Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Credit Cards that offer flight miles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-05 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Credit Cards that offer flight miles
Before anyone goes all "Suze Orman" on me, I have no debt... not a mortgage, car loan, credit card debit, etc. NOTHING. NO DEBT.

Now that we got that out of the way... when I do use a credit card I pay it off immediately. I'm thinking I should start using this to my advantage and I should get one that offers flight miles as a reward for using the credit card.

Anyone have a credit card with this type of reward? How has it worked out? Which company is it, so I can sign up if I want to!

2013-09-05 1:04 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Credit Cards that offer flight miles
First,

Which airline are you most likely to fly? Accumulating more miles on an airline you rarely use or that is inconvient to fly doesn't make much sense to me.

Second,

(Rhetorically) What are your spending habits? Read the fine print and take an honest look at whether you can get all of the bonus miles advertised. I looked into the Delta card when I was flying out of SLC regularly, but to get all of the bonus miles, I would have to charge almost $3000/month for several months, and I don't spend that kind of money. In the end, it didn't make sense to sign up for the card (free for the first year, $95/year after).
2013-09-05 1:29 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Around here (the Seattle area), Alaska Airlines has a great deal on their Visa.  You accumulate airmiles on a one to one ratio with dollars spent.  In addition, they give a $99 companion ticket each year which in great for trips to Hawaii.  I make all major purchases on the card and then pay it off.

Alaska Airlines has been great for us but probably not so much in your area.  Maybe one of the airlines hubbed in your area has a similar deal. 

2013-09-05 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Capital One Miles card holder here.

You can actually use the miles/points for tons of different types of rewards (even account credit) but you get the most bang for your buck if you use it for travel reimbursement.

EDIT: I would also offer up the advice to stick with one airline (and hotel chain) and get on their frequent flyer program. MUCH easier to rack up miles for upgrades and freebies if you religiously stick to one company.

Edited by lisac957 2013-09-05 1:38 PM
2013-09-05 1:35 PM

User image

I have a Chase Mileage Plus which links into United - since that is what i've flown with pretty much my entire life - its normally dollar for dollar; and then also have a "mall" function where you can shop and earn points. They also having a dining option - so different restaurants will get you mileage depending on where you are (great way to find little hole in the walls sometimes)
2013-09-05 1:55 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Chase Southwest Card holder here.  I charge almost every monthly billing that will allow me to (gym memberships, some utilities, etc.) plus any major purchase (vacations, etc.).  I also fly SW for work about once a month so the points really add up. 

Like someone said before, it's most important to find an airline you'd use.  SW has their East Coast hub here and I can transfer credits to AirTran if/when we fly to the Caribbean.

Hotel chain points are almost worthless nowadays...I'm gold on Hilton and still barely have enough points for one night at most of their properties.

2013-09-05 2:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Originally posted by lisac957

You can actually use the miles/points for tons of different types of rewards (even account credit) but you get the most bang for your buck if you use it for travel reimbursement.

EDIT: I would also offer up the advice to stick with one airline (and hotel chain) and get on their frequent flyer program. MUCH easier to rack up miles for upgrades and freebies if you religiously stick to one company.

I use the same card and like it a lot... I'm personally not a big fan of a specific miles program because then you are limiting your options for best fare/schedule for your flights.  With the CapOne card it doesn't matter, you still find your best deal and use your points to pay for it.

I use mine for everything that I can... my cell phone auto charges on the card, my cable bill, my trainer road subscription, I use it for gas, groceries, dinner out, you name it... literally anything I can use it for I do.

2013-09-05 2:05 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm a huge proponent of rewards cards.  It's downright criminal to use a credit card that isn't a rewards card IMHO. 

I run a big chunk of my business and personal expenses through a cash back rewards card and make several hundred dollars a month in free rewards $.  Heck, most of my Tri budget comes from those dollars.  lol

As for the air miles cards versus a cash rewards card, I rarely fly, so the miles don't benefit me at all and I'd much rather have the cash.  If I did fly a lot, I'd do a comparison of how many miles you get versus what an average ticket costs and do the math to figure out if the cash or miles would be the better option.  Obviously you get a lot more flexibility with the cash.

If you're responsible with your credit and pay your card off every month then Suzy Orman doesn't apply.  You're not taking on debt, you're just being smart with your money.

My 18 year old son has a cap one student rewards card and he's starting off right by buying everything on his card and paying it off every month.  He loves the free $.  

2013-09-05 2:49 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by tuwood

Obviously you get a lot more flexibility with the cash.

More flexibility but typically much LESS in terms of rewards for the same miles/dollars spent on the card.

For example on the Capital One card for 15,000 miles you can get one of these:

$150 in travel purchases credited
$75 in gift cards 
$75 in account credit
A Cuisinart Blender

So you literally get 2x the monetary value if you use it for a travel purchase (hotel, air fare, etc.).

2013-09-05 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
We have a BOA credit cards that gives us 1-2% cash back depending on the purchase.  I put EVERYTHING (and I mean everything: elec bill, cable, water, down payments for cars, dinners, gas etc..) on the card then pay it off at the end of the month.  I'll get a few hundred $ back every few motnhs.

Edited by TriRSquared 2013-09-05 3:05 PM
2013-09-05 3:29 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

That sounds good!

I fly with American the most, so I would probably go with them, but I looked at their CC offerings and they have a $95 per year service charge. Not sure about that one. Basically I'm paying $95 a year to get rewards.

2013-09-05 3:30 PM
in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by TriRSquared

We have a BOA credit cards that gives us 1-2% cash back depending on the purchase.  I put EVERYTHING (and I mean everything: elec bill, cable, water, down payments for cars, dinners, gas etc..) on the card then pay it off at the end of the month.  I'll get a few hundred $ back every few motnhs.

That sounds good! Yes, I would see myself putting most items on the CC and paying it off immediately.

2013-09-05 3:46 PM

User image

Queen BTich

I use Southwest and living in Dallas, you can fly most anywhere they fly from Love field, or use American's card. I'd compare the fine print.

I use it for everything I can, and watch the email specials I get: double points on gas, hotel chains, etc.

Also, I go to their website and compare hotel prices when I travel, to the hotel website. For example, foor about the same amount, or a couple dollars more, I can get an extra 750 points by booking through the Southwest site, rather than the hotel site, on top of the point-per-dollar I'm already getting.

I easily get a couple free flights a year. This year I paid for flights to CA twice and Kansas with the points. Obviously I compare the flight/point values and pay for what I'm not willing to waste the points on, and book specials, etc. Just generally trying to maximize value.

2013-09-05 4:44 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Comet

I use Southwest and living in Dallas, you can fly most anywhere they fly from Love field, or use American's card. I'd compare the fine print.

I use it for everything I can, and watch the email specials I get: double points on gas, hotel chains, etc.

Also, I go to their website and compare hotel prices when I travel, to the hotel website. For example, foor about the same amount, or a couple dollars more, I can get an extra 750 points by booking through the Southwest site, rather than the hotel site, on top of the point-per-dollar I'm already getting.

I easily get a couple free flights a year. This year I paid for flights to CA twice and Kansas with the points. Obviously I compare the flight/point values and pay for what I'm not willing to waste the points on, and book specials, etc. Just generally trying to maximize value.

I had this one as well, back in the day. It was pretty good. And the best part is if you wait for the right time you may be able to get 50,000 miles free to start!

ETA: We paid for our flights to IMAZ/Vegas that way.

Edited by mr2tony 2013-09-05 4:48 PM
2013-09-06 6:22 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Originally posted by KSH

That sounds good! I fly with American the most, so I would probably go with them, but I looked at their CC offerings and they have a $95 per year service charge. Not sure about that one. Basically I'm paying $95 a year to get rewards.

It's worth signing up for the card to get the bonus...typically you'll have to spend about $1000 in the first three months or something and then you get a 40,000 mile bonus (give or take).  They will waive the fee for the first year almost always.  You can continue to use the card for a year and earn free miles.  You can close the the card before the $95 annual fee applies OR....you can do what I did.  I called them up and said I'd love to keep the card but I didn't want to pay an annual fee.  I said if I had to pay the annual fee I would close the account.  They agreed to credit the money for the annual fee as long as I made three purchases that month.  Easy peasy.

That being said, I agree that Capital One sounds better for "long term" use.  My only point is that there is nothing wrong with signing up for a card just to get the bonus.  They don't take the miles away if you close the account.  I have almost 100,000 AA miles right now and at least 40k of those were from opening a credit card with them to get the bonus.  I closed it after the second year but only because I was deploying and wasn't going to be spending enough on the card to make it worth my while to try to get the annual fee waived again...I'm hoping that in a few years I can try to get a bonus again. :D

I personally don't have any cards left that purely earn miles.  I had an AMEX that gave pretty decent travel rewards.  Right now the rest of my cards just do cash back bonus.  I don't travel *that* much.

2013-09-06 8:00 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Another vote for the Chase southwest card here. We pay a yearly fee, but it's half of what a ticket costs. We easily get a free ticket every year, and this year may end up with 2 or 3. We pay it off every month, so no interest fees.

2013-09-06 9:36 AM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by jcnipper

Another vote for the Chase southwest card here. We pay a yearly fee, but it's half of what a ticket costs. We easily get a free ticket every year, and this year may end up with 2 or 3. We pay it off every month, so no interest fees.

Yeah, but I don't want to fly Southwest. I don't mind them as an airline. I just can't afford to fly them! So I could only fly them on miles. Ha!

