General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Improving my running speed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-06 3:52 PM

User image

Subject: Improving my running speed
I've been running for 3 months and have seen a lot of improvement. I went from having to stop and walk after 5 minutes to being able to run 5k at about 8 min/mile. Of course, I was slower than that on raceday, running off of the bike (8min 40sec/mile).

I just finished my first Sprint Sunday and would like to focus my run workouts on improving my speed to see if I can get faster by my next Sprint in 6 weeks. I'm going to do bike-to-run bricks after each bike workout, but just brief 1/2 mile cool downs. I run 2x/week. One short session b/w 20 and 25 minutes. One longer session b/w 35 and 45 minutes. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2013-09-06 3:58 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Improving my running speed
Let me be the first of hundreds to suggest that you run more. Two run sessions/week is 3 to 5 too few. Run almost every day. Most of the time at conversational pace. It may not make you that much faster in six weeks but in the long term it will yield pretty amazing results. Your running eight minute miles on just your current run training suggests you have potential. Now go out and run a lot more and see where it gets you.

I will leave it to others to flesh out the details.

Google BarryP run plan if you want to get started on some 'book' learning.
2013-09-06 4:19 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

x2 to what Jason said.

Lots of easy running will benefit most runners.  It's sort of a mental road block that beginners think that running slow/easy will make them slower and that running fast will make them faster.

The truth is most people don't actually need to improve their speed.  Their body is already capable of running faster than they could ever want to run in a race, but they just don't have the endurance to sustain that pace for a given race distance. 

Running lots of miles (increasing slowly) is a great way to improve your endurance.

2013-09-06 6:31 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Coincidentally, I just posted one of Bobby McGee's videos about this very topic to one of my Facebook pages about two days ago. Here's a direct link to the video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHoplOcwzFU&list=PL8E2JaqJ8WPcbFH3SR2Z...
2013-09-06 7:59 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by TriMyBest Coincidentally, I just posted one of Bobby McGee's videos about this very topic to one of my Facebook pages about two days ago. Here's a direct link to the video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHoplOcwzFU&list=PL8E2JaqJ8WPcbFH3...

That's a pretty good video.  OP:  I recommend you watch it.  One caution I'd add to it is this:  he says that 15-20% of your running per week can be 'quality'.  Don't read that as 'intervals'.  He's not saying that if you run, say, 20 miles in a week, then you can do 4 miles' worth of hard intervals.  He's just saying that you can run 4 of those miles at some pace that is harder than 'easy, conversational' pace.

Here's a cautionary tale.  I started running and like you, after I got over the feeling of wanting to die after a mile, I quickly became faster than average in local races.  So people would say 'Wow you've got some potential' and these comments and a bit of early success of course made me want to be faster, which I thought was achieved by training faster and harder.  What I wish those people had also said to me is this:  It takes years to realize that potential.  After 5 years, I'm sure I'm not there yet.  And because of my early impatience, I just ended up injured.

As the others said, just run consistently.  You are early enough in your running career that you probably will see some modest speed gains in 6 weeks.  But if you don't, don't worry.  Don't put much stock in the next race, or the one after that.  

Running is a journey to you don't know where, you don't know when.  It's true for you, it's true for me, it's true for elites.  If you run wisely, you'll occasionally find that you've arrived somewhere interesting.  The alternative is injury and frustration.

2013-09-06 8:09 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Experior

Originally posted by TriMyBest Coincidentally, I just posted one of Bobby McGee's videos about this very topic to one of my Facebook pages about two days ago. Here's a direct link to the video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHoplOcwzFU&list=PL8E2JaqJ8WPcbFH3...

That's a pretty good video.  OP:  I recommend you watch it.  One caution I'd add to it is this:  he says that 15-20% of your running per week can be 'quality'.  Don't read that as 'intervals'.  He's not saying that if you run, say, 20 miles in a week, then you can do 4 miles' worth of hard intervals.  He's just saying that you can run 4 of those miles at some pace that is harder than 'easy, conversational' pace.

