General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m 16s
Overall Rank = 814/995
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 110/126
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 4:00am. Walked the dog, ate bannana and bagel (1/2 with cream cheese, 1/2 with peanut butter), drank 1 cup of coffee, and one bottle of water.
Arrived at race site at 5:15am, got race chip, set up transition and just milled about and talked with CindyK.
Event warmup:

Swam for a couple of minutes on the walk towards the swim start. Everything felt really good physically wise and I had a very confident mental attitude towards starting the race.
Swim
  • 40m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Actual time out of the water was at 38:30 but the official swim time includes a long run up the beach to the transition area. Swimming has been my weakest point so I was very happy with this time. I felt really strong in the water, sighting/navigation was good. Only had one "encounter" with another swimmer and it was me running over him, "oopps", apologized to him and started swimming again.
Started getting calf cramps about 2/3 of the way and they progressed in calf and hamstring cramps and kept getting worse. I stopped kicking and finished the swim with just pulling. I thought the cramps had gone away because there was no sign of them when I got out of the water and I was able to run up to the transition area with no problem.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, I am pretty happy with this time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

No real rush through transition. First race of the year so I was more concerned that I had remembered all the basics (like snapping the helmet, remmebering to grab nutrition etc).

Speed up a little.
Bike
  • 3h 00m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

There was a mount line right out of transition that we had to run to prior to getting on the bike. Somewhere between the rack and the mount line, my bike bag became dislodged from under my water bottles and became lodged between the bike frame and the wheel. I had just clipped in with both feet when I realized that the back tire was jammed, needless to say, the result wasn't pretty and over I went. Figured out the problem fairly quickly and resecured the bag to the frame and headed up the hill.
First 10 miles of the ride (other than the mount) were uneventful and I used them to get comfortable. I was watching my speed and cadence and was in my normal range (spd 18 mph / cadence 90-100) and settling in for the ride. I was wanting to stay between an avg of 18-20mph for the entire ride because I had hoped to save my legs for a really strong run. About mile 10, the cramps that I had experienced during the swim started to return, but instead of the calf and hamstrings, they were in both of my quads. The cramps would come and go during the remainder of the ride. Sometimes instead of the cramps, there would just be a sharp stabbing pain in the quad but it would go away (this mostly occured in the right quad). I was having a really difficult time understanding this. I have logged a lot of miles since the new bike configuration and never had this problem occur to any degree before.
Cindy passed my at about mile 20 and I tried to keep up with her but I wasnt able to, she was flying and I couldn't manage to keep up.
I continued with my fluids and ended up drinking three bottles of Perpetume (sp ?) and two bottles of water. I ate at least two bannanas during the ride too.

When I realized that the cramping was back to stay, I probably should have slowed down even more, but with being as stubborn as I am, I was hoping that with enough fluids and electrolytes (took 4 during the ride) that the cramping would go away. No such luck.
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

As with T1, just wanted to make sure everything was in place. No issues with T2, still using standard laces and no speed laces.
There was a Stop and Dismount line prior to the transition area which limited speed into transition area.

Get comfortable with and get back to using speed laces.
Run
  • 2h 27m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where everything fell apart. Felt pretty good coming out of transition and up the initial gradual hill. Ran into the zoo and there was a gradual downhill portion. About the second or third step into the downhill, both quads just locked and cramped up. No other way to describe it. Had to stop and spend two or three minutes trying to rub the cramps out. They finally went away and I started running again. About 100ft more and the cramps returned harder than before. Seriously thought the race was over at that point. Tried to stretch them out and that relieved the cramps, but the quads remained very sore and tender and I was not able to regain a normal stride or pace. I was able to run a few hundred yards at a time and then would have to stop and rub out the cramps. Saw a guy I know being brought back towards the start on a First Aid cart, looked like they were working on his quads too. At that point, I made up my mind that I was going to finish if I had to walk the rest of the way. I was actually able to finish the run with the shuffle/run/walk program.
I made sure that at every water station to drink at least two glasses of fluids (water or Infinit (gatorade like drink)).
Believe it or not, about 1/2 mile from the end of the run, I felt both quads "pop" and all evidence of the cramping went away. I was actually able to return to a somewhat normal stride for the last 1/2 mile.

Obviously, figure out this cramping issue.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately after crossing the finsish line I headed towards the medical tent. I was concerned about the cramping and possible dehydration despite the amount of fluids I drank during the run. Legs remained very sore but the cramping did not return.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping.

Event comments:

Overll, this is an outstanding event. Very well organized, ran and supported by the community. I would definetly recommend this race to anyone considering doing a HIM that can fit it into their schedule.

Last updated: 2006-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:19 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 81/126
Overall: 0/995
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: Out 300yds to turn buoy, parallel to the shore and then around last buoy and return to shore. Very clearly marked course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
03:00:00 | 56 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 110/126
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back through Racine and county. Nice course. Only one or two rough spots. Much better course than in previous years.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:06
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:27:53 | 13.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 113/126
Performance: Bad
Course: Out of transition, along the beach, up a gradual hill, through the zoo and out onto residental streets and out towards the lighthouse.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2006-07-24 9:54 PM
in reply to: #491958

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Mark,

You displayed some serious mental and physical resolve. I had some similiar cramp/spasm issues as well on the swim...but was not nearly as disabling as yours.  (Maybe we ate the same "bad" pasta?).   Way to hang in there...That physical toughness will serve you well on your way to IM WI.  Great race...Nice to meet you and Cindy. Hope to see you at more races.

JT

2006-07-24 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Congratulations, Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to tough it out.

Good to see you and Cindy...

2006-07-24 10:27 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

Great job Mark!  It was great seeing you once again.

2006-07-24 11:25 PM

Champion

Hey despite the problems Mark, it was still a good race.  Ended up being a real close battle between you and Cindy, next time you'll get her for sure!

2006-07-25 7:40 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
great job, mark. sounds like you had a tough time on the run...but you were still faster than me! next year you'll catch cindy (maybe!). had a great time meeting you and cindy at dinner. thanks for visiting with ella so much. she really enjoyed herself. maybe i'll see you next year.

2006-07-25 8:05 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great job on overcoming the obstacles and finishing the race.
2006-07-25 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Seems like you had a very difficult race, great job sticking with it to the end. Do you think your cramping could be due to not enough elecrolytes? I was told to take at least 4 Endurolytes per hour. I forgot mine and stuff was beginning to slosh around in my stomach but saw they had them at almost all the water stations. I pounded them like mad, like four at the first station, then one or two at each one after that. That helped me a ton and I have heard that you can't really take too many, you'll just pee out what you do not need. I might have been the swimmer you bumped into (I'm slow and was wearing a green cap)! Wish I could have met all of you, maybe next year. Good job toughing out what sounds like a really difficult race!
2006-07-25 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Great job managing your race. You did a great job and it was so much fun to have dinner with you and Cindy Sat. night. Thanks again for arranging it all. Good luck with your training and racing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed