General Discussion Triathlon Talk » $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-09-03 12:54 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible
Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Rogillio

Just becuase they posted those rules does not absolve them of liability.  

I have a related question on this for the legal types. At my local YMCA they post in the locker rooms that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. But some are saying they are? How does that work?

I have had a cell phone stolen out of a locker at the YMCA - literally the only time I've forgotten my lock and risked it. Lesson learned.

. Not a lawyer, but I don't think there could be any reasonable level of expectation for a YMCA to enforce stealing of phones as they are pretty easy to steal and then sneak out. A $10K bike is a little harder to 'hide' and there could be some expectation, but again more an insurance issue I'm guessing.

I suspect that it would depend on the situation.  If your phone is stolen when you left it in a locker without a lock, then common sense says it's 100% your fault.  If someone comes into the gym with bolt cutters and cuts off your lock to steal it (this has actually happened where I work), then things are starting to get a little grey.  If the gym has a system in place for holding personal belongings at the front desk, and they give your phone and car keys to someone else, again common sense says 100% the gym's fault.

In the case of bikes stolen out of transition, it seems that if a race required checking it into transition the night before the race, failed to secure the area overnight, and bikes were stolen, it would be hard for them to deny liability.  Bikes stolen during the race through deceit in spite of reasonable security measures taken by the RD would be a tougher argument.

Of course, all the above is just opinion, and in any event, common sense seems to not always apply to court decisions in recent years anyway.

2013-09-03 12:55 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible
At Hy-Vee over the weekend they were really good about checking to make sure bike number matched athlete markings/wristband etc. I think that should be the norm in all triathlons sanctioned or not. ESPECIALLY something of the 70.3 variety where the race duration is longer.

After reading this post I'll try my best not to use the left side of my brain :P
2013-09-03 12:59 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Originally posted by TriMyBest

I have a related question on this for the legal types. At my local YMCA they post in the locker rooms that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. But some are saying they are? How does that work?

I have had a cell phone stolen out of a locker at the YMCA - literally the only time I've forgotten my lock and risked it. Lesson learned.

. Not a lawyer, but I don't think there could be any reasonable level of expectation for a YMCA to enforce stealing of phones as they are pretty easy to steal and then sneak out. A $10K bike is a little harder to 'hide' and there could be some expectation, but again more an insurance issue I'm guessing.

I suspect that it would depend on the situation.  If your phone is stolen when you left it in a locker without a lock, then common sense says it's 100% your fault.  If someone comes into the gym with bolt cutters and cuts off your lock to steal it (this has actually happened where I work), then things are starting to get a little grey.  If the gym has a system in place for holding personal belongings at the front desk, and they give your phone and car keys to someone else, again common sense says 100% the gym's fault.

In the case of bikes stolen out of transition, it seems that if a race required checking it into transition the night before the race, failed to secure the area overnight, and bikes were stolen, it would be hard for them to deny liability.  Bikes stolen during the race through deceit in spite of reasonable security measures taken by the RD would be a tougher argument.

Of course, all the above is just opinion, and in any event, common sense seems to not always apply to court decisions in recent years anyway.

I'm pretty sure we could come up with scenarios that do, indeed, show some kind of gross negligence....and your example is a good one.....you are required to leave bike overnight, no security, LOTS of bikes being stolen, different deal altogether than what happened in the original example. 

2013-09-03 1:00 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Pro

Originally posted by reecealan At Hy-Vee over the weekend they were really good about checking to make sure bike number matched athlete markings/wristband etc. I think that should be the norm in all triathlons sanctioned or not. ESPECIALLY something of the 70.3 variety where the race duration is longer. After reading this post I'll try my best not to use the left side of my brain :P

Dude.....it's painful. Laughing

2013-09-03 1:00 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Originally posted by kcarroll

Originally posted by Left Brain I've seen very few races where I couldn't steal a bike if so inclined.....lucky for all of us that most people aren't bent that way.

I've known a few people who leave phones, car keys etc in their transition bags. Easy enough to steal more than bikes if someone wanted. While not perfect, there's quite a bit of attention paid to matching bikes to participants in races around here. Transition bags, not so much.  

I know that at the prerace meeting for my first race, they talked about security measures such as volunteers checking to make sure that we had wristbands when entering the transition zone and making sure the bike and helmet stickers matched our wristbands before we could take those out at the end of the race. However, there was nothing to check that you rode your own bike out of T1. They also explicitly warned against leaving wallets and cell phones in obvious places in transition because they would be too easy for a dishonest person to steal.
2013-09-03 1:03 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain I've seen very few races where I couldn't steal a bike if so inclined.....lucky for all of us that most people aren't bent that way.

True, but the as Noelle said, that's the case with almost everything in our lives.  You can't keep the dishonest people from being dishonest.  All you can do is make them work harder for it.

Regarding the topic at hand, many races I've done lately have checked for matching body markings and/or wrist bands for bikes going both into and out of transition.  I'd think that it would be easy enough for these same conscientious RD's to post a couple volunteers at the bike out during the race to watch and make sure that everyone riding out had body markings that matched the bike number.  Again, it's not a guarantee, because someone could slap on some fake body markings and grab the matching bike or put a fake number on a bike, but it's still making them work harder for it.

So if that happens do you still think you can hold the race responsible?  What's to stop me from saying someone stole my bike just to get the race to pay?

LB, you spend enough time on these boards to know that we can come up with all kind of scenarios and speculate on the legal liabilities all day long.  It wasn't my intent to speculate about whether the RD would be liable in that scenario, rather it was to agree that you can't stop someone intent on theft, and threw out two possible methods off the top of my head that would be difficult to protect against.

Regarding saying someone stole your bike just to get the race to pay, we run into that sort of dishonesty occasionally at the gym I work at.  We recently had one member claim another member stole his cell phone, but it turned out that a review of our security camera footage showed that the first member had fabricated the entire thing.  I guess the answer to your question is there is very little stopping someone from making that sort of claim.  I'd imagine it happens fairly regularly.

Eh.....I didn't take any offense at all to your post.  I just get tickled when I start reading posts like this where some folks are sure the RD is responsible and you can get remedy through the race.  That would be very rare.  You'd have to be able to prove they were grossly negligent.  One bike stolen out of hundreds or thousands doesn't go very far to prove that.

Oh, I didn't think you took offense.  I just thought you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

2013-09-03 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

All comes down to what a "reasonable person" would do or expect.

It appears from comments here and from the races I have done, that a reasonable RD puts measures in place to attempt to avoid bike theft. All races I have done require a number on the bike and a number on the  athlete both pinned, usually body marked and on the helmet. A reasonable RD would have people at the exit checking to make sure the numbers match. 

It is not reasonable to expect armed guards, sniffing dogs and a background check at the exit of T1 to be 100% sure that every bike is with the correct owner. But at the same time it is not reasonable to have no measures in place and have T1 be a free for all zone with no oversight at all. Sounds like this race did not have someone checking numbers so they may be 40% liable or something along those lines.

At the same time there is a duty on the athlete to act reasonably. If the transition areas are not secure it would not be reasonable to leave a $10k bike there. 

But at the end of the day I don't know that there is much remedy for the bike owner here. I am slightly nervous every time I check my $3k worth of gear into a transition area, I appreciate the security measures provided but I know at the end of the day there is no way an RD can guarantee my stuff won't get stolen. So I carry insurance on my gear and for the small stuff ($100 sunglasses) I accept the risk as a part of racing.

On another note, I don't see that bike being $10k, I think he got ripped off.

Also, I didn't think there was crime in Canada???  

2013-09-03 1:34 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I think if this type of theft becomes more common, controls will be added that ensure a bike never leaves without its rightful owner. Technology might play into this. Races may require you to wear bib numbers more often (not just arm/leg tatoos).

Alternatively, race theft insurance might be introduced (driving up costs).

I don't think its a common problem a this time, though. The triathlete community is generally more ethical than the average. I have not basis for saying that other than we're already a pretty committed bunch and our character flaws tend to vanity rather than theft.
2013-09-03 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by jford2309

As I read this, I am thinking you placed it in a locker without a lock????? is that right?  Not sure anyway they could be held responsible there.

Right. And I also place my bike in transition without a lock, yet some are saying the race organizers should be held responsible. Maybe an unequal comparison in terms of dollars but the same in theory....

The situation I was referring to is when they give you a basket to put you stuff in and you give them the basket and they give you a ticket or number. In that situation you have a reasonable expectation that since they accepted custody of your stuff they are responsible if something is stolen.

A cell phone is probably not worth the cost and hassle of a civil suit but a $10k bike certainly would be. In Alabama it only costs about $70 to file a civil suite....and I think the bike case would have been settled quickly w/o ever going to court.

2013-09-03 2:05 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

We take a lot of theft reports from health and fitness center locker rooms......I don't know of any cases where victims were reimbursed by the facility. 

No matter what gets posted here.....it's VERY hard pretty much impossible to collect for a loss through civil means when the loss involves a property crime.

Or even restitution in a criminal case.

2013-09-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

As I read this, I am thinking you placed it in a locker without a lock????? is that right?  Not sure anyway they could be held responsible there.

Right. And I also place my bike in transition without a lock, yet some are saying the race organizers should be held responsible. Maybe an unequal comparison in terms of dollars but the same in theory....

The situation I was referring to is when they give you a basket to put you stuff in and you give them the basket and they give you a ticket or number. In that situation you have a reasonable expectation that since they accepted custody of your stuff they are responsible if something is stolen. A cell phone is probably not worth the cost and hassle of a civil suit but a $10k bike certainly would be. In Alabama it only costs about $70 to file a civil suite....and I think the bike case would have been settled quickly w/o ever going to court.

Based on what??

2013-09-03 2:16 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by trishie

We take a lot of theft reports from health and fitness center locker rooms......I don't know of any cases where victims were reimbursed by the facility. 

No matter what gets posted here.....it's VERY hard pretty much impossible to collect for a loss through civil means when the loss involves a property crime.

Or even restitution in a criminal case.

Even if you win in court usually the people who partake in these activities are not easy to collect from. You may get part of someone's paycheck from the liquor store for a few months until they quit to take a different job to avoid the garnishment but it's really not worth the hassle. At least that was my experience. Although it was kind of fun to get a tiny paycheck from the local liquor store every two weeks in the mail while it lasted.

Small claims court was an interesting life experience as well.
2013-09-03 2:19 PM

User image

The sad thing is that bikes are just scratching the surface of what thieves could get in transition.  A smart thief would target garmins and expensive sunglasses.  Super easy to stuff in a bag that will never get checked, and 500x easier to sell on the open market/ebay.

If you steal a $10k bike, you're going to have a hard time selling it, and posting a listing opens you up to getting caught.  Ask for too high a price and it will stay listed longer.  Ask for too low a price and everyone becomes suspicious.  Probably smart to sell it outside of the area it was stolen from, adding to the inconvenience of the theif.

If you steal a garmin 510, list it for $200 on ebay as a buy it now, and you've sold it in less than 24 hours to someone who likely lives 500 mile away.  Shipping would be less than $5.

2013-09-03 2:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama

The situation I was referring to is when they give you a basket to put you stuff in and you give them the basket and they give you a ticket or number. In that situation you have a reasonable expectation that since they accepted custody of your stuff they are responsible if something is stolen. A cell phone is probably not worth the cost and hassle of a civil suit but a $10k bike certainly would be. In Alabama it only costs about $70 to file a civil suite....and I think the bike case would have been settled quickly w/o ever going to court.

Based on what??

Based on my experience with a civil suit against a local company. It is very easy to file the suit and get it into small claims court. Each state varies in the dollar limit for small claims court. No idea what the limit is in Canada....or if they even have a similar legal process. I checked my bike over night at a tri in FL and the limit for small claims court is $5k in FL....but it's $25k in TN. At any rate, the RD would have to explain why he is not responsible to a judge and the judge would decide liability. And in this situation, it is my opinion, the plaintiff would easily win.

Edited by Rogillio 2013-09-03 2:23 PM
2013-09-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Based on what??

Based on my experience with a civil suit against a local company. It is very easy to file the suit and get it into small claims court. Each state varies in the dollar limit for small claims court. No idea what the limit is in Canada....or if they even have a similar legal process. I checked my bike over night at a tri in FL and the limit for small claims court is $5k in FL....but it's $25k in TN. At any rate, the RD would have to explain why he is not responsible a judge and the judge would decide liability. And in this situation, it is my opinion, the plaintiff would easily win.

Okie dokie.

2013-09-03 2:30 PM

User image

New user

I participated in the sprint tri at this event on Saturday and have done 3 other Somersault races so far this year. I was a bit taken aback when I read the RD's comment that it was totally my responsibility to look after my equipment when I would have been swimming in a river or running along a road in one of their races. Short of chaining my bike to the rack or asking someone to specifically watch my bike all day whilst I'm not sat on it, I don't see how it would even be possible !!

I haven't written a race report yet, but interestingly the biggest observation from my race was that Somersault were trying to do too much at once with the amount of room and volunteers they had available. There were times where swim waves were heading towards eachother and races were starting up the finish chute whilst earlier racers were trying to finish. With the amount of different things going on, there was too much activity to keep track of on any level with the lack of supervision/control that was there. Being fair the other three races have generally been well run and organised although there has been no difference in the transition security or lack of it.

Having said all that, it is relatively easy to come up with scenarios where stealing something from a transition zone would be quite straight-forward, even with some level of control, so you can see why organisers would try to rescind any responsibility right from the start.

The only non-Somersault races I have done were two in the UK where stickers were put on bikes and the only way you removed the bike from the transition was with a matching race number. Somersault does not have anything like this and really does have a VERY relaxed approach to transition security. In a couple of the races this year the transition seemed to have even been half dismantled with no exterior fencing before some of the longer races had even finished ! Even if I was the last bike left at the end of the day, I don't think I'd expect that !?

I would be happier for Somersault to utilise some level of transition control on the full expectation it would cost me an appropriate race fee increase. I certainly feel for the guy and am happy that my bike just blends in to the crowd !! Definitely makes me want to check the fine print of my house and contents insurance though !!

2013-09-03 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
definitely a risk...bad that it sometimes actually happens.

I was impressed that at IMMT they took photos of every bike when checking into transition.

Although not sure what good it would do if stolen, other than confirming that's the actual bike matched to the race number.

Maybe in the future they might an RFID system that will flag a rider if they don't match when leaving transition ...
Say the timing chip RFID has to match the bike tag RFID, otherwise, buckets of hot oil pour onto the person with the wrong bike ?
2013-09-03 2:38 PM
in reply to: ee5stj

User image

Champion
Alabama
I think the best thing an RD can do to help avoid theft from the transisiton area is to mount security cameras to record activities in the transition area. Such camera systems are only a couple hundred buck. I think making it known that the area is under video survelance would be a huge deterrant to theft.
2013-09-03 2:49 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Can the athlete use their homeowners insurance (asking out of ignorant bliss)

Yes, you can use your home owner's insurance for this loss. In my experience, I had to cover the $1,000 deductible and had a bike shop produce a receipt showing the cost of the bike.

The insurance agent was a bit surprised at how much a bike could cost.

The event it was stolen from Was Hotter than H3ll in Wichita Falls, TX. The event people nor the cops cared about the theft. In fact, the cops casually told me 20 bikes are stolen from that event each year. I have not been back.
2013-09-03 3:07 PM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Hugh in TX

Can the athlete use their homeowners insurance (asking out of ignorant bliss)

Yes, you can use your home owner's insurance for this loss. In my experience, I had to cover the $1,000 deductible and had a bike shop produce a receipt showing the cost of the bike.

The insurance agent was a bit surprised at how much a bike could cost.

The event it was stolen from Was Hotter than H3ll in Wichita Falls, TX. The event people nor the cops cared about the theft. In fact, the cops casually told me 20 bikes are stolen from that event each year. I have not been back.

That's good to know.

Most people (me included) never actually READ their homeowner's policy so they know what is and is not covered. Years ago, in my wilder years, I got sued for a million dollars for breaking a bouncer's leg in a bar fight. To my suprise, my homeowner's policy paid for my defense.....even though this happened in bar far from my home. Read your homeowner's policy and you will likely see you are covered for 'personal liability for civil suits'. The only exception my policy called out was for sexual harrassment suits - for fortunately I broke the guys leg instead of played with his arse. :-)

2013-09-03 4:15 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I'll remember that *IF* I ever have a $10K bike. When I did Steelhead, my wristband came off with my wetsuit. As I'm leaving with my Raleigh Technium, I told the guy working "security" that nobody would steal this bike given the other choices in the area, and he agreed.

Race directors have an obligation to maintain control into/out of the transition area. I've volunteered several times and been parked at the transition entrance and had to explain as nicely as I could that the wristband they include in your race packet MUST BE FASTENED AROUND YOUR WRIST to get into transition. For a race requiring that bikes be checked in the day before the race, they have an obligation to provide overnight security to keep people out of the area and minimize the opportunity for mischief. I've also worked transition security at the end of the race and try to match up the race numbers on the bike and on the person.

Now whether it's triathlon or anything else, if I can't afford to lose it, I can't afford to have it. Doubtful I'll ever have a $10K bike because I'd be so worried about it being stolen or damaged in a crash. It's also doubtful that I'll ever have a $10K stereo system or high-end TV and worry about it being damaged in a party (or stolen). I'd still be pretty irked if my <$1000 bike walked away, but I also know that I could eventually replace it.

2013-09-03 4:40 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Ontario
I did some somersault events my first year of tri.  I was surprised by the lack of any security in their transitions.  Anybody could come in or out, whole families were in transition with the racers.  Noone did anything to check if you were an athlete or not when leaving with your bike at the end of the race and even when the races were still going on there were spectators in the transition area with the athletes.  It was one of the many problems this race organization had and it looks like things have not changed in the 5 years since I did any of their races.
2013-09-03 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

True, but the as Noelle said, that's the case with almost everything in our lives.  You can't keep the dishonest people from being dishonest.  All you can do is make them work harder for it.

Regarding the topic at hand, many races I've done lately have checked for matching body markings and/or wrist bands for bikes going both into and out of transition.  I'd think that it would be easy enough for these same conscientious RD's to post a couple volunteers at the bike out during the race to watch and make sure that everyone riding out had body markings that matched the bike number.  Again, it's not a guarantee, because someone could slap on some fake body markings and grab the matching bike or put a fake number on a bike, but it's still making them work harder for it.

One of the issues with this series is the lack of volunteers. I've participated in a few of their events before. I quoted the above, because at the events I've participated it, body marking was a self-serve area - a table with some markers on it and instructions on where to put your numbers. I wish I was kidding. How much easier could they make it for you to steal someone else's bike, even if they WERE checking for matching numbers.
2013-09-03 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Most races i've done require you to show your bib/arm marked racing # and it better correlate to that on your bike as you walk out of transition. I guess that's not done everywhere- At races where bike check in is day before race, i've seen 24- hour security on sight and transition is lit up like 4th of July through night. The bikes were safe. Finally, I would think the event's underwriters/insurer would require some sort of security for this- sounds like a lawsuit to me.
2013-09-03 5:04 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Just a note on the homeowner's insurance comments. You really need to either read your policy or ask your agent to find out if your bike would be covered in this situation or not. Most likely it would typically be covered but there are many restrictions on specific property items. For example coin collections usually have a limit of say $1,000. One of the companies I sell for has a limit on bicycles, I believe it is $500. So if your bike was worth $1,000, you eat your $500 deductible and they cover the other $500. If it is worth $1,500, they will only pay you $500 due to the internal limit on bicycles. 

Also crashing is not a covered cause of loss on any personal property insurance form so it is typically not covered. Theft yes, most of the other things that we worry about happening to our bikes, no.

Most companies allow you to schedule the bike on your policy, this changes the contract to an every loss but those specifically excluded, removed the deductible, and lets you state the amount it is worth.

My Cervelo P2C is covered for $3,000 for the bike and everything on it. I have no deductible. And it is covered for almost everything but nuclear war. Cost's me about $20 a year. Crash, mysterious crack in the frame, leave it on top of the car and drive it into the garage, theft, etc. all covered.

If you have a nice bike, look into it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Stopped at the Golden Arches during a 10k race today

Started by Hartamophone
Views: 1861 Posts: 20

2011-05-10 9:53 AM mchubri

Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1347 Posts: 11

2011-01-04 9:29 PM 08M3Sedanski

Severe stomach pain (near hip lines) during 10K race

Started by iOrlando
Views: 797 Posts: 1

2010-11-22 10:41 AM iOrlando

FIRST 10K RACE DURING MARATHON TRAINING

Started by bshehan
Views: 1241 Posts: 9

2006-09-04 9:15 PM bshehan

Not racing during a race

Started by mnewton
Views: 999 Posts: 10

2006-02-01 10:24 AM Nakima
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.