General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Sprained Ankle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-04 9:18 PM

User image

, California
Subject: Training with Sprained Ankle
ARGGGGG. I sprained my ankle pretty well doing a mud run 2 weeks ago. The bugger is taking its time healing and my first tri is October 19th.
I have only been swimming and biking since I want to continue to workout but I am not sure if it is impeding the healing process. The bike feels good and the swim is OK but by the end of the day it is aching and swollen.

Sooooo..... should I lay off it for a few days and hope it will get better once and for all but sacrifice some fitness - or continue to workout only on the bike? It is my first sprain and I am not sure how long these things take to heal. I have been training steadily so I am very anxious about losing any headway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

2013-09-04 9:51 PM
in reply to: Trbilbao

Subject: RE: Training with Sprained Ankle
How bad is the swelling? How bad is the pain? Does it affect your gait?

I tend to twist mine all the time. Sometimes on runs, sometimes while just walking from the lot to the store.
If I twist it during a run, I can walk it off and be back to good after a few minutes of swearing and crying.

On the other hand, I did mine so bad once (skateboarding), that it took me months to be able to feel confident to take the trainers tape off just to walk.

Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevation. and if you are not opposed, some ibuprofin helps the pain/swelling. I've heard that the less you RICE, the longer it will take to heal and possibly be a chronic injury. When you get done with your workouts put the ice to it as soon as possible and get off your feet.

3 days and give 'er a test run. 5-7 days to be sure. If it's really bad then rest it up while getting some major yards in the pool.
2013-09-04 10:00 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

, California
Originally posted by skibummer

How bad is the swelling? How bad is the pain? Does it affect your gait?

I tend to twist mine all the time. Sometimes on runs, sometimes while just walking from the lot to the store.
If I twist it during a run, I can walk it off and be back to good after a few minutes of swearing and crying.

On the other hand, I did mine so bad once (skateboarding), that it took me months to be able to feel confident to take the trainers tape off just to walk.

Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevation. and if you are not opposed, some ibuprofin helps the pain/swelling. I've heard that the less you RICE, the longer it will take to heal and possibly be a chronic injury. When you get done with your workouts put the ice to it as soon as possible and get off your feet.

3 days and give 'er a test run. 5-7 days to be sure. If it's really bad then rest it up while getting some major yards in the pool.

Thanks for the advice I think I will have to take the time off. I have been following the RICE plan- The hardest part is the R and keeping off my feet. It is a pretty good sprain still swollen and colorful. I usually bounce back from minor injuries pretty quickly and rarely give them a thought. This one is frustrating me and I may have to just suck it up and stay off it for a while and train harder when it heals.
2013-09-05 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
I had a high ankle sprain last year - it took a long time to heal. I could bike as long as I didn't stand or push too hard. Swim was just with a pull buoy. I wasn't able to run at all for several months. I could speed walk. When I started running again, I was limited to just a couple of minutes of running at a time. I had a good sports chiro that I went to. Without him, I don't know what I would have done.

Good luck!
Renee
2013-09-05 11:24 PM
in reply to: BloomingRunner

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
A sprained ankle can take a long time to fully recover. I did a number on one of mine a few years ago and I don't think it was completely right for at least a year.

I was in a walking boot for about 6 weeks and was able to return to a very slow and very careful jog shortly after that. It was actually jogging after the ankle injury that got me hooked on running in the first place since jogging was the only thing I could think of that didn't put lateral strain on the ankle.
2013-09-06 1:14 AM
in reply to: JZig

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I would just train swimmingmif I was you, using arms only, that way you still get a work out and rest your ankle at the same time. Boring but necessary. Hopes it get better soon

2013-09-06 6:55 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Lay off until you can run without altering your gait.  You don't want to hurt anything else.

I sprained an ankle about as bad as you can (without breaking something) about 7 weeks before Boulder Peak Tri back in 2006.  I couldn't even put any weight on the darn thing for 4 days...it was a really bad sprain.  I didn't run at all between that sprain and the race.  I didn't swim without a pull buoy for probably close to a month.

The day of the race I had medical tape it up.  Exact conversation from the med tent as he's manipulating my ankle:

Him: "How long ago did you sprain this?"
Me: "Seven weeks, am I gonna live?"
Him: "You aren't going to be a happy camper tonight."
Me: "Just tape it."

I lived and actually had a really good run (other than the pain in the ankle...cardio wise I was fine).  If you can continue to swim and bike you will maintain a lot more of your fitness thank you think.  You are better off letting it heal than pushing too fast and hurting it more.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Sprained Ankle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training on a level 3 sprained ankle

Started by KCbeginner
Views: 3263 Posts: 11

2011-05-09 3:07 PM JJakes

Sprained ankle-What are your plans

Started by bananatoes
Views: 854 Posts: 2

2009-02-18 6:18 AM lengthcroft

Sprained Ankle - Tri in 4 weeks

Started by brownlab
Views: 1573 Posts: 10

2007-06-29 9:32 AM trinosaur

I sprained my ankle

Started by rennbuck
Views: 1846 Posts: 7

2007-02-12 9:01 AM scoobysdad

Sprained Ankle????

Started by KSH
Views: 1439 Posts: 10

2006-02-12 9:11 PM oceanannie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I did more therapy, more stretches, more exercises and stopped running for over six months. I am just coming back to triathlon after a year off due to this ankle injury.

date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
In the fall I was running on some trails and rolled my ankle pretty bad. I took a few weeks off from running and let it heal. Every so often, my ankle feels swollen, or off.
date : March 16, 2009
comments : 1
Learn how ART therapy can provide an alternative treatment for conditions such as sprains, strains, tendonitis and tendinosis.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.
date : July 30, 2006
Injuries do happen, and we would like to discuss a few injuries that are common. All of these injuries can fall under the category of what are commonly called overuse injuries.

date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I was a little sore, and today, whenever I bend over to pick something up, standing up again hurts badly. Have I done some sort of permanent damage? What can I do to rehab this area?
date : March 20, 2005
What follows is information that may prove helpful to any triathlete who sustains an ankle sprain.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.