General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water bottle/front tire collision Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-03 10:34 AM

Subject: Water bottle/front tire collision
I did the Timberman a couple weeks ago, my first HIM.

Near the end of the bike, a water bottle bounced from the seat of a fellow in front of me, and started rolling toward me. It was heading straight for my front tire. I was going about 25 mph at the time.

Luckily, the bottle swerved and missed my tire by an inch or two.

For whatever reason, I keep picturing that bottle rolling toward me, and I wonder what would have happened if I had hit it. Does anyone know?

Would I have crashed or would the bottle have bounced off the tire?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2013-09-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: Willy Gee

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Water bottle/front tire collision
Rear wheel you probably would roll over it, front wheel a very good chance it takes you out.
2013-09-03 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
A skill you should have (or be working on) is bunny hopping. If you can't do it, practice. If you can, don't worry about rolling objects.
2013-09-03 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

It's possible either could have happened, but it's more likely for it to wedge under your tire and cause a crash.

At an aid station at IMAZ 08 the guy directly in front of me went right over the handlebars when he hit a dropped bottle.  We were going around 15 mph and I managed to miss him by some miracle.  I saw a crash on the STP from a fallen bottle; the person didn't see it and rode straight into it.  This time they didn't flip but just went down in a heap. 

Bottles are dangerous.  It's why when you see a dropped bottle everyone should shouting "bottle! bottle!" so as to warn everyone.

2013-09-03 10:48 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by running2far

Rear wheel you probably would roll over it, front wheel a very good chance it takes you out.

I was in a group charity ride and somebody's Profle Design aero bottle slipped out. The guy behind him swerved it with his back tire. Down he went.
2013-09-03 11:36 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

thanks for the responses. like I said, i keep thinking about that bottle. i guess i dodged a bullet.

2013-09-03 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

At a 70.3, I saw a lady hit one going into aid station.  She was hurt pretty badly.

At Vineman a few years ago there were a few areas where the road was a little rough and there were bottles all over the place.  I was starting to get a little peeved that people couldn't do a better job of securing their stuff.  I had one roll in front of me on a 40+ mph descent.  HR spike.

2013-09-03 12:25 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Leegoocrap A skill you should have (or be working on) is bunny hopping. If you can't do it, practice. If you can, don't worry about rolling objects.

Again, Chris is wise.

2013-09-03 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Leegoocrap A skill you should have (or be working on) is bunny hopping. If you can't do it, practice. If you can, don't worry about rolling objects.

I'm constantly amazed how this skill seems to elude so many cyclists, especially given how important it can be.  

2013-09-03 12:43 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Yes, a dropped and rolling water bottle is a very scary proposition to manage. I recall a race few years ago where I actually hit the water bottle and I was traveling upwards of 40mph when I hit it. Miraculously, I managed to stay on the bike. To this day I still ponder how injured I would have gotten had I fallen. People really need to hold their bottles securely and warn others if they have dropped them. Particularly on any downhill sections of a course.
2013-09-03 1:04 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Originally posted by running2far

I was thinking the same thing. I ran over my water bottle with my back wheel on Saturday. No problem keeping the bike up, but I suspect it would have been different if I ran over it with my front wheel.

Not that I am advocating this, but one time my back wheel went over the shoulder of someone who crashed in front of me and I kept the bike upright. The back wheel can handle a lot more than the front without affecting stability.

2013-09-03 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Willy Gee I did the Timberman a couple weeks ago, my first HIM. Near the end of the bike, a water bottle bounced from the seat of a fellow in front of me, and started rolling toward me. It was heading straight for my front tire. I was going about 25 mph at the time. Luckily, the bottle swerved and missed my tire by an inch or two. For whatever reason, I keep picturing that bottle rolling toward me, and I wonder what would have happened if I had hit it. Does anyone know? Would I have crashed or would the bottle have bounced off the tire? Thanks in advance for any responses.

If it's empty, you stand a good chance of smooshing it and/or popping the lid off.  With the "old style" of water bottle with the snap-on kind of lid, this will happen.   If it's full of water and/or has a screw-on type lid... it's probably going to take you out.

I saw a full, unopened pint coke bottle stop a Jeep with 31" tires.  Jeep was in a parking lot and rolling slower than 10mph... but still... it wedged in there and stopped the jeep cold. 

2013-09-03 8:33 PM

User image

I'm sure a rolling bottle has never bothered Martyn Ashton

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/303812/

2013-09-04 8:03 AM
in reply to: Jason N

if that video is real, it is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.
2013-09-04 8:21 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Willy Gee

if that video is real, it is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Oh it is real.

If you want to waste several hours of your life google/youtube Danny Macaskill. Some of the most amazing bike skills you will ever see. Of course it comes at a price---the guy has been constantly injured for several years. You usually only see the successful landings on youtube.

Sorry. Thread hijack over.
2013-09-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Quick question wrt bunny hopping.  I can do this no problem on my road bike (often used here in NE to avoid 8" deep potholes that appear out of nowhere from the previous winter).

But, I haven't ever tried this in aero.  Do you just grab hold by the shifters and it's the same move, or do you have to get your hands to the bullhorns in time?

Thought I'd ask before I try (and create one of the videos you don't see on youtube).

Matt

2013-09-04 8:35 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Jason N

I'm sure a rolling bottle has never bothered Martyn Ashton

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/303812/

And people worry if their carbon wheels can handle training or the stress of being on the trainer...
2013-09-04 8:45 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Quick question wrt bunny hopping.  I can do this no problem on my road bike (often used here in NE to avoid 8" deep potholes that appear out of nowhere from the previous winter).