Here's a cautionary tale.  I started running and like you, after I got over the feeling of wanting to die after a mile, I quickly became faster than average in local races.  So people would say 'Wow you've got some potential' and these comments and a bit of early success of course made me want to be faster, which I thought was achieved by training faster and harder.  What I wish those people had also said to me is this:  It takes years to realize that potential.  After 5 years, I'm sure I'm not there yet.  And because of my early impatience, I just ended up injured.

As the others said, just run consistently.  You are early enough in your running career that you probably will see some modest speed gains in 6 weeks.  But if you don't, don't worry.  Don't put much stock in the next race, or the one after that.  

Running is a journey to you don't know where, you don't know when.  It's true for you, it's true for me, it's true for elites.  If you run wisely, you'll occasionally find that you've arrived somewhere interesting.  The alternative is injury and frustration.

Excellent!  I'm glad you're back posting.

2013-09-06 10:53 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Let me be the first of hundreds to suggest that you run more. Two run sessions/week is 3 to 5 too few. Run almost every day. Most of the time at conversational pace. It may not make you that much faster in six weeks but in the long term it will yield pretty amazing results. Your running eight minute miles on just your current run training suggests you have potential. Now go out and run a lot more and see where it gets you.

^^^ All of the above. Just run more. Don't buy the special sauce that some will try to sell you. If you can run more and avoid getting injured (or fat), you'll get faster. Possibly much faster.
2013-09-07 9:39 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by colinphillips

Originally posted by wannabefaster

^^^ All of the above. Just run more. Don't buy the special sauce that some will try to sell you. If you can run more and avoid getting injured (or fat), you'll get faster. Possibly much faster.

But wait. I thought you had to train fast to race fast?

• I will let you all decide if I meant that to be in pink or not.............................(besides I could not figure out the html codes for color)
    2013-09-07 10:21 AM
    in reply to: qrkid

User image

I'm still in disbelief. You just have to run slowly for increasing distances for years and hope you get faster. That does not make much sense. Are you sure this is not just some conspiratorial hazing of the new runner?!?!?!?! What about what I've read about tempo runs? Z4 runs? Sprints? Hills?

And re: cadence. I don't get how you run comfortably slow and keep up a 180 cadence? I went for a 5 minute cool down run after my AM bike ride and counted steps for the first time. Think I was at 82 or 84. I was trying to run good form. Not long strides. Actually shorter than usual trying to keep a "high" cadence. Not pushing it. Only went about .6 miles. 7'53"/mile pace. If I were to run slower, as has been suggested, won't my cadence be slower too? If not, it would feel almost like running in place.
    2013-09-07 10:33 AM

User image

Master
    University Park, MD
    Originally posted by PsyTri

I'm still in disbelief. You just have to run slowly for increasing distances for years and hope you get faster. That does not make much sense. Are you sure this is not just some conspiratorial hazing of the new runner?!?!?!?! What about what I've read about tempo runs? Z4 runs? Sprints? Hills?

And re: cadence. I don't get how you run comfortably slow and keep up a 180 cadence? I went for a 5 minute cool down run after my AM bike ride and counted steps for the first time. Think I was at 82 or 84. I was trying to run good form. Not long strides. Actually shorter than usual trying to keep a "high" cadence. Not pushing it. Only went about .6 miles. 7'53"/mile pace. If I were to run slower, as has been suggested, won't my cadence be slower too? If not, it would feel almost like running in place.

Nope, we're deadly serious. It's really simple. Don't overthink it - save that for swimming or biking.

Based on your profile pic, it looks like you're a little over 21 years old. So the biggest barrier to becoming a fast distance runner is injury. Run lots, be light, don't be injured, and you will be faster.

