General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Team Skinny Sept. 2013... Time to start fresh for fall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-09-25 8:19 AM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

Regular
Maryland
Subject: RE: Team Skinny Sept. 2013... Time to start fresh for fall
Originally posted by jrensink78

Sept 1- 201

Sept 11- 199

Sept 18 - 197

Sept 25 - 195

Sept goal- 195

Hit my monthly goal with 5 days to spare.  That's encouraging as I haven't been super disciplined these past few weeks.

Nice work

2013-09-25 9:23 AM
in reply to: Shermbelle

User image

218 this morning, really going to pull something together this week, Having a really bad habit for breakfast.

This weekends plans include two runs and two rides. Eating out at a company dinner Thursday night, then everything else is homemade. GOT TO WATCH MY PORTIONS. Serve myself only what I need to eat, not what I can eat.

Glad to see the results from everyone else. Keep it up.

J

2013-09-25 1:46 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
229.5 this morning. really struggling right now, trying to lay off running for a while to see if my PF will settle down?

strength training just doesn't burn as many calories...I guess that means I need to eat less
2013-09-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Originally posted by Mountaindan

229.5 this morning. really struggling right now, trying to lay off running for a while to see if my PF will settle down?

strength training just doesn't burn as many calories...I guess that means I need to eat less

I believe I am having my first bout with PF, trying to cycle more, Really hurts in the morning. Other than not running any other suggestions.

How long will it take, I am just starting a marathon training series and we are amping up the mileage weekly. Do think one week off? or should I expect longer.

But keep moving forward, and look forward to getting well.

John
2013-09-25 8:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

9/04 - 187.6

9/11 - 186.2

9/25 - 189.0

Ouch.

Been back on track the past 3 days since my 10 days of traveling, overeating, and lots of beer.  It sure was fun though, even though it was a work conference, I had a decent amount of free time.  It might have been a needed break, finished my last triathlon of the season just before I left.  Lets hope next week moves in the right direction.  Back on track with MFP, it really helped me those first two weeks I used it. 

Edited by Justin86 2013-09-25 8:17 PM
2013-09-26 12:34 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Is anyone else in this group doing low carb?

I switched from low calorie for a few reasons. Low calorie just left me HANGRY! Depleated, low energy, headache, emotional. With low carb at least I can get full, which eliminates the other issues. Plus my boyfriend is doing it with success and it's nice to be in it with someone else you spend a lot of time with.

I did low carb about 10 years ago with success, but I can't remember what I ate for variety. I need to go to some recipe web sites, but does anyone have any go-to favorites? I've been eating at Atkins bar for breakfast and salad for lunch every day... looking for dinner suggestions. My favs so far are:

Eggs, sausage and cheese omelet
Jambalaya stew (chicken, shrimp, sausage, veggies, tomato sauce base
Grilled salmon and veggies 
Next experiment will be a pizza casserole: veggies, sausage, pepperoni, cheese - layered and baked 

2013-09-26 12:57 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

9/12 - 188.8   

9/19 - 189.8 -

9/26 - 191   c'mon man!

2013-09-26 1:06 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by johndiaz00

Originally posted by Mountaindan

I believe I am having my first bout with PF, trying to cycle more, Really hurts in the morning. Other than not running any other suggestions.

How long will it take, I am just starting a marathon training series and we are amping up the mileage weekly. Do think one week off? or should I expect longer.

But keep moving forward, and look forward to getting well.

John

I've been fighting mine for quite some time, of course I have yet to really give it a rest. I can't say on how long, I know people who have laid off running for months with out relief. One thing that I found that helps me is rolling a golf ball under my foot in the area that hurts and putting as much pressure on it as I can take. I would look on the injury thread I'm sure there is an abundance of info there that is a lot more reliable than mine.
Good luck though!
I am learning to love pain the older I get and the more aches and pains I have, well at least that's what I try to tell myself.
2013-09-26 1:18 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

YES, my PF seems to alleviate greatly when i do the golf ball trick. I also am icing right after runs or walks. I have a 8 miler planned this weekend we will see how it holds up. It is not stopping me when i run, Just the after effects leave me in a pretty good amount of pain. So here's to getting older, I am looking forward to it.

