Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What is your Niad? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-06 8:00 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Subject: RE: What is your Niad?
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by danimal123 The thing about having a huge goal is that when it's over, you're left feeling sort of lost and purposeless for awhile. Sure there's always other things to do and bigger fish to fry, but sometimes when you get done doing something that you've been focused on for literally years, the thought of devoting that much time and energy to another goal is too much to grasp, but having no goal is just as bad. Not to say we shouldn't have goals, but when your life is focused on accomplishing one thing for a few years, when it's done, you're left feeling a bit adrift. Our accomplishments aren't even in this arena, but this was observed by a lot of the guys who went to the moon. On the one hand, it was awesome, they did something no human had ever done. On the other hand quite a number of them were haunted for decades knowing that no matter what else they did for the rest of their lives, nothing would ever "top" walking on the moon. Everything was sort of a letdown....some of them developed drinking problems, some marriages broke up, some couldn't hold a job. Alright, morbid post ending. Carry on.

I had no idea there were so many people who walked on the moon.

Twelve. The problems mentioned aren't mutually exclusive of each other.

2013-09-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Pro
Originally posted by danimal123

Originally posted by danimal123 The thing about having a huge goal is that when it's over, you're left feeling sort of lost and purposeless for awhile. Sure there's always other things to do and bigger fish to fry, but sometimes when you get done doing something that you've been focused on for literally years, the thought of devoting that much time and energy to another goal is too much to grasp, but having no goal is just as bad. Not to say we shouldn't have goals, but when your life is focused on accomplishing one thing for a few years, when it's done, you're left feeling a bit adrift. Our accomplishments aren't even in this arena, but this was observed by a lot of the guys who went to the moon. On the one hand, it was awesome, they did something no human had ever done. On the other hand quite a number of them were haunted for decades knowing that no matter what else they did for the rest of their lives, nothing would ever "top" walking on the moon. Everything was sort of a letdown....some of them developed drinking problems, some marriages broke up, some couldn't hold a job. Alright, morbid post ending. Carry on.

I had no idea there were so many people who walked on the moon.

Twelve. The problems mentioned aren't mutually exclusive of each other.

Exactly

2013-09-06 4:05 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Originally posted by Kido

I just remembered on.

Race Across the Sky - The Leadville 100 mile MTB race.  It looks sick.  I'm more daunted by that than an IM by FAR.

It is SICK. I have failed to finish, twice. So, in the spirit of Nyad's history of try and try again, I want to finish Leadville.

2013-09-06 4:23 PM
in reply to: grizzlyclyde

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by grizzlyclyde
Originally posted by Kido

I just remembered on.

Race Across the Sky - The Leadville 100 mile MTB race.  It looks sick.  I'm more daunted by that than an IM by FAR.

It is SICK. I have failed to finish, twice. So, in the spirit of Nyad's history of try and try again, I want to finish Leadville.

Isn't the entry lottery in a couple months?  I guess I will try again.

2013-09-06 5:21 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert

Just staying active for as long as possible is enough for me on the athletic side.  I have never set goals in that regard....it's enough to be able to keep playing.

Raising happy adults on the other end.  Really.....everything I do for my own life shrinks down to nothing compared to that.

Good stuff. I've never set big goals, but I've always been open to new challenges. They always just kinda fall into my lap. I think if one puts their heart into whatever they do, they will live a fulfilled life. 

My mom never travelled till she was 60. Since then she's been all over the world. She's the coolest most loving person I have ever known. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What is your Niad? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

So am I an idiot or am I an idiot... Pages: 1 2

Started by crazyyella
Views: 1972 Posts: 27

2009-08-31 9:34 AM CerveloP2K

T1 + prosthesis = I am a wuzz

Started by clflgrl
Views: 1090 Posts: 7

2005-05-03 10:46 AM clflgrl

How stoked am I???

Started by madcow
Views: 1399 Posts: 13

2005-04-17 2:01 PM alanna_bologna

I am heart broken.... Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMommy
Views: 2941 Posts: 43

2004-09-07 6:04 PM scuba-punk

what am i going to do!

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 878 Posts: 8

2004-07-29 9:20 AM tractoral
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.