http://www.hfpracing.com
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 27m 9s
Overall Rank = 1037/1200
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

On Saturday, we drove from Rockford (after spending the night at my mother in law's) to Racine (with a stop at the Jelly Belly factory). Dropped off my bike and picked up my race stuff. Got my number #444! Hurrah. Checked into the hotel. Had dinner with some of the BT folks, which was great. Back to the hotel for an early bed time. Up at 4:30am. Oatmeal and coffee. Bill and I then drove to the race site. Set up transition, pumped up the tires. Heard a big *bang* as we walked to the transition area, some some folks had flats waiting for them I'm sure. After that we started walking over to the swim start. Heard the MC, who is a fellow from Minnesota who MCs almost all the tris back home, so I made a point to go over and say 'hi'. It was nice to have a familiar voice!
Event warmup:

Four endurolytes, an egel, and some water. Got into my wetsuit and did a little swimming. Before I knew it, the first wave was going and it was almost time for me to start!
Swim
  • 45m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was so cool and wavey, it reminded me of being a kid swimming in Lake Superior. I had a good swim. My time includes the 2 minutes it took me to run from the swim 'finish' to the transition area, but i still finished around my goal, which was 40-45 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't draft at all, and stayed out too far from the bouys.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Transition went faster than I expected. I was hoping for under 3 minutes. If I add in the run from the beach, then it was more like 5 minutes! Took 4 more endurolytes with water.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the bike right away. Got into a good cadence, around 90-95. I didn't look at my average speed until much later. Almost crashed at one point when I was shifting and had taken my hand off my aero bars (clip ons) and sort of swerved. Luckily I was camped out to the right to make room for all the VERY fast guys on VERY nice tri bikes, so I went into the very loose gravel instead of swerving into someone. I was probably going about 22 mph at the time, but somehow managed to get myself back up on the blacktop. Yikes. At about mile 30 or so, I ended up chatting with another woman for a while. She has three boys, so we talked about kids and racing and what not. After a while, I went ahead, then she caught up, then a few miles later, she went ahead and that was that. Checked my average speed at about mile 40 and it was around 19.9, better than I could have expected. I was feeling GREAT, watching the fast boys whiz boy. And then, my crotch started to hurt. I mean, REALLY hurt. Might have picked up some sand on the swim, because I've never had a problem with my saddle or tri suit before...but wow. OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! Every bump for the last 16 miles was painful. I tried to keep my cadence up, but was lifting myself out of the saddle for the bigger bumps and this really cut into my time. I was probably <18 the last 16 minutes of the ride. The last couple miles I sped up because I just wanted to be off my bike. I wasn't looking forward to the run, but I was very motivated to get off my bike.

My nutrition seemed to work though, because overall I felt fine on the bike. Drank the two bottles of efuel I brought with me, plus picked up 2 bottles of water to use with some gels and the efuel concentrate. Didn't use everything, but used enough. Stopped eating/drinking at about mile 45 so that my tummy would have time to absorb everything and not be sloshy on the run. My goal was to finish the bike in under 3 hours, and I did that despite the sore parts.

Maybe use some chamois cream before the race? I use it before every long ride to avoid chaffing, but never use it when I have raced in the past. Probably would have washed away on the swim, but maybe not. Body glide????
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Just as I was entering transition, there was Bill, his mom, and the girls! It was SOOOO nice to see them. Once I was in transition, I started to feel like I should be done. Seeing them helped me keep going. Fresh socks, shoes on, 2 more endurolytes. Ran to the fence to give Bill and the girls a kiss each, then headed out.

Time wise, I should have moved faster and waved instead of walking over and giving kisses...but I was just trying to finish this one and needed a little lovin'!
Run
  • 2h 37m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, the run. As I exited the transition area, there was Ella. She wanted to run with me...the whole run. We ran a little ways, then had to back track to find Bill so that I could hand off Ella. She and Fiona were both REALLY upset. I stopped for several minutes to hug and kiss them both. I needed that as much as they did. Ella was still crying as I started running again, but I could hear her yell a strained "GO MAMA GO! *sniff sniff*' :(

Started out with a slow shuffle. Made it to Mile 1 in 13:00...but my pace was probably more like 9:30-10:00 given the time I was with the kids. It didn't matter to me. At this point I knew I wouldn't finish in under 6 hours, but I knew I would finish and found an easy run pace that felt good, probably in the 10:00 min mile range based on my time between miles 1 and 3. At about mile 3, the music started. You'd have thought in t2 I ate a bean burrito followed by chugging a 2 liter of Coke. Farts. Burps. LOVELY! I was like a one woman band. Every time I tried to pick up my pace, it got worse. Worried that it might evolve into things much more unpleasant, I pulled way back. I walked the water stops, taking sips of my egel/efuel mix in my fuel belt bottles, and swigs of water. Alternated running and walking. Sometimes I felt good and ran for several miles in a row...followed by 1/2 mile of walking until I was able to get the music under control and felt ready to go again. This was how the rest of the run went. At the end of the second loop, I threw caution to the wind (ba dum bum). I nearly kissed the mile 12 sign, blowing it a kiss instead, and then RAN the rest of the way! At mile 13, Ella ran out from the crowd in her bathing suit and Keens, and ran the last .1 mile with me, crossing the finish line with me, and getting my finisher's medal for me.

