General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon swim team workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-03 2:51 PM

User image

Subject: Triathlon swim team workouts
I am coach of a masters swim team that trains mostly triathletes. I've been competing in open water swims for 25 years and have coached swimming for over 20. I started this team a few years to cater to triathletes interested in getting better at distance freestyle and open water swimmers competing in marathon swims.

A couple months ago, I started to post all the workouts we do on the team. Anyone is welcome to follow at no charge and I am happy to answer any questions about swimming, open water swimming, training, etc...

http://magnoliamasters.com/swim-efficiency/

Best regards,

Tim Floyd
Head Coach Magnolia Masters

2013-09-03 3:02 PM
in reply to: snappingt

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Subject: RE: Triathlon swim team workouts

Bookmarked!!!!

Thanks Tim!

2013-09-03 3:16 PM

User image

NC
Awesome stuff.

2013-09-03 4:03 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Nice. Bookmarked. Like the easy to print workout sheets.
2013-09-04 2:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Great idea for your swimmers to put the workouts up for future reference and inspiration.

I checked a few workouts. Your warm up is pretty consistently:

Swim w. fins
Kick w. fins
Pull

IMHO:

- you should not use swimming aids such as fins or paddles in the warm up, swimmers are not warm yet.
- you should not do kick or pull in the warm up as the "other half" of the body doesn't work out and cool down easily.
- warm up is too long, often 1/3 of the total workout is warmup, you even have a program where more than half was warmup.

I suggest:

- you keep warm up to about 10 minutes for a 60 min. workout
- encourage swimmers to practice all styles

For example:

200 free - as in freedom to choose your style
4x75 IM either leaving out fly or rolling, 1st 75: 25 fly, back, breast, then 2nd 75: 25 crawl, fly, back, etc.

If you want to include kick, do a kick sets, and don't use fins more than 50% of the time. Also, don't change from kick to pull or pull to kick without some easy in between to get the blood flowing again. I personally always do some breast stroke after a pull set before doing some kick.

BR
2013-09-04 6:01 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Welcome to BT, Tim.

Thanks for sharing your workouts!

Mark

2013-09-04 8:24 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Erik,

I appreciate the input. Your points are all valid. But here's why I have gone in a different direction and in my experience why it works better:

- The warm-up needs to be consistent. It's two fold. You are training your body to warm-up and when it's consistent you'll know. Second,
when the swimmer goes away and the coach isn't there, they will have a consistent structure to get warmed-up and know that it works.

- I don't agree with your advice to not use training aids in warm-up. Fins are an essential training tool and work well in warm-up. They take
pressure off your shoulders when you are first starting when the stroke might not be perfect and they give you a little more speed which brings
your body position up in the water. You get a better "feel" for how the body should be in the water, which when you are warming up and want
to get the most out of a main set is key. I rarely use paddles in workout unless I'm trying to get at very specific issues. Consistent use tends to
injure more people than help.

- Kicking is great in warm-up. You use 4x the amount of O2 kicking as you do swimming. It's a great way to get the blood flowing. If you are
trying to warm-up.

- Pulling in warm-up targets the upper body and the pull part of the stroke which is a nice way to cap off the end of the easy part of the warm-up
before I usually have them do some hard swimming to get their heart rate up before the main set.

- I've noticed that a lot of people in the triathlon community don't think warm-up is important or that it should be shortened since you have a
limited amount of time (1 hour or less) in the water. For most people, to get warmed-up, takes on average between 20-30 minutes of swimming.
The workouts I write are trying to get everything out of the main set, since we don't have a lot of time. When I write workouts that are sprint
oriented and high intensity the athlete needs to be ready to go for the main set. Typically, those sets are 1000 or less, but every yard counts. In
my opinion, triathlete warm-up are too short and they end up not being warmed-up when they get to the main set so part of that set is just wasted.

- As a swim coach, I would encourage people to learn other strokes. For triathletes, without swim backgrounds, I have found it to have little utility.
Swimming is a nuero-muscular sport where we are trying to build a very efficient "kinetic chain" in the stroke. When athletes come to me without
a swim background I need all the time I can get to develop efficiency in the stroke and when I get most of them in the water for 3-5 hours a week
spending time on other strokes isn't very valuable and can detract from their freestyle distance training. If we were swimming 15-20 hours a
week, I would be using the other strokes as recovery/garbage yards/warm-up and would completely agree.

- I don't agree with separating kick sets as the only time you kick. I give stand alone kick sets. I give sets where you will swim and kick. I give
sprint sets where the kick is the recovery. In my experience and in what most of the top distance programs in the country do, kicking should be
about 20-25% of the total yardage done in a workout. I agree that after a kick set and before a swim there should be a little easy swimming to
make a transition, but that's an aside on the deck as a coach.

- I don't agree that use of fins should be strictly limited to 50% of the workout. I have beginning swimmers that use fins for the entire workout. It's
typically the only way they can get through an entire workout while holding technique and not injuring themselves. And at the end of the day
that's what it's all about.

Again, appreciate your input and thanks for giving me the opportunity to expand on my philosophy of swim training for triathletes/open water swimmers. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Tim
2013-09-04 8:24 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

You are welcome. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

2013-09-04 9:54 AM

User image

The warm-up needs to be consistent. It's two
fold. You are training your body to warm-up and when it's consistent you'll
know. Second,
- I've noticed that a lot of people in the
triathlon community don't think warm-up is important or that it should be
shortened since you have a limited amount of time (1 hour or less) in the water. For most people, to get
warmed-up, takes on average between 20-30 minutes of swimming.
The workouts I write are trying to get everything out of the main set, since we don't have a lot of time. When I write workouts that are sprint oriented and high intensity the athlete needs to be ready to go for the main
set. Typically, those sets are 1000 or less, but every yard counts. In my opinion, triathlete warm-up are too short and they end up not being warmed-up when they get to the main set so part of that set is just wasted.

But with these longer warm ups are you not essentially training your atheletes to require long warm-ups all the time.  If there is a time shortge why not condition them to be able to go with 5-10 mins of warm-up.  Have you considered race day?  I don't see a lot of time to spend 20-30 mins before a race to warm up for the swim.  I ask because I can't remember any program I was in having a warm-up longer then 500yds.  Then again my memory is a little hazy.

Swimming is a nuero-muscular sport where we are
trying to build a very efficient "kinetic chain" in the stroke

Again leading to a shorter warm-up.

spending time on other strokes isn't very
valuable and can detract from their freestyle distance training. If we were
swimming 15-20 hours a week, I would be using the other strokes as recovery/garbage yards/warm-up and
would completely agree

If I only have a short period in the pool I will often do a recovery set of back/breast rather then resting.  Saves time and adds yards in a shortened period.  Also helps build shoulder strength.  What's considered garbage yards?

Thanks for the links to your workouts.  Just curious how you feel about the above?

2013-09-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Pro

I would argue that you're not training your athletes to require a longer warm-up... you're giving them a proper warm-up so that they can perform better in the main set. 

My masters practice is about ~3000m. We warm up about 600m-800m. 

In college, it was about ~6000yd. We warmed up 1000yd.

This is not time wasted, at all. On race day, I go by feel, because I know what a properly warmed-up body feels like.

"Saves time and adds yards in a shortened period." <- that could be garbage yardage. What's the goal of your workout? I generally do a lot of active recovery, but it will be after a full set, or perhaps 100m placed in between harder efforts. But, these will be freestyle, generally, and the purpose is to keep the body warm and moving, but allow HR to return to closer to normal, so that the next hard effort can be done effectively.... not so I can log XXX more yards.

Garbage Yardage to me is generally sets like 100x100 because it's your birthday. Or Christmas. You CAN plan workouts like that to be specific and beneficial, but generally, stuff like that isn't done with a purpose other than to do it.

2013-09-04 10:33 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks so much! I'm always trying to find a workout or figure something to do in the pool. I live about 1.5 hours from the nearest masters team.

jami

2013-09-04 10:42 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I would argue that you're not training your athletes to require a longer warm-up... you're giving them a proper warm-up so that they can perform better in the main set. 

But aren't you saying you were conditioned to need a longer warm up?  As I mentioned I do not remember long warm ups in AG/HS/college.  Today I typically warm-up 200-400yrds.

However, I couldn't agree more on Christmas.  I'm sure someone could disagree but when someone says let's do Christmas I kind of cringe.

2013-09-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Master
Northern IL

This is not time wasted, at all. On race day, I go by feel, because I know what a properly warmed-up body feels like.

"Saves time and adds yards in a shortened period." could be garbage yardage. What's the goal of your workout? I generally do a lot of active recovery, but it will be after a full set, or perhaps 100m placed in between harder efforts. But, these will be freestyle, generally, and the purpose is to keep the body warm and moving, but allow HR to return to closer to normal, so that the next hard effort can be done effectively.... not so I can log XXX more yards.

Garbage Yardage to me is generally sets like 100x100 because it's your birthday. Or Christmas. You CAN plan workouts like that to be specific and beneficial, but generally, stuff like that isn't done with a purpose other than to do it.

Yes, learn how to warm-up well and have better workouts from that. If a race is coming up that will not allow for a good warm-up (or none at all) then work on this leading up to that race, but not for the majority of the time. Make yourself into the best swimmer possible and do race specific things leading into that race.

