General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the swimming equivalent of a marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-01 9:18 AM
in reply to: jimmycher

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: What is the swimming equivalent of a marathon?
Equivalents have to be based on your perception. It also will depend on how much effort you are exerting.
I did an "easy" 2.4 OWS without a wet suit. It took about an hour and a half, and for me, was way easier than a marathon (I have a running background).

Last spring I did a 50 mile trail run (very moderate pace with plenty of walking as my goal was just to finish!). A few years back I did a 12.5 trail run, the first six of which were up the Barr Trail on Pikes Peak. I felt a lot more "wrecked" after that run than after the 50 miler.

I would imagine that other folks would disagree based on their own perception, athletic backgrounds, etc.

2013-09-01 9:37 AM
in reply to: blbriley

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by blbriley
Originally posted by jimmycher Sounds like 10k is the number. When you do a 10k swim, do you ever take a brake and just elementary backstroke for a couple of minutes? or is it one long uninterrupted slog?
I did a couple short sessions of back stroke to keep my shoulders loose. I was accompanied by a kayaker, so I would tread water/breast stroke while I was handed my water and fuel bottles.

omiGOSH you scared me with that avatar! Then I remembered ... <3 (Sorry for the derail jimmy but to get back to the topic ) ...

I've swum a 10K race just to do it and I need to read back through the report but I'm pretty sure I did short spells of the other three competitive strokes, just to do them, for a break, stretch out. In OWS races it's usually also illegal to touch boats, kayaks, paddle boards or any non-swim-racer people, so I tread water to take on nutrition (sports drink).

I've swum a 10K race competitively and it was straight freestyle through. Couple strokes head-up to yell my race number to the guy on the nutrition boat so he could throw me a bottle, float on the back to gulp some, throw the bottle back and keep going.

Also, while a 10K swim is what's called a marathon swim and yes it's about equal to a land marathon in duration (at the top end), it's much, much easier on your body and quick recovery.

2013-09-02 7:38 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

thanks for the advice. i changed my profile pic to match my animal personality.
2013-09-02 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by pga_mike It used to be a 10k swim, but I'd say that a 5k swim is more of an accomplishment than a marathon run.

excuse me... but 5,000m is a typical swim workout for any competitive swimmer.  And OWS isn't really much harder (unless it's really rough).  Maybe 10K?

and before anyone asks.  cycling a century... even a pretty hilly one- is easier than a marathon.  

sorry I have to disagree.
I did a couple of 1 mile OWS (ocean) this summer. The one in Fire Island was BRUTAL. 7-10 foot seas and a strong current against us. there were also 2.5k and 5k divisions. Cannot even imagine how hard the longer distances were. Wet suit separate from the non wetsuit division.

and then the "easier" one I did off point lookout was also really wicked hard. and it did not look like it would be so bad.

now granted I am a guppie, so 1 mile seems long enough but I do pool workouts that are 3-4k this did not compare.

Edited by TriToy 2013-09-02 8:01 PM
2013-09-03 5:56 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Originally posted by pga_mike

It used to be a 10k swim, but I'd say that a 5k swim is more of an accomplishment than a marathon run.

Haha, what?
2013-09-03 6:30 AM
in reply to: pbreed

New user
Key West
Originally posted by pbreed

Nyad's Cuba to Florida swim she is trying again...

http://www.diananyad.com/blog

What an amazing feat! Okay, now what is the equivalent run to a 100 mile swim? Can anyone here run 53 hours?

2013-09-04 12:34 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
You all have inspired me.

I am going to find a 10k swim to do next year. Another surprise addition to my bucket list!
2013-09-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

Originally posted by pga_mike You all have inspired me. I am going to find a 10k swim to do next year. Another surprise addition to my bucket list!

Good for you Pro!  You'll have a blast.

2013-09-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: jimmycher

User image

10k is considered to be the Olympic Distance Marathon swim. The fastest men usually finish around an 1 hour 50 minutes and the women are closer to 2 hours or little above 2 hours.

"Marathon Swimming" is considered to start at 10k and then go all the way up to absolutely insane distances like the swim Diana Nyad just completed from Cuba to Florida.

For instance, the Triple Crown of Open Water swimming consists of the completion of the English Channel Swim, the Catalina Channel Swim and The MIMS - Manhattan Island Marathon Swim. Each of those swims are 20+ miles. There have been less than 100 people to complete the Triple Crown.

2013-09-04 2:40 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by topolina
Originally posted by pbreed Nyad's Cuba to Florida swim she is trying again... http://www.diananyad.com/blog
What an amazing feat! Okay, now what is the equivalent run to a 100 mile swim? Can anyone here run 53 hours?

We determined yesterday that using the rough proportions of an Ironman, if she were doing a triathlon would include a 5300 mile bike and a 1300 mile run.

2013-09-04 5:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by topolina

Originally posted by pbreed

Nyad's Cuba to Florida swim she is trying again...

http://www.diananyad.com/blog

There are ultrarunners who do crazy 2- and 3-day runs, but they get to stop and sit if they want. Even SLEEP. Try doing that in the water.

2013-09-04 5:23 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Top marathoners finish in just over 2 hours. Top 10 km swimmers finish in just under 2 hours. I'd say they're pretty close.
2013-09-11 11:45 AM
in reply to: b2run

Westchester County
Interesting thread. I think you guys may be missing some information on this. As someone said the true definition of a marathon swim is a 10K and the distances go up from there. However, there are so many variables between swims that the distance is not necessarily representative of effort or difficulty. There are factors such as tidal or current assist, water temperature, wind speed and wave heights that can greatly affect the difficulty of a swim. Add in English Channel rules on some swims and wetsuit or assisted swims on others and it is nearly impossible to compare one swim to another. The other factor that is huge in marathon swims, in particular the 20K+ swims is the mental aspect. It isn't easy keeping your focus and determination for 8+ hours in the water when most of the time it is just you and your thoughts. Add in the elements of fear, darkness, hunger, etc. it is mentally grueling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the swimming equivalent of a marathon? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swimming Equivalent of McMillan Running Calculator?

Started by mrpetey
Views: 5170 Posts: 22

2013-05-20 1:50 AM AdventureBear

What's the swimming equivalent of a century? Pages: 1 2

Started by chayes
Views: 5582 Posts: 42

2010-07-08 2:32 PM AdventureBear

Running to swimming/biking equivalent

Started by KarmannGhia
Views: 5602 Posts: 14

2009-07-14 10:44 AM johnrsims

Marathon Equivalent to "Becoming and Ironman"???

Started by cullyatt
Views: 1410 Posts: 6

2007-10-25 12:33 PM StartingToTri

Run to Swim Equivalent

Started by lexington476
Views: 544 Posts: 1

2005-07-16 9:43 AM lexington476
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!