5430 Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 54s
Overall Rank = 81/1422
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/140
Pre-race routine:

Ryan and I stayed up in Boulder the night before the race. Woke up, made some weak ass coffee in the hotel room, ate my fail proof bagel/pb and a banana, vitamins, and a little water, and we were off. Well, I should amend that to say we were almost off, but Julia was riding to the race site with us, and had a little trouble dragging her ass out of bed in the morning, so we were pacing in the parking lot for a few minutes before she came down. On the hilarious side though, as we were packing up our bikes and transition bags some college kids with cases of beer under their arms and just rolling in to the hotel at 4:45 am asked if we had any rolling papers. I actually laughed out loud right in the guy's face, pointed at the bikes and race gear and said - "Yeah, we've got loads of rolling papers around, hang on just one second." I'm not the biggest fan of the redneck comedy tour, but the one bit where the guy does the "here's your sign" routine seemed apt at that moment.
Event warmup:

This was the best pre-race w/u I've ever done. Ran for 15 minutes with Mark, Ryan and Matt, including dynamic stretching, and 3 short pickups. Then got on the bikes for about 10 minutes to spin the legs and run through a couple of gear changes and practice one quick dismount. Then a short swim with 3 very short race efforts thrown in. Felt awesome when the race was ready to start. Ate one bag of sport beans 15 minutes before the swim start, drank some water, and was totally ready to go.
Swim
  • 24m 17s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was sort of just okay. I started a little too far right of the pack, and probably wasted some time and effort cutting back toward the course. Still, I was leading the swim for a couple of minutes, but as I cut over to the buoys I lost my lead and then just couldn't quite get to the feet of the leaders to hang on and draft. The rest of the swim was odd for me, because I'm a right side breather (so navigation was tough with buoys on the left), the sun was a major problem for me heading out, I felt like there were loads of slow swimmers in the water from the two waves ahead of us, and I just never hit my top end rhythm. Still, including the run up the beach, I was only 17 seconds slower than goal time, and as far as feeling strong and solid, that was all pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Not start so far right. At Nationals I didn't want to start at the front/middle of the pack, but at a race like BP I should be front and center, I can beat almost everyone there in the first 200 meters.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Pretty average transition. Now I need to practice leaving the shoes on the bike and running, jumping on and getting into the shoes while pedaling. It's time to get faster at this.

See above.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 28s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 22.54 mile/hr
Comments:

What a great ride for me. I was hoping to do 1:10, and feeling like that was probably too ambitious, but beat my goal by 32 seconds! I settled in well and early, hammered up Old Stage (the last part hurt, but I figured my legs would spin out and feel better on the way down), came down very fast, and hammered the hell out of the back side of the course. My legs felt awesome and I felt so strong on the bike. For (I think) the first time, I had a higher overall rank on the bike than the swim. Needless to say, I couldn't be happier about that ride.

I probably stood up just a bit too early on Old Stage. I would also consider an 11-27 cassette (do they make those?) next year, just to see if I could spin and sit the whole way up, go even faster on the back of the course, and still have something left for my legs on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Good T2 for me. That's probably about as fast as I can get through T2, so I was happy with that.

Nothing.
Run
  • 44m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough run. I really put it down on the bike so this was a painful 10K. I had some minor calf cramping in the first mile, but worked it out. Pace was probably a little too fast on the first mile at exactly 7:00. From there I felt decent until about 4.5, where I had tried to pick up the pace to negative split and discovered I was probably pushing too hard. How did I discover that? Oh, you know, just by suddenly having this little coughing/belching/half vomit in my mouth experience where I thought I was going to have to stop and yak in the ditch before I kept going. So I slowed it down a bit and pulled myself back together. Got on the heals of a guy with about .5 left to go and tried to draft him on the way in, but he lost me when he started his kick. Still, a damn good run for me, not quite as fast as Nationals, but only 8 seconds slower than goal time, and I felt strong and confident throughout.

I just need more running base. I can tell that at the end of an Oly my legs are starting to give on me. I think that's just training, muscular endurance, and experience, and next year I'll be faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, drink some water, and immediately head for the massage table.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really, just time and experience.

Event comments:

Overall, an awesome race. I set what I thought was an ambitious goal time and beat it. Top 10 in that field makes me very happy, and I'm proud of the way that I raced, handled pain, managed the course, and pushed. I left it all out there and I think the results speak for themselves.

Last updated: 2006-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:17 | 1500 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/140
Overall: 104/1422
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Rectangle (first leg into the sun).
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:28 | 26.1 miles | 22.54 mile/hr
Overall: 67/1422
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Wow. Difficult, fun and really cool course. I was hating it up Old Stage, and hammering on the back of the course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:08 | 06.21 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 159/1422
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat, couple of small risers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Boulder Peak

2006-07-24 12:47 PM
in reply to: #491212

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak
Really, what's to say other than you rocked that course! You've trained your off since December and it's nice to see it all coming together as you're peaking with Nationals and this race. Impressive, to say the least.
2006-07-24 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Good god man. Simply awesome race. I think you can see the podium from where you are...
2006-07-24 2:03 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
hat's off and a handshake to ya -- you should be feeling REALLY great about yourself! you've worked for it, you beat it and you still see room for improvement. RIGHT ON!
2006-07-24 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I think my chin is still store from hitting the ground when you told me what your time was after the race! I am so happy for you - top 10 at Boulder Peak is so incredible. Congratulations!
2006-07-24 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
You're a freakin' animal!

2006-07-24 2:48 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Well done, you earned it!
2006-07-24 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

You totally rocked this race!!  Way to out perform yourself.  I seem to recall someone the night before the race considering downing a 6 pack of beer and just so relaxed that he wasn't sure if he could hype himself up again so soon after Nationals...  Was that just an act??  I'm impressed and again SORRY I was late, but really, we wouldn't have gotten the laugh with the rolling papers guy in if I had been on time...  Find the sunny side

Thanks again for waiting and for all of the support.

2006-07-24 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Great race!!  You are smokin fast in all three disciplines!!

2006-07-24 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Great race man. Really fast.
2006-07-24 10:17 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

FAST FAST FAST!  Wow!

And I have a 27 on my bike...not sure if it's an 11-27...I'd have to go count...but my easy gear is a 27 and I have 10 on the cassette.  And I still had to stand most of Olde Stage.

2006-07-25 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
wow! you are smoking fast! 9th in this competitve age group? congrats!
I bet next year you can cut your run down by 3 or 4 minutes!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Rss Feed