*Why* it works so well is not so well understood. But there's decades worth of evidence that it does. And "run slowly" is relative. I do almost all of my running 1:00 - 1:30 per mile slower than my 10k pace. That's quite comfortable, but I don't feel like I'm crawling. I do zero speedwork (due to injury concerns), but I'm setting PRs in my mid-40s. Same is true for other middle-aged runners around here.
    2013-09-07 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
    Waukegan, IL

I didn't believe it either. Then I trained for a marathon, which had me doing a lot of running slower than I was used to. A whole lot of running slower than I was used to. 2 weeks after that marathon and several 60 mile running weeks mostly slow, I crushed my 5k pr by over a minute and a half.

I am now a believer of "mostly slow, sometimes fast."

2013-09-07 12:32 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

You run easy-paced to build up distance so that you can eventually do the tempos and intervals. But new runners doing low volume normally see their easy pace come down hugely simply by doing more mileage. If you are only running twice per week, about an hour total, it will be hard to see any real gains. And any speed work is potentially risky to you tendons, smalls muscle, connective tissues, etc. because they haven't had a chance to adapt to the load. That's when new runners get injuries like tendonitis, ITband, PF, etc.

So I agree with the others... run more, mostly easy, and then eventually introduce some faster running.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-09-07 12:37 PM
    2013-09-07 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
    Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by PsyTri I'm still in disbelief. You just have to run slowly for increasing distances for years and hope you get faster. That does not make much sense. Are you sure this is not just some conspiratorial hazing of the new runner?!?!?!?! What about what I've read about tempo runs? Z4 runs? Sprints? Hills? And re: cadence. I don't get how you run comfortably slow and keep up a 180 cadence? I went for a 5 minute cool down run after my AM bike ride and counted steps for the first time. Think I was at 82 or 84. I was trying to run good form. Not long strides. Actually shorter than usual trying to keep a "high" cadence. Not pushing it. Only went about .6 miles. 7'53"/mile pace. If I were to run slower, as has been suggested, won't my cadence be slower too? If not, it would feel almost like running in place.

You say you want to run faster, but what you really want to do is slow down less, right?

Here's what I mean:  Run one lap of a track as fast as you can.  I guarantee it will be at a much faster pace than you can run a 5K, so the problem isn't that you can't run fast enough, it's that you can't maintain the faster pace as long as you'd like.  In other words, you're not limited by speed, you're limited by endurance.

Understanding this is the first step in understanding why you can get "faster" by running a slower pace for a greater weekly training volume.  Training to build endurance (improving the efficiency of your aerobic energy pathways), will net better results than training to run faster (short intervals with long rest focused more on top end speed that improve the efficiency of your anaerobic energy pathways).

2013-09-07 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    , Kobenhavns Kommune

You've been running for 3 months 2x/week? First thing to do is to run more frequently, then gradually increase volume, do longer runs. It's about building the strength to avoid injuries and build the endurance to do hard workouts. And it doesn't come overnight, be patient. Some say that it takes two years to become a runner, both physically and mentally, so don't get distracted by short term goals. Doing too much too soon and going too fast is recipe for injuries.

Off the record: Yes, of course nobody here wants you to get better than us! All advice here is crap and misleading :P
    2013-09-07 2:09 PM
    in reply to: #4849002

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    As others have noted running 2x a week for a maximum of 1:10 will not help you gain speed or endurance. Sure tempo runs and speed work can help you get faster at shorter distances but you need to have a solid running base first. Running speed work on a low base mileage will only lead to injury. Look to increase your running to 4-5 days a week with one of those runs about twice as long as the others. Slowly increase your mileage each week and you will see a significant increase in both speed and endurance after a few months.

No what others have said is not a joke, there is no quick fix.
    2013-09-07 2:39 PM

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan

Oh I do lots of hard runs. Tempo runs. Intervals. Puke inducing hill repeats. Long runs that make me want to cry when I see them on the schedule. You can get there if you want to. I have thousands of miles in my legs over the last few years which makes them much more injury resistant when I abuse them this way.

