General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
Hy-Vee Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 23s
Overall Rank = 122/596
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/38
Pre-race routine:

The Hy Vee Triathlon is one of my most favorite events I get to participate in. My performance in 2012 provided me the opportunity to compete in the US 5150 Championships this year.

Stacey and the boys traveled with me this year. We went to Des Moines on Friday PM so that we could get Ryan registered for Ironkids Championship. His race was scheduled for Saturday AM. I think the air temp at their race was in the upper 80s/lower 90s. Ryan did as good as he could have expected considering he would rather watch TV and play video games then spend any time training. He wants a road bike so we will see if that will happen......

Anyways, back to me!!!

After Ironkids we went to the Hy Vee hall, hit the required meeting, packet pickup, Expo, and then back to Hotel Fort Des Moines. The Hotel is still an old hotel. It's classy in some cases, but generally, its old and beat up. Probably won't stay there next time but it is really close to the race site and Hy Vee Hall.

After registration I met up with Randy at Grey's lake. We rode the run course, checked our bikes in and I ran for a little while. It was still sooooooo frcikin hot out. The running route trail was burning hot. Headed back to the hotel, got a little R&R then met up with Diane (and her family) Randy, Eric, and Ben for some dinner at Chuck's.

In bed by 9:00 and I think I was asleep by 9:15. Got in a solid 5 hours of good sleep before the tossing and turning started.

Alarm off at 4:00 AM. Packed up the whole family and we were on our way to transition by 5:00. It was a monsoon of a rain storm as we arrived to Grey's Lake. The radar looked like things would blow over in about 45 minutes. We waited it out in the car for 30 minutes following Hy Vee Tri's Twitter feed.

RD delayed the start of the race and closing of transition by 45 minutes which worked out perfectly. Storms gone. Sun came out. Turned into a beautiful race morning. Set up transition. Helped Randy and Diane out a bit and went into warmup mode.
Event warmup:

Ran for about 15 minutes. Stretched out quite a bit. Did some dynamic stretches and then headed over to the other side of the lake where the swim start was. This was a great idea by the way. Last year, the swim start and exit were right next to each other and it was a major cluster fck. This year, soooo much better.

Walked the 1/2 mile to the swim start, did some more stretching, and got into the water a couple of times for some swim warm up. We got to see the pros take off on the swim and that was about it. They would basically be off the course before we were out of the water. I liked being able to watch the pros race last year, so it was a bummer that we couldn't watch them this year.
Swim
  • 25m 24s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Ran into the water with the entire group of 30-39 5150 Athletes. I was in the front row and had a nice run and dive in. Shit, water filled my left goggle. Ignored it for a while but had to stop swimming to empty my goggles. Probably cost me a few seconds. Oh well.

There was some bumping and kicking but not too bad. I felt good in the water but it felt slow. Caught a handful of the guys in the wave in front of me. Couple passed me from the wave behind as well. One guy in our wave took off like a bat out of hell. He was fast!!!

Overall, swim was a good swim and I'm happy with my performance in my first OWS race without a wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Not let my goggles fill up with water on the dive start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Decent T1. It's a long run from the swim exit to transition and then to where my bike was. No problems in transition at all. I was really happy to see so many bikes still on the rack too.

The mount line is out on the road by quite a ways. I was on my bike fast. Got my first foot in easily and had troubles with my left foot. Once in, I was off and riding.

Not much. Good transition.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 4s
  • 40 kms
  • 37.46 km/hr
Comments:

This was a fun / fast / crazy ride. We started off going along the north side of the lake. Turned north and then East onto MLK. for a mile or so before another turnaround. (Several turns on this course). Came back over on Fleur drive and then into Water works park. The Park's surface was smooth glass and fast. There were 6 of us in the same pack passing each other. Trying to avoid any drafting, but it was close. I know I was close to violations but it was hard to pass and get ahead, especially with all of the turns. Turned out of the park and out onto the Highways towards the airport. One group of partiers were at the top of one of the hills handing out wedding cake and PBRs. I really wanted to grab a PBR but who knows what that would have done to my system. Continued to work the hills and the wind. The wind was tough in parts and really played a mental game on me. I was working off of a guy back and forth for most of the ride. Eventually I had a burst of energy and dropped him. Came up on one of the para athletes. He was a strong biker and I had a difficult time passing him. Came to the entrance to Grey's lake, got my feet out of my shoes and had a nice dismount and crossed the mat.

I had my aero bottle full of with an Elixer tablet and my down tube bottle with gatorade. Took in two gu's and almost all of the aero bottle. Should have finished both bottles and maybe one extra Gu.

Drink more but not over do it. Felt good on the ride. Really concentrated on keeping my HR in check.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Helmet off. Sunglasses off (they were covered with sweat and hard to see out of so decided to not wear them). Running hat on. Socks on. Little problems here as my socks did not want to cooperate with me. Shoes on. Grabbed my race belt and took off towards the Run Exit.

