General Discussion Race Reports! » Ontario Women's Triathlon - Milton Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ontario Women's Triathlon - Milton Sprint - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milton, Ontario
Canada
Ontario Women's Triathlon Series
24C / 75F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 19s
Overall Rank = 73/116
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 25/35
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5, coffee, PB and banana on bread. Made breakfast to go for my support crew and got the car packed. Then got everyone up and piled into the car. Timmies stop for the hubby.
Event warmup:

Breakfast wasn't sitting especially well.. I was a little anxious going into this one as training for the last month hadn't gone the way I had planned. I spent about 10 minutes in the water prior to start getting used to the water and finding my rhythm. We had to clear the lake prior... got a little chilly with the wind. Realized I didn't like how my shirt moved around when I swam. Oh well!
Swim
  • 20m 20s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

Fastest swim yet. Didn't find my ideal rhythm and ended up breathing every two strokes for most of the race. Was able to put to use some of the corrections my coach has made. Sighting was spot on. Cornering was perfect. Kept pace with another racer for 90% of the course. It being such a small race, was able to keep lots of room to myself.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to work the strength on the stroke and conditioning to improve swimming speed next season.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time mashed into bike time. I was pretty dizzy and had someone right beside me, so this was a bit slower than normal, but I didn't waste any time in T1.

Figure out how to reduce dizziness
Bike
  • 45m 12s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.55 km/hr
Comments:

T1 and T2 mashed into bike time. Hips were so tight getting going on the bike. Was worried that I went too hard on the initial flat section, but things went quite well in the hills. The second half of the course was just epic for being a heavier rider. Had difficulty with a particular rider in front of me who would not ride a straight line, making passing/pacing difficult as I couldn't stay behind her and couldn't pass her.

Not much... gearing up the hills went great and the downhills were fab. I tend to overspend on the bike to make up for my craptacular run to come... try to make up as much ground as I can.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Missed my rack, so i put my bike in from the bad side. Had a time getting legs up to speed for the run. Also had a momentary "where is the run exit?" moment.

Landmark my rack prior to the race.
Run
  • 33m 47s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 46s  min/km
Comments:

Oh hell, this was hard. The steep hill was so steep, i could actually walk up faster than run, so I walked. Once up the hills, a nice gentle down/up/down to get some decent recovery. On the second loop, I was passed by at least 10 women in my age. Lost so many places here. But just kept pushing to be happy with my efforts.

More bricks to get the initial momentum going. Again, running is a weakness, so continue to improve stamina and strength over the winter to be able to push more to the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Not too much... hips were so tight. Had to keep walking and never really got a chance to stretch well with my kid clammouring to get her race underway, and to get to the food tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strength and stamina. Have made great progress this year, but with less weight next year, this should be even better. Winter focus: swim technique and run stamina and strength.

Event comments:

A good race... its small and not part of a big organization so in that regards, this was well done. But only 5 portapotties for an "All Women's Race"??? seriously... bring your own TP next time. Had a free kids run after the women finished which was fantastic. Not a fantastic location to keep a young family occupied, but a great location for a race.

Last updated: 2013-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:20 | 750 meters | 02m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 87/116
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Square course, turns to the right across a flat lake. Perfect conditions.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:12 | 20 kms | 26.55 km/hr
Overall: 34/116
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hellishly uphill for the first half. Fabulously downhill for the second half. Long slow hills with flats in between the slopes. Lots of fresh pavement, which was wonderful for the high-speed downhill sections. Got squished into single track lanes for the last 500m or so into the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:47 | 05 kms | 06m 46s  min/km
Overall: 89/116
Course: Two-loop course with the most unbelievable uphill I have ever seen, followed by a more gradual uphill, then a very gradual downhill to a steep downhill, steep uphill, then across the dam to turn around for #2.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-03 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: Ontario Women's Triathlon - Milton Sprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ontario Women's Triathlon - Milton Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton Super Sprint

Started by leonardj
Views: 590 Posts: 1

2011-09-05 9:29 AM leonardj

Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton (Sprint)

Started by mbasta
Views: 1783 Posts: 8

2010-09-07 9:58 AM mbasta

Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton (Sprint)

Started by TriCan
Views: 799 Posts: 2

2010-09-07 9:52 AM juniperjen

Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton

Started by juniperjen
Views: 1432 Posts: 2

2009-09-08 12:30 PM kimmax

Milton Ontario Women's Triathlon Series

Started by neweyma
Views: 1025 Posts: 1

2007-07-14 9:35 AM neweyma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : September 10, 2007
author : tripastor
comments : 2
Triathlon serves up many humbling moments. The most humbling of days came not during a race day but by email. I had been invited to participate in the Rambling Rose Women’s Only Triathlon. Wow.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.