General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help Best Electrolyte Supplement? not a sports drink. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-03 8:19 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Need help Best Electrolyte Supplement? not a sports drink.
Guys

On my last event i encountered a problem. I only packed Gatorade. In the middle of my bike i started having transient tolerable stomach pains i stopped drinking Gatorade a few miles then my legs started cramping. I tried to drink gatorade again and my tummy problems continued , better than leg cramps. On th run i just drank water no electrolytes for a while i held on until my tummy problems subsided again my calves started cramping and i have no choice but to drink gatorade.

I need your advice can i live the race without any sports drink? water and electrolyte supplement only? whats the best electrolyte supplement?
I read Endurolyte is one of them.

Any information is most helpful.

Thanks

Edited by strykergt 2013-09-03 8:43 PM

2013-09-03 8:33 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Need help Best Electrolyte Supplement? not a sports drink.
I like salt stick - has higher sodium which for hot races is good
2013-09-03 8:38 PM

User image

Have you used gatorade with success in training?

My first thought was that you were going too hard on the bike for your stomach to digest anything, thus causing the stomach issues, and then the cramping.

It could very well be that your stomach would prefer something other than gatorade at that high of an effort level, but I seriously doubt it would prevent your leg cramps as that's more a sign of pushing harder than your fitness.

2013-09-03 8:48 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Austin
i use nuun, its fantastic!
2013-09-03 8:49 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Jason N

My first thought was that you were going too hard on the bike for your stomach to digest anything, thus causing the stomach issues, and then the cramping.

It could very well be that your stomach would prefer something other than gatorade at that high of an effort level, but I seriously doubt it would prevent your leg cramps as that's more a sign of pushing harder than your fitness.

fitness is another issue, have not done quite a bit of brick training before the event
2013-09-03 9:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

fitness is another issue, have not done quite a bit of brick training before the event

The brick workout that most people ignore that is extremely important is the swim to bike brick.  I'm guilty of ignoring this brick as well.  It's important not that we need to learn how to bike after we swim, but rather how to pace ourselves in the first 5-10 minutes of the bike.  When you go from swimming to biking, your going from an arm focused workout to a leg focused one.  Your bloodflow goes from horizontal (your body is flat while swimming) to vertical while biking. 

This tends to send your HR sky high and we get so much adrenaline pumping when we get on our bike that we tend to overcook it and dig ourselves into a deep hole.  A HRM or power meter can help you keep yourself in check, but most new athletes going by just RPE (effort) feed off too much adrenaline at the start of the bike.

2013-09-03 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Check out Skratch Labs. I have no problems with it, and I have a very sensitive stomach when it comes to absolutely everything (no gatorade, no nuun, no perform).
2013-09-03 9:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by mindy00

Check out Skratch Labs. I have no problems with it, and I have a very sensitive stomach when it comes to absolutely everything (no gatorade, no nuun, no perform).

Mindy

now that you mentioned it inside the store my eye seems catch that bag of powder all the time might give it a try.

thanks

Edited by strykergt 2013-09-03 9:12 PM
2013-09-03 9:10 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergt

The brick workout that most people ignore that is extremely important is the swim to bike brick.  I'm guilty of ignoring this brick as well.  It's important not that we need to learn how to bike after we swim, but rather how to pace ourselves in the first 5-10 minutes of the bike.  When you go from swimming to biking, your going from an arm focused workout to a leg focused one.  Your bloodflow goes from horizontal (your body is flat while swimming) to vertical while biking. 

This tends to send your HR sky high and we get so much adrenaline pumping when we get on our bike that we tend to overcook it and dig ourselves into a deep hole.  A HRM or power meter can help you keep yourself in check, but most new athletes going by just RPE (effort) feed off too much adrenaline at the start of the bike.

i hear ya thanks
2013-09-03 10:26 PM

User image

Pro

yeah, the Skratch labs stuff is pretty good.  not as sugary as Gatorade, but still has some.

or, the Nuun tabs are pretty popular.

2013-09-03 10:47 PM
in reply to: mindy00

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by mindy00 Check out Skratch Labs. I have no problems with it, and I have a very sensitive stomach when it comes to absolutely everything (no gatorade, no nuun, no perform).

This

2013-09-03 11:17 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Gatorade sucks. I like Salt Sticks for long rides/runs and races (I live in AZ and these work best), Endurolytes (Hammer) tabs that dissolve in water for post training.
2013-09-04 6:39 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I absolutely agree about Skratch labs - it is awesome. I cannot tolerate gatorade at all - it bounces out of my stomach even in running races. Skratch labs I tolerate no problem.

Salt stick is a way to get more elytes in hot races from a reputable company whose manufacturing processes have not been called into question.

EFS products are also extremely well made - though I find the drink hard to take when training - can take it at other times. I love the liquid gel though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help Best Electrolyte Supplement? not a sports drink. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

best sports drink??? Pages: 1 2

Started by GraceVanOwen
Views: 4699 Posts: 31

2011-06-11 6:40 PM wgreentree

Best organic/natural sports drink

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 3633 Posts: 23

2014-12-12 3:58 PM Quix

Calves cramping - Do I need supplements or not?

Started by dtrimmer
Views: 1214 Posts: 21

2009-07-10 10:09 PM jessm

Electrolyte supplements best value?

Started by chevy57
Views: 1264 Posts: 7

2009-01-06 12:20 PM jszat

to supplement or not to supplement Pages: 1 2

Started by trophytaker
Views: 2704 Posts: 26

2008-03-04 9:13 AM Concretechris
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.
date : February 22, 2010
"What are the current ideas on supplements for the triathlete?" This article will give you some real food options for many of the important nutrients.

date : May 6, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
While there is a time and a place for engineered sports foods, many athletes needlessly waste a lot of money misusing them. The purpose of this article is to help you become an informed consumer.
date : February 23, 2009
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : June 17, 2008
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.