2013-09-26 2:23 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

I switched from low calorie for a few reasons. Low calorie just left me HANGRY! Depleated, low energy, headache, emotional. With low carb at least I can get full, which eliminates the other issues. Plus my boyfriend is doing it with success and it's nice to be in it with someone else you spend a lot of time with.

I did low carb about 10 years ago with success, but I can't remember what I ate for variety. I need to go to some recipe web sites, but does anyone have any go-to favorites? I've been eating at Atkins bar for breakfast and salad for lunch every day... looking for dinner suggestions. My favs so far are:

Next experiment will be a pizza casserole: veggies, sausage, pepperoni, cheese - layered and baked 

I'm not a dietary expert by any means, but I've been reading the "Racing Weight" book by Matt Fitzgerald and his thought on the macro-nutrient needs of endurance athletes is that carbs should be your main calorie source as that's our primary fuel.  A low carb approach will reduce your capacity for longer or more intense training sessions, reducing your long term gains of fitness and results.

I've gone through the whole book and it seems good.  It's mainly based off what has worked for top endurance athletes across many disciplines.  There's also a section about weight-loss quick starts that I'll hopefully be putting into practice starting next week.  That would be a period of time where you are more focused on losing weight faster while sacrificing how quickly your fitness levels are increasing.

2013-09-26 4:12 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
I might need to get on board with Team Skinny in October.

I've been pretty lethargic since IMLOU for a number of reasons:
1. I've made a deliberate effort to re-engage with my friends. I'm generally an extremely social person, and I feel like IM training took over my life and I disappeared from a lot of peoples radars. Need to fix that.
2. llness has sidelined me for the past 2 weeks

I'm looking for a happy medium of working out, eating well, and still being the social butterfly (or social bison, as my ex-wife would label me) I always have been.

Would love to lose 15lb's next month (currently 220), before the onslaught of T'giving and the festive season.

2013-09-26 4:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by jrensink78

I'm not a dietary expert by any means, but I've been reading the "Racing Weight" book by Matt Fitzgerald and his thought on the macro-nutrient needs of endurance athletes is that carbs should be your main calorie source as that's our primary fuel.  A low carb approach will reduce your capacity for longer or more intense training sessions, reducing your long term gains of fitness and results.

Oh I wasn't really looking for a low-carb debate... lots of folks are successful on this type of diet while still doing endurance training and races. In fact my 20-mile run Saturday was the best run I've had in months, 3-4 days after I started low carb . I did eat oatmeal prior to the run and ate GUs and Sports Beans during - I know I need carbs on a long training/race day for sure.

2013-09-26 6:01 PM

Veteran
Heeeyyy! lost 2 lbs this week after losing none the last 2. (sarcasm) Dietary options are killing me.(I know, I choose them)
2013-09-27 9:02 AM
in reply to: crlarner

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
I've had PF in the past. The thing that helped me the most was wearing a Strassburg sock at night, which lengthens the plantar fascia as it heals during the night, then it's not tight in the morning. I also used a wooden foot roller to massage out my foot whenever it felt tight. I am completely PF free now. I walk barefoot in the house, I wear unsupportive flip-flops, I Irish Dance at least once a week. The key is to rest, and then stretch that plantar fascia back out and STRENGTHEN it.
2013-09-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: maura9900

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Net loss for the month but it was up and down!

9/6 - 132.8 
9/13 - 134.6
9/20 - 133.4
9/27 - 132.0

2013-09-30 10:28 AM

User image

219 Net loss of 3 for the month.

This month is ending too quickly. It seems just like yesterday I did the Dumbo Dare at Disney, and now it's October. Two thing about this month I am especially happy about. First, I quit Sodas/Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi. I really cannot say much about it other than it was more of a habit than a real craving. I know I need to get about 2 to 3 more weeks before I can really considered the habit broken, But I am on a very nice start. Secondly, I lost 3 lbs. Not the 7 I wanted but it is under 220, and I am still working towards my goal of under 200. I have two new training partners, and the group here and on myfitnesspal.com are great encouragement.

