General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ways to distinguish myself for spectators during triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-06 4:53 PM

Subject: Ways to distinguish myself for spectators during triathlon
I'm looking for ideas for ways to distinguish myself better for spectators that come to watch me at an upcoming triathlon. I've bought my bike, cloths, helmet, etc for function, not fashion, and most of the time they end up being pretty much the same as what everyone else has - mostly black, blue, and gray.

The last time I did a triathlon, my friends and family had a hard time finding me, especially during the bike leg. I don't really expect anyone to find me during the swim . Bike and run are the two main ones where I'm looking for suggestions!

I tried weaving some yarn into my braided pigtails today, but it really wasn't very visible even with bright colors. Looking for other options for my helmet/hat, hair, upper body that might help out!

2013-09-06 5:52 PM
in reply to: catrobson

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ways to distinguish myself for spectators during triathlon

as far as I know, I don't believe anyone sells a fluorescent tri suit (or at least tri top) which is really what you need, but this one might work:

http://www.epixgear.com/technocolor

2013-09-06 6:24 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Spray paint your helmet some bright color?  Wear a similarly bright and colored running hat?
2013-09-06 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4849091

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
I saw a guy do a 10k in a gumby costume waving an American flag the whole way. Ran a 7 flat pace. You could do that.

Seriously though, show them what you and your bike look like and wear a kit that stands out.
2013-09-06 6:32 PM

User image

If you train hard enough so that you're winning the race, it's always easier for spectators to tell who you are.

Just when training in general, the two things that tend to pop out from a long distance to me are arm warmers and compression socks.  Especially if they are bright colored.  When you're in the aero position, lots of times all you see is the person's helmet and their arms...so even a bright colored jersey sometimes get's "hidden."  A bright colored top will always help on the run, but nothing says "look at me" better than bright pink compression socks.

2013-09-06 6:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Wear the jersey I wore.  I was polka dot guy

Edited by ChrisM 2013-09-06 6:37 PM

2013-09-06 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I wear fluo gren arm coolers. You can see me coming a mile away.
2013-09-06 6:48 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Clempson

I saw a guy do a 10k in a gumby costume waving an American flag the whole way. Ran a 7 flat pace. You could do that. Seriously though, show them what you and your bike look like and wear a kit that stands out.

At most of the local runs in my area Jamba Juice has a handful of runners wearing banana costumes.

2013-09-06 7:35 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

If it's cool enough for arm warmers there are a ba-zillion styles that really stand out. I have ones that are black/orange flame, tye-die, blue argyle... 

And then this happened. Totally not on purpose- I had to improvise at Target at the last minute - but boy did I stand out. Those are ladies fashion socks on my arms and gardening gloves. 

OR, go the super fun route and wear a costume. I regularly run in a tutu.

Edited by lisac957 2013-09-06 7:38 PM
2013-09-06 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
That is totally awesome! Funky and functional!

I'm in the "nothing I own matches" camp as are a few others here.. I usually try to wear an eye-catching clothing/hat combo (royal blue and electric salmon, fluorescent yellow and red) or stuff that clashes to help me stand out, but realistically, i'm usually near the back, so the crowds have thinned considerably and I'm easy to find!

Edited by pilot_e 2013-09-06 7:43 PM
2013-09-06 9:43 PM
in reply to: pilot_e

Hire someone to race behind you screeming like a banshee.

2013-09-06 9:45 PM
in reply to: Portlander

Elite
Denver, Colorado
The simplest solution: RUN NAKED!
2013-09-06 11:48 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Similar issue here--I usually race in Singapore with a zillion other people, most of whom are wearing the same 2XU onesie as I am. I don't even stick out much from the Asians since I'm skinny, dark-haired, and not that tall. My attempt has been a bright pink running hat. It's from 2XU but I think Reebok has similar; also in bright purple and orange. It hasn't worked yet, but that's probably because the person I was trying to connect with either arrived after I left or was racing when I was and I forgot and took the hat off after.

On the bike, not sure what you could do. Bright compression socks/arm warmers would work in a cool race, but not a hot one. I have stickers on my bike but they're not for visibility/show, just causes I support. I'm not sure if someone could pick ME out of a crowd by the stickers, but I'm pretty sure some of my Singapore competition could identify my bike in transition by now--it's the crap low-end Trek roadie covered in animal conservation stickers, next to all their fancy Cervelos with race wheels. If you got a bright enough sticker, it might help. I'd send you a Lao "I brake for elephants" sticker if I could!
2013-09-07 12:03 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Stick to the roots of the sport....speedo. Been wearing one all year and I haven't had more fun then when I race with the speedo
2013-09-07 12:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Put your smartphone in your bike bag or jersey pocket, with an app turned on, so your friends can track you. I don't know which app. 'Find My Friends'?

Yes, I know, before I get flamed, it *might* be against the rules *technically*, but if you're not using it in any way as 'support' then I say no harm, no foul. If you're a podium contender it might be different.

