General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot issue - ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-31 10:24 PM

Veteran
Subject: foot issue - ideas?
so, since my beloved go to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. now i have a foot issue with my arch area. the foot actually feels like there is a blister on it, but nope, no blister, not even red, just feels like a blister. it is not really painful, but the feeling is ever present now at work, barefoot, all the time. I think it's probably due to the lack of arch support when I had been wearing "cushioning" shoes in the past. anyone else experience this switching to a minimalist shoe?

2013-09-01 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4844089

User image

Subject: RE: foot issue - ideas?
When you start with the shoes you're supposed to ease into them gradually with just a few miles per week at first and then build up. If you didn't do that, I'm not surprised if you have some tendinitis or irritation of the PF or other connective tissues.
2013-09-01 5:54 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Veteran
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

When you start with the shoes you're supposed to ease into them gradually with just a few miles per week at first and then build up. If you didn't do that, I'm not surprised if you have some tendinitis or irritation of the PF or other connective tissues.

Does that mean you'd be surprised if I said I did ease into them? :-)
2013-09-01 6:28 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Originally posted by sheesleeva

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Does that mean you'd be surprised if I said I did ease into them? :-)

It sounded like you just switched shoes.

If you've only used them a bit and are still getting the discomfort, then back off until it goes away. The arch pain CAN lead to something worse, so be careful..... Also you can try stretching it out by rolling your foot over a golf ball to massage the arch and PF.
2013-09-01 8:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Welcome to the "I've been wearing trainers most of my life and bought barefoot shoes because I thought they would help me fix my form and prevent injury only now they're injuring me" club, of which I am not the only member, not by a long stretch. In fact, while I'm sure there are barefoot runners who did not start out with bruises and tendonitis, pretty much everyone I know who switched to minimals went through a nasty injury period.

For anyone who has been running for more than 5 years and is thinking about trying minimalist shoes, I would give this advice. When you think you are easing into barefoot running, you are not. Go way slower than you think you need to. Also, read as much as you can about good running form or consult a coach/sports doc for a gait analysis -before- you lace up your vibrams. I know the bio-feedback from your feet pounding the ground is supposed to fix your form but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Overstriders can respond to the pounding by landing higher on their toes, letting the arch, achilles tendon, and the calf muscle take a beating, while continuing to overstride. I regularly tore the crap out of my calves before I figured this out.

I still love my Trail Roc 150s, but more to mix things up than as the panacea to all running woes that some would claim for the minimals. I try to put the majority of miles in my boring old trainers, do some fast trail or grass workouts in my 150s, and give plenty of time for my feet to recover.

For the time being, freeze a coke bottle of water and roll the crap out of your arch/heel, and stretch everything on the backside of your leg from glutes all the way down to calves way more than you think you need to, especially right when you get out of bed.

I love my minimals, but there is a Zappos outlet store near my town that is always full of minimalist shoes (and usually 1-2 pairs of Hokas) that people have returned. Good luck, and go easy.

Edited by Batcheldor 2013-09-01 8:51 PM
2013-09-01 9:36 PM
in reply to: Batcheldor

User image

I'm just not sold on minimalist shoes. There are so many great shoes out there with a variety of drops, support, cushioning, etc... that you can have your form and your comfort both. I don't see any elite marathoners wearing them and those guys weigh 130lbs at the start of the race - probably 125 by the end.

I wear very low drop shoes 0-4mm but that doesn't mean I want to feel every pebble on every step dig into my foot. They still have cushion.

If you're a true bad-a$$ then you don't need shoes at all.

Like this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dppdcy1pyM

2013-09-02 6:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Batcheldor
For anyone who has been running for more than 5 years and is thinking about trying minimalist shoes, I would give this advice. When you think you are easing into barefoot running, you are not. Go way slower than you think you need to. Also, read as much as you can about good running form or consult a coach/sports doc for a gait analysis -before- you lace up your vibrams. I know the bio-feedback from your feet pounding the ground is supposed to fix your form but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Overstriders can respond to the pounding by landing higher on their toes, letting the arch, achilles tendon, and the calf muscle take a beating, while continuing to overstride. I regularly tore the crap out of my calves before I figured this out.

This is pretty good advice. I would also suggest wearing minimal-type shoes (or going barefoot) as much as possible and doing exercises to strengthen your foot and leg muscles, which are actually good for any runner regardless of footwear preference.

A lot of people ease into minimal shoes by running a mile or two a week in them but spend the other 99% of their lives wearing the same heavily cushioned, supportive shoes (running shoes, dress shoes, casual shoes, etc) they've always worn. You don't necessarily have to ditch all of your old shoes right away (but you'll eventually want to ) --just go for a daily walk in minimal shoes, wear them to the grocery store, the mall, running errands, etc. Go barefoot around the house.

Also, a lot of people think that minimal shoes are all alike and don't think it matters which ones they choose. But there's a lot of difference between the Saucony Kinvara (which I really wouldn't call minimal, but some people do) and Vibram FiveFingers. Just because one doesn't work for you doesn't mean you can't find something that does.
2013-09-03 3:52 AM
in reply to: #4844089

davenport, iowa
I tried the minimalist thing. I WANTED to like it, but it just wasn't going to happen. I ran two easy miles in my vibram five fingers bikilas and then could barely walk the rest of the week. So the next week I only ran a half mile. Every other day. Then I realized in order to adjust to these type of shoes I would have to give back a ton of the fitness I had built up due to the extremely low mileage being run for a month or so. So I said screw it. I've worn them like three times. My two cents.
2013-09-03 9:15 AM

User image

Originally posted by Batcheldor

Welcome to the "I've been wearing trainers most of my life and bought barefoot shoes because I thought they would help me fix my form and prevent injury only now they're injuring me" club, of which I am not the only member, not by a long stretch. In fact, while I'm sure there are barefoot runners who did not start out with bruises and tendonitis, pretty much everyone I know who switched to minimals went through a nasty injury period.

I still love my Trail Roc 150s, but more to mix things up than as the panacea to all running woes that some would claim for the minimals. I try to put the majority of miles in my boring old trainers, do some fast trail or grass workouts in my 150s, and give plenty of time for my feet to recover.

For the time being, freeze a coke bottle of water and roll the crap out of your arch/heel, and stretch everything on the backside of your leg from glutes all the way down to calves way more than you think you need to, especially right when you get out of bed.

I love my minimals, but there is a Zappos outlet store near my town that is always full of minimalist shoes (and usually 1-2 pairs of Hokas) that people have returned. Good luck, and go easy.

X2
I'm in that club!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot issue - ideas? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Issue with Feet/Kick Pages: 1 2

Started by datlas
Views: 3267 Posts: 35

2012-04-14 5:57 PM strikyr

good idea, bad idea - re: bike

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 1075 Posts: 8

2011-03-08 1:44 PM Indiana_Geoff

Is this a good idea? Pain in foot

Started by Kermat89
Views: 1482 Posts: 13

2011-02-19 6:25 PM trigal38

Ideas for keeping feet warm during cold rides?

Started by misha1809
Views: 1316 Posts: 13

2011-02-17 7:42 PM mdougc

1st timers wave (good idea or bad idea?)

Started by triguy2004
Views: 1364 Posts: 11

2008-09-26 5:04 PM evondo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : September 16, 2010
comments : 1
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?
date : August 24, 2009
comments : 0
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.