2013-09-04 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by MLPFS

But aren't you saying you were conditioned to need a longer warm up?  As I mentioned I do not remember long warm ups in AG/HS/college.  Today I typically warm-up 200-400yrds.

However, I couldn't agree more on Christmas.  I'm sure someone could disagree but when someone says let's do Christmas I kind of cringe.

Not "conditioned to need a longer warm-up"... in a perfect world, we'd all warm up a TON for swim, bike and run! But, we don't. Mostly due to time constraints...

BUT, in swimming you have ZERO points of contact. You get little to no feedback from anything (road, pedals, handlebars, etc) to get you into the proper form, or alert you if your form is falling apart. A longer warm-up is important.

I'm not sure where the negative connotation on this point is coming from, but I do not feel that I'm conditioned either way... I feel like I'm swimming smart and managing my time wisely. And, even if an athlete is "conditioned" for a longer warm-up, is that bad? I think not.

2013-09-04 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
When the workout states : 4 x 50 swim @ 55/1:00/1:05, what pace do I use?
2013-09-04 11:22 AM

User image

Warm-up is warm-up. I wish it could happen quicker. But it takes about 20-30 minutes to warm-up. That's what the body requires. I do consider race day and that's where triathlons are messed up. There is no swim warm-up. Although, I think that is going to change with the deaths that are occurring during the swim. One of the causes of SIPE (Swimming Induced Pulmonary Edema) that has been identified is lack of warm-up before the race. I would suggest if you don't have access to warm-up in the water before the race to run, stretch and bring some stretch cords to use before the start.

I swim 3-4x a week with a top ranked pro triathlete and he tells me about how he feels in the swim on race day and it's the exact description of someone that hasn't gotten enough warm-up. His coach gives short warm-ups to try to "train" for race day. It doesn't work. All it does is take away from being able to get the most out of the time in the water during training. When I competed in triathlons and open water swim, if I didn't warm-up my swims would be off. I would suggest try some of the workouts that I have put together, swim them and see how you feel when you get to the main set and see if your times in training are any better.

In the second quote, about the kinetic chain, I was referring to efficiency of the stroke and that happens best after warm-up during a hard set where the swimmer is under load for an extended period of time holding the technique together. It is something separate from warm-up.

I consider garbage yards to be anything that doesn't impact conditioning/strength in a significant way. For instance, warm-up is largely garbage yards. It's doesn't have a significant impact on your conditioning in the water. It's yardage that we have to do to be able to do a main set effectively. If I am a coaching a group of swimmers in a 2 hour+ workout, I'll through in some yardage that dials back the intensity or works on technique in preparation for the next hard set. That's garbage yardage.

In terms of other strokes, if you don't have a lot of time and you want to get in the water that works. I'll throw in some backstroke from time to time simply because it's a long axis stroke like freestyle and can provide some good recovery from a lot of freestyle. But as a focus and on a daily basis I think it's more effective to get your efficiency through freestyle.

Tim

2013-09-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: Six13

User image

Good question. I have a large group that I coach and I will typically have upwards of 6 different workouts going on in the pool all at the same time. So those different intervals (50/55/1:00) are the different ability levels in the pool. So typically, a 50 second interval for a 50 would be someone that can hold 1:30 or better for a 100. 55 would be 1:40 or better and a minute would be 1:50-1:55 or better. If those intervals don't work then add 5-10 seconds to the 1:00 interval. And this is where it is very important to know your 100 pace. All of the workouts I write are based on my understanding of the pace of the athletes that I work with. When I know that I can really target their training to get the most out of their time in the pool.

Tim
2013-09-04 11:33 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Thanks for the workouts and your explanations.  Am hoping the coach & group I start swimming with this Saturday work as well as it sounds like yours would for me.  I share many of your philisophies--even if I lack much of your ability.
2013-09-04 11:38 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by snappingt Good question. I have a large group that I coach and I will typically have upwards of 6 different workouts going on in the pool all at the same time. So those different intervals (50/55/1:00) are the different ability levels in the pool. So typically, a 50 second interval for a 50 would be someone that can hold 1:30 or better for a 100. 55 would be 1:40 or better and a minute would be 1:50-1:55 or better. If those intervals don't work then add 5-10 seconds to the 1:00 interval. And this is where it is very important to know your 100 pace. All of the workouts I write are based on my understanding of the pace of the athletes that I work with. When I know that I can really target their training to get the most out of their time in the pool. Tim

Just to elaborate on that to get a sense for how 'hard' the sets are intended to be, how do you define the 100 time?  An 'all-out' 100? A pace you could hold for (x) x 100 on (y) rest?  Something else?  Thanks.

