I lost the desire to take in anymore gu products.

Ended up seeing everyone on the run and was in awe at how well everyone was doing. I actually did not see Sloan, Nate, Sarah and Bennett all day until the last 1/2 mile before the finish. But so happy to slap high-five and then make my way thru the village down the finish shoot. This finish is now my absolute favorite!

Nutrition: 3 Gus (miles 3.5, 8 and 12). Then I switched to coke (probably 4-5 small cups) and bananas (2 halfs). 2 Salt tabs every hour. 2 tylenol.

run the entire run. train more specific race pace and longer runs off bike. Nail down nutrition for bike and run, although not horrible, not quite right for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a chocolate milk and watermelon and sat down at a table for about 10mins. then walked around and found family. I grabbed my stuff and then walked bike back to the house, uphill, to shower and change. Ran/walked back down to finish to watch friends and family finish. Went back into athletes area when Amy and Craig finished to grab some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to train more at or above race pace. Long bike rides need to be more race pace specific. My run needs to be more focused on running off the bike and race pace specific. Also need to nail down a nutrition plan. These were all things I knew going into the race as this year was a build year and a year to enjoy training. I had a loose plan I followed and missed some work outs but was not stressed about it.

Event comments:

This venue and race are top notch. a bit confusing when you first get there, but once you are there and understand how the village is setup it is fabulous. Volunteers were super friendly and helpful. I will definitely be back... next year!

Last updated: 2013-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:27 | 4156 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/113
Overall: 750/2123
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4
Course: Note from website: Athletes will start the 2.4-mile (3.8 km) swim on the golden sands of the Beach & Tennis club located next to the charming village of Tremblant Resort. The swim in Lake Tremblant gives athletes a clear view of the sheltering mountains and the estimated water temperature on race day is 71 F / 22 C. The swim finishes at Parc Plage, 300 meters from T1. IRONMAN Mont-Tremblant will feature a wave start based on age group. There will be eight waves with each wave entering the water five minutes apart, starting at 6:25 a.m. My note: single loop, clockwise course. 13 buoys out, 2 buoys across and 13 buoys in. Swim enter and exit are at 2 different beaches separated by peninsula of land.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:23
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:19:35 | 112 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/113
Overall: 978/2123
Wind:
Course: Site note: the two-loop, 112-mile bike course runs largely through Mont-Tremblant’s forests and mountains with challenging elevation levels. Athletes will bike through The Montée Ryan and Chemin des Voyageurs, pass the Tremblant Resort as they make their way towards transition. My note: course is easily broken up into several sections: rollers out Montee Ryan, 14 mile out and 14 mile back of 117, the quick section in Saint Jovite, back Montee Ryan and then the climbs on Chemin Duplessis and back, all twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:19:20 | 26.22 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/113
Overall: 740/2123
Course: site description: The two-loop run course is known for its scenic beauty. Athletes will have the opportunity to run on the famous Le P’tit Train du Nord, a former railway bed that is now the longest linear park in Canada. The road will take runners past a waterfall, alongside beautiful Tremblant Lake and finally, back to the finish line in the Tremblant Resort. My notes: This is a 2 loop course with rolling hills for 3miles, nice packed, shaded trail for 3miles, turn around and come back (with only small little variations on the way back), then run up to special needs before heading thru the village to start the second loop. At this point of second loop you run down shoot to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-29 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

2013-08-30 1:57 AM
in reply to: #4842483

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant
Great job on your race.

We must've been pretty close at times...your run was quite a bit better ...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2565 Posts: 5

2012-08-28 6:44 AM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 7979 Posts: 48

2012-08-31 1:55 PM Socks

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rlejeune
Views: 3069 Posts: 7

2012-08-27 7:07 PM juniperjen

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rockymtnhigh
Views: 2570 Posts: 4

2012-08-21 6:42 PM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by axteraa
Views: 5096 Posts: 23

2013-01-02 7:46 PM justinfss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.