Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-24 11:28 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Kerrville Tri
Joel

Is this an accurate lroute and elevation of the bike course?

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/kerrville-tx/kerrville-triathlon-festiv...

I am really getting excited

Cheers!!!

2013-09-25 9:12 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Austin

That is not an accurate bike course anymore, at least the one you linked.

Here is last years right from my garmin.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/2WL6EVHZST6ZUXWBEEGTC552O4

and here it is from the kerrville site

http://www.kerrvilletri.com/images/kerrville-bike-course.jpg

Its about 14 miles down, 1.5 miles over. 13 miles up, 1.5 miles over, and then do it again but with a few less miles.

My elevation on there is somewhat more accurate.

Things of note, (Click on the link above, then on the lower right side click on the lap # to see where I am talking about on the map.)

last year near mile 17 there is a right turn you can see on the map that goes across the river, into a very sharp left turn that is a hill. Be ready for it. There is a aid station just after this hill with a porta potty (at least last year.)

then at mile 19 you will see a small out and back that cuts from the main course, this can be a little tough hill also going out, but on the way back feels great, just slow down at the turn around.

At 23 there is a curve around a farm up a hill, then you connect to the highway. This is where I saw most people that walked their bikes up hills walk them up this hill, it is short but steep. I also saw 2 wrecks here last year. Just be aware of the people in front and behind you.

Mile 27 is not steep but a long slug up a hill. The last 2 years there was a lot of construction going on here. Hopefully this year it won't be bad.

The bike finish is a right turn down a side street near T2, but its not long until the dismount line. Again be prepared. The walk into T2 is a steep and could be muddy place so please don't fall.

Only a few more days!

Ill try to post my bib number on Saturday once I get it, but I will be in a black and neon green tyr try suit this year, and I ride a blue and white novara (I know super awesome tri bike right!) Hope to see you there.

2013-09-25 10:21 AM

User image

Austin

1 more tip I just remembered

Bring a second pair of running shoes to warm up with the morning of the race, if you like to run a bit the morning of. Since your normal shoes will be in your t2 bag and dropped off the night before.

2013-09-25 10:23 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Dude, we are going to have to pay you for all these tips!!!! Thanks so much.

Originally posted by jetsers

Bring a second pair of running shoes to warm up with the morning of the race, if you like to run a bit the morning of. Since your normal shoes will be in your t2 bag and dropped off the night before.

2013-09-25 10:26 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

Dude, we are going to have to pay you for all these tips!!!! Thanks so much.

X3 thanks a lot Joel
2013-09-25 2:31 PM

User image

New user
Just got the email:

The pre-event un-official water temperature is 75 degrees fahrenheit. It is very likely that wetsuits will be permitted for all participants.

Also, here's a link to the event guide if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.scribd.com/doc/170852019/Kerrville-Triathlon-Event-Guide...

Current weather stalking: 60 low, 81 high, 40% chance of rain, 7 mph winds....

2013-09-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Decided to "race" the half this weekend. Haven't done any race prep training at all so just plan on having a good training day. I'll be in the all black Jack and Adams race kit representing the Red Train team from Jack and Adams!
2013-09-26 10:40 AM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Austin

Originally posted by rbalazs Decided to "race" the half this weekend. Haven't done any race prep training at all so just plan on having a good training day. I'll be in the all black Jack and Adams race kit representing the Red Train team from Jack and Adams!

Sweet, make sure to say hi as you pass me on the bike and on the run! Oh yeah and save me at least 1 beer at the finish!

2013-09-26 7:27 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by rbalazs Decided to "race" the half this weekend. Haven't done any race prep training at all so just plan on having a good training day. I'll be in the all black Jack and Adams race kit representing the Red Train team from Jack and Adams!

Sweet, make sure to say hi as you pass me on the bike and on the run! Oh yeah and save me at least 1 beer at the finish!

X2 bro I'll be wearing all black 2XU w/ B12 TT bike ill look for you Joel i already met Justin
2013-09-26 7:42 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I hope we don't get stormed out! Hope to see you all out there.
Have a great, safe and fast race!!!!