2013-09-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

I saw on your profile that you have a 1000m TT at 15:44 or about 1:35/100m pace. And just to be clear, was it long course meters (50m pool), short course meters (25m pool) or short course yards(25 yard pool). Without knowing exactly, I'll assume long course meters, so that would put you about 1:28-1:30/100yd pace. So for you, I would use the 55 second interval for the 50s. I don't know exactly what workout you are referencing for the 4x50s but I will assume it's part of the descends at the end of the warm-up. Start out swimming a pace of around 46-47 for the first 50, 42-43 for the second, 39-40 for the third and 35-36 for the last one.
2013-09-04 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

Originally posted by snappingt Good question. I have a large group that I coach and I will typically have upwards of 6 different workouts going on in the pool all at the same time. So those different intervals (50/55/1:00) are the different ability levels in the pool. So typically, a 50 second interval for a 50 would be someone that can hold 1:30 or better for a 100. 55 would be 1:40 or better and a minute would be 1:50-1:55 or better. If those intervals don't work then add 5-10 seconds to the 1:00 interval. And this is where it is very important to know your 100 pace. All of the workouts I write are based on my understanding of the pace of the athletes that I work with. When I know that I can really target their training to get the most out of their time in the pool. Tim

Thanks Tim,

What I've found that works with time based intervals is knowing what "effort level" I should swim them.  There is a big difference if a coach gives me 100's on 1:40 "all out" and 100's on 1:40 at 80%.

You know your athletes, but for us borrowing your workouts it would be helpful. Smile

2013-09-04 11:50 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by snappingt I saw on your profile that you have a 1000m TT at 15:44 or about 1:35/100m pace. And just to be clear, was it long course meters (50m pool), short course meters (25m pool) or short course yards(25 yard pool). Without knowing exactly, I'll assume long course meters, so that would put you about 1:28-1:30/100yd pace. So for you, I would use the 55 second interval for the 50s. I don't know exactly what workout you are referencing for the 4x50s but I will assume it's part of the descends at the end of the warm-up. Start out swimming a pace of around 46-47 for the first 50, 42-43 for the second, 39-40 for the third and 35-36 for the last one.

Unfortunately, my swimming is currently a bit 'stale' and I would guess a 1000TT today would give me an avg. pace closer to low-mid 1:40s (hopefully can 'fix' that in several weeks time)--short course meters.

It was someone else who mentioned a specific workout.  I just thought it was a good question to get a better idea about how much any specific set in your workouts should 'hurt'.  :-)

2013-09-04 11:59 AM
in reply to: blbriley

User image

Good point. In general, I would assume the following: when the set is noted as swim I would typically make the interval. On most of these sets the interval is going to be your guide on pace. I use the pace clock like a bike coach uses a power meter since they are effectively the same thing. When I have it notated "sprint" or "fast" or " hold best effort" that would be an all out effort. I do employ pace (xx%) from time to time if I'm trying to get at something very specific. But generally go by the interval. It's the best guide to the effort needed for that specific set. I also employ descend and ascend sets a lot to get at the importance of pacing.

But as I said, if you have any questions about the workouts I am happy to help out.

You can email me directly at tim at magnoliamasters dot com.

Thanks for your interest.

Tim
2013-09-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

It was a great question. Typically, I've found that the view within the triathlon community is to train swimming like distance running and it's, in my experience, one of the reasons that triathletes struggle with the swim. For swimming, if you want to do well and be efficient in the water, you need to train hard and it should hurt a lot.

If you are 1:40+ now, I would still keep it around 55 interval or maybe 1:00 for the first couple weeks back and then go to 55.

Tim
2013-09-04 12:09 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by snappingt

Typically, I've found that the view within the triathlon community is to train swimming like distance running and it's, in my experience, one of the reasons that triathletes struggle with the swim.

Oddly enough, there's a sizable group in the triathlon community who think they should train distance running like swimming.  But I get your point.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon swim team workouts Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

The Daily Swim - FREE SWIMMING WORKOUTS

Started by Boost Swimming
Views: 1300 Posts: 2

2013-02-25 1:34 PM LarchmontTri

swimming in a team tri

Started by kmstig
Views: 845 Posts: 7

2010-07-01 3:05 PM kmstig

Help me swim faster - recommend a swim workout

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1133 Posts: 4

2009-08-28 10:05 AM tkd.teacher

Swim Workout Frequency and Swim Times

Started by Ershk
Views: 905 Posts: 3

2009-06-16 10:37 AM famelec

Swim: team drafting - Cheating

Started by misscullen
Views: 1757 Posts: 24

2007-01-31 6:30 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : TriGuyCoaching
comments : 2
When you head to the pool for a swim workout, do you ever wonder what you should be doing?

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : May 21, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, we’re doing slightly fewer drills and slightly more distance. Focus on completing the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.