Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Would you stop and help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Would you stop and help?
OptionResults
I'd stop51 Votes - [78.46%]
I'd keep going1 Votes - [1.54%]
I'd keep going but would tell next volunteer someone needed help12 Votes - [18.46%]
It's a RACE - need my PR1 Votes - [1.54%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2013-09-02 8:57 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Would you stop and help?

Originally posted by wwlani So the whole Yanti crashing on her bike multiple times during the course got me thinking (and we don't have all the details yet) but WHY didn't anyone stop and help her and/or make her (can one make Yanti do ANYTHING?) get medical attention? So, if it were you, IM or any distance race and you saw someone crash would you stop or just leave them on the side of the road to fend for themselves? You can pick only 1 option...

I have, and I would. If it's clear they stopped because they're busy with a mechanical, or there are volunteers/medics already there or rushing there in case of emergency, then no.

First crash was at Special Needs and there were two medics helping me when I came to. There was a language barrier but they let me continue when I could say my race number and name and I was able to get up.

Second crash was because saddle bag clasp had broken in 1st crash and fell into back wheel via the brakes. Stop for repairs and check equipment, couldn't get saddlebag to stay on by any means, abandoned it.

Third crash I don't remember, but I came to in some bushes at the bottom of a descent. Unless someone had seen me crash, they may not have seen me when they passed by. The course was all curves and corners--almost no straightaways and no long ones--so you couldn't really keep track of where other riders were because they'd disappear and also you had to be extremely focused on course. Horrible weather, steep switchback descents, low visibility.

It was also almost all in rural areas. Even the town is tiny. It really is nowhere.

This was also the first time in my life I've ever really listened to anybody regarding medical advice/attention. When I eventually got back from the hospital, my boyfriend (on Skype) put his foot down when I looked awful and wasn't making any sense and yelled that he'd been waiting for me for 45 years and he wasn't going to lose me now, so ... I went back. And I'm taking it easy now.

{MELON PRESS} Lani ... whether you need assistance or not.

More later as I and things become clearer.

2013-09-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by pga_mike Can I say "No" and still be a good guy? Mind you, I'm not saying that I wouldn't. I'm just asking if everyone would attack me if I said that I would ride to the next rest stop and alert them.

I generally keep moving and call out "are you ok?" Every time the person has said "yeah" and I've continued on.  Not really sure what I could do if they said "No please help me!" hand off a spare tube...and that's about it...so I guess we're in the same boat.  I don't carry a phone while racing, I don't carry lots of nutrition cause I race short course and live off the course...I'm an engineer not a doctor dammit...

I was thinking about this yesterday and even though I don't have medical training - if I were a witness to a crash (which was the original question) I'd think my account could be valuable, especially if another party (car, rider) was involved. If I rode off I'd probably never see them again and my eye witness account would be lost. I could also probably help put pressure on a wound to slow bleeding, call for another rider to get help, and help calm someone down without being a doctor or nurse. 

2013-09-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

At one race I saw someone asking "Anyone have a spare CO2?"

I stopped and gave him one of mine then got on and started riding again. Then realized he didn't know how to attach it to his inflator, it required threaded. So I inflated his tire for him, handed him the empty CO2 cartridge and went back to the ride.

For medical, it wouldn't even be a question. Worst case I can keep someone amused until medics show up.

(edit) If they were in pretty good shape, just couldn't keep going with the bike they had, I'd get back going and tell the next aid station someone needs help and approximately where they were.

Edited by DanielG 2013-09-02 9:36 AM
2013-09-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by pga_mike Can I say "No" and still be a good guy? Mind you, I'm not saying that I wouldn't. I'm just asking if everyone would attack me if I said that I would ride to the next rest stop and alert them.

I have no issue with you saying "no", because the question is too vague.  It doesn't specify enough about the situation.  If they are on their feet, and just appear a little scratched up, then I just slow and ask if they need help.  If they say "yes", I stop.  If they say "no", then keep going.  If they're lying on the ground in a pool of blood and not moving, and you're first on the scene, then IMO, not stopping is immoral.  There's a wide range of situations between the two extremes where it becomes more of a judgement call.

2013-09-02 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I would.  I stopped to give another racer a tube at my last 1/2.  I'd stop especially if they were down or hurt.

Even if you're not trained medically you know to use pressure to stop bleeding, and you should know CPR.  And sometimes just a compassionate caring look at their condition could be what is needed.  Your opinion could be a very good thing.  If you stopped and they were clearly out of it, and you could convince them to wait for medical help you could save their life.

edit to add ^^ Trymybest sums up the variations well.