I keep telling myself to figure out this run thing without putting socks on. Otherwise, this was a good transition.
Run
  • 46m 19s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 38s  min/km
Comments:

It was a HOT run. The temps dropped down about 10 degrees from Saturday and it was still one HOT mutha fcker. The finish line was pretty sweet. You ran really close to it before heading back out on the course for another mile. Stacey said she saw me heading out towards the last turnaround and new it was almost over.

TONS of aide stations with plenty of workers. Hy Vee did it right again. I think there were easily 20 volunteers at each water station handing out water, gatorade, cold sponges and cold towels. It was sweet and I took advantage of every one.

My first mile was 6:55. Too fast.
Mile 2: 7:09 Still a little fast
Mile 3: 7:32 Better
Mile 4; 7:37 Don't lose it Matt
Mile 5: 7:39 You are losing it Matt
Mile 6: 7:57 Lost it. LOL

I was tired and felt like I did not have any energy. I did not walk a single step though so that was much better than Milwaukee. Also, I felt okay on the last mile or so. I kept telling myself, keep going, keep going, keep going.

I think I was in the top 5 or so of my age group after t2 and gave up several spots on the run. The worst part about having out age written on our legs is that you know when someone passes you that you don't want to pass you. Couple of times I felt like going with the guy passing me and I did for a 100 yards or so.

Train more. Run faster. Run smarter.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching. Ice Cream Bar for sure. Fruit, water. and some more fruit.
Got a massage. My quads were sore and the therapist worked them over really good. Stood around for a while taking pictures with Stacey and the boys, Merle, Terri, Thomas, and Kamdyn. It was really awesome for them to come spend their morning with me.

Printed off my results. 16th in the Age Group. Ugh. Needed one more place to get to 5150 next year. Now I need to find a race to compete in that can get me there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. Could have run faster but I was not unhappy either. I ran the whole time and felt like things were okay. I should have red lined myself more on the run and tried to shave a few more seconds off, but that was just not in the cards today.

Event comments:

Hy Vee puts on an amazing show. They get volunteers to show in in massive amounts. There were so many volunteers out there. It was awesome and I will be back again. If I don't make the 5150, then I will do the age group and try again.

Post race was plenty of food, water, gatorade and I always love the Wells Blue Bunny free ice cream. This was a great event.

My only "issue" with the race was that I could not watch the pros. The last few years, the pros have started well after the Age Group triathlon was over. This year they started first. Maybe there was a need to change the schedule but I was not really happy with that. However, we did get to rub elbows with the pros at the swim start and I knew they were doing the exact same course as I was, only about 30 minutes faster !!!! :-)

Great job HyVee and great job to my fellow Sux Tri Club members.

Last updated: 2013-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:24 | 1500 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/38
Overall: 120/596
Performance: Good
Suit: No Suit. 86 degree water
Course: Beach start. Four major turns. Right, then left, then left, they right into the swim exit. Well marked with huge bright markers.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:04 | 40 kms | 37.46 km/hr
Age Group: 12/38
Overall: 80/596
Averaged 145. Maxed at 153. I wanted to keep my HR under 150 since I think that is rate that starts to cook me internally.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Mostly main roads in Des Moines. Road a few miles in Water Works Park and most of the road was very smooth. Only George Flagg Drive was really rough and tight. Oncoming bikes were pretty close to us, especially when trying to pass.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:19 | 10 kms | 04m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 27/38
Overall: 234/596
Performance: Average
Average 159 Max 168 I should have pushed harder on the run. HR was fluctuating quite a bit.
Course: Flat trail run with some streets. Just a couple of smaller hills. Ran along the south side of the lake and over the pedestrian bridge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-02 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship

2013-09-02 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4844611

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship

Nice RR!  Sounds like it was a fun race.  The course looked good, but the wind and temps sure did pick up as the day went on.  Nice time :)

Funny, I probably saw you 50 times this weekend.  My kids did Ironkids, and I was at the bike out and finish line when you would have been there. Lol.  One of these days I'll meet you and then I can cheer for ya proper-like.

2013-09-03 3:09 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

LOL Switch!!

Ironkids was fun but that was a long day.  Couldn't wait to get my kids bike out of transition and on my way.  Hot as HEL L too!

Our season up in NW Iowa is pretty much over.  There is a couple of smaller tris coming up but most are done with. 

2013-09-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Sounds like a great race and that you had a really good time of it - congrats!

Been there on the run!  Surprised

Might have to try one of these - sounds like they do a nice job.

Matt

2013-09-04 3:05 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Nice work out there Sunday Matt! I wanted one of those beers also but knew I'd get my beer later in the day. Agree with you on all counts, great race and volunteers. It would have been nice to watch the pro's. Like you, I wan't too far off of 15th place. You can come down hear and do the Kansas 5150 next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship

Started by mroger82
Views: 1578 Posts: 3

2011-09-09 10:39 AM tuwood

Started by lrunfit
Views: 1753 Posts: 3

2011-09-12 10:13 AM bscharff

Started by robfornoff
Views: 2098 Posts: 3

2011-09-09 10:37 AM tuwood

Started by markcdaniels
Views: 1877 Posts: 3

2011-09-07 7:39 AM gamecom17

Started by CPT K
Views: 1440 Posts: 2

2011-09-05 1:32 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).