2013-09-06 10:10 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by jcnipper Another vote for the Chase southwest card here. We pay a yearly fee, but it's half of what a ticket costs. We easily get a free ticket every year, and this year may end up with 2 or 3. We pay it off every month, so no interest fees.
Yeah, but I don't want to fly Southwest. I don't mind them as an airline. I just can't afford to fly them! So I could only fly them on miles. Ha!

That's surprising! We just got Southwest earlier this year and the flights, for example, to Chicago are literally half the price of the other airlines that fly there. 

I flew them to California for my Ironman and the cost was within 5% of the other options (so maybe it's only certain routes they are priced super low on) - but the bike shipping was so much cheaper it was a no brainer. 

2013-09-06 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

More flexibility but typically much LESS in terms of rewards for the same miles/dollars spent on the card.

$75 in gift cards 
$75 in account credit
A Cuisinart Blender

So you literally get 2x the monetary value if you use it for a travel purchase (hotel, air fare, etc.).

Which one do you have Lisa?

I looked up Capital One Rewards cards, and found a list of them.

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/rewards/?Log=1&EventType=Lin...

The Venture Rewards or VentureOne Rewards seem like the best ones for me. I can earn all kinds of rewards, and on the VentureOne there isn't a annual fee after the first year.

Now, the Quicksilver Card offers unlimited cash back.

BTW, if I charge groceries and gas, I can easily spend over $1,000 in 3 months to get the rewards for the cards (the first two you get 10,000 miles if you do this). But the Quicksilver offers $100 cash back (?) after spending $500 in the first 3 months.

Maybe I just need to call them to figure it out. Hum.

2013-09-06 10:39 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by KSH 
Which one do you have Lisa?

Just the regular No Hassle Rewards one. They might not offer it under that name anymore, but no fees or anything. I think it's the Venture Rewards card now.

2013-09-06 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
All right, I did some research on the website and it looks like the Quicksilver cash back card will be the best one for me!

2013-09-06 10:59 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by KSH

$75 in gift cards 
$75 in account credit
A Cuisinart Blender

Which one do you have Lisa? I looked up Capital One Rewards cards, and found a list of them. http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/rewards/?Log=1&EventType... The Venture Rewards or VentureOne Rewards seem like the best ones for me. I can earn all kinds of rewards, and on the VentureOne there isn't a annual fee after the first year. Now, the Quicksilver Card offers unlimited cash back. BTW, if I charge groceries and gas, I can easily spend over $1,000 in 3 months to get the rewards for the cards (the first two you get 10,000 miles if you do this). But the Quicksilver offers $100 cash back (?) after spending $500 in the first 3 months. Maybe I just need to call them to figure it out. Hum.

Hubby (employed at Cap One) says that the big difference between Venture and VentureOne is that you earn more rewards on the card with the annual fee.  Basically, if you use it enough to offset the difference in rewards from the annual fee, it's worth getting the one with annual fee.  Hope that helps!

2013-09-06 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by KSH

Odd. I find SW to be very close or actually less expensive than pretty much every other airline out there, other than Spirit, but I don't want to take a four-hour flight that leaves at 1am. Plus their service is way better than most. But, hey, if you hate paying less and getting better service, that's up to you. Besides, you shouldn't be using credit cards anyway -- they're bad for you.
2013-09-06 11:12 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by mr2tony

Originally posted by KSH

Odd. I find SW to be very close or actually less expensive than pretty much every other airline out there, other than Spirit, but I don't want to take a four-hour flight that leaves at 1am. Plus their service is way better than most. But, hey, if you hate paying less and getting better service, that's up to you. Besides, you shouldn't be using credit cards anyway -- they're bad for you.

Oddly, I'll go to Orbitz and price flights... then I go to SW to see if they beat what I see on Orbitz. SW is ALWAYS more expensive.

And I refuse to fly Spirit after flying them last year. NEVER AGAIN.

2013-09-06 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by mr2tony

Originally posted by KSH

Oddly, I'll go to Orbitz and price flights... then I go to SW to see if they beat what I see on Orbitz. SW is ALWAYS more expensive.

And I refuse to fly Spirit after flying them last year. NEVER AGAIN.

But you dont get any reward points by using Orbitz!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Credit Cards that offer flight miles Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Credit card rewards miles--need creative idea

Started by big joe
Views: 629 Posts: 7

2009-04-27 1:27 PM merlin2375

If you have Department Store Credit Cards, or any Credit Cards... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SweetK
Views: 3134 Posts: 72

2009-03-17 10:21 AM cardenas1

What is your credit card debt? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by eberulf
Views: 2831 Posts: 53

2008-11-24 10:09 PM latrina

Grrr....Credit Card Thieves Pages: 1 2

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1952 Posts: 35

2008-10-21 8:52 AM surfwallace

Using 'Wrong' Credit Card Pages: 1 2

Started by GolfMark
Views: 973 Posts: 27

2007-05-18 11:47 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : December 14, 2004
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 2
I used mine all of the time. They were handy, entitling me to drink, smoke cigarettes, binge on food and pursue other addictive behavior.