I know I could have pushed harder than I did. My legs still had enough juice to run that last mile and even kick at the end. Just like with my first half-marathon, I wasn't sure what I might need at the end, so I kept things slower than I probably needed to. Add in all the intestinal issues I had this spring, I didn't want to risk not finishing. So, while I'm glad I slowed down....it was still a bummer for me to meet my swim and bike goals, and fart the run away (ha ha).
Post race
Warm down:

Ella and I found Bill, Sandy, and Fi. Checked out the food line tent and decided to bail for a real meal. Had a recovery drink already mixed up in transition. It was warm, but it was something. I was SO happy to be done, that I just wanted to head out, have a beer and a meal and a NAP. I didn't even stay around to look at results. Loaded up my stuff, then sipped on the recovery drink as we headed to the car, changed clothes (ah!), loaded the bike, then drove to Noodles and Co. for lunch. Had a beer, and boy did it taste GOOD! After that, we got some ice cream, then headed back to Rockford.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: Staying so far from the bouys. Bike: Sore crotch, like REALLY sore. Run: Gas. Big picture: Not running enough, not testing out my race nutrition over longer stretches of time. Recuring GI issues this year. and TRAVEL!

Travelling to races is really tough on me. I had cramping and stomach problems before Danskin, and I think it was the travel. I didn't have problem before this race, just on the run, but I blame the travel. The long drives, not sleeping in my own bed, eating my own food, etc. puts my body out of sorts. I can take the driving if we are staying with family and I had a kitchen at my disposal to cook what I need to eat. There are HIM in Minnesota now, two actually, so I may look at doing one of those next year...but I think the only races I will travel to in the future will be races where I have family very close to the race and where I don't have to stay in a hotel.

Just like at any race, I look back and know I could have pushed harder in each event, knowing how I felt at the end and how I feel today (hardly sore at all). Since it was my first time, I just wanted to finish and almost didn't wear my watch at all.

Event comments:

This is an awesome event. Add in the BT dinner that Cindy set up - awesome! I can't imagine having had a different first HIM experience. Even the difficulties on the course were like a right of passage in a way, and therefore - it was perfect. The sunrise that morning, the glorious weather, the at home feeling of swimming in a big lake, corn flowers along the road on the rolling bike course, the hugs and kisses in transition, and the shady spots on the run...I found moment of joy all along the course.

Pictures soon!

Last updated: 2005-10-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:09 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 990/1200
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Riptide Full
Course: Point to point, with a bit against the waves and into the sun at the start, with the waves towards the shore at the end.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:58:56 | 56 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 902/1200
Wind: Some
Course: Very nice, flatish course. Smooth and rough spots.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:37:39 | 13.1 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 15/1200
Performance: Below average
Course: Two out and back loops. Mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 6:37 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: Spirit of Racine 1/2 IM

2006-07-24 7:06 PM
in reply to: #491787

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine 1/2 IM

autumn - 2006-07-24 6:37 PM

Awesome race, awesome report, TOTALLY AWESOME weekend.  I do hope you'll consider doing Spirit again, it was so much fun!  And , um, I have a kitchen  

2006-07-24 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
wow.. you did really great... i was surprised you made it threw the run with all the running you have done...  thank god you body begin to play music for you... to give you the signs .. before something ugly happens... lol...  6:27 is something you should proud of.. finishing the HIM is a huge acheivement...   congrats..   now you just have to pick your next one... or is there a IM In the futuren now? 
2006-07-24 7:13 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Good to see you out on the course, girl! Nice job! I'm totally sore today... can barely walk! Today and tomorrow off work, in fact! I don't think I can sit at my desk for 8 hours without cramping! Good for you for not even being sore!

You should be so proud of yourself! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE First Half IM... check!

How was the ride home?

Let's do it again next year!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

2006-07-24 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Bravo, Autumn!
2006-07-24 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Yay Autumn! Great report!