You will make great gains by just running a lot more. I suspect that over six months or so (or even quicker) you will notice that you are still doing easy runs but your pace will have increased dramatically for the same effort level. It is crazy to one day look down at your Garmin and realize that you are doing your easy recovery run at what used to be your "all-out" 5K pace. It doesn't happen overnight and sometimes it is hard to be patient enough to keep doing it.... but triathlon training (and running training) is all about patience. If you want to be faster in four weeks it might be hard to do. If you want to lay out a four year plan and stick to it..... well, you might make a pretty great triathlete.

2013-09-07 3:29 PM

User image

So, I think I'm getting the picture. It's hard not to think short-term because I'm new at this, and what keeps me going right now is the idea that I will continue to improve and mark my improvement by performance.

A couple issues come up: I'm in training for a couple Sprint tri's and am using a training schedule that has me bike 2x/week, run 2x/week, and swim 3x/week; M-Sun: swim-bike, rest, swim-run, swim, bike, rest, run. It is admittedly aimed at building volume. Says 2 days rest is important to prevent injuries. How to superimpose 5 days of running on an already busy schedule? The runs are either "short" or "long". How to figure out what my "base" is?

Also, any thoughts on the cadence business I mentioned before?
    2013-09-07 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
    Wilmington, NC

So, I think I'm getting the picture. It's hard not to think short-term because I'm new at this, and what keeps me going right now is the idea that I will continue to improve and mark my improvement by performance.

A couple issues come up: I'm in training for a couple Sprint tri's and am using a training schedule that has me bike 2x/week, run 2x/week, and swim 3x/week; M-Sun: swim-bike, rest, swim-run, swim, bike, rest, run. It is admittedly aimed at building volume. Says 2 days rest is important to prevent injuries. How to superimpose 5 days of running on an already busy schedule? The runs are either "short" or "long". How to figure out what my "base" is?

You are going to get alot of people disagree with me on this. Do not worry about cadence. Just run. Your biggest concern at this point in time is getting out and just running.
    No need to make something simple into something complex. Start getting out there more than 2x/week and run. I have never and I mean not once in my life counted my running cadence. I am 43 and done my share of running and I do ok at it without having a clue about my cadence. Some reason triathletes and especially newer triathletes love to get caught up in all sorts of technical stuff when they should just run.

Good luck.
    2013-09-07 3:50 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

The thing about those beginner plans is that they are really only designed to get you to the finish line. If you want to improve speed you have to be doing the sport more than twice per week. At least three but eventually 4-5. Any less and you're really only able to maintain.

Most people don't take two full rest days per week- I take one every two weeks usually. To fit it all in most days have two workouts, often back-to-back.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-09-07 4:11 PM
    2013-09-07 5:10 PM

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan

On the two days that say rest, go for a super easy 30-40 minute run. Super easy!. I am often guilty of thinking that my running pace should always be fast. You don't need two full days/week off for rest. You just need some days where you aren't working too hard. Add a short, two mile transition run off the bike on one of your bike days and all of a sudden you have a very doable five day a week run program going.

Cadence. I tend to agree with someone above who advised not to complicate things. You are right, as you run slower, your steps get very short and it is almost like running in place, except you are moving forward......

My running cadence (and I haven't taken the time to count it in several years) is remarkably consistent from slow recovery jogs up to hard 1/4 mile repeats. My stride gets longer, with the longer part of the stride being behind me, not in front.

Admittedly, I have been doing this for awhile (not as long as many on this board) but here is my training schedule last week:

M. Easy 30 minute run. Swim.

T. Swim. Hard bike intervals.

W. Bike in AM, Bike in PM. exactly the same interval workouts (I actually skipped the morning ride on this day. Bad triathlete!)

Th. Swim. Medium distance run with some hill work (I went too hard on this run and it hurt the next day's bike workout).

F. Bike in AM. Swim in PM

Sa. Long bike (most weeks would have a swim on this day too)

Su. Long run (planned for tomorrow)
    2013-09-07 6:01 PM

User image

Champion
    Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by qrkid

You are going to get alot of people disagree with me on this. Do not worry about cadence. Just run. Your biggest concern at this point in time is getting out and just running. No need to make something simple into something complex. Start getting out there more than 2x/week and run. I have never and I mean not once in my life counted my running cadence. I am 43 and done my share of running and I do ok at it without having a clue about my cadence. Some reason triathletes and especially newer triathletes love to get caught up in all sorts of technical stuff when they should just run. Good luck.

Not me.  I've checked my cadence from time to time out of curiosity but never tried to do anything about it.

If you run a lot, wisely, you will develop good form, and if you develop good form, you will have an appropriate cadence.

FWIW, it is entirely possible to run at any pace you care to name with a high cadence -- just shorten your stride.  Stride length is the best way to regulate pace.

2013-09-07 6:01 PM

User image

Champion
    Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by qrkid

You are going to get alot of people disagree with me on this. Do not worry about cadence. Just run. Your biggest concern at this point in time is getting out and just running. No need to make something simple into something complex. Start getting out there more than 2x/week and run. I have never and I mean not once in my life counted my running cadence. I am 43 and done my share of running and I do ok at it without having a clue about my cadence. Some reason triathletes and especially newer triathletes love to get caught up in all sorts of technical stuff when they should just run. Good luck.

Not me.  I've checked my cadence from time to time out of curiosity but never tried to do anything about it.

If you run a lot, wisely, you will develop good form, and if you develop good form, you will have an appropriate cadence.

FWIW, it is entirely possible to run at any pace you care to name with a high cadence -- just shorten your stride.  Stride length is the best way to regulate pace.

2013-09-07 7:14 PM
    in reply to: Experior

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
    This thread is great. I'm coming back from an early season injury and lately most of my runs have been to just get miles under my belt and I don't even look at my speed. This thread gives my plan some validity.

I've also learned I need to run more often. So I thank you for the advice!
    2013-09-07 8:11 PM
    in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
    Burbs

Another vote for volume.

Run lots. Mostly easy, sometimes hard.

I went from a 4:50 marathon to a 3:50 marathon in a couple of years by not doing (much) speedwork. I just increased my mileage - slowly.

I do speedwork now - as part of my training plan - but I have the base for it. .... and it's a small amount compared to my overall weekly mileage

Trust us!

2013-09-07 8:23 PM
    in reply to: trishie

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    I get yelled at by all those 'experienced' people who think they know everything here at BT...but I'm going to put it out there again..

General Running Lessons that I've learned...

**Run often-You will improve at racing, become healthier and happier as well as more resistant to injury. This must be accomplished while maintaining balance in your life. Prioritize running appropriately, be disciplined and be consistent.

**Rest enough-Do not become a slave to hard training, racing or your log book. To improve, you must recover and that takes resting and replenishing both your physical and mental stores. Learn to listen to your body. Avoid over training.

These are the most important lessons, actually, based on a 'hard/easy' approach and adhering to many of Dr. Jack Daniel's (and others) principles. Running is fun and that should never, never be forgotten. We are lucky to be able to enjoy this simple act, whether it's for fun, competition through racing, improving health, weight loss or simply stress relief.

General Racing Lessons...

--Training always leads to improvement--There are few sports where this is absolutely true, but it is true of running. Genetics sets the upper limit of achievement (your potential), but adaptation occurs when stress and rest are balanced appropriately and you will get better with training.

--Train for endurance first, then for speed--Build your body to withstand the training stresses by running more total miles/minutes per week. This is the first essential part of base training. It builds resistance to injury by strengthening the entire body-skeleton, muscles and connective tissues. After a period of time, add in intensity (or quality) to really improve.

--Build up to a longer run about once every week or so--This should be about 1/5-1/2 of your total weekly mileage and done once every 7-14 days. I seem to need some extra time to recover from this and 10 days works best for me. I also noticed quite a bit of improvement in my strength and endurance when I was first pushing up to the point of running ~90 minutes once on the weekend and ~60minutes once or twice during the week. Over distance running is critically important to racing success.

--Learn your body--Learn what you like and what works best for you. Also, learn what doesn't work and use this information. I've kept a log book from day#1 and it's helped me improve and not make the same mistakes (too) often. Performing workouts you like and respond well to makes running much more enjoyable. We are all an 'experiment of one', trying to find out what works best-best for each of us, that is

--Avoid injury and setbacks--I'm still working on this one... ...but if you can do it, major gains can be had. In the past my personal failures have come from neglecting #2 and #7 above.

--Become more fit overall--This includes not only endurance but also nutrition, strength, stretching, cross-training etc.

--Use multi-pace training--This is the most important thing, IMO. Not every day or every week, but you should train at faster and slower paces than your goal race pace. Use a variety of paces and workouts to keep it challenging, interesting and fun.

==Periodize--This is really a 'hard/easy' variant with peaking using the principles of specificity. Use training blocks to achieve specific goals and peak for your goal race. Base>Strength>Speed(sharpening/transition)>Peaking>Race

--Believe in yourself--Confidence is key. Visualization is another useful tool. Do not underestimate the power of the mind. Enough said.

On Training...

--Do strides year round--Incorporate some 'form' work and 'neuromuscular training' by running some strides once or twice per week all year. This follows the rules of muscle memory and training specificity. Even during base training, some quicker turnover is important to keep the muscles stimulated and entrained. Strides, pickup or short reps accomplish this very well. I always seem to lose a little speed when I've neglected these, particularly in Base training.

--Do a strong long run--Extend this to a comfortable distance to achieve 'time on your feet' and then add in some intensity to this run. It could be a bit quicker pace overall, fast finish, tempo portions or even a progression run. This is a critically important piece of the marathon puzzle that can pay huge dividends.

--Do lots of tempo running--You can improve with this type of training long after reaching your maximum miles or V02max-even after you think you have reached your plateau. It's lower stress than interval training, too, decreasing injury risk. Especially useful for the Boomer crowd. Varied workouts include 20-40 minute continuous runs at a 'moderately hard' pace or tempo/cruise intervals of 1-2 miles with a minute or two rest in between, or countless other variations. This is one workout that can be done virtually every week with little injury risk and big time steady gains.

--Work in a medium long run during the week--This is an often overlooked piece of training (except those who follow Pfitz...) that builds enormous strength to hold a moderate pace and will pay off for marathon training as well as shorter races.

--Interval training will improve your speed--Be cautious as you approach track work but welcome the splendid improvements to be had. Allow for proper recovery and ease into speed work and do plenty of stretching. A cutback week in volume and intensity should be considered after several weeks of fast running. This is bread and butter for speed sharpening and the track is a fun place to work out and train!

--Allow recovery to be as slow as necessary--Even not timed! Gasp!! 20-40 minutes or whatever the equivalent is in miles, works for most people. Sometimes you need more than one recovery workout or day. Pay attention to recovery and learn what you need so you can progress. Recovery can vary from passive (no running) to active (walking/jogging/light running). It is not an 'easy' run and it is not a workout. The purpose is to allow the legs to recover enough to benefit from the next workout.

==Easy running is not recovery running--This is my latest 'enlightenment' as I've learned that I'm pretty lazy for several days after a hard workout, even though I've recovered enough to work a little bit harder. Do not practice running slowly, but recover enough and take the time needed to do the next workout at the prescribed pace. There is a training benefit from easy running and that is why lots of easy miles help. Do not overlook this.

--Get help when needed--Seek out professionals when needed...whether it's to check your stride or shoes at the local running store or getting a concerning symptom like chest pain/leg pain or breathlessness-seek expert help if something is out of whack. Consider getting a coach, if appropriate.

--Do some 'sub tempo' or MP runs--A terrific way to train for the 1/2M or marathon, but it also helps with shorter distance racing. The experts are finally coming around to eliminating the term 'junk miles'. There is still a benefit in this range, but it is still best to hit the desired paces of planned workouts...

--Training for longer, endurance races like the marathon is a spectacular way to develop aerobic fitness--There is improvement in racing times from the 1 mile to the marathon--with marathon training. Seems weird, but it works.

