General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
Hy-Vee Triathlon
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 14s
Overall Rank = 317/596
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/27
Event warmup:

Nothing. Watched the Pros and Elites start. Ate two gels about 30-ish minutes before my wave.
Swim
  • 31m 50s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Holy crap, this was just about the worst swim of my short career.
It was roughly 200m to the first turn buoy, and before I was even half way to it I could see that I was being left in the dust by everyone else. I'm honestly not sure how or where I went wrong, but seeing my time - I just don't know WTF happened. I was 6 minutes slower than AG Nats. Does a wetsuit make THAT much of a difference???
What would you do differently?:

Go Fasterrrr!!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

No wetsuit on the swim means no suit to fight in T1. Yay!
I think that I executed this one pretty well. I could have moved faster and this is definitely a place where not having shoes pre-clipped added time.

Not much. I'm content with this one, and my time compares favorably to others in the event.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Driving this course the day before, I was kinda like "WTF??". It looked hilly as hell on the further out parts near the airport. During the race, however, it turned out that we had tailwinds to help us up those hills when heading out, and the headwinds on the way back didn't seem too terrible. Screwed up one downhill because I mistakenly thought we had to make a 90-degree turn at the bottom of it when we actually went straight. I didn't realize it until I was halfway down, so I lost a little momentum there by not taking it as fast as I could have.

At one point, on the biggest individual climb of the course on the way out, there was a group of spectators in costumes, with signs, cow bells, etc... on my way up the hill I high fived a guy dressed in a Gumby costume, the CleanBottle guy, and some other random stranger. It was a lot of fun :)

Overall, I executed fairly well in terms of staying within myself and not burning out. I approached the entire race as "a training day with a finisher's medal", so to be kind of taking it easy a little bit and still turn in this time, I am pleased.

I need to re-think my Perpetuem use, however, as I had Perpetuem burps on the run. I don't know if it was too many calories, or drinking too late into the bike... but it tasted nasty the second time around.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Did not take my feet out of the shoes on the bike, so I gave up some time there.
Helmet came off and shoes went on quick. The race belt was slow going on, but that's it. Grabbed my little handheld water bottle and headed to Run Out.

Nothing. It was a HUGE transition area, so this time isn't all that terrible.
Run
  • 52m 8s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my best run, but not my worst, either. I would actually call this average for me, lately.
For as much as the Run is where I continue to put in the most work in what little training I do, this is where I seem to continue to need the most work.

Given my goals for the day, however, I'm quite ok with this. I executed a bike & run that, while not OLY fast, I think I can replicate the efforts this weekend at my Half.... which is a far more important goal for me.

I need to start doing race-pace work. I think that I've kinda hit a plateau with Zone 2 stuff.
Post race
Warm down:

The amount of food and schwag at this event was absolutely incredible. Fresh fruit, ice cream, ice cold drinks, and a whole tent area full of vendors giving away stuff. I grabbed my finishers medal and some water and then headed for a free massage. After that, I was all about methodically hitting every vendor for a few samples of whatever they were giving away :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I knew going into this event that I wasn't an actual competitor, so I took a longer view toward Rev3 CP this coming weekend, and beyond to B2B full, and instead chose to treat this event as a training day.

Perhaps in some future year I might get back to this event and be better suited to actually compete, but if nothing else, it was a great first-class experience.

Event comments:

Race start was delayed due to some freakish weather blowing through early on.

Volunteers were EVERYWHERE. Local crowd support was fantastic!

Last updated: 2013-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:50 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 22/27
Overall: 362/596
Performance: Bad
Suit: No Wetsuit
Course: J-Hook shaped point-to-point
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:05 | 24.85 miles | 21.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/27
Overall: 251/596
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Single loop with lots of big rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 73
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:08 | 06.2 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/27
Overall: 387/596
Performance: Average
Course: Single loop, very flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-04 2:23 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship

2013-09-04 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4846845

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship
Nice work out there Chris. We probably saw each other a few times and didn't realize it. I had people saying hello to me that I had no idea who they were. There were quite a few people there from Kansas, I think a lot more people remember me than I do them. Agree, great SWAG, great race. Maybe see you there next year.
2013-09-04 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sometimes it's nice to race when you know you're not going for a PR.

Good luck with your 70.3 if you haven't done it yet.
2013-09-04 9:54 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

As one who can only dream of going that fast, I can saw this without reservation... Great job Chris!!  Laughing

2013-09-05 9:39 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Everyone I've talked to said that the swim was sooooo slooooow.  I did not know how wetsuit dependent I was until this race.  It was still a fun race though.  The rain added a little element of distraction to a way to early morning, but we all had a great day to compete.

Most memorable moments:  Gumby for sure.  Guy wearing a speedo, cape, drinking PBR, asking me to "tag him in".  The guys on the run handing out weddng cake.  Some guy also was racing me on his Schwinn Fixie up a hill.  He was on the grass and I think drunk, but hell, it was awesome.

See you next year maybe!!

Matt

2013-09-05 10:27 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Everyone I've talked to said that the swim was sooooo slooooow.  I did not know how wetsuit dependent I was until this race.  It was still a fun race though.  The rain added a little element of distraction to a way to early morning, but we all had a great day to compete.

Most memorable moments:  Gumby for sure.  Guy wearing a speedo, cape, drinking PBR, asking me to "tag him in".  The guys on the run handing out weddng cake.  Some guy also was racing me on his Schwinn Fixie up a hill.  He was on the grass and I think drunk, but hell, it was awesome.

See you next year maybe!!

Matt

The rain that morning was CRAZY!  When the automatic door at the hotel entrance opened as I was walking out, I was blasted by what looked and felt like a hurricane!  I was pretty much amazed that no bike racks were blown over and my bike was where I left it.

The folks in costume on that hill, and the people on the run course partying with the boombox on the one bridge were great!  So much fun and it was great to be in a frame of mind where I could have fun with all of them and not be all "serious" focused.

Hope to see all of you there next year, for sure! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship

Started by mroger82
Views: 1574 Posts: 3

2011-09-09 10:39 AM tuwood

Started by lrunfit
Views: 1749 Posts: 3

2011-09-12 10:13 AM bscharff

Started by robfornoff
Views: 2090 Posts: 3

2011-09-09 10:37 AM tuwood

Started by markcdaniels
Views: 1873 Posts: 3

2011-09-07 7:39 AM gamecom17

Started by CPT K
Views: 1436 Posts: 2

2011-09-05 1:32 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).