3 Rivers Road Runners
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 14s
Overall Rank = 142/172
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Started the day before when I spent the day trying to save my feet and back at the local theme park. Got to bed about 10:30, up at 4:00 to grab my (mostly) pre-packed stuff, have a quick cup of coffee, mix up my drinks, and head out the door by 5:00 to pick up my favorite training partner for the drive. Drank a soy latte (hooray for Starbuck's being open!) a bottle of perpetuem and ate half a PB bagel on the way.
Event warmup:

This race is point to point to point... sign in at the swim start, drive down the road to drop off bike and T1 gear, drive back up the road past the swim start to drop run gear, then back to swim start and find a parking spot. I know what kind of day it was going to be when the guy handed me my packet and told me to verify my age... my age wasn't on there. I stared and stared at my name, t-shirt size and BIRTHDAY, but couldn't find my age. Sigh. yup, it's going to be THAT kind of day. Ah well, good for some chuckles. Was running a bit late and cutting it a bit close (thank heavens we'd done this before and kind of knew what to do!) After a quick POP stop, my watch said 5 minutes to start when the gun went off. THEN I put on my wetsuit, waded into the water and got started about 2 minutes behind everyone else... except my brother, of course, who was right with me... The guy who was officiating was more worried about us being late than we were I think. That was all just a long way of saying "no warmup." Reading the results, the official start time was 8:57, so I really would have made it if it had started at 9.
Swim
  • 23m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Downriver swim...what's not to like? This was a great, easy swim for me. Caught just a few people and was at the end before I knew it. Swam over some of the healthiest looking river weeds I've ever seen! Luckily, they were all below me where I couldn't touch them. Felt great getting out of the water. Turned around to make sure my brother was there - he was - then walked up to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

Be earlier so I would have actually made the start...
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Just took this really easy. Looked for my brother - he used to have a really unique stroke that was easy to spot. Then walked up the hill struggling with my suit. Not only did it stick to my ankles, but it also stuck to my arms so I felt like I was trying to get out of a straightjacket. Bike stuff went on easy, carried my bike over the grass and goatshead (or whatever those flat-inducing pricklies are called) and got on.

Nothing. It was slow, but I wasn't hurrying.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 58s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.28 km/hr
Comments:

I really like this ride. It is always challenging with some good climbs and some nice downhills. I haven't ridden this far very many times this year - maybe twice - so I was a bit worried. I went into it knowing I was not in my best condition so I just rode comfortably. I rode a little harder in places, and took it easy in others. Twice my back cramped all up - owie owie owie - but as always, it eventually went away. Stood up slowly at the end, but was fine. One of my favorite things was getting passed by a 12-year-old on his MTB on the first few uphills. He was doing great!

Nothing on this day - had a great ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

This is a great transition. Bike catchers are there elbowing each other out of the way to take your bike, they take it to rack it while another volunteer hands you your run bag. They have chairs to sit in to change shoes and yet another volunteer to help you and repack your bike stuff, which then goes with your bike.

Nothing - again, easy does it was the mantra of the day. I was happy with this Transition too.
Run
  • 1h 06m 11s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 37s  min/km
Comments:

Well, just trotted along. Passed a few people and got passed by a few (or a lot) more. Had a better-than-expected run. Walked at all three aid stations, and only once more when my foot said to. Everything hung together pretty well - hips, foot, breathing. I was a bit surprised. Got hot and thirsty the last mile or so - seemed like a long way from the last aid station to the finish. Uphill finish is always a killer, but I made it.

Nothing, I ran within my abilities today and finished feeling good. Can't ask for more than that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked up the stairs to get a bottle of cold water, and walked back down the course a little way to run in with my brother. Walked around a bit, talked with some TeamBlaze people - some I knew and some I got to meet at this race - packed up and drove home. Had had a brainstorm after how many years of racing? Put my transition pack in the bag that my wetsuit went in after the swim. Got to pack all my stuff in a backpack to ride back to the car instead of trying to balance two big heavy plastic bags on my bike...WAY easier!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much training, extra weight. I was thrilled with my time given the state of my training. I've been trying to fix my run gait and my foot for several months, so have been doing run/walk and shorter runs.

Event comments:

I will definitely do this race again. It has a fairly low entry fee, and as such doesn't have a lot of frills. Nothing but water on the run course, nothing but water at the finish. The volunteers and traffic control wereGREAT this year, better than other times I've done it.

I had a great time.

Last updated: 2013-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:54 | 1500 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 160/172
Performance: Good
Suit: LS
Course: Downriver swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:17
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:27:58 | 40 kms | 27.28 km/hr
Overall: 126/172
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:06:11 | 10 kms | 06m 37s  min/km
Overall: 140/172
Kept in Z1-Z2 most of the way.
Course: Out and back course along the river. Pretty, but hot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-01 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: Titanium Man Triathlon

2013-09-02 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4844264

User image

Spokane
Subject: RE: Titanium Man Triathlon
Way to go out there!!  Thanks for the water!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Titanium Man Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Titanium Man Triathlon

Started by racinmason
Views: 1425 Posts: 2

2007-09-02 1:31 PM c_cic

Titanium Man Triathlon

Started by c_cic
Views: 1660 Posts: 4

2007-09-04 3:51 PM zed707

Titanium Man Triathlon

Started by irongirl1976
Views: 1191 Posts: 1

2006-12-22 12:54 PM irongirl1976

Titanium Man Triathlon

Started by c_cic
Views: 1542 Posts: 2

2006-09-12 6:37 PM racinmason

Titanium Man Triathlon

Started by racinmason
Views: 1271 Posts: 3

2006-09-07 8:01 AM getsome
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.
date : May 30, 2005
author : infosteward
All you have to do is say you’re a triathlete and you intimidate the whole world. No matter how much you bench press or what you lift or how many squats you can do.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 0
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.