General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone know how the 2013 Nations Triathlon swim start is going to work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-03 7:36 AM

New user
Subject: Does anyone know how the 2013 Nations Triathlon swim start is going to work?
I have done more than a dozen triathlons and probably watched another dozen, mostly wave starts but also a few time trial starts and I have seen the rolling start at IM Lake placid. However the start at this years Nations triathlon sounds different than anything I have ever seen or heard of. Does anyone know how it is going to work?

• The first swim wave will start at 7:00 AM, so make sure you are lined up in the proper swim corral that corresponds to your wave number. The corrals are marked with the swim cap color and the age group in that wave. You will be able to walk around the venue before you start, so do not lose track of time. You can find your swim wave number at the end of this document.
• Time Trial Swim Start: The first swim group will start at 7:00 AM with a time trial start where 8 athletes will take off every 15-20 seconds. All athletes must jump into the water feet first; there will be NO diving allowed.

Edited by Anachronism 2013-09-03 7:37 AM

2013-09-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: Anachronism

User image

Subject: RE: Does anyone know how the 2013 Nations Triathlon swim start is going to work?
its a wave start with intervals and small groups - i've done it for some of my smaller sprint tri's with pool swims...so starting at 7am - 8 swimmers in the water; 7:00:20 - another 8, 7:00:40 another 8 etc - then they are done by waves so they'll do the age groups in order would be my guess
2013-09-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: Anachronism

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Subject: RE: Does anyone know how the 2013 Nations Triathlon swim start is going to work?
It's a TT start, except that 8 go at a time instead of 1. I believe they just roll through the corrals. I don't know which wave I'm in - there are three for 25-29 but I assume we'll find out at packet pick-up. In the past, I believe there was a timing mat under the water (it's quite shallow) that activated as the people swam over it. They could have a timing mat on the dock as people jump in too.

Prepared for a nice crowded bike?!

John
2013-09-03 12:31 PM
in reply to: guitarfrk75

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by guitarfrk75 It's a TT start, except that 8 go at a time instead of 1. I believe they just roll through the corrals. I don't know which wave I'm in - there are three for 25-29 but I assume we'll find out at packet pick-up. In the past, I believe there was a timing mat under the water (it's quite shallow) that activated as the people swam over it. They could have a timing mat on the dock as people jump in too. Prepared for a nice crowded bike?! John

This is correct.  I raced it last year, and it's the same format.  Basically, you roll through the corrals, walk out onto a dock, and every so many seconds 8 of you jump into the water and start swimming.  There is a timing mat on the dock that you cross when you jump in to start your individual timing.  For a race as big as Nations on a confined course, it's the fastest way anyone has come up with to get everyone started, because traditional waves can take literally hours, and a mass start isn't an option.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone know how the 2013 Nations Triathlon swim start is going to work? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMLP swim start tips or any 2500+ mass swim start tips...if any Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 4408 Posts: 30

2013-09-07 12:41 PM FELTGood

I don't know what I am doing....

Started by Flapjack
Views: 1296 Posts: 7

2011-02-21 9:00 PM Flapjack

Anyone know how chip timing works?

Started by dalessit
Views: 953 Posts: 8

2010-03-28 10:48 AM KathyG

Do not know where to start with the swim portion

Started by injuredrunner
Views: 1232 Posts: 8

2008-07-30 10:14 AM kenaxford

How do indoor swim starts work?

Started by Ozmokis
Views: 985 Posts: 9

2005-02-09 1:42 PM gypsykorea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Abitaman #3 swim triathlon wallpaper provided by tri_it_cajun_style.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).