2013-09-07 1:37 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by catrobson I'm looking for ideas for ways to distinguish myself better for spectators that come to watch me at an upcoming triathlon. I've bought my bike, cloths, helmet, etc for function, not fashion, and most of the time they end up being pretty much the same as what everyone else has - mostly black, blue, and gray. The last time I did a triathlon, my friends and family had a hard time finding me, especially during the bike leg. I don't really expect anyone to find me during the swim . Bike and run are the two main ones where I'm looking for suggestions! I tried weaving some yarn into my braided pigtails today, but it really wasn't very visible even with bright colors. Looking for other options for my helmet/hat, hair, upper body that might help out!

I second the "brightly colored accessories" comments....arm coolers and/or warmers, bright colored hat, bright colored knee-high socks, etc.  For IM's I also wear bike jersey's for the run (which are limitless in color and design options) and switch to a regular running shirt for the run.

Bright bar tape can be useful on the bike too.  My tri bike has lime green accents so I went for lime green bar tape...it stands out in transition.  Except for that time at IMFL where the girl next to me had the EXACT same bike with green bar tape...seriously, how often will THAT happen?

2013-09-07 4:39 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
I wear a hot pink aero helmet on the bike, my peeps have no trouble spotting me
2013-09-07 4:53 AM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Where do you get those?? That would be cool, match my running hat, and go perfectly with my crap bike and crap biking.
2013-09-07 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
I don't have a tri top....but I do have red tri shorts. I use a tie-dyed regular cotton t-shirt for the bike and run. I am very distinguishable.

My family has said that they could tell 100% when I was coming down the road. It was weird to stick out so bad at first, then people at races I didn't know started recognizing me from other races as the tie-dye guy. So now unless I can find an audacious tri top, I'm sticking with the tye die t-shirt.
2013-09-07 9:24 AM
in reply to: AtlantaBill

User image

NC
Originally posted by AtlantaBill

Yes, I know, before I get flamed, it *might* be against the rules *technically*, but if you're not using it in any way as 'support' then I say no harm, no foul. If you're a podium contender it might be different.

The endurance community continues to amaze with its desperate attempts to justify breaking rules.

2013-09-07 9:26 AM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

All my kits have orange in them (and not many do), so my family/friends usually spot the wobbly orange from a goodly distance.

Better half always has neon pink/purple/green compressions calf sleeves that stand out from a mile - often matched (or creatively mis-matched) with a similarly colorful tank.  Hard to miss THAT pace booty!

Matt

2013-09-07 10:05 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

I have a bright blue with big yellow flower on the side helmet cover. I bought it a couple of years back at a craft fair. It doesn't make me any faster but I get lots of nice helmet comments (whether they are sarcastic or not sometimes I don't care)
2013-09-07 10:59 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Where do you get those?? That would be cool, match my running hat, and go perfectly with my crap bike and crap biking.

This is the one I have, its a lot brighter in person than it is in the picture

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=3&cat...
2013-09-07 11:38 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by bcagle25 Stick to the roots of the sport....speedo. Been wearing one all year and I haven't had more fun then when I race with the speedo

I have to agree with bcagle here. I had never met him, but knew it instantly both times he passed me at races this summer during the run. Interestingly, my neighbors were impressed (or weirded out) that i knew who he was and which age group he was in.

2013-09-08 12:00 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Goosedog

Originally posted by AtlantaBill

The endurance community continues to amaze with its desperate attempts to justify breaking rules.

Carrying a cell phone in a saddle bag may actually not be against the rules. I have actually been at race briefings where they specifically told participants this was ok as long as they didn't take the phone out during the race.

Also, the USAT rules language that would apply to this scenario speaks more to personal audio devices and headphones. I know the water gets murky because most peoples' phones play MP3 files...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ways to distinguish myself for spectators during triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Whats your best ways of saving time during a training program

Started by kocourek
Views: 1757 Posts: 21

2011-10-13 3:55 PM kocourek

Spectators finding you during HIM

Started by babalaco
Views: 999 Posts: 6

2011-07-09 8:37 AM BikerGrrrl

50 ways to identify triathlon obsession

Started by getfitfast
Views: 1942 Posts: 17

2010-06-30 8:03 AM Apotheosis

Things I have learned about myself thru triathlon

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1237 Posts: 6

2010-06-16 7:29 AM jason808

Spectator at First Triathlon: Observations

Started by stupidnickname
Views: 2577 Posts: 18

2005-09-21 8:22 AM apw0397
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2012
author : AnnabelAnderson
comments : 1
This is an article about attending my first triathlon (as a spectator - I had never entertained the possibility of actually participating one before!), and how inspiring and motivating I found it.

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m

date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!
date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.

date : December 17, 2007
author : GloriaTouchet
As women, many times our identity is lost by all that we do and everyone that we take care of. In the end, I accomplished that and so much more. Along the way, I rejuvenated and redefined myself.