General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Non-Asthmatic Athletes Taking Albuterol to increase HR. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-30 12:36 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Non-Asthmatic Athletes Taking Albuterol to increase HR.
Guys

I am just surprised reading an article about athletes with healthy lungs taking "Albuterol to immediately increase HR"
reference below:
http://www.runnerslife.co.uk/support-team/medical/asthma-inhalers

I normally use Albuterol at work to treat Asthmatic Kids and Adults that are COPD or have Lung diseases. I understand the athletes desire to increase their HR immediately before the race taking advantage of the Beta receptor stimulation of Albuterol which causes bronchodilation,Increase HR and strength of contraction.

Albuterol is very accessible and cheap, any doctor can easily prescribe it to someone who complains of shortness of breath which could be any causes not necessarily airways constriction. I know its illegal to overdose Albuterol per USADA, but being an inhaled gas there's no residuals in the bloodstream it completely dissipates after usage,unless someone catches an athlete dumping alot of albuterol squirt bottles in a an aerosol mask. I doubt there's a test out there that can identify an athlete have just used inhaled Albuterol and confirms the dosage.

Im just surprise how a medicine used to treat Exercise Induce Asthma for athletes can similarly be used and abused by athletes with healthy lungs.

Edited by strykergt 2013-08-30 12:39 AM

2013-08-30 5:48 AM
in reply to: strykergt

Subject: RE: Non-Asthmatic Athletes Taking Albuterol to increase HR.
From the article:
"The researchers found that salbutamol, even in extremely high doses, DID NOT give elite athletes any performance boost. Indeed, there was absolutely no difference in lung function or endurance ability - as assessed by several measurements like VO2max, oxygen-uptake kinetics, peak power and lactate threshold - between the two groups on either the maximum effort or during the 75 percent intensity workouts."'

I used to use an inhaler for seasonal asthma (don't need it where I live now) and can't see how it would be of benefit to anyone who doesn't actually have asthma. It relaxes the bronchial tubes, it doesn't make them any bigger.
Didn't see anything in the article about increasing heart rate. This would be a negative thing, one of the goals of training is to have a low heart rate while doing increasingly harder efforts.
2013-08-30 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by strykergt  Im just surprise how a medicine used to treat Exercise Induce Asthma for athletes can similarly be used and abused by athletes with healthy lungs.

If you read the fine print, it's actually a banned substance in some sports requiring a doctor's note (don't know about USAT or USATF, but i've never provided anything for mine).  When I did bodybuilding I did sign a waiver declaring I took it because it would show up as a banned substance on drug screens, it is used for helping to cut weight (raises energy/intensity of workout).

2013-08-30 10:51 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I'd happily give someone my albuterol, but they would have to take my diseased lungs along with it and give me thier healthy ones.
2013-08-31 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
I don't think it gives me much of a "boost" or advantage but I know I can feel the differene when I don't use it! Growing up in a smokers house played havoc on me and I had bronchitis a lot as a kid. I don't have a problem normally but when I exert myself like running hard I feel like I have a cold afterwards with congestion, sneezing, coughing and it can last for a day or so!
2013-08-31 7:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by strykergt  Im just surprise how a medicine used to treat Exercise Induce Asthma for athletes can similarly be used and abused by athletes with healthy lungs.

If you read the fine print, it's actually a banned substance in some sports requiring a doctor's note (don't know about USAT or USATF, but i've never provided anything for mine).  When I did bodybuilding I did sign a waiver declaring I took it because it would show up as a banned substance on drug screens, it is used for helping to cut weight (raises energy/intensity of workout).

it used to be on the banned list requiring TUE not any more. removed from banned list

ETA - right from the article

"Starting in 2010, WADA lifted the ban on salbutamol, since research had yet to demonstrate that the drug enhances performance when taken as directed. The new doping rules simply state that all athletes must have a salbutamol level less than 1,000 nanograms per milliliter detectable in their urine sample when screened before competition, which shouldn't be a concern for athletes following the dosing guidelines of prescription inhalers."

Edited by TriToy 2013-08-31 7:45 PM

2013-09-01 3:27 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by LittleCat I'd happily give someone my albuterol, but they would have to take my diseased lungs along with it and give me thier healthy ones.

Ditto.  I wouldn't take albuterol if I didn't have to; I hate the way it makes me feel.

2013-09-01 9:32 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Pro
Houston
I worked the T2 tent at IMTX and watched most of the FOP females use an inhaler.
I doubt they all had asthma.
2013-09-01 10:07 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

This cracks me up.

1.) I don't know how it would shock anyone that competitors glom onto a perceived edge and take a medicine that wouldn't normally be prescribed.
2.) It also doesn't shock me that the perceived edge doesn't do diddly for them.

Two different quotes.

I forget who said the first one but it was a spokesman for the USADA 1.) Apparently, olympians have a rate of athletically induced asthma that's 10 times the rate of the general population. So, triathletes aren't the only ones huffing at their inhalers.

and 2.) In MLB in 2010 a full 10% of professional players had Therapeutic Use exemptions for Adderall. How many adults do you guys know that have a prescription for their ADD? Does 10% of the adult population suffer from ADD and need Adderall?

But, it's amusing.

2013-09-02 12:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by lakelandsledder

I don't think it gives me much of a "boost" or advantage but I know I can feel the differene when I don't use it! Growing up in a smokers house played havoc on me and I had bronchitis a lot as a kid. I don't have a problem normally but when I exert myself like running hard I feel like I have a cold afterwards with congestion, sneezing, coughing and it can last for a day or so!

I am
Sorry about your condition being a victim of second hand smoke, you could have cought early stages of emphysema, which could still complicate pneumonia or bronchitis, but your very healthy being an IM finisher. Honestly God gave us perfect lungs a person can live with only one.

Goodluck!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-09-02 12:27 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Non-Asthmatic Athletes Taking Albuterol to increase HR. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Can you increase your maximum HR?

Started by morey000
Views: 8470 Posts: 15

2010-09-02 10:46 PM morey000

Asthmatic resting HR

Started by mkarr0110
Views: 635 Posts: 1

2010-06-30 11:56 AM mkarr0110

moving from trainer to road- HR increase...

Started by ried0428
Views: 536 Posts: 3

2010-03-22 3:57 PM Experior

HR at LT increase/decrease question

Started by ohiost90
Views: 783 Posts: 4

2008-06-24 1:19 PM Rocket Man

Taking "non-essentials" to triathlon

Started by livestrange
Views: 985 Posts: 5

2008-05-20 2:15 PM brian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The goals of these treatments are to reduce the need for splints, braces, and anti-inflammatory medications while allowing the patient to continue in their activity of choice during treatment.

date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : December 11, 2007
comments : 0
I am trying to go from being 40 lbs. overweight, however, I keep having pain in my knees, ankle, or hip that stops me from exercising for several days - killing my momentum.

date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : January 29, 2006
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?