Edited by jashac 2013-09-02 9:42 AM
2013-09-02 9:48 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
While I was a run Marshal volunteer for either IM WI 2011 or 2012, I asked a very visibly ailing runner coming towards me if he was okay and he said that he'd be fine. I kept checking on him until he was out of my sight. Less than 2 minutes later, somebody came running down (another volunteer or spectator) from where the guy collapsed to tell me that a runner was down and having problems. I ran up to where he was and noted it was the same guy. Two very helpful spectators and myself attended him as best as we could. What was great was that another racer, who was a doctor, did stop and help, too. He spent probably close to 10 minutes with us until the Police and then medical assistance arrived. I was quite pizzed that I couldn't get medical assistance quicker for this guy. He was shivering badly and throwing up from hypothermia and dehydration. The situation could've been much worse.

2013-09-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by lisac957
Originally posted by mehaner

I generally keep moving and call out "are you ok?" Every time the person has said "yeah" and I've continued on.  Not really sure what I could do if they said "No please help me!" hand off a spare tube...and that's about it...so I guess we're in the same boat.  I don't carry a phone while racing, I don't carry lots of nutrition cause I race short course and live off the course...I'm an engineer not a doctor dammit...

I was thinking about this yesterday and even though I don't have medical training - if I were a witness to a crash (which was the original question) I'd think my account could be valuable, especially if another party (car, rider) was involved. If I rode off I'd probably never see them again and my eye witness account would be lost. I could also probably help put pressure on a wound to slow bleeding, call for another rider to get help, and help calm someone down without being a doctor or nurse. 

but we banned compassion and fun at races

2013-09-02 10:58 AM

User image

hmm do they have on say a Duke shirt?
kidding, I'd stop and help or rather I'd stop but mostly get in the way but its the thought right?
2013-09-02 3:28 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by TriMyBest

I have no issue with you saying "no", because the question is too vague.  It doesn't specify enough about the situation.  If they are on their feet, and just appear a little scratched up, then I just slow and ask if they need help.  If they say "yes", I stop.  If they say "no", then keep going.  If they're lying on the ground in a pool of blood and not moving, and you're first on the scene, then IMO, not stopping is immoral.  There's a wide range of situations between the two extremes where it becomes more of a judgement call.

+1, exactly this
2013-09-02 3:32 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
My coach has always said that the BEST thing that you can do for an injured triathlete is to hustle to the next volunteer / bottle swap / whatever and have them get on the radio to get trained medical to the person ASAP. All that I could do is hold their hand.

By the way, if you see me injured on the side of the road, and you:
a) Don't have medical training
b) Don't have a way to call for help

Hustle your butt to someone who can get me a trained medical expert.

Thanks!
2013-09-02 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Helping isn't going to change my time much. Sometimes theirs either apparently.... And what's a couple more minutes on a DFL anyway?

I encountered a cyclist during a sprint sitting on the ground, dazed and bleeding from his forehead. A couple other racers sat down with him and knowing he was being attended to, I continued on the course looking for the next volunteer or cop. Didn't have to go far as it was in a residential neighborhood with lots of intersections being controlled. Not long after relaying the information to someone with a phone or radio, I saw a sheriff's department vehicle headed back that way with lights and siren on.

Saw the dude later. Apparently they cleaned him up a little, he got his bearings back and continued on. And, oh, he was finished already when I got there!

Yup. I'm slow. People wipe out, get hurt, bleed all over the place and then pass me again! Takes a lot to knock a triathlete out of a race! We're a stubborn bunch.

2013-09-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

My answer comes easy - 'what would God want me to do"
2013-09-02 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I would stop to make sure they were OK. If they were coherent and getting back on their bike, I wouldn't call for medical attention. If the person was passed out and not moving, I would tell someone to tell a volunteer to send medics, so I wouldn't have to leave them alone.

Edited by KSH 2013-09-02 8:59 PM
2013-09-02 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by pga_mike

My coach has always said that the BEST thing that you can do for an injured triathlete is to hustle to the next volunteer / bottle swap / whatever and have them get on the radio to get trained medical to the person ASAP. All that I could do is hold their hand.

By the way, if you see me injured on the side of the road, and you:
a) Don't have medical training
b) Don't have a way to call for help

Hustle your butt to someone who can get me a trained medical expert.

Thanks!

Good advice!