Justin
2013-09-26 7:45 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

I hope we don't get stormed out! Hope to see you all out there.
Have a great, safe and fast race!!!!

Justin

I hope so too ... i hope they dont cancel the bike leg

2013-09-26 9:45 PM

User image

Austin

OK, so tonight was clean and lube bike and start laying things out.

Some things I am adding that I wished I had last year

Arm warmers, last year it was cold and raining on the bike even a little bit of hard rain that felt like sleet at one point.

Track suit to stay warm in before the race to put in my dry bag before the race.

Hand held water bottle, I found this year that I like to drink when I want not just at water stops. (Keeps the stones at bay)

I have a new race belt this year also that has room to hold some of my own gels. That will make the run even nicer.

So what things have you added or subtracted from last years race or from your other races that you will be doing at Kerrville?

2013-09-28 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4844970

User image

Austin
Packet picked up. Number is 23
2013-09-29 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Congratulations to everyone that participated in the Tri. What a great day of racing. I almost did not make it. I am glad I did.
I was Bib no. 665 in the Quarter. I did it in 3 hours 1 min. I was in the beefteam shirt and NY Yankee hat. I lost my lucky visor.
Was the weather great or what.

I did slow down on one part of the bike course to drink some water and that was right before the big hill, so I had to grind the hill out. That was my only faux pau. My hammies were killing me when I came of the bike. I had to stop and stretch. Need to train better.

I did see an ambulance on the bike course at a low water crossing. The biker looked dazed. I hope he is OK.

Overall a great day.

Again I hope everyone had a great day and safe trip home. A great deal of folks from the Houston area seemed to be at the race.

I will be doing the Natural Bridge Du in Dec. A fun event. It is in New Braunfels. Any recomendations on one more Tri for the year maybe a sprint?
2013-10-01 4:16 PM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
What a great race!!!!! I think this has been my favorite so far (just 5 under my belt). The weather turned out to be great, the venue was awesome, the volunteers were over the top cheerful and helpful and the race production went flawlessly!!! For my first HIM distance, I did okay, came in just under 6 hours. I was doing pretty good until mile 50 of the bike when I flatted out the rear tire, and due to my improper prep, my spare was for a training wheel, not my deep walled race wheel... Luckily SAG helped me out and threw a spare setup on for me, but this wheel was wider than mine and I fought rubbing brakes the last 6 miles. Talk about learning a serious lesson!!!!! That little event cost me about a half hour. Good news is that I still finished and had a great time. I don't really like running loops, but with all the "fans" able to be all along the course and the spirits so high, it really was a blessing to me, and many others I'm sure.

Totally doing it next year!
Justin
2013-10-03 10:26 AM

Austin Texas
I agree, what a great race ! And Thanks to High Five for another great event. I did the sprint, went really well, enjoyed the run, not going off road as in the past. Checked results at the end. Showed me in 4th place, same as last year. After a shower at the hotel I get a text asking where I was, the guy that showed first in our division was DQ'ed, only did 1 lap on the bike. So very happy to get a 3rd place, Mens 50-54.

2013-10-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: poodleboy

User image

Austin

been putting together some videos. here is swim start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm8u3rxLRQ&feature=youtu.be

I sadly don't have any video from the bike or run. but i do have footage of the course to add later.

if any of you have pictures from the race or video I would love to put a whole bunch of clips together. Let me know please.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kerrville Tri Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Carpool from The Woodlands for Kerrville tri 9/28

Started by pmcroome
Views: 761 Posts: 1

2013-06-23 4:34 PM pmcroome

Kerrville Tri Pages: 1 2 3

Started by GomesBolt
Views: 7057 Posts: 73

2012-10-03 10:15 PM ironultrared

Kerrville Tri Festival

Started by jruns
Views: 2772 Posts: 10

2012-05-25 12:20 PM TriPatrick

Kerrville Tri, Sprints in Central TX

Started by TXwildcat
Views: 2583 Posts: 16

2011-10-04 2:56 PM PLMsbr

Kerrville Folk Festival

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 931 Posts: 1

2011-06-07 12:51 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.