I will continue to post articles on MFP, and look forward to continuing posting there. I may not comment on everyone's post daily, but I can tell you when I see you post successes i am greatly encouraged.

Looking forward to October!!!!!!!

2013-09-30 12:07 PM
in reply to: Viyoung

User image

Regular
Maryland
9/4 175
9/11 170.5
9/18 168.5
9/25 168.5
9/30 166

So I started the month off at 175 and have lost 9 lbs. so far. I'm on the Medifast 5 and 1 plan, realizing that this is not a long-term solution. Have just been trying to get these last 20 pounds off for 3 years now and nothing else has worked. I struggled with hunger pangs in the beginning, but ketosis has kicked in and I'm burning fat. Have been keeping up a moderate training schedule, realizing that I won't have the power that I would have if I was fueling as if in race season.

I have noted, however, that I've been able to run faster and swim with greater endurance, even with this moderate weight loss. Overall, feeling pretty good. Not strictly on the plan, since I usually end the day with a glass or two of red wine and dinner. This indulgence is keeping me sane so far.
2013-09-30 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland

If you like pizza, there's a cauliflower crust recipe out there that's supposed to be really good. Haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting.

http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/01/cauliflower-pizza-cr...

there are lots of others, if you just Google cauliflower pizza crust
2013-09-30 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

I'm doing a modified low-carb paleo approach - aiming for ~100g of carbs per day and I haven't decided whether I'm going to deduct fiber or not (we'll see how it goes). I'm also playing with the idea of not counting carbs taken in for fuel on rides/run (again, we'll see how that goes), but since I'm solidly in the offseason now, I won't need to fuel like I did during IM training.

I know from past experience that my body just doesn't like carbs when it comes to weight loss. Ultimately, it's all about creating a caloric deficit and it is MUCH easier for me to do that when I lower the carbs vs just trying to hit a calorie goal - lower carbs means more protein & fat, both of which keep me feeling full for longer for the same amount of calories.

I've been doing soft boiled eggs with a big tupperware of roasted veggies for breakfast. Easy to make ahead!
2013-09-30 2:53 PM
in reply to: Viyoung

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Viyoung If you like pizza, there's a cauliflower crust recipe out there that's supposed to be really good. Haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting. http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/01/cauliflower-pizza-cr... there are lots of others, if you just Google cauliflower pizza crust

Aaah I love alternative pizza crusts! Have tried some of the cauliflower ones and they are not my style, I should re-visit them though.

This one is my favorite but trying to stay away from both almond meal and starches for a bit.
Made this one over the weekend. It was okay - pretty eggy but okay with pizza sauce and cheese on it. 

2013-09-30 10:10 PM

Champion
No excuses!
That is it for September peeps, hope it went well for the group.

On to October, hopefully more will continue to join us!

2013-10-01 9:43 AM

User image

Finished off the month still at my goal weight for September.

Sept 1- 201

Sept 11- 199

Sept 18 - 197

Sept 25 - 195

Sept 30 - 195

Sept goal- 195

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Team Skinny Sept. 2013... Time to start fresh for fall Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Team Skinny August 2013...Dog Days of Summer! Pages: 1 2

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 5662 Posts: 43

2013-09-05 11:02 AM johndiaz00

Team Skinny June 2013...Summer is upon us! Pages: 1 2

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 6375 Posts: 43

2013-07-01 12:29 AM Shermbelle

Team Skinny... May 2013- Back from near death Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 10710 Posts: 96

2013-06-13 3:24 PM Justin86

Team Skinny...Fresh Start Jan. 2011 Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 9682 Posts: 84

2011-02-08 10:21 AM cooperman985

Team Skinny - Back to School (Sept 08) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by saling4
Views: 18658 Posts: 522

2008-09-30 3:35 PM saling4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Although you cannot change your genetics and your tendency to fidget, you can boost your calorie intake. Here are five tips to help you bulk-up healthfully.

date : November 4, 2008
author : mrakes1
Here is a great recipe to make a healthy pizza fit for a triathlete using thin crust, hummus, fresh vegetables, tomato sauce, lean meat and mozzarella cheese.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.