--Learn paces for training and racing--Know your paces and learn to race with even pacing. This has been proven enough for me by my own experience and well validated by so many others that I'm a big believer. After learning how to race like this, it is sometimes advisable to go hard and hold on, but that's for a certain few, only. I learned a lot from my HR monitor in figuring out what effort went along with what HR and pace-especially MP and tempo. The monitor is not for everyone, though. I like it to compare race efforts under similar circumstances.

--Tapering helps you peak for your races--Now you just have to figure out how to best taper for yourself, as it's an incredibly individual thing, however. Keep records on how you've tapered for various race distances, as this may help you in the future. Personally, I like to take it really easy 2 days prior to a race (occasionally off totally) and do some really easy miles with strides the day before a race, but everyone is different.

--Wear proper shoes and rotate them--This can help avoid an injury and will prolong shoe life, keeping the cushioning a little longer.

--Adjust goals as needed--Do this during training and especially on race day. Adjust for weather, illness and minor injuries. See the big picture.

--Use association/dissociation--There are times to let your mind wander and times when you must focus and concentrate. Learn to focus on yourself during races and monitor your bodies signals as well as your form and pace. Dissociate when on 'autopilot' in long stretches when you're holding pace easily and at the end of races when you go totally anaerobic-during the final sprint/kick. I was once told to 'run like your hair was on fire' during the final 0.1 of the 5k-a perfect example of dissociation and pushing it when you're very tired. During the majority of the race, though, it pays to pay attention to yourself.

--Practice taking fluids and gels--Find out what works and what doesn't work before race day. Never try things that haven't been practiced on the LR in training. Of course, I believe that the LR is best done with minimal fluids or gels to train the body to handle this type of endurance, and there is an extra boost when doing LR's with gels and fluids but you need to make sure that your GI tract can handle it.

--Run the tangents in the race--I'm shocked by the number of people who sweep outside and run longer than they need to. Don't turn a 5K into a 3.5-4 mile race. Take the shortest distance allowed by running the tangents. It's the way the course was measured.

--Warm up and cool down--Perform adequate warm ups-especially for shorter races or if it's cold. Remember warm up routines that seemed to work particularly well for certain races or during different weather conditions/times of the year. You risk hurting your 'engine' or 'chassis' if you ignore this.

--Avoid the wind, if possible--There is a small, but definite disadvantage to being in the front of a group of runners. Try to 'share the load' of front running with others, when able.

--Be efficient--Emulate good running form and have an 'elite turnover' . Most seem to have a quick cadence that stays around ~180 steps/minute-per Dr Daniels. I'm convinced that it lessens landing shock injury-per my many orthopedic MD friends.

Good luck!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Improving my running speed Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Improve ENDURANCE while improving overall SPEED??

Started by crmorton
    Views: 1897 Posts: 16

2010-05-05 3:15 PM crmorton

good books on running....want to improve speed in off-season Pages: 1 2

Started by trix
    Views: 2095 Posts: 34

2009-10-09 12:59 PM Daremo

Improving my running speed

Started by cawhite69
    Views: 1731 Posts: 16

2008-01-02 12:29 AM cawhite69

Has anyone dramatically improved their run speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by krludwig
    Views: 2553 Posts: 32

2007-10-03 1:28 AM KSC

IMPROVE RUNNING SPEED

Started by p4406
    Views: 2176 Posts: 20

2005-09-27 8:03 AM p4406
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 13, 2012
    author : KarbonSpeed
    comments : 2
    "These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : April 23, 2009
    author : Team BT
    comments : 1
    Incorporating strides to improving your cadence, be light on your feet and improve your run times.
    date : October 11, 2007
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 2
    When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?

date : October 5, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 0
    Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.
    date : June 14, 2005
    author : smeeko
    Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : December 27, 2004
    author : gsmacleod
    comments : 1
    I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!
    date : October 17, 2004
    author : mbologna
    One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : smeeko
    I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.