2013-09-02 10:14 PM
in reply to: blbriley

Veteran
Originally posted by blbriley

I have and I will. This is a hobby.

exactly. My best memory from a race was seeing a guy sitting on the side of the road waiting for the sag truck because he didn't have a tube or tire wrench. I stopped and gave him mine. later on the run, I saw him again. he gave my wheel wrench back and hugged me. it took two minutes of my time. it made the difference of finishing v not finishing to him
2013-09-03 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Several years ago my wife took a nasty spill on her bike during a practice ride. Broke her nose and both arms.
half a dozen people stopped and got a hold of me and an ambulance for her.
Gotta pay that kindness back.

2013-09-03 9:43 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Pro
Originally posted by sheesleeva

Originally posted by blbriley

I have and I will. This is a hobby.

exactly. My best memory from a race was seeing a guy sitting on the side of the road waiting for the sag truck because he didn't have a tube or tire wrench. I stopped and gave him mine. later on the run, I saw him again. he gave my wheel wrench back and hugged me. it took two minutes of my time. it made the difference of finishing v not finishing to him

I've had this happen to me too. Gave someone tire irons and a CO2. After the race I got all that back and a beer. It always pays to be nice.
2013-09-03 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I'd stop.

I've only come across this situation once and I didn't stop, but it was someone crashing (strong word) on the bike coming out of T1, so there was plenty of help.

2013-09-03 10:38 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Champion
PA

Stopping for some of you is much different than stopping for me.  I'm so slow that I really don't need to "stop" to fully assess the situation, perform CPR, attach a split, call for help, etc without affecting my time.

Ah the advantages of being a lumbering clyde.

2013-09-03 10:38 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

I have some first aid training so I would definitely stop unless there were emergency personnel on scene. If there are others there and they have it under control I would leave after assessing the situation...If not I would stay until emergency personnel arrive.
2013-09-03 10:46 AM
in reply to: k1200rsvt

User image

Pro

I'd stop, have before and will again, because I really couldn't care less about my race time....but I have no problem with the people who don't.... it's probably reasonable to assume they WILL get help. 

BTW, these threads always crack me up......there is nobody who said they wouldn't at least yell out to see if someone was ok.....but in real life, I've seen a lot of crashes where a lot of people rode by without doing or saying anything......I guess they haven't found BT yet. Laughing

2013-09-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by Pector55

Stopping for some of you is much different than stopping for me.  I'm so slow that I really don't need to "stop" to fully assess the situation, perform CPR, attach a split, call for help, etc without affecting my time.

Ah the advantages of being a lumbering clyde.

you can do CPR while moving?  wow!

2013-09-03 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I wouldn't stop and help because I was told that I am supposed to be racing.
2013-09-03 11:28 AM

User image

NC
Originally posted by tarmac52

My answer comes easy - 'what would God want me to do"

Well?

I've stopped. I was first one that rode up to a guy that didn't heed the "Slow down, sharp corner" screams of a well-placed volunteer. Guy overshot and ended up in a ditch near what might have been a barbed wire fence. I rode back to him and asked if he was ok. He was coherent but banged up and still laying on the ground. Told him I was going to get help. Rode back to the volunteer, they didn't have communications, but they told me there was a Sheriff's deputy up the road. So I rode back, screamed at the guy I was going to get help again. By they time I got to the deputy, he was heading back to the rider. So, someone else had been mindful enough to alert the deputy. Two gold stars.

So, in a similar situation, I would do it again. But, as mentioned, under less serious-looking circumstances, I might act differently.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-09-03 11:30 AM
2013-09-03 12:22 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by tarmac52 My answer comes easy - 'what would God want me to do"
Well? 

I wanted to respond to that earlier but it would be a thread hijacking and a noah's ark scale so i skipped it.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Would you stop and help? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Help me stop my smoke detectors!

Started by sungirl919
Views: 3481 Posts: 21

2012-05-17 12:07 AM Left Brain

Mole Man of Hackney is ordered to stop

Started by autumn
Views: 665 Posts: 7

2006-08-08 9:55 PM Lara

help me stop being pissssed off..

Started by Sharkie
Views: 912 Posts: 22

2006-07-28 8:25 PM foolproof

Google must be stopped! Pages: 1 2

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 4801 Posts: 47

2013-11-25 7:49 AM tuwood

world's longest non-stop mountain bike race

Started by autumn
Views: 880 Posts: 2

2005-07-16 8:39 PM So Fresh So Clean
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.