General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will this work as a tri suit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-29 3:08 PM

Subject: Will this work as a tri suit?
At 30% off $99.99 I think that's a good deal...would it work for a triathlon? Or is it just meant for biking...I don't think it describes the padding...???? Maybe too thick for swimming? THANKS!!

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/shop/mapmyride-womenskit-black

2013-08-29 3:12 PM
in reply to: skyblueclipse

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: Will this work as a tri suit?

sleeves?

Tank top style top is so much nicer.

As for the padding, I know my "bike" shorts padding would really sag out if I were to swim with them.

2013-08-29 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

It might work. 

A couple things to think about:

It has short sleeves, which might be hot.  What kind of weather do you expect at your races?

Bike padding doesn't seem like an issue for me.  I've done races in short, fitted running shorts, tri shorts, and cycling shorts (increasing padding, respectively), and I like them all.  Next season I'm planning on racing in Speedo bottoms.  Totally personal preference on that.

I think I'm very much in the minority here, but I would just offer that you don't "need" a tri kit.  You can always just race in shorts that you like now and a jersey, sports bra, swim suit or whatever.  The kit is a nice thing to have, but definitely not a necessity if cost is at all an issue.

2013-08-29 3:19 PM

User image

Pro
Personally, I wouldn't swim in full bike shorts, or want to swim or run in a bike jersey... and I wouldn't recommend it either.

Depending on your size, I've got a gently used tri kit (shorts with fleece chamois, sleeveless jersey) that I'd be willing to part with for cheaper than that. Let me know.
2013-08-29 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
This is a cycling kit. It is not intended for swimming and running - the chamois will soak up too much water and you'll feel like you have a wet diaper on.

You can get a two piece tri suit pretty cheap - look around Amazon.com
I would recommend a two piece as its easier for women to use the bathroom in them, and you can mix and match tops as conditions require.

Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Womens-Select-Shorts-X-Large/dp/B0091JK...

2013-08-29 3:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

2013-08-29 4:04 PM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by mgalanter This is a cycling kit. It is not intended for swimming and running - the chamois will soak up too much water and you'll feel like you have a wet diaper on. You can get a two piece tri suit pretty cheap - look around Amazon.com I would recommend a two piece as its easier for women to use the bathroom in them, and you can mix and match tops as conditions require. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Womens-Select-Shorts-X-Large/dp/B0091JK...

I did a HIM in PI Sugar Shorts and they didn't feel diaperish at all.

But I have some PI tri shorts I've worn once.  Not like.

2013-08-29 6:16 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by switch

It might work. 

A couple things to think about:

It has short sleeves, which might be hot.  What kind of weather do you expect at your races?

Bike padding doesn't seem like an issue for me.  I've done races in short, fitted running shorts, tri shorts, and cycling shorts (increasing padding, respectively), and I like them all.  Next season I'm planning on racing in Speedo bottoms.  Totally personal preference on that.

I think I'm very much in the minority here, but I would just offer that you don't "need" a tri kit.  You can always just race in shorts that you like now and a jersey, sports bra, swim suit or whatever.  The kit is a nice thing to have, but definitely not a necessity if cost is at all an issue.

Definitely agree with this. I think the general tendency is to get increasingly more specialized gear.

Will a bike kit work? Sure. Will spandex running shorts work? Sure. Will a regular swimming suit work? Sure. I have a pair of tri shorts that I use for training and racing.
2013-08-29 7:58 PM

User image

Pro

wonder how much those big pockets on the back of the shirt will open up during the swim and turn into a drag suit.

you'd be better off just wearing a swimsuit for the whole race.  

2013-08-30 7:11 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Don't buy this to wear in a triathlon, I have gotten 1 pc trisuits on sale for not much more than the retail price of either the shorts or the top. And that is less than the entry fee for a sprint. You are better off getting the real tri stuff (or do the whole event in a swimsuit). I like Orca and Zoot, but everyone has a preference.
2013-08-30 7:43 AM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by mgalanter This is a cycling kit. It is not intended for swimming and running - the chamois will soak up too much water and you'll feel like you have a wet diaper on. You can get a two piece tri suit pretty cheap - look around Amazon.com I would recommend a two piece as its easier for women to use the bathroom in them, and you can mix and match tops as conditions require. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Womens-Select-Shorts-X-Large/dp/B0091JK...

I'd also like to add that it would be illegal for a non-wetsuit swim per USAT's rules...

"Swimwear must not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, nor extend past the knees."

2013-08-30 9:04 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I'd also like to add that it would be illegal for a non-wetsuit swim per USAT's rules...

"Swimwear must not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, nor extend past the knees."

I'm pretty sure that's not a USAT rule, though I believe it is a rule in (all? most?) Ironman-branded races.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will this work as a tri suit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri suit or not tri suit?

Started by Maxwelltri
Views: 10853 Posts: 16

2012-01-11 5:32 AM Phillipians

Tri top/shorts vs. Tri suit Pages: 1 2

Started by VanCityJ
Views: 10454 Posts: 34

2008-03-25 9:25 AM runningwoof

tri suit for first tri?

Started by colemanford
Views: 1606 Posts: 16

2008-02-04 6:41 PM tag

tri-suit or no tri-suit?

Started by Ky_Soldier
Views: 1025 Posts: 4

2006-06-19 7:39 AM mndiver

tri suit vs tri short and tri top

Started by smileydc01
Views: 2419 Posts: 18

2006-06-19 6:20 AM suziq_623
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout