General Discussion Triathlon Talk » $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-09-03 11:11 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible

Interesting story out of Canada.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/story.html?id=8860346&fb_comment_id=fbc_632912670072367_100964583_633218426708458#f26bbfdd48

She said the responsibility of keeping a bike safe ultimately rests with the competitors themselves.

“First and foremost it’s the athletes’ responsibility for their equipment and their gear. We advertise that so when they sign up for the event they are aware of it,” she said. “We do have transition zone volunteers as well as our own staff, but they are not watching an athlete take their bike from transition while the event is going on.

“We are not responsible for monitoring their equipment.”

2013-09-03 11:15 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible
Wow, that's just awful! I go to some of my races alone, and certainly don't have anyone keep an eye on my bike when I'm not on it regardless. While I'm not sure that it's the race's legal obligation to watch over gear coming out of the transition zone, I've always felt that it was an unwritten rule that they are the ones in charge of ensuring that the correct bike leaves with its owner...
2013-09-03 11:17 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible
Making note of the race, I will NEVER do any event put on those people.
2013-09-03 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I was thinking while I read the article. Even at huge events such as WTC that have great security, there is one time that security is not making sure each competitor has their bike leaving transition and that is the bike out during the race. But this bike was stolen after he rode it, so most likely no one was going out on the bike still.

But this got me back to thinking about bike out. Say you are in a race going into T1 and spot a awesome bike you want, why not just grab it and ride it away like you are racing and never come back. Never bring your own bike into T1 so you don't have a bike left behind, the only way to be caught would be by the chip. So have someone else turn it in for you, no you are apart of the masses that DNF'd. is this a possible scenario?

Still terrible and shows how much trust is within the community, and usually spectators will say something if someone is sneaking out of transition. Maybe it was a job within the person that stole it and the volunteer checking bikes out of transition?
2013-09-03 11:41 AM

Originally posted by lisac957

Interesting story out of Canada.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/story.html?id=8860346&fb_comment_id=fbc_632912670072367_100964583_633218426708458#f26bbfdd48

She said the responsibility of keeping a bike safe ultimately rests with the competitors themselves.

“First and foremost it’s the athletes’ responsibility for their equipment and their gear. We advertise that so when they sign up for the event they are aware of it,” she said. “We do have transition zone volunteers as well as our own staff, but they are not watching an athlete take their bike from transition while the event is going on.

“We are not responsible for monitoring their equipment.”

Don't know the law in Canada, but the quote above is absurd on its face, unless the pre-race instructions recommend you lock your bike up in transition area.
JTA, as other threads have noted, the victim can file a claim against their homeowners policy. Theft of your stuff away from home is covered, though sometimes gear like bikes is subject to a limit.
2013-09-03 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

It's definitely an inherent risk of racing.  Like Ben said, it wouldn't be that hard to sign up for a race and design a fairly simple scheme to rip off a bike.  Volunteers can check transition, watch the course, etc. but they can't monitor every square inch of the course to see if a racer is taking off with a bike instead of finishing the race.  

I suppose an RD can put some type of plan in place to check that every athlete checked in to race has a bike racked before the race starts but I just don't see that happening, especially at bigger races.

If people want to steal your stuff badly enough, they'll find a way whether it's at a race, in your garage, from your car or from your house.  You just can't safeguard everything you own at every moment.

2013-09-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by bcagle25

I was thinking while I read the article. Even at huge events such as WTC that have great security, there is one time that security is not making sure each competitor has their bike leaving transition and that is the bike out during the race. But this bike was stolen after he rode it, so most likely no one was going out on the bike still.

But this got me back to thinking about bike out. Say you are in a race going into T1 and spot a awesome bike you want, why not just grab it and ride it away like you are racing and never come back. Never bring your own bike into T1 so you don't have a bike left behind, the only way to be caught would be by the chip. So have someone else turn it in for you, no you are apart of the masses that DNF'd. is this a possible scenario?

Still terrible and shows how much trust is within the community, and usually spectators will say something if someone is sneaking out of transition. Maybe it was a job within the person that stole it and the volunteer checking bikes out of transition?

I did the race this pass weekend. The problem is that there is multiple distances going on at the same time. Therefore at any given time, there are folks heading out with their bike after their event. I can say that if I wanted, I could come out with any bike I want witout having to answer any question b security/volunteer.

I am sad to hear about this and don't know what I will do for next year. I've been racing 2 of their event every year for the past 3 years.
2013-09-03 11:49 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Pro
Originally posted by noelle1230

It's definitely an inherent risk of racing.  Like Ben said, it wouldn't be that hard to sign up for a race and design a fairly simple scheme to rip off a bike.  Volunteers can check transition, watch the course, etc. but they can't monitor every square inch of the course to see if a racer is taking off with a bike instead of finishing the race.  

I suppose an RD can put some type of plan in place to check that every athlete checked in to race has a bike racked before the race starts but I just don't see that happening, especially at bigger races.

If people want to steal your stuff badly enough, they'll find a way whether it's at a race, in your garage, from your car or from your house.  You just can't safeguard everything you own at every moment.

^ /thread

2013-09-03 11:50 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Champion
Alabama
I can't speak for Canada but in the US, that 'disclaimer' would not hold up. You have a reasonable expectation that your bike is secure and being watched for. Just becuase they posted those rules does not absolve them of liability.

For example, if you post a sign in your front yard that says, "I am not responsible for your well being if you come onto my property" that does not mean you are not liable if someone comes on your property and breaks a leg.

Another example. Ever see a sign on the back of a dump truck that warns of debri falling off the truck that says they are not responsible? Sure they are. They have no right to drive down the road with crap flying off their truck. They are absolutely responsible.

One final example. You check your mink coat at the coat-check of a night club or you check your clothe in the baskets at the public pool. If something comes up missing, they are responsible.

Anyway, I am not a lawyer but have spent some time in court and have had dealings with the legal system. ;-(

If I were the bike owner, I would absolutely file a civil suite and let a judge and/or jury decide if they are liable.

2013-09-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: mtx

User image

Still, most races around here require you to match your race number to the sticker on your bike as you exit. Somersault doesn't do this.

Yes, a thief could still figure out a way to sneak out a bike. But if race officials are doing their job (making sure people wear numbers in the race, etc.) they could be caught.

It's a bit much for the race director to say "it's the athlete's responsibility" but I guess she means that the race director isn't legally responsible if something goes missing. I don't know how the athlete would be expected to otherwise secure their bike.
2013-09-03 11:59 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-09-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Pro
I've seen very few races where I couldn't steal a bike if so inclined.....lucky for all of us that most people aren't bent that way.
2013-09-03 12:12 PM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by RogillioI can't speak for Canada but in the US, that 'disclaimer' would not hold up. You have a reasonable expectation that your bike is secure and being watched for. Just becuase they posted those rules does not absolve them of liability.
. Agree. They have a reasonable expectation of responsibility. So do 'we' the IME owner. The tone of the race organizers response is very defensive, which won't help....

x3.  That defense would be a joke under U.S. law.  It's not something I worry about at races.

2013-09-03 12:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain I've seen very few races where I couldn't steal a bike if so inclined.....lucky for all of us that most people aren't bent that way.

True, but the as Noelle said, that's the case with almost everything in our lives.  You can't keep the dishonest people from being dishonest.  All you can do is make them work harder for it.

Regarding the topic at hand, many races I've done lately have checked for matching body markings and/or wrist bands for bikes going both into and out of transition.  I'd think that it would be easy enough for these same conscientious RD's to post a couple volunteers at the bike out during the race to watch and make sure that everyone riding out had body markings that matched the bike number.  Again, it's not a guarantee, because someone could slap on some fake body markings and grab the matching bike or put a fake number on a bike, but it's still making them work harder for it.

2013-09-03 12:22 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio

Just becuase they posted those rules does not absolve them of liability.  

I have a related question on this for the legal types. At my local YMCA they post in the locker rooms that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. But some are saying they are? How does that work?

I have had a cell phone stolen out of a locker at the YMCA - literally the only time I've forgotten my lock and risked it. Lesson learned.

2013-09-03 12:22 PM

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by Left Brain I've seen very few races where I couldn't steal a bike if so inclined.....lucky for all of us that most people aren't bent that way.

I've known a few people who leave phones, car keys etc in their transition bags. Easy enough to steal more than bikes if someone wanted. While not perfect, there's quite a bit of attention paid to matching bikes to participants in races around here. Transition bags, not so much.  

2013-09-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Pro
Originally posted by TriMyBest

True, but the as Noelle said, that's the case with almost everything in our lives.  You can't keep the dishonest people from being dishonest.  All you can do is make them work harder for it.

Regarding the topic at hand, many races I've done lately have checked for matching body markings and/or wrist bands for bikes going both into and out of transition.  I'd think that it would be easy enough for these same conscientious RD's to post a couple volunteers at the bike out during the race to watch and make sure that everyone riding out had body markings that matched the bike number.  Again, it's not a guarantee, because someone could slap on some fake body markings and grab the matching bike or put a fake number on a bike, but it's still making them work harder for it.

So if that happens do you still think you can hold the race responsible?  What's to stop me from saying someone stole my bike just to get the race to pay?

2013-09-03 12:27 PM
in reply to: 0

Pro

I have a related question on this for the legal types. At my local YMCA they post in the locker rooms that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. But some are saying they are? How does that work?

I have had a cell phone stolen out of a locker at the YMCA - literally the only time I've forgotten my lock and risked it. Lesson learned.

We take a lot of theft reports from health and fitness center locker rooms......I don't know of any cases where victims were reimbursed by the facility. 

No matter what gets posted here.....it's VERY hard to collect for a loss through civil means when the loss involves a property crime.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-09-03 12:31 PM
2013-09-03 12:32 PM

2013-09-03 12:37 PM

2013-09-03 12:44 PM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Left Brain

So if that happens do you still think you can hold the race responsible?  What's to stop me from saying someone stole my bike just to get the race to pay?

LB, you spend enough time on these boards to know that we can come up with all kind of scenarios and speculate on the legal liabilities all day long.  It wasn't my intent to speculate about whether the RD would be liable in that scenario, rather it was to agree that you can't stop someone intent on theft, and threw out two possible methods off the top of my head that would be difficult to protect against.

Regarding saying someone stole your bike just to get the race to pay, we run into that sort of dishonesty occasionally at the gym I work at.  We recently had one member claim another member stole his cell phone, but it turned out that a review of our security camera footage showed that the first member had fabricated the entire thing.  I guess the answer to your question is there is very little stopping someone from making that sort of claim.  I'd imagine it happens fairly regularly.

2013-09-03 12:44 PM

Pro
Originally posted by Fred D

We take a lot of theft reports from health and fitness center locker rooms......I don't know of any cases where victims were reimbursed by the facility. 

No matter what gets posted here.....it's VERY hard to collect for a loss through civil means when the loss involves a crime.

. I love your post 'no matter what gets posted....' You crack me up! Anywho, don't races carry insurance as well for a loss this size? Can the athlete use their homeowners insurance (asking out of ignorant bliss)

Laughing  It just is what it is......I wouldn't want to venture a guess on how many theft reports I've investigated or led investigations of in 30 years....I don't see victims getting reimbursed by the "responsible" entities.  Insurance is a different matter altogether....and the games those companies play could be another discussion.

But yeah.....sue away!

2013-09-03 12:48 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Pro

LB, you spend enough time on these boards to know that we can come up with all kind of scenarios and speculate on the legal liabilities all day long.  It wasn't my intent to speculate about whether the RD would be liable in that scenario, rather it was to agree that you can't stop someone intent on theft, and threw out two possible methods off the top of my head that would be difficult to protect against.

Regarding saying someone stole your bike just to get the race to pay, we run into that sort of dishonesty occasionally at the gym I work at.  We recently had one member claim another member stole his cell phone, but it turned out that a review of our security camera footage showed that the first member had fabricated the entire thing.  I guess the answer to your question is there is very little stopping someone from making that sort of claim.  I'd imagine it happens fairly regularly.

Eh.....I didn't take any offense at all to your post.  I just get tickled when I start reading posts like this where some folks are sure the RD is responsible and you can get remedy through the race.  That would be very rare.  You'd have to be able to prove they were grossly negligent.  One bike stolen out of hundreds or thousands doesn't go very far to prove that.

2013-09-03 12:51 PM

Pro
Bartlett, TN

As I read this, I am thinking you placed it in a locker without a lock????? is that right?  Not sure anyway they could be held responsible there.

2013-09-03 12:53 PM
in reply to: jford2309

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by jford2309

As I read this, I am thinking you placed it in a locker without a lock????? is that right?  Not sure anyway they could be held responsible there.

Right. And I also place my bike in transition without a lock, yet some are saying the race organizers should be held responsible. Maybe an unequal comparison in terms of dollars but the same in theory....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Stopped at the Golden Arches during a 10k race today

Started by Hartamophone
Views: 1861 Posts: 20

2011-05-10 9:53 AM mchubri

Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1346 Posts: 11

2011-01-04 9:29 PM 08M3Sedanski

Severe stomach pain (near hip lines) during 10K race

Started by iOrlando
Views: 797 Posts: 1

2010-11-22 10:41 AM iOrlando

FIRST 10K RACE DURING MARATHON TRAINING

Started by bshehan
Views: 1240 Posts: 9

2006-09-04 9:15 PM bshehan

Not racing during a race

Started by mnewton
Views: 999 Posts: 10

2006-02-01 10:24 AM Nakima
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.