2006-07-24 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job and great race report. I can totally relate to the stomach issues as they got me in my first 2 attempts at HIM. You continue to amaze us with your solid performances!
2006-07-24 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great race Autumn!!!!
2006-07-24 8:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-07-24 9:36 PM

Expert
Delano, MN
Great job Autumn! I am sooo proud of you! YOur race reports really make my day. Also seeing our reading aobut the mom coming out in you. Those girls are pretty lucky! Way to go!
2006-07-24 9:42 PM

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Congratulations Autumn..Great race.. I saw you with the kids right out of T2 and saw them crying and thought something terrible was happening..Im glad everything was ok.  Great ride on the bike and way to survive the run... Thank Ella again for the Jelly Bellys..Nice meeting you and your family..(BTW...Did your kids ever get dinner?)

JT

2006-07-24 9:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
It was great meeting you and your family and having dinner with you Saturday night.
Awesome race, you kicked butt! Congrats on finishing your first HIM!
2006-07-25 7:12 AM
in reply to: #491811

molto veloce mama
can we crash at your place next year? hee hee. i'm so glad we got to meet at the race. you did a fantastic job!
2006-07-25 7:15 AM
in reply to: #491816

molto veloce mama
i think this is a little like giving birth, not really ready to think about another one yet! and thinking about an IM now is like thinking about birthing twins or triplets! hee hee. seriously though, i will probably do another HIM at one point. now i know i can do it, and know what i need to do differently for the next time. will probably look at liberty or square lake for next year. as for an IM, i don't know. i actually got sort of bored doing this race. i tend to like longer distances because i like having the time to settle into a pace and enjoy myself, but this took SO long. maybe if i get faster? it does have me thinking seriously about doing grandma's next year (at least if the weather is better!).
2006-07-25 7:19 AM
in reply to: #491819

molto veloce mama
next year? you can't be THAT sore if you're already thinking about next year. i need a few weeks to absorb the experience and then figure out next year. sorry you are so sore today! my only sore spots were two blisters on my left foot (pinky and next to the pinky toe), a sore crotch (still), a little sunburn/chaffing on my neck, and a little muscle soreness (but not bad, i can tell i did something, that's all). i had a sore spot behind and below my left knee, but a little tiger balm helped that out. so, overall - i feel fine! i was able to chase the kids around yesterday at the museum. rest and advil and lots of water...and go get a massage!
2006-07-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: #491968

molto veloce mama
they were okay, they just REALLY wanted their mama right then. since i'm at home, i'm not away from them very often. like you and your wife, we don't get out that often, so they are used to being with me. they have been upset at t2 before, but not like this...and since i knew it was going to be at least another 2+ hours before i'd be back, i needed to stop and give them some love...and i needed a hug too.

and yes, they finally got their food. we had them put it in to go boxes, and they didn't charge us for the meals because they were soooo late. they ate them as a late night snack before bed.

i'll be sure to thank ella for you! she missed seeing maya at the park the day of the race. hope your son is feeling better!

Edited by autumn 2006-07-25 7:33 AM

2006-07-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: #492178

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great job and nice race report. I had some "intestinal issues" myself during the race but I thought it was a great event. Need to get my race report posted. Congrats!
2006-07-25 7:36 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Awesome.
Well done.
Any pointers for me next weekend?

Ian
2006-07-25 7:40 AM

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
"a one woman band"--hilarious. Great race, Autumn! Congratulations!!!
2006-07-25 7:53 AM

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Great race report! Glad you were able to make a save on the bike. I had a friend go down in gravel on a training ride this year (ouch!). I also had a bike moment when I was throwing a gel packet Tried to throw it across the street to a volunteer so he could pick it up. no littering. He almost had to pick me up. Too bad about the stomach problems but you should be extremely glad you finished. I saw a lady sobbing just past the finish, I assume she was so overcome by finishing. For me just finishing these is something I am proud of. I am sorry I didn't make the dinner, it would have been nice to have met so many of you. I'll have to make a point of trying to meet up next year (and our kids could have met and played together race day). Goodjob and good luck with future races!!
2006-07-25 8:16 AM

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Awesome race, Autumn even considering the musique d'natur.  I get the toots almost every time I run.  You just gotta bounce 'em out.  :0

Again, congratulations on going long.  Like every other distance, your next will be so much better than your first.

Cheers!

Tom 

2006-07-25 8:24 AM

Elite
South Florida
Nice job Autumn!!  I was wondering how you were doing this weekend.  And I think you should always stop for kisses no matter how much they slow you down.
2006-07-25 8:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI

great, now every run where I have gas I'm going to start laughing thinking about the one-woman-band

great race and great race report Autumn.

2006-07-25 10:22 AM

Champion

LOL....music, I thought for a second you were running with an MP3 player and I was gonna report you to the officials! 

Nice race Autumn...how cool is it to have your kids there cheering for you...ya done good!

2006-07-25 11:29 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine 1/2 IM Rss Feed  

of 2