But, I haven't ever tried this in aero.  Do you just grab hold by the shifters and it's the same move, or do you have to get your hands to the bullhorns in time?

Thought I'd ask before I try (and create one of the videos you don't see on youtube).

Matt

I can probably clear 3-4 inches while in aero, going fairly fast, but it is nerve wracking. If I had time, which in this situation (the rolling water bottle) you don't, I would do it from the bullhorns.

If you want practice, try hopping over the expansion joints in the road or a small pothole on your next ride. One of my standard loops has a bridge on it that is probably close to an inch higher than the pavement leading up to it. I can hop on to the bridge, in aero, without ever slowing down. Hopping a rolling water bottle would be scary but doable in aero.

2013-09-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Matt

I can probably clear 3-4 inches while in aero, going fairly fast, but it is nerve wracking. If I had time, which in this situation (the rolling water bottle) you don't, I would do it from the bullhorns. If you want practice, try hopping over the expansion joints in the road or a small pothole on your next ride. One of my standard loops has a bridge on it that is probably close to an inch higher than the pavement leading up to it. I can hop on to the bridge, in aero, without ever slowing down. Hopping a rolling water bottle would be scary but doable in aero.

x2.

Another option, in a pinch, would be to just lift the front tire.  As stated earlier, hitting it with the rear would be less problematic.  You can definitely lift the front wheel while in aero.

2013-09-04 9:07 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
the only thing about "only" hopping your front is that you're going to be a LOT less stable in aero when your back wheel pops up off the bottle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envF2JwG_W0

2:20 in Fabian shows how to do it right.
2013-09-04 9:10 AM
in reply to: Experior

Regular
CT
Originally posted by Experior

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Matt

I can probably clear 3-4 inches while in aero, going fairly fast, but it is nerve wracking. If I had time, which in this situation (the rolling water bottle) you don't, I would do it from the bullhorns. If you want practice, try hopping over the expansion joints in the road or a small pothole on your next ride. One of my standard loops has a bridge on it that is probably close to an inch higher than the pavement leading up to it. I can hop on to the bridge, in aero, without ever slowing down. Hopping a rolling water bottle would be scary but doable in aero.

x2.

Another option, in a pinch, would be to just lift the front tire.  As stated earlier, hitting it with the rear would be less problematic.  You can definitely lift the front wheel while in aero.

Yes,
If anyone is aghast about clearing the height of a bottle, its not all about height. Should be said that simply the attempt can improve one's odds.
Just unweighting the bike timely can keep one shiny side up for a host of road hazzards; potholes, glass, treefall, improperly oriented storm drains, speed bumps, railroad tracks, roadkill, etc

2013-09-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: GottaSki

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Just gave it a go on my lunch ride.  Easier than I thought, but I did have to shift weight a little to get a good jump - otherwise I found that it was more my front wheel that came up if I approached it with the same moves as on a road bike but straight from aero.  A little pre-jump unweighting off the seat helped to pick the rear wheel up along with it.

Still only got a couple inches off the ground, but that'll come with practice, I suppose.

Thanks for the advice.

And now back to your regularly scheduled post...

Matt

2013-09-04 2:11 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
I tried to jump over an entire person who went down in front of me in a race. It didn't work.
2013-09-04 8:38 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by NeilsWheel I tried to jump over an entire person who went down in front of me in a race. It didn't work.

I actually did 'jump' an entire person once, in a training ride, sort of, and it speaks to Chris' (good) point, above -- there are better and worse ways to let a wheel hit an obstacle, and sometimes hitting an obstacle is unavoidable for us mere mortals.  (Maybe Fabian can literally jump a person, but I can't.)  If you lift the front wheel (lean back and lift) then immediately once it is clear of the obstacle, lean forward and lift or at least unweight the rear wheel, you have a decent chance.

Yes, this really happened to me -- the guy to my left and just in front went down hard and fast right in front of me, no time to brake.  (I was on a road bike, in the drops, not in aero on a tri bike, but the same principe applies.)  I lifted the front wheel and then the rear, as described.  It wasn't a bunny hop so much as taking my weight off of the wheel that was hitting him at the moment.  He ended up with bruised ribs.  It could have been much worse.

You can (and IMHO, should) practice this move (as well as bunny hops) on curbs or the like.  If your wheels are properly unweighted when they strike, they will easily just 'bounce' over and not cause you or your bike great harm.  If you are worried, practice first on a crappy bike with crappy wheels.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water bottle/front tire collision Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Front mount water bottle without aerobars?

Started by jgalaviz
Views: 3312 Posts: 11

2012-04-21 3:12 AM Trath-L33T

First fall over front tire

Started by SWIM2LIVE
Views: 657 Posts: 1

2009-09-06 1:02 AM SWIM2LIVE

Problems airing my front tire,,,,need help

Started by xmann1102
Views: 841 Posts: 8

2009-08-13 12:45 PM xmann1102

Water Bottle that keeps water cold

Started by tlane
Views: 1230 Posts: 10

2006-06-12 11:22 AM wsm9363

cyclocomputer on front or rear tire?

Started by auto208562
Views: 1035 Posts: 10

2005-04-19 3:35 PM auto208562
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : February 27, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
How is water used in the body? Is bottled water better? Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.
date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.