Overall Rank = 35/449
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/48
Swim
  • 14m 53s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not the start to the race I was hoping for. I got a good jump when the horn went off and charged into the water, but as soon as I dove in I realized that everything seemed really blurry - then it dawned on me that I'd lost my goggles. They had literally come straight off my head, and I had to turn around and walk back through the water to collect them. This is the last time I put the goggles on top of my cap. I had goggle problems the remainder of the swim, with them coming loose and leaking a few more times.

Certainly not the swim I was hoping for, as I just felt off the whole swim, with the shoulders hurting and me just wanting to get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Goggles under the swim cap - rookie mistake, and I know better. Rest of the swim just wasn't good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Nothing to comment on in T1, except that I heard a noise while grabbing my helmet and putting it on. Found out after the race I had cracked the helmet fairing over the ears.

Could have been a bit faster (as usual).
Bike
  • 58m 10s
  • 33 kms
  • 34.04 km/hr
Comments:

I didn't have high hopes for this ride as my bike training had not been very consistent over the pas month. I aimed for a lower power output than normal and felt like I did a good job hitting that target. The race starts out up a slight hill and I got passed straight away by another guy in my AG. I realized pretty quickly that I wasn't going to be able to stay with him, but tried to keep him in sight for as long as possible.

Being in the 4th wave meant the bike course was pretty busy, but people were following the rules, and I didn't have any troubles passing slower riders. I found myself jockeying for position over most of the ride with about 3-4 other riders in various AG's. I found that I was doing a good job staying away on the flats and downhills, but when we hit the short steep hills, guys would just power past me, and it took a lot of effort to reduce the gap after the hill. It really highlighted that this is a weakness I need to work on for next season.

The last part of the ride is certainly the toughest as it's a long gradual climb with some rollers all the way back into town. I felt like I was running out of steam a bit during this last section.

Not much - needed more/better training leading into this race, so considering where my fitness was at the time, I was happy with the performance.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

As normal, I took too long in transition. One guy that I came into T2 with was a good 10sec ahead of me by the time we left.

Speed up...
Run
  • 28m 59s
  • 7 kms
  • 04m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Started out chasing down the guy who left T2 in front of me, but realized just 500M into the run that he was matching my pace and I wasn't closing in on him. After a couple of km, he caught a small group of runners and seemed to slow down to their pace at which point I caught and passed him. I was pushing hard at this point, but the legs felt good, and I had caught a couple of others in the AG. At the turnaround I saw at least 3 guys heading past me in the other direction, and pretty much figured that any chance of a top 5 finish was not going to be in the cards for this race.

I caught another guy in my AG around km 4, but 1 km later the guy I passed earlier in the run came past me. He was still looking strong, and I was starting to fade. I tried to hold his pace, but he opened up a gap of about 50M and I just couldn't close it down. Pushed as hard as possible for the last couple of km, and was pretty much done by the finish.

Nothing. I ran as well as I could on the day.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little, stretched out, and talked with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training was not very consistent for the past month leading up to this race. I ran just a touch slower than last year, but my HR was much higher, and it was similar on the bike, where power was lower but HR was higher.

Event comments:

I always like this race venue, and it's worth coming back again next year.

Last updated: 2013-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:53 | 750 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/48
Overall: 109/449
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:10 | 33 kms | 34.04 km/hr
Age Group: 6/48
Overall: 33/449
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Mix of good roads and rough roads - some short, quick climbs, mixed with a long downhill section and some flats.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:59 | 07 kms | 04m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 4/48
Overall: 25/449
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, and mostly flat with only one small rise in the middle of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-05 8:21 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Orillia Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-09-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Orillia Triathlon - Sprint Course

Bummer on the swim - both the start and how it felt - but that sounds like a great run!  Coming across the line with nothing left in the tank is a great feeling (I think), and getting to race against others in you AG that directly is a blast.

Even with a swim that wasn't what you wanted, sounds like you put down the kind of overall race you wanted - congrats!

Matt

ETA:  I always like to hear about races where there isn't a ton of drafting on the bike.  Thanks for restoring my faith in "us"!

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-09-06 1:45 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Orillia Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Orillia Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Course

Started by sharkbone
Views: 864 Posts: 1

2012-08-05 7:29 PM sharkbone

Orillia Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1788 Posts: 7

2012-08-07 3:54 PM TSimone

Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Sprint Swim & Bike

Started by Scrogs
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2011-11-18 9:14 AM Scrogs

Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1638 Posts: 4

2011-08-23 1:44 PM slornow

Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Course

Started by Redknight
Views: 1721 Posts: 6

2011-08-23 1:31